Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Lockback posted:

They will be at the cap line. They won't realistically have any room until 2019. It's either Porter or nobody

Makes sense then to keep him. Not an Evan Turner situation where you sign a poo poo guy just because you need to sign someone since Porter is already a Wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Big fan of Lowry and Ibaka signings. This has been the most successful era of Raptors basketball and I'd rather watch a 50+ win team then the pre-lowry Raptors.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Its happening https://twitter.com/celtics/status/881619757270786048

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Goodbye Tyler Zeller

I always wished we had drafted you instead of Royce White

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/881664596439859202

I don't think lacob is going to pay the tax that long Jesus Christ

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zeller was looking pretty good a few years ago and has really only regressed to "acceptable", he's a solid depth piece.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

He'll be paying for an entire second almost capped team next year, holy poo poo. He's either printing money on local promotional deals or doesn't give a gently caress about money

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

im fine with the luxury tax working as intended and providing an eventual counterbalance to the superduper team

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Yes. Move freely and often unless you don't want to give up a good seat

Nice! I've only got tickets for the Monday but I'm looking forward to it!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/881662725771993088

Before signing with the dubs. Hopefully.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

lmfao. See my earlier post about Lacob being one of the poorer owners. That's over half a billion in luxury tax payouts. There's literally no way Lacob and Gruber can afford that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

leftist heap posted:

lmfao. See my earlier post about Lacob being one of the poorer owners. That's over half a billion in luxury tax payouts. There's literally no way Lacob and Gruber can afford that.

They are going to run with it for the next 2 years and then dump Klay before their tax bill becomes absolutely insane.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

leftist heap posted:

Yeah, this is only going until 2019 when Klay becomes a FA.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Paul Zuvella posted:

They are going to run with it for the next 2 years and then dump Klay before their tax bill becomes absolutely insane.

His contract expires in 2 years, so they'd have to trade his expiring in the offseason to get anything at all for him. I think if they're in line for a 4 peat and 5 in 6 years (always a big if) he'd take a one + one and then take the trade to somewhere with bird rights in tow, and make a big dollar.

Hot take: I think Steph would have taken a big discount on his supermax had he not lost so much money in having KD on his team, taking the spotlight away from underarmour and hurting the stock price. That was a devilish move by Nike.

It's important to remember that Steph Curry is already 29

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
:siren: first muscle gain of the offseason :siren:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Underarmour sucks and nothing was ever going to make the Steph Curry brand valuable. Jump shooters can't move shoes, everyone knows that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hot take: I think Steph would have taken a big discount on his supermax had he not lost so much money in having KD on his team, taking the spotlight away from underarmour and hurting the stock price. That was a devilish move by Nike.

ahaha I never thought about that. The house always wins.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Luxury taxes are absolutely nuts in any sport, but i had no idea that the NBA's was far more punitive than MLB's

(caps on paying labor are wrong and should be destroyed)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

leftist heap posted:

Underarmour sucks and nothing was ever going to make the Steph Curry brand valuable. Jump shooters can't move shoes, everyone knows that.

steph ought to be selling an ankle brace.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if the nba were smart they'd start allowing gloves so that the elite shooters could move product

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

Luxury taxes are absolutely nuts in any sport, but i had no idea that the NBA's was far more punitive than MLB's

It's a shame it's a non issue for literally any other type of labor.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The new cba was made to punish super teams but all it did was make other teams coward out and trade superstars for nothing to avoid the tax.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tae posted:

The new cba was made to punish super teams but all it did was make other teams coward out and trade superstars for nothing to avoid the tax.

Yeah

Little teams are freaking out about the super max

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Danny LaFever posted:

Big fan of Lowry and Ibaka signings. This has been the most successful era of Raptors basketball and I'd rather watch a 50+ win team then the pre-lowry Raptors.

That's basically how I feel about it. The simultaneous 3 year signing means there's a clear time limit on this core and Masai can blow it up without losing anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How do the three year deals align with Derozan?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

euphronius posted:

How do the three year deals align with Derozan?

Assuming derozan turns down his player option, all 3 deals end at the same time.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Assuming derozan turns down his player option, all 3 deals end at the same time.

This is incorrect, Ibaka will opt out of his after 2 years once he qualifies for a pension

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BA_Turner/status/881676827151933440

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

The total amount that goes to players is always 50%of the total basketball related income, regardless of how much is spent on contracts. There is an escrow system in place to guarantee this. If every team spent the maximum or the minimum the players as a whole would get the same amount.

The tax only pushes money from teams over the tax and gives it to teams under the cap. It's a complex and uneven form of revenue sharing, but it doesn't change what labor gets paid.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hahahahahahaha

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/881679755099164672

Might as well sign him Gar.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Apparently he was real good with the Bull's rookies but I still like to imagine Rondo hitting him with the MJ Kwame Brown treatment.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

attackmole posted:

Apparently he was real good with the Bull's rookies but I still like to imagine Rondo hitting him with the MJ Kwame Brown treatment.

He was pretty good with them by all reports. Used to go to D-League games on his days off, helped out at summer league.

Stood up for them when Butler and Wade p much called them trash.

https://twitter.com/highkin/status/881680006367387648

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

attackmole posted:

Yeah, that's actually probably a good use of Rondo. Plus Rondo can play next to Lonzo while he gets up to NBA speed, and you're not investing heavily in a guy that might end up down the depth chart.

If he takes a short/unguaranteed deal it's not so bad.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rondo is going to fight Lavar Ball at some point this season isn't he?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/ProHoopsHistory/status/881666683034890240

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Rob Pelinka: We need to teach Lonzo to hate gay people. If only there was someone out there who said the F word constantly...
Luke Walton: I think I know just the man.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rondo and LaVar Ball would be match made in heaven. The NBA's writers keep one-upping themselves.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/881680932675178496

• Locked thread