Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well some probably are I just meant real jews have more books.

I thought the stereotype was they horded diamonds and gold, not books. Antisemitism is getting pretty weird these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The most obnoxiously nice dude I know is a Muslim from Somalia. You could mug him and he'd probably offer to stop by an atm for you, and then wish the peace of Allah upon you. It gives me acid reflux how upbeat this dude is at all times. Meanwhile both biggest rear end in a top hat and runner up nice dude are Catholic. It's like the religion doesn't make the rear end in a top hat, the rear end in a top hat makes the rear end in a top hat.

Protestants are unsalveagable of course

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Right, and don't think that "The Left" is ignoring all the bad poo poo about how conservative Islam is, the reason Christians are the main focus is that they're the ones in charge over here. Islam isn't making life worse in the West, Christianity is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's insanely stupid to claim that a religion with hundreds of millions of members is "all" one thing, particularly if you're trying to claim that all Muslims are Bad. If that were true, we'd be locked in World War 3 right now, versus an army of hundreds of millions of holy warriors.

Isn't it much much much more likely that there is a radical fringe element of their religion doing all the bad poo poo and 99% of Muslims are just people like you and me?

Aramek posted:

Right, and don't think that "The Left" is ignoring all the bad poo poo about how conservative Islam is, the reason Christians are the main focus is that they're the ones in charge over here. Islam isn't making life worse in the West, Christianity is.

But...but...Sharia Law! :supaburn:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Even forgetting the religious differences, one of the main practices of Sharia Law is something I imagine a lot of Christians in the West want as well. And that's that minor crimes are handled at a local level by a religious leader as opposed to the Justice System.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

doverhog posted:

Agreed. If you are not atheist, you are suspect.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Aramek posted:

Even forgetting the religious differences, one of the main practices of Sharia Law is something I imagine a lot of Christians in the West want as well.
Just look at how many are against birth control or sex education and claim it's wrong according to the bible. They'd be perfectly fine with christian sharia law. But only if they were above it of course, because if there's one thing that all fundamentalists have in common it's being huge hypocrites.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's one for the thread. If you identify as an atheist you are no better than a religious person.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A religious person will seek to legislate your sex life, and atheist will perhaps be unpleasant to converse with. It's pretty clear which is better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I'm not religious but in practice, someone being religious or not is almost always a non-issue. I'd much rather hire/befriend/marry a churchgoer with a few questionable beliefs than some rear end in a top hat internet atheist.

doverhog posted:

A religious person will seek to legislate your sex life, and atheist will perhaps be unpleasant to converse with. It's pretty clear which is better.

Frex poo poo like that, it just isn't true. Some religious people are assholes who want to legislate your sex life. Most don't. Some atheists also hold awful beliefs, just look at randians.

When people post stuff like this I have to assume they're cheetoh-dusted goon stereotype because... have you actually talked to a religious person? Most are extremely normal.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jul 2, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A churchgoer without real religious conviction is a conformist, so of course you would rather marry them. It's easy to get along if everyone does what everyone does.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

A churchgoer without real religious conviction is a conformist, so of course you would rather marry them. It's easy to get along if everyone does what everyone does.

Yeah, the only people with real religious conviction are the people you disagree with. Sure pal

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What is real religious conviction? I appreciate the eclectic faithhaver who actually thinks about these things, but if you get your faith bullet points from the pulpit... Disqualified.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
People who back into parking spaces in crowded, busy parking lots are scum, and should be killed.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

doverhog posted:

Some pretty blanket assumptions there
Remind me which religious group is associated with eugenics advocation in the modern era?

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Jul 2, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I will instead remind you of the terrible influence the religious right has on the Republican party and American politics in general. Feel reminded?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Protestants are unsalveagable of course

I'm Protestant: a Baptist in the south. I believe that climate change is happening; I believe that evolution happened; I think the government should keep its nose out of religious business; I despise Trump and consistently vote Democratic; I think women are equal to men; don't believe in hell; couldn't care less which bathroom Trans people use (and don't give a poo poo about LGBTQ+ people existing); don't consider Muslims, Atheists or Jews my "enemy" or less than me because they disagree with my beliefs; and don't think that every word of the Bible is literal history.

True story.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like plenty of Christians and Muslims even though I disagree with a lot of things from their religions. I also find it moving when I talk to a religious person who's worried about the state of their soul and if they're doing enough to be a good Muslim/Christian/whatever.

So I guess it's real cool for people to have humility and self-awareness, is what I'm saying.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WampaLord posted:

It's insanely stupid to claim that a religion with hundreds of millions of members is "all" one thing, particularly if you're trying to claim that all Muslims are Bad. If that were true, we'd be locked in World War 3 right now, versus an army of hundreds of millions of holy warriors.

