Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

KillHour posted:

If you're feeling nostalgic, I think you can get that game for free now.

Edit: yep.

https://www.gog.com/game/beneath_a_steel_sky

BASS was the game that taught me that ascii is pronounced "rear end key".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Old men are the future.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Old men are the future.

Robotic old men?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

We've had to endure much, you and I, but In a week there will be electronic old men running the world.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

No, within six months.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yes

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 14, 2017

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
On the Steam sale Mankind Divided DLCs are $6 each. But the season pass is $7.50. The season pass gets you both DLCs, right?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Look Sir Droids posted:

On the Steam sale Mankind Divided DLCs are $6 each. But the season pass is $7.50. The season pass gets you both DLCs, right?

I was thinking about buying this and, after reading your question here, I went to look into it. According to this article (see the second paragraph), it includes both expansions, "System Rift" and "Criminal Past", as well as the assault and tactical packs plus some in-game currency, whatever Praxis kits are, and some other fluff.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I dislike DLC that actively just gives you stuff that makes the game easier.

I mean, most single-player games nowadays are already pretty easy. You sort of have to impose restrictions like one quick-save every hour or something to make things a challenge.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yeah, I wish it didn't give me in-game items. But that's significantly cheaper than buying the content I actually want separately.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
You can probably uncheck the individual DLC items you don't want in Steam if it really bothers you. For example when looking at Human Revolution I see that I could opt out of installing the "Tactical Enhancement Pack" if I actually cared.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Plus they seem to be one-use items - you don't get them again on your next playthrough which just seems insane for doesn't-actually-exist items.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That is actually ideal for people who don't want the stuff though, since you can just start a new game after grabbing it and never have to worry about it again. Or just never pick it up, I seem to recall it's optional.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I've hated all subsequent DE's since the O.G and adam jensen is a bland forgettable rear end in a top hat who doesn't even get any fun lines like 'what a shame'

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

yeah, rip

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Motherfucker posted:

I've hated all subsequent DE's since the O.G and adam jensen is a bland forgettable rear end in a top hat who doesn't even get any fun lines like 'what a shame'

I've heard he didn't ask for this? :shrug:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Its been a while since I played Human Revolution but I seem to remember there being at least a few funny lines

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The swimming skill would have been worth it if investing a level in it removed the blue filter effect when you were underwater. :thunk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Its been a while since I played Human Revolution but I seem to remember there being at least a few funny lines

Yeah, rip.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

WELL SHEEIT IF IT AIN'T THE CAP'N HISSELF

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's pronounced "cholo".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Something something, death and taxes, Confucius.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anybody else eagerly awaiting the release of GMDX 9.0? This update is going to focus on making the game itself look better, which is why I assume everybody enjoyed Revision. As someone who really loves challenging games, GMDX is fuckin awesome. Really the only issue I have with it is that it can be a bit too hard at times, but its perfect if you're the kind of player that always has 20 lockpicks, 20 multitools and 20 biocells at all times

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anybody else eagerly awaiting the release of GMDX 9.0? This update is going to focus on making the game itself look better, which is why I assume everybody enjoyed Revision. As someone who really loves challenging games, GMDX is fuckin awesome. Really the only issue I have with it is that it can be a bit too hard at times, but its perfect if you're the kind of player that always has 20 lockpicks, 20 multitools and 20 biocells at all times

