Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I do. Ten cents a kilowatt hour is like 10 dollars per 100 watts a month. Easy. You have to be mining pretty low value to miss that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Themage posted:

How many of you pay for your electricity

7 cents kwh comes out to $16 a month

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
12 cents puts me at about $25 a month.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
My power bill is gonna suck this month but I have $400 of funny money so far.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

bobfather posted:

Is there a preferred, objective site that documents major cryptocurrency scams?

No.
For older funny buttcoin stuff there's http://buttcoinfoundation.org/
For a more fact-based critique there's https://brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/, but it's kinda old.
Then there is Jorge Stolfi's amicus letter to SEC where he convinces them to reject the Winklevoss bitcoin ETF: https://www.sec.gov/comments/sr-batsbzx-2016-30/batsbzx201630-20.pdf
Finally there's this collection of SFYL on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SorryForYourLoss/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This dumb mining poo poo actually convinced me to move to solar panels. It's literally what tipped the decision. So 0 in electricity "soon", for about 300 bucks of "profit" in the last month.

BUY BUY BUY! MINE THAT poo poo, TO THE MOON!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

This dumb mining poo poo actually convinced me to move to solar panels. It's literally what tipped the decision. So 0 in electricity "soon".

If you have excess capacity you cannot store/sell back during the day it increases your combo solar/mining ROI

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I spent 20,000 dollars installing a solar station, but I got a contract where I can sell back for the same rate I pay so it doesn't matter what I'm doing with my power.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The problem, at least as far as where I live, is the heat generated. If you live in the desert, you're already cooling your house down constantly without mining.

Our electricity is cheap enough that mining would be a reasonable way to make back the greater-than-MSRP surcharges on GPUs right now. Except then I'd have to run two 20-year-old inefficient air conditioners even harder to not die of heat stroke from the resulting hot air.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yup i sure am looking forward to getting some of these used GPUs

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
If you take those as the baseline of "idiots running crypto cards" and assume that the average setup is at least like an ikea wire shelf with a box fan, plus the fact that GPUs are honestly pretty drat resilient, I'd say that used crypto cards post-crash or whatever are honestly still a pretty solid deal considering they stretch down to drat near 50% MSRP or whatever.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am too considering none of those pictures are recent

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

yup i sure am looking forward to getting some of these used GPUs

Hella sweet custom loop.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Craptacular! posted:

The problem, at least as far as where I live, is the heat generated. If you live in the desert, you're already cooling your house down constantly without mining.

Our electricity is cheap enough that mining would be a reasonable way to make back the greater-than-MSRP surcharges on GPUs right now. Except then I'd have to run two 20-year-old inefficient air conditioners even harder to not die of heat stroke from the resulting hot air.

This is why I'm just running one GPU hard enough to hit the 0.01 BTC threshold in time for the next payout, then I'm going to stop at least for the hot months. My A/C is already running about 50% of the time without both of my GPUs pumping ~150 watts a piece in to my computer room all day. Power is cheap but since my thermostat is nowhere near my computer room I'd have to run the rest of the house really cold to maintain a livable temperature while I work.

Maybe when it gets cold out, or at least cool enough that I can leave the windows open, then hopefully there's a new butt bubble to ride. For now cashing out my :20bux:ish in to Steam credit and buying a game on sale seems like the right idea.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

Has anyone used coincards.ca?

Just coming back to this, I sucked out $30 in Amazon bucks but it took 3-4 hours to confirm the transfer. All in you are taking a 10% haircut on your total earnings from nicehash (1% claymore / 3-4% transfer to external wallet / 5% gc transaction).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

That's actually shockingly professional for a buttcoin mining dude. And based on the earnings potential and timing, he probably actually paid all his crap off, assuming he didn't pay list price for the racks and fans.

The FLIR photos from the rigs, panels and rack faces shows me that the cards, while under load, aren't sitting in a hot pool of their own exhaust like heatstroke dudes were.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fauxtool posted:

I am too considering none of those pictures are recent

People are just as dumb now as they were 5 years ago.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont buy blowers, dont buy without warranty, and only buy current gen cards. No 290s, no rx480s. Risk mitigated.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Gods. I helped put in 600A service for an outbuilding (rich guy party shack. AC, massive kitchen, tons of AC because lol florida, etc). It's ridiculous - something like a grand a month when it's not in use, just in "keep it below the combustion point of the interior materials". "Helped" in I wrangled the loving cable from the meter panel to the junction box. That poo poo is heavy. I can't imagine running 550A wiring and only hooking up 120A on it. WHY.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

dont buy blowers, dont buy without warranty, and only buy current gen cards. No 290s, no rx480s. Risk mitigated.

yeah it's not like someone with a bunch of GTX 1070s would ever fail to take good care of them

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

This historical re-enactment is pretty drat good, but we're still missing someone trying to sell fruit dried with the power of GPUs and also someone getting permanent brain damage by sleeping in the same room as their unventilated GPU farm. Please do the needful

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I'm curious, how much power is Ethereum using now and what is its transaction rate? Is it as terrible as bitcoin where the difficulty level is basically the inefficiency rate or does it scale?