Isn't it much much much more likely that there is a radical fringe element of their religion doing all the bad poo poo and 99% of Muslims are just people like you and me?

But...but...Sharia Law! :supaburn:

It's not 99% the same as people like you and me. Even in Indonesia, the largest Islamic/democratic country, 22% either support or are neutral about ISIS. How the gently caress can anyone even be neutral about them? Also, 22% translates to like 60 million people and that's just one country.

Of course people are assholes and they come from all faiths. My contention is that of that group, Islam is particularly bad. And saying that all are equal is spitting in the face of the minorities/gays/women that get hosed over in those countries.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not 99% the same as people like you and me. Even in Indonesia, the largest Islamic/democratic country, 22% either support or are neutral about ISIS. How the gently caress can anyone even be neutral about them? Also, 22% translates to like 60 million people and that's just one country.

Gee, wow, yea, that seems bad. I wonder if 22% of Americans are idiots too.

*looks at current President*

Oh.

You're just bigoted towards Muslims, please try not to be.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If it makes you feel better I am bigoted towards American idiots too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The song Fat Lip by Sum 41 owns

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Just an aside, I left Bangladesh in 2002 and while not at all a safe country, I was able to walk home from school in the Baridhara district as a 10 year-old white girl with no issue. When I moved to the Gulshan district and had to commute to Baridhara, I could take a rickshaw by myself and be there in maybe 20 minutes. No trouble.

Apparently ISIS started coming in strong there around 2013. My Bengali BIL visited Dhaka last year and kept sending videos of all the checkpoints that have sprung up. My 20 minute commute now takes 2 hours due to all the checkpoints and where it might have taken you an hour to get down to Dhanmondi, it's now an all-day journey through checkpoints. (Which blows my mind because I had classmates that lived down there.) Regular stores now have metal detectors and Westerners are getting straight-up shot in the DIT 1 and 2 markets. And these were once really popular and safe markets where everyone did their shopping. It's like having to worry about getting gunned down every time you go to Target, and in a country that supposedly has a gun ban. There were no checkpoints in the '00s and the only metal detectors I ever saw were at the embassies and airport. The police force has also either been wiped out or co-opted into ISIS which, yeah, they were useless before but at least they weren't a threat.

I'm just amazed how much it's been transformed in the last few years. All the ex-pats had to pick up and leave, my school's almost empty and holy poo poo, people are getting machete'd in Sylhet, one of the most peaceful and serene places in the world. Radical Islam sucks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

The song Fat Lip by Sum 41 owns

Buddy, you're a good guy Guy Goodbody.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
A person is as a person does, Christian, Muslim, Atheist, or None of the Above.

If you want to get really good at prejudging populations, avoid any relations or contact with them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just in time for the Fourth of July: I loathe the "America, gently caress yeah" type patriotism you see this time of year: Budweiser's cheap and cynical stunt of renaming itself 'America', the videos and photos on social media of people shooting off guns and waving flags, the bellicose nationalism, etc. It's perfectly fine to be proud of your country and to celebrate its independence, and I'm not necessarily telling people how they should celebrate the Fourth. I just prefer more understated displays of patriotism than the in-your-face stuff that sometimes passes for patriotism.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

America does everything big and in your face. What you're asking is like asking the sun not to shine or a dog not to bark

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

doverhog posted:

I will instead remind you of the terrible influence the religious right has on the Republican party and American politics in general. Feel reminded?

I will remind you that you were complaining about people wanting to legislate sex, but it's not a valid point if it's atheists who literally want to legislate who can procreate with who. As I understand it your point is that religion is a consistent negative influence to society, and my point is that religion or lack thereof is whatever the individual makes of it. I hope I didn't come off as saying that all Christians are cool dudes, because that wouldn't be true, same as I don't think all atheists are assholes

Also I don't know about you but I think we are drifting towards derail

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm Protestant: a Baptist in the south. I believe that climate change is happening; I believe that evolution happened; I think the government should keep its nose out of religious business; I despise Trump and consistently vote Democratic; I think women are equal to men; don't believe in hell; couldn't care less which bathroom Trans people use (and don't give a poo poo about LGBTQ+ people existing); don't consider Muslims, Atheists or Jews my "enemy" or less than me because they disagree with my beliefs; and don't think that every word of the Bible is literal history.

True story.
I was joking, as was clearly evident by the sarcastic tone in which I said those words aloud as I wrote them

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I will remind you that you were complaining about people wanting to legislate sex, but it's not a valid point if it's atheists who literally want to legislate who can procreate with who.

