Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

What is your VNM's energy source? Propulsion system (both interstellar and maneuvering)? What is your propellant? Are you confident you can procure and refine more at the destination? How do you deal with the hundreds or thousands of years that you spend traveling between stars, constantly bombarded by cosmic rays and impacting interstellar dust at relativistic speeds?

How do you keep a machine that does all of this, that is resilient enough to do all of this, small enough to be functional?

Once you have to push material sciences two steps beyond currently foreseeable technology, beyond what we think can be done but cannot or is impractical to do yet, that's fantasy.

Well I know that you personally will never go to space. Not with an attitude like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Those are all arguments that we can't do it now. In the future, who knows

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Climate Change: Those are all arguments we can't fix it now. In the future, who knows?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

pacmania90 posted:

Get therapy. Seriously.

Lol as if it's affordable in the usa.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

There should be a faux manned space program to entice rich and horrible people and then we just blast them off somewhere lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Lol as if it's affordable in the usa.

He's Dutch.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Oxxidation posted:

He's Dutch.
Going to be pretty expensive to see a therapist in the US then.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Feral Integral posted:

There should be a faux manned space program to entice rich and horrible people and then we just blast them off somewhere lol

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

He's Dutch.

I'm not, I just work in the Netherlands. FYI.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm not, I just work in the Netherlands. FYI.

Even worse.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nah, that would be a waste of a good concrete wall.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Oxxidation posted:

"You must be THIS CULTURED to persist as a species"

you're a negative influence in this thread

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Much like silicon valley billionaires the average sadbrain will when confronted with real-world problems which feel insurmountable invent fictional problems to solve instead. Finding solutions for curbing rising internet-fueled fascism and rapid climate change? Overrated. No what we need to do is to solve how to colonize Mars and how to fight super-AI's, obviously those are the real problems!

This thread has had a lot of stupid derails but this is certainly one of the more out there ones.

Space colonies aren't a solution to climate change. They're a means to propagate the human species by sending tiny numbers of either carefully selected people or rich idiots to make a fresh start and build a new better society unencumbered by the political and societal inertia of earth cause climate change on another planet.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blowfish posted:

Space colonies aren't a solution to climate change. They're a means to propagate the human species by sending tiny numbers of either carefully selected people or rich idiots to make a fresh start and build a new better society unencumbered by the political and societal inertia of earth cause climate change on another planet.

:thejoke:

Just gas the thread.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

:thejoke:

Just gas the thread.

Also, everyone who has posted more than 100 words in this thread needs to be locked up in a psych ward.

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i have an idea: let all who read this thread vow to plant a thousand trees in their lifetime

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
let us stand naked in the forest of our own devising and raise our voices in a primal chorus that reaches all the way to the ivory tower

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
and then when our woodland spreads all the way to the borders of the gluttonous city... we shall make war

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I read the thread and quietly stew over the inevitable apocalypse. It's the best choice.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

city of doves posted:

i have an idea: let all who read this thread vow to plant a thousand trees in their lifetime

You know what, you're on.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

city of doves posted:

and then when our woodland spreads all the way to the borders of the gluttonous city... we shall make war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw0jwrWqOKI

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Son of Rodney posted:

You know what, you're on.

The average American is responsible for about 18 tons of CO2 per year. A tree will store about 50 pounds of co2 in a year of growing. Therefore you really only need to plant 700 trees per year every year to offset your personal carbon use.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

http://sofiaglobe.com/2017/06/30/bulgaria-code-red-dangerous-weather-alarm-for-saturday-in-much-of-the-country-2/

so yeah bulgaria had a 45c heat wave yesterday.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Salt Fish posted:

The average American is responsible for about 18 tons of CO2 per year. A tree will store about 50 pounds of co2 in a year of growing. Therefore you really only need to plant 700 trees per year every year to offset your personal carbon use.

I need to plant 21,000 trees. Time to get to work!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

As did parts of Turkey and Romania when molten Bulgaria sloshed across the border

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

How long do trees grow because 700 trees to offset my footprint over a long timeframe isn't too bad actually.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

shrike82 posted:

How long do trees grow because 700 trees to offset my footprint over a long timeframe isn't too bad actually.

