Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

How much of a contrarian can you possibly be.

I usually just get accused of care posting, or being a positivity gimmick account. Truth is, I just really like super heroes, and I'd rather talk about the things I enjoy than give things I don't like any of my time.

Karloff is right though: Martha dying of fright was a stupid one. Otherwise, it's interesting to see different peoples takes on it. It only has to take a couple minutes or a couple pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Doctor Spaceman posted:

BvS spent maybe 3 minutes on the Crime Alley scene and yet people still whinged and moaned about it. It's incredibly important for the character's motivations, it sets up the tone of the film, and it's a good idea to assume that not everyone knows the specifics even for a character as well known as Batman.

E: You can absolutely do an adaption of Batman without Crime Alley, in the same way as you can do King Arthur story without The Sword in the Stone or the Lady of the Lake, or a Robin Hood story without splitting the arrow. But it shouldn't be hard to justify it's inclusion either.

Knowing that Batman's parents are dead is obviously important for the character's motivation. Showing it to us? Not so much. A quick pan over the graves would set the same tone in even less time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did Lego Batman show his origins

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Sort of

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't really care if we see Batman's parents killed again. Unfair to assume that someone who sees a Batman film has seen all of the others that came before it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I Ann pretty sure the best Batman - Batman 66 never showed it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

I don't really care if we see Batman's parents killed again. Unfair to assume that someone who sees a Batman film has seen all of the others that came before it.

There's no excuse for not knowing Batman's parents died in 2017. I think if you google "Whats batman" the first search result is a gif of pearls hitting the floor with the caption "him parents dead".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

There's no excuse for not knowing Batman's parents died in 2017. I think if you google "Whats batman" the first search result is a gif of pearls hitting the floor with the caption "him parents dead".

There's more to it than just the simple fact of his parents dying. Movies aren't educational documentaries trying to teach history. There can be certain things about his origin that the movie wants to highlight, or to show the audience that Batman is remembering it at that moment for some reason.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 2, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm taking a hardline "no crime alley" stance here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

Knowing that Batman's parents are dead is obviously important for the character's motivation. Showing it to us? Not so much. A quick pan over the graves would set the same tone in even less time.

It doesn't explain how or why they died though. Also part of the point of the scene in BvS isn't just showing the audience that it happened but that showing that Bruce is still obsessed with the event. It gets a lot done and is a really good way to open the movie.

bobkatt013 posted:

It would be tonally very weird for it to have done so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Batman 66 had no parents.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It doesn't explain how or why they died though. Also part of the point of the scene in BvS isn't just showing the audience that it happened but that showing that Bruce is still obsessed with the event. It gets a lot done and is a really good way to open the movie.

Why they died isn't super important. BvS makes the how pretty superfluous. Literally everything about Batman's persona shows the audience that he is driven by the moment that forever changed his life. There are so so so many ways to spin back to that sort of thing. It's boring and lazy to use the same one way forever. I won't speak for everyone, but my axe to grind is simply that superheroes are so much more than their origins. Films are slower to realize that when they spend time going back to that same well. The best Batman opening is still the one from the animated series. Not a pearl necklace in sight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

I won't speak for everyone, but my axe to grind is simply that superheroes are so much more than their origins. Films are slower to realize that when they spend time going back to that same well. The best Batman opening is still the one from the animated series. Not a pearl necklace in sight.

The animated series was an unstated followup to the Burton movies, which is why they borrow a lot of the aesthetic and don't bother with origins for several of the characters (notably Joker, Penguin and Catwoman). By comparison STAS didn't even get off Krypton until the second episode.

I agree that superhero movies are too often uninspired origin stories (hi Doctor Strange) but I don't have a problem with a movie spending 3 minutes out of a 3 hour runtime showing the single most important event in a character's life.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It would be tonally very weird for it to have done so.

I believe it was mentioned once in the entire series, in just the first episode.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

I'm taking a hardline "no crime alley" stance here.

Lurdiak, hard on crime alley. Hard on the causes of crime alley.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So in other news the new trailer for Death Note is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxNaSIB_WI

Now when the teaser came out people were complaining about making the lead American and white.

Having seen this trailer, I think it's a change for the better.

My brother and I were discussing this. He's worried that suitble nuances and character traits from the original have been lost. I think the changes offer a new take on the property.

My comments, quoted from Facebook.

"I don't know, playing Devil's Advocate here (ding ding ding. Pinball noise.)
They seem like they maybe have something interesting here.
A book with the power of life and death lands in the hand of a privileged, white American kid. He immediately uses it to kill poor people.
Is cheered on by the internet.
Is opposed by an intelligent person of colour who is against the idea of justice being meted out to "criminals" with lethal force with no oversight.

If nothing else that's potential a good western take on the property."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I usually just get accused of care posting, or being a positivity gimmick account. Truth is, I just really like super heroes, and I'd rather talk about the things I enjoy than give things I don't like any of my time.