Serious question as a non-American, but isn't the amount of US Senators who are openly atheist, like, single digit small? I told some visiting yanks recently that we'd had more than one atheist Prime Minister and they were surprised and said that they couldn't imagine it happening in America.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I do not know of any openly atheist senators or congressmen, but but there may be one or maybe two

E: huffpo from 2014 says there are no open atheists in Congress or the Senate, which doesn't surprise me. There's not a strong understanding of what atheism is here, which is why I usually only disclose myself as an atheist if I know someone is willing to hear me out. If anyone ran as an open atheist I'm pretty sure they'd immediately get billed as a devil worshipper by some strongly conservative group and that'd be enough to end them. I'm on the fringe of the bible belt so mileage may vary

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Jul 3, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

Seeking to legislate doesn't hurt me it just makes it kinkier.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought the stereotype was they horded diamonds and gold, not books.

You haven't read the newest Lucky Luke album then?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

True story.

Like I said. People are cool and good people in direct reverse correlation to how seriously they take their religious texts. You can't be a freedom enhancing citizen of a democratic country and also think that the bible is literally true. You just can't, that poo poo isn't compatible. Rejecting faith and dogma literally makes you a better person from the get go. Where you go from there obviously changes that, though.

veni veni veni posted:

Here's one for the thread. If you identify as an atheist you are no better than a religious person.

This is actually a stupid post, not an Unpopular Opinion.

New Content; Fireworks are loving stupid. I"m so pissed my state legalized them. They are exciting in small amounts once or twice a year, done PROFESSIONALLY. And even then its kind of a waste, once you've seen one, you've seen them all. The only exception would be cool celebratory ones like in Sydney or after an event or that make a cool light show in the sky. Otherwise its just a bunch of bips and boops and booms and thuds that are ultimately underwhelming, noisy, messy, and most of all dangerous. Much like guns, they are stupid toys that should only really be operated by people with professional experience and safety precautions, not Joe's kids down the street and his crew that want to drink beer and annoy the neighbors. **

**: If you're in the country, then fine. But if you need medical attention, the county/state should be able to repossess your house. Idiot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fact that we have a yearly "get drunk and play with fireworks" holiday that results in so few actual deaths and maimings is a really positive sign about Americans and the human race in general

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

Of course people are assholes and they come from all faiths. My contention is that of that group, Islam is particularly bad. And saying that all are equal is spitting in the face of the minorities/gays/women that get hosed over in those countries.

Who gives a poo poo??

The sort of people who are actual ISIS supporters have traveled there and taken up arms. Some dickbag from Jakarta who says "hells yeah brah let's jihad" but otherwise leads a normal life means nothing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

The fact that we have a yearly "get drunk and play with fireworks" holiday that results in so few actual deaths and maimings is a really positive sign about Americans and the human race in general
I went to celebrate New Years in Reykjavik once. Apparently Iceland is the country that consumes the most fireworks per capita each new years, and I believe it. What felt like the entire town gathered in the square outside Hallgrimskirkja (the town church) and set off fireworks. No organisation, people would just plunk an empty wine bottle with a rocket in it down in the middle of the crowd and light it. A lot of people were drunk, of course, and several rockets tipped over before taking off, flying across the ground and exploding somewhere. I'm honestly surprised there didn't seem to be any serious injuries as a result.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jastiger posted:

Like I said. People are cool and good people in direct reverse correlation to how seriously they take their religious texts. You can't be a freedom enhancing citizen of a democratic country and also think that the bible is literally true. You just can't, that poo poo isn't compatible. Rejecting faith and dogma literally makes you a better person from the get go. Where you go from there obviously changes that, though.

This is actually a stupid post, not an Unpopular Opinion.

It's really stupid and a sign of Angry Internet Posteritis to assume that blind faith and dogma are the standard among religious people.The bible being literally true, for example, is a minority view even among american christian denominations.

Most religious people are, you know, people, with reasonable beliefs informed by their lives and education. Hell, one of the standard Angry Internet arguments is how dumb it is to believe that x belief is the one true faith and everyone else goes to hell... Who believes that? Too many idiots, yes, but a vast minority.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's really stupid and a sign of Angry Internet Posteritis to assume that blind faith and dogma are the standard among religious people.The bible being literally true, for example, is a minority view even among american christian denominations.

Most religious people are, you know, people, with reasonable beliefs informed by their lives and education. Hell, one of the standard Angry Internet arguments is how dumb it is to believe that x belief is the one true faith and everyone else goes to hell... Who believes that? Too many idiots, yes, but a vast minority.

Hint: every religious person takes their holy text literally. Its just a question of degree

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The best way I ever thought of it was whether or not you see your own faith with a capital f or not. Capital f faith usually has a lot of baggage.

And I hate people with baggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
My state also just legalized fireworks and I thought that was pretty cool until people started actually shooting fireworks, up until midnight and sometimes past, every day, starting two weeks from the fourth.

Dear my state, please ban fireworks forever