It sure looks pretty: http://genericname112.wixsite.com/gmdx

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It is neat to see people still modding Deus Ex, but man, there is only so much you can do to Unreal Engine 1 before the upgrades are kind of in vain, and that's how I feel about most of those screenshots- it's going to be a lot of effort for a marginal improvement. The other changes all sound like something I can get on board with though. I do also appreciate that they're recognizing that level design feeds into gameplay in a way that Revision's team seem to have sort of missed, so it looks better but plays the same. That said, I stand by my original statement that the graphics mods are not much of an upgrade at this point.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It gets dreadfully boring to walk in empty corridors that are clearly mashed together and have one light source. At least make it look less like people designed it and not some random maze from a NES game. If that involves adding a lot of empty rooms that pretends there are rewards for using your items, then all the better.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Well there is one person who recently started to attempt to complete the port of DX to the second Unreal Engine.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Those screen shots look like they modded in a slider for grimy detail textures and then somebody snuck into the Modder HQ through an unsecured air vent and secretly installed a slider mod from Skyrim Nexus which set the range to eleventy billion and no one noticed before they hit F12 a bunch and slapped on the tag ENHANCED ARTISTIC DIRECTION.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

It's easy to forget since MD made him a boring, humorless stiff. He shows more personality in his acidic pronunciation of "Francis" in HR than he does in most of base MD put together

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Does anyone here use reshader (from https://reshade.me/)? Apparently it's supposed to be able to fix a bug where direct3D can't change game contrast or brightness, but installing it doesn't seem to do much.

edit: fixed it by using the dx10 renderer here

http://www.kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm

Psycho Society fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 1, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Look Sir Droids posted:

The "Tactical Enhancement" or whatever they're called packs also include a few costumes. If you want, you can have Adam running around in his HR gear.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Still no GMDX 9.0 :sigh:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Still no GMDX 9.0 :sigh:
Good.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

It's easy to forget since MD made him a boring, humorless stiff. He shows more personality in his acidic pronunciation of "Francis" in HR than he does in most of base MD put together

It had been long enough for me since HR to not really notice the difference till I played System Rift and then, holy poo poo. More emotion and expression in a minute with Prichard than in the entire base game.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

July 8th for GMDX 9.0, apparently.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I bought the season pass on the steam sale cause its the cheapest way to get all the DLC and holy hell is A Criminal Past good. I'm planning on doing a full review later but it makes me so sad the whole series is done cause you can see the designers really got a handle on Deus Ex gameplay by that once. Reminds me a lot of Vandenberg from the original actually.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

drat you for making me want to buy the DLC for a dead franchise. Vandenberg is my favourite level from DX1 and a strong contender for my favourite level in all of gaming.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jojoinnit posted:

I bought the season pass on the steam sale cause its the cheapest way to get all the DLC and holy hell is A Criminal Past good. I'm planning on doing a full review later but it makes me so sad the whole series is done cause you can see the designers really got a handle on Deus Ex gameplay by that once. Reminds me a lot of Vandenberg from the original actually.

It was good, but it could have stood to be a lot harder. Like, if you're doing level design for a maximum security prison, maybe don't make man-size air vents that go directly to the prisoners' cells?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

aniviron posted:

drat you for making me want to buy the DLC for a dead franchise. Vandenberg is my favourite level from DX1 and a strong contender for my favourite level in all of gaming.

How cheap is it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Except GMDX is awesome?

Xander77 posted:

Revision is worth one playthrough because... well, it's more Deus Ex. Literally - it's Deus Ex, + more stuff.

GDMX isn't worth a playthrough because it's literally less Deus Ex. It's Deus Ex - fun stuff you can do.

This is completely backwards. Revision just changes the levels around arbitrarily and removes exploration rewards because they didn't hide things in the levels. Removing exploration rewards is a cardinal sin and a massive part of why I enjoy Deus Ex. Admittedly I only played about 1/4 of the game, but I hated every change I saw because none of the changes added anything to the gameplay. Oh look a new rooftop! Maybe I can get up there if I jump here.. and here.. and here... and yay I made it! Except there's nothing here at all. Repeat that scenario over and over. Don't even get me started about the massive locked door in UNATCO with literally nothing behind it.

GDMX adds this huge page of changes. And now it's going to make the levels prettier too, so in my opinion Revision is obsolete. Any Deus Ex fan that reads that list of changes should be sporting a massive erection. Anyone without a full mast boner can kindly see themselves out.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 2, 2017