Where exactly do you plan to plant them? I guess if you plan to buy land that you can then plant trees on, I guess that's feasible if you are a 1%er.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

BattleMoose posted:

Where exactly do you plan to plant them? I guess if you plan to buy land that you can then plant trees on, I guess that's feasible if you are a 1%er.

If you are sneaky you can plant them in many places.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

shrike82 posted:

Until massive forest fires turn your eco- conscious kindling into vaporized carbon, and you have to plant them all again of course.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Until massive forest fires turn your eco- conscious kindling into vaporized carbon, and you have to plant them all again of course.

Plant them far enough apart so that they won't catch each other on fire if one catches on fire, duh.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.966ceb46c99f

quote:

On May 27, in the date-growing ­desert town of Turbat in Baluchistan province, the temperature reached 128.3 degrees — the hottest ever reported in Pakistan.

What followed was a month of intense heat and humidity nationwide coinciding with Ramadan, the Muslim period of fasting and prayer that ended Sunday. Every day, millions of sweltering Pakistanis struggled to forgo food and water from sunrise to sunset, then roused themselves before dawn to wash, pray, cook and eat.

The Ramadan ordeal has brought into sharp relief the chronic water and power shortages plaguing this arid, Muslim-majority country of 180 million. In cities, families had to fill jugs and bottles from public taps at 3 a.m. In villages, long daily electrical outages stopped fans from whirring and tube wells from pumping water to irrigate parched fields.

As the month dragged on, people lost patience. Violent protests broke out from the vast port city of Karachi to the hilly tribal region of Malakand. Electric-company offices were looted, ­police stations attacked, roads blocked. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif ordered the electricity cuts shortened to several hours a day, but everyone knew that the move was only a temporary appeasement.

quote:

Pakistan’s water problem runs much deeper and has far more potential to devastate the country. Unlike power, water is a finite resource, highly vulnerable to global warming. Pakistan’s access to it depends partly on rivers from India, a hostile neighbor, and regionally on Himalayan glaciers that are beginning to melt. By mid-century, experts predict, the country could run out of water entirely.

Many Pakistanis blame India for using dams to divert river water that, under a treaty signed in the 1960s, should be flowing into Pakistan. India has fought three wars with Pakistan, and people are concerned that the water dispute will intensify under Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, an ardent Hindu nationalist.

Yet according to experts, much of the water problem stems from domestic negligence and faulty policies.

Pakistan has five large dams and hundreds of small ones, with more planned or being built. But many are poorly maintained, and decrepit pipes leak millions of gallons. Fields are heavily flooded rather than using drip irrigation, thus wasting water and ruining the soil. River water has been diverted to cities, and mountain water has been pumped uphill at great cost.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

By mid-century, 2050, a little more than 30 years from now, Pakistan could be out of water. Good god, I was hoping to die before the poo poo got really bad but this poo poo can snowball so fast.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Climate driven migrations will be a hell of a thing to watch

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Climate driven migrations will be a hell of a thing to watch

You won't be just watching them, you will be personally affected even if you live a Western country.

The world can barely deal with a few million Syrian refugees. What do you think is going to happen when a country of 200 million runs out of water?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

You won't be just watching them, you will be personally affected even if you live a Western country.

The world can barely deal with a few million Syrian refugees. What do you think is going to happen when a country of 200 million runs out of water?

A country of 200 million that possesses nuclear weapons and a hostile neighbor that many Pakistanis will point to as the cause or contributor to their water crisis.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
On the plus side that'll cut the refugees down some.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

What do you think is going to happen when a country of 200 million runs out of water?

Well, I'll probably die around 2050 to 2060. So, whatever happens, it better happen by then.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They need to to tag team large scale desalination with India

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
India just fired up a fast-breeder reactor fueled by thorium rods. A good sign!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Conspiratiorist posted:

On the plus side that'll cut the refugees down some.

Have you ever heard about the Sea Peoples or the Cimbri or really any group of people that, throughout history, went a whupping and a whomping every living thing that moves within an inch of its life?

You know what happens? Turns out they don't kill each other, instead they just destroy enough infrastructure to make the latest group join up with them at the Number 6 dance, and then together they hit the next group.