Karloff is right though: Martha dying of fright was a stupid one. Otherwise, it's interesting to see different peoples takes on it. It only has to take a couple minutes or a couple pages.

The origin moment is something that can be portrayed interestingly and powerfully, I just don't want to see more origin movies unless they're for actually less-known characters and bring something new to the table.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Something that I don't like is that Light seems to be doubting himself at one point in that trailer. Dude was a self absorbed psychopath with delusions of godhood with zero doubt about what he was doing in the original.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The Question IRL posted:

If they're going to change so much about the story then I really would've preferred them calling the protagonist someone else instead of Light. That way we would disassociate this film entirely from the source and treat it as its own storyline with its own merits, almost as if this was just another student that Ryuk gave another notebook to, over in the states.

As it stands, it's going to be virtually impossible for me to see this film as anything but just another cringeworthy live-action attempt to cash in on some popular cartoon or another by bulldozing everything that actually made it cool and interesting.

Maybe it'll prove me wrong, but highlighting the most generic romance between the most obnoxious teenagers imaginable in the trailer doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think most people who see this film won't know it's based on a cartoon and the marketing should not sell it as such.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe if this does well they'll finally loving make that Monster live action adaptation they've been talking about for what feels like 20 years.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe if this does well they'll finally loving make that Monster live action adaptation they've been talking about for what feels like 20 years.

And then maybe someone will finally release the original show on blu-ray. :arghfist:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JordanKai posted:

And then maybe someone will finally release the original show on blu-ray. :arghfist:

If they do it'll just be a monstrous box set that costs 700 dollars. :japan:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Surely Monster should be done as a long form TV show instead of a movie.
Like that show was dense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Surely Monster should be done as a long form TV show instead of a movie.
Like that show was dense.

That was the plan last I checked. A movie was floated around as well, but that was before prestige TV became a thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

Now when the teaser came out people were complaining about making the lead American and white.

Having seen this trailer, I think it's a change for the better.

My brother and I were discussing this. He's worried that suitble nuances and character traits from the original have been lost. I think the changes offer a new take on the property.

My comments, quoted from Facebook.

"I don't know, playing Devil's Advocate here (ding ding ding. Pinball noise.)
They seem like they maybe have something interesting here.
A book with the power of life and death lands in the hand of a privileged, white American kid. He immediately uses it to kill poor people.
Is cheered on by the internet.
Is opposed by an intelligent person of colour who is against the idea of justice being meted out to "criminals" with lethal force with no oversight.

If nothing else that's potential a good western take on the property."

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think most people who see this film won't know it's based on a cartoon and the marketing should not sell it as such.

This. 99% of the people who watch the film won't have ever read the manga or seen the anime. Is there anime? I don't even know and I sell that poo poo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The only problem I have with the trailer is that I'm not getting enough of Light's super douchiness

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There is an anime and it's pretty funny since the early manga is about kind of just writing stuff down they make everything really overly dramatic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
As long as someone eats dramatically then this is a faithful adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC6T3_O2iWc

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Never seen or heard of the anime but that movie looks kinda cool.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Hopefully it ends when it should in the story, instead of going for another full half of the show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
animes are terrible and bad but that movie looks pretty okay. I will watch it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well I hope that it manages to draw in as many people as it's alienating because right now that video's sitting at 33041 likes and 36062 dislikes.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

I just hope for "action" shots of Light dramatically writing names in the book with lots of big arm movements and weird camera angles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Well I hope that it manages to draw in as many people as it's alienating because right now that video's sitting at 33041 likes and 36062 dislikes.

The anime fans weren't going to watch it regardless.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Soonmot posted:

animes are terrible and bad but that movie looks pretty okay. I will watch it.

I'm definitely checking out that movie now, and it wasn't even on my radar. Not really an anime person.

Is that big Juggalo looking thing the same one that was getting posted all over the Internet about 10 years ago?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know talking poo poo about anime is like my gimmick but all I really know about Death Note is that it was really popular a while back and part of a batch of "dark" animes that got dubbed and aired on American networks for some reason. I tried to watch an episode and it was really slow moving and dull and felt like I was coming in halfway through a movie. From what I know of the story there was no reason for it to be stretched out as long as it was and it was full of filler, so a movie would probably be better.

Oh and the artist ruined Castlevania.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I know talking poo poo about anime is like my gimmick but all I really know about Death Note is that it was really popular a while back and part of a batch of "dark" animes that got dubbed and aired on American networks for some reason. I tried to watch an episode and it was really slow moving and dull and felt like I was coming in halfway through a movie. From what I know of the story there was no reason for it to be stretched out as long as it was and it was full of filler, so a movie would probably be better.

Oh and the artist ruined Castlevania.

I believe Death Note was the manga Gene Simmon's kid ripped off for his comic book a few years ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I believe Death Note was the manga Gene Simmon's kid ripped off for his comic book a few years ago.

Hey, I think you're right! I almost forgot about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, I think you're right! I almost forgot about that.

I'LL NEVER FORGET IT

• Locked thread