Just for reference, last time I looked bitcoin was estimated at 400 megawatts operating power for a NES-like 4-10 transactions per second. If run by coal-fired power plants that would be 53KG of coal burned per second, with each transaction optimistically swallowing up 5KG of coal.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Spatial posted:

I'm curious, how much power is Ethereum using now and what is its transaction rate? Is it as terrible as bitcoin where the difficulty level is basically the inefficiency rate or does it scale?

Just for reference, last time I looked bitcoin was estimated at 400 megawatts operating power for a NES-like 4-10 transactions per second. If run by coal-fired power plants that would be 53KG of coal burned per second, with each transaction optimistically swallowing up 5KG of coal.

http://digiconomist.net/ethereum-energy-consumption

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Mining profitability continues to steadily decline but the GPU shortage shows no signs of relenting, I wonder at what point people will decide to start cutting their losses and sell their hardware off, or at least stop buying up all of the stock.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Waiting for Nvidia to announce geforcecoin, the cryptocurrency token to represent the GPU you bought

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

Mining profitability continues to steadily decline but the GPU shortage shows no signs of relenting, I wonder at what point people will decide to start cutting their losses and sell their hardware off, or at least stop buying up all of the stock.

As the difficulty increases, miners look to maintain their monthly income level. This usually means adding rigs of 6-7 gpus.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Spatial posted:

This historical re-enactment is pretty drat good, but we're still missing someone trying to sell fruit dried with the power of GPUs and also someone getting permanent brain damage by sleeping in the same room as their unventilated GPU farm. Please do the needful

How the gently caress did someone pull that off without realizing something was way wrong?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea how people can sleep in hot rooms, but they had like 16 GPUs running in the middle of summer and somehow fell asleep in the heat they're outputting. He posted about waking up and seeming to have heat stroke, then as bad heat stroke can do the hospital reported he had brain damage.

It was extra dumb because he said he owned an air conditioner but felt lazy about installing it. He wasn't even trying to be cheap, he came close to dieing from being lazy.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
frog in a pot and all that, I can believe it having been close to heat stroke many many times (though not because i fell asleep buttmining and was too lazy to install an A/C :lol:)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don't forget the guy who put a video on youtube of cooling his sweet mining rig with liquid nitrogen by just kind of pouring it all over everything on the floor in what looked like an unventilated room.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

yeah it's not like someone with a bunch of GTX 1070s would ever fail to take good care of them

Thats not a problem im at all concerned about, but by all means dont buy them and leave more for me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How hot would the room had to have been to give a guy a freaking heat stroke?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Summer plus a 3,500 watt space heater probably gets to incredibly hot temperatures.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My room as a kid in Florida plus a Pentium 4 and integrated GPU would get 5 degrees warmer if the door was closed and Red Alert 2 was loaded.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MaxxBot posted:

Never

Once you're in the Bitcoin game, you're in 4 lyfe, bithc

Specially since ETH is going to switch to Proof of Work/Proof of Stake hybrid and for some reason this is going to send the price TO THE MOOOOOOOOOON somehow

PerrineClostermann posted:

My room as a kid in Florida plus a Pentium 4 and integrated GPU would get 5 degrees warmer if the door was closed and Red Alert 2 was loaded.

Is that how you got brain damage

haha! I kid, I kid, Red alert 2 owned

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The Nicehash profitability table says a 1070 will mine ~$3.70 a day, but my Nicehash miner I've been running on my 1070 for a couple days has been doing about $2.40-$2.80 a day.

Is the profitability table off, or is something wrong with my setup?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
iirc its still luck of the draw that your group gets rewarded a block of coins. The estimate is just an estimate.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

iirc its still luck of the draw that your group gets rewarded a block of coins. The estimate is just an estimate.

Nice hash isn't mining blocks, it's selling mining power.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nice hash isn't mining blocks, it's selling mining power.

Ohh, didn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Craptacular posted:

The Nicehash profitability table says a 1070 will mine ~$3.70 a day, but my Nicehash miner I've been running on my 1070 for a couple days has been doing about $2.40-$2.80 a day.

Is the profitability table off, or is something wrong with my setup?

My 1070s have been making around $3.75-4.25/day but it jumps around a lot, don't think I've seen them go under $3 though. Try overclocking your memory.

• Locked thread