Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr. Squishy posted:

Didn't everyone hate 4321?

My mom liked it and told me to read it.
Reviews look like they range from tepid to mild enthusiasm but I really like the concept so I'll get it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I got:

October - China Mieville
Angelmaker - Nick Harkaway
The Vegetarian - Han Kang
How to be Both - Ali Smith
The Doorposts of Your House and on Your Gates - Jacob Bacharach
Darkmans - Nicola Barker
Necessary Errors - Caleb Crain
4321 - Paul Auster
A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters - Julian Barnes

and a hernia carrying those around.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

you should have gotten bottom's dream to really get a hernia

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Back from the bookshop after buying 20 copies of Joseph McElroy's WOmen and Men, and boy are my arms tired.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Cloks posted:

October - China Mieville
Fuckin' owns and I will work tirelessly to make it this years Aquarium.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gorn Myson posted:

Does it involve a woman emotionally traumatizing her daughter by making her clean up her poo poo while she berates her, or pics of cute fish?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr. Squishy posted:

Back from the bookshop after buying 20 copies of Joseph McElroy's WOmen and Men, and boy are my arms tired.

I looked for that but they didn't have it, only Lookout Cartridge.

They did have a first edition of Gravity's Rainbow but I'm not made of money.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Gorn Myson posted:

nah

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Cloks posted:

How to be Both - Ali Smith

yes.

If you don't have the British edition you might want to have these pictures that play a huge role (and were not included in the US version & translations for some stupid reason) handy

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 19, 2017

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just finished Libra and I really enjoyed it - do y'all have any suggestions for other postmodern works? I also loved Underworld and White Noise. I'm tempted to go for Mao II, but I'd like to try reading something from other authors.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

curried lamb of God posted:

I just finished Libra and I really enjoyed it - do y'all have any suggestions for other postmodern works? I also loved Underworld and White Noise. I'm tempted to go for Mao II, but I'd like to try reading something from other authors.

Let me ask... could you like some joviality without an apparent end?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

gonna need some more specifics here i think. what do you like, what do you not like. are you looking for thematically similar to delilo, or structurally similar to delilo, or...

if you haven't tried auster or gaddis or nabokov or pynchon or flann o'brien or what have you then those are easy answers

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me ask... could you like some joviality without an apparent end?

Is it worth reading on Kindle? I'm stuck in a remote location away from any bookstores, let alone any that sell English-language books.

Tree Goat posted:

gonna need some more specifics here i think. what do you like, what do you not like. are you looking for thematically similar to delilo, or structurally similar to delilo, or...

if you haven't tried auster or gaddis or nabokov or pynchon or flann o'brien or what have you then those are easy answers

Thematically similar - criticisms of consumerism/modernity, conspiracy theories, (threats of) violence, etc. From your list, I've only read Nabokov (Lolita, of course)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Thematically similar - criticisms of consumerism/modernity, conspiracy theories, (threats of) violence, etc. From your list, I've only read Nabokov (Lolita, of course)

jr
gravity's rainbow
at swim-two-birds
the illuminatus trilogy

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cloks posted:

I looked for that but they didn't have it, only Lookout Cartridge.

they probably wouldn't because it's famously out of print and very sought after by smart literature ppl

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

A human heart posted:

they probably wouldn't because it's famously out of print and very sought after by smart literature ppl

Yeah, Lookout Cartridge was in the rare books room, which is where I was looking for Women and Men.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CestMoi posted:

Aleister Crowley :henget:

:agreed:

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

A human heart posted:

looks like there's a reprint scheduled for next month, which is nice

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone else read A Horse Walks Into a Bar yet?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Tree Goat posted:

jr
gravity's rainbow
at swim-two-birds
the illuminatus trilogy

J R looks great from the synopsis, I just bought it and Infinite Jest

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

booo

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

i mean, i prefer the recognitions, but jr seemed closer to the request

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
oh.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The quality of Infinite Jest is ultimately irrelevant

It is the act of reading it that matters

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I suddenly decided I wanna read Mirabai this morning, what's a good english collection of her poems?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The quality of Infinite Jest is ultimately irrelevant

It is the act of reading it that matters

it is actually the act of claiming to have read it

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
Currently enjoying Half of a Yellow Sun, but I was curious if anybody knew of a good book for background on Biafra?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I can hella recommend Sphinx by Anne Garreta

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
reading Nabokov's lecture on Madame Bovary, and it's full of cool quotes. I'll drop just one here

Vladik posted:

Books are not written for those who are fond of poems that make one weep or those who like noble characters in prose as Leon and Emma think. Only children can be excused for identifying themselves with the characters in a book, or enjoying baddly written adventure stories.

also reading Nawal el-Saadawi's The Fall of the Imam, where she's retelling the same few events over and over again with a extra details and different angles each time. it's very angry, maybe a bit too much for me, but well, I'm not a woman living in Egypt, so

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I started reading Ada, or Ardor. Nabokov went absolutely rapid fire with the puns in this one.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm reading The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy and it is extremely good y'all

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People

Burning Rain posted:

reading Nabokov's lecture on Madame Bovary, and it's full of cool quotes. I'll drop just one here

Is it available for free legally or do I need to buy the books on his lectures?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

CelestialCookie posted:

You could also borrow it from a library.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CelestialCookie posted:

they were typed up & edited mostly after his death for the book, so you'll have to get the book, i think.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Been reading Vonnegut and Salinger, and liking some of it, but my break from Dostoevsky is over and I'm going to start The Idiot next. Probably tomorrow.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I picked up David Copperfield at the library today. I've always really liked what I've read of Dickens so I'm very excited.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I've been liking a lot of the books I've read so far that have no conventional narrative, that are basically just a collection of scenes. "Inner Tube" was basically this. I just read elizabeth hardwick's "sleepless nights" and it was exactly that, really good too. What are some more books that are similar?

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People

Burning Rain posted:

they were typed up & edited mostly after his death for the book, so you'll have to get the book, i think.

ah cool, it seems Amazon still have some in their stock. I assume his commentaries on Don Quixote is going to be an exciting read as well.

Also yeah, I'd have borrowed the book from the library if I live in the vicinity of a good library. Unfortunately libraries here sucks (and no, I'm not living in the US).

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Zesty Mordant posted:

I've been liking a lot of the books I've read so far that have no conventional narrative, that are basically just a collection of scenes. "Inner Tube" was basically this. I just read elizabeth hardwick's "sleepless nights" and it was exactly that, really good too. What are some more books that are similar?

Richard Brautigan's Trout FIshing in America and Renata Adler's Speedboat come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

which reminds me of a Brautigan poem.

I Feel Horrible. She Doesn't

I feel horrible. She doesn’t
love me and I wander around
the house like a sewing machine
that’s just finished sewing
a turd to a garbage can lid.