Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
im learning ot use emacs rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rt4 posted:

im learning ot use emacs rn

rip

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I think my exit interview is gonna go like 'why did you decide to leave?' 'I'm a vim person, you're all emacs people, it was never meant to be'.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I think my exit interview is gonna go like 'why did you decide to leave?' 'I'm a vim person, you're all emacs people, it was never meant to be'.

lol if you don't have a mile-long parchment of extremely specific complaints about every dysfunctional rear end in a top hat at your company

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
your company (getting paid nothing to do stupid things) did not fit with my career goals (getting paid a lot to do interesting things)

Iverron
May 13, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

lol if you don't have a mile-long parchment of extremely specific complaints about every dysfunctional rear end in a top hat at your company

or if you do but don't speak them because gently caress this place I hope every dev leaves

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
they sent me an exit survey and I was going to do it but then I thought maybe one day I would come back and I don't want that in my record

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah my approach to exit interviews is gushing over the new thing, not breathing a word that might slightly raise the bridge's temperature much less burning it with glee

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

JawnV6 posted:

yeah my approach to exit interviews is gushing over the new thing, not breathing a word that might slightly raise the bridge's temperature much less burning it with glee

same, you never know when you'll see those people again

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The Management posted:

they sent me an exit survey and I was going to do it but then I thought maybe one day I would come back and I don't want that in my record

getting a SurveyMonkey link for an exit interview at my last gig was a good indicator the a) i made the right choice by leaving and b) that that company has a serious problem with turnover

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
two weeks in and the new job owns bones. it's really funny/sad to jump from one job to the next doing automation work where no one used features outside of the gui. this first period has been establishing basic web services and setting up a repo for the team for the first time (again). that said this new place is super loose and doesn't appear to give a poo poo as long as you're getting work done

we own infinite automation licenses for software and I had to talk a team down from rolling their own today :sigh:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

At least complain about your pay

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

I did that in person to my boss when I told him I'm leaving

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

This is the nicest thing you can do for your former co-workers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Clockwerk posted:

This is the nicest thing you can do for your former co-workers.

Yeah one of my friend-coworkers mysteriously got that promotion they'd been promising him for over a year a few weeks after I bailed

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah one of my friend-coworkers mysteriously got that promotion they'd been promising him for over a year a few weeks after I bailed

my last place is swimming in deadweight fte staff and vendors who try and keep them afloat. as soon as I left, after literal years of all the ftes telling management they needed to hire me and my coworker on full time, they shifted a tier 1 cj into a completely new fte position on the team

if I hadn't already left I would have quit

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

got some LinkedIn spam where the recruiter includes a BEM number in contact methods :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

take the job and then bring the sports almanac back with you

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

sometimes I wonder if any of my coworkers got raises right after I left for a substantial pay hike and told them so, but I cannot bring myself to ask anyone still working there how things are going

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah I'm really curious what kind of fresh stupidity has cropped up at my last job but not enough to make me want to communicate with anyone still there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I was just thinking yesterday about the state of some of my open bugs but then I realized it's no longer my problem and I don't give a poo poo.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

I was just thinking yesterday about the state of some of my open bugs but then I realized it's no longer my problem and I don't give a poo poo.

I remember I set my final task at my old job to "reassign all the poo poo I've been avoiding for ages" so that I wouldn't have to explain why it wasn't completed yet.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

so that I wouldn't have to explain why it wasn't completed yet.

"Well, as of...*looks at watch-less wrist*...right now I don't work here anymore."

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

I remember I set my final task at my old job to "reassign all the poo poo I've been avoiding for ages" so that I wouldn't have to explain why it wasn't completed yet.

i got pulled off doing anything for my last 2 weeks on friday

honestly have approximately zero things to do, i already wrote down everything i know, maybe will do some customer support, but theres none to be done atm

WELP

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I've been reading the workplace stack exchange site as a "Dear-Abby" type guilty pleasure. Some types of posts I've noticed that keep popping up are:

"Can I get in trouble for [felony/industry blacklist-level offense]?" <--Asked very nonchalantly

"I see you've made yourself more efficient at your job by automating something. Good job obsoleting yourself IDIOT, prepare to be fired!" <--Always has 20+ upvotes

"Is it legal to be chained to my desk and not get paid what I was promised? WebDev in Texas btw."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

i got pulled off doing anything for my last 2 weeks on friday

honestly have approximately zero things to do, i already wrote down everything i know, maybe will do some customer support, but theres none to be done atm

WELP
sounds like a good time to learn a new skill

pick something youve been meaning to teach yourself (regular expressions, the complicated bits of sql, a functional programming language, whatever) and read some wikipedia pages and watch some youtubes and :filez: some lynda classes and get to work

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ThePeavstenator posted:

I've been reading the workplace stack exchange site as a "Dear-Abby" type guilty pleasure. Some types of posts I've noticed that keep popping up are:

"Can I get in trouble for [felony/industry blacklist-level offense]?" <--Asked very nonchalantly

"I see you've made yourself more efficient at your job by automating something. Good job obsoleting yourself IDIOT, prepare to be fired!" <--Always has 20+ upvotes

"Is it legal to be chained to my desk and not get paid what I was promised? WebDev in Texas btw."

the best was when the ceo was getting literally cucked by his 10x dev and he was like "but if i fire him my company is done for :qq:". talk about double cucked

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the best was when the ceo was getting literally cucked by his 10x dev and he was like "but if i fire him my company is done for :qq:". talk about double cucked

I hate conflict, please give me a magical, confrontation-free solution that will solve this serious business situation that inherently involves conflict.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

wanna meet that dev

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

power botton posted:

wanna meet that dev

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

power botton posted:

wanna meet that dev

Talk about a rock star dev (cause of all the sex he's having)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

can you legally fire someone in cali for cucking you?

couldn't firing someone for a personal relationship be like, sexual harassment?

firing your cucking dev only to get slapped with a harassment suit would be the ultimate cuck

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you can fire anyone for any non-protected reason. you can legally fire someone for being an rear end in a top hat.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i wanted to do that many times when i was a manager and was always overruled :mad:

if you're tying your coworkers up in the middle of the night you really need to go but nooooo let's give them a third/fourth/fifth chance

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

maskenfreiheit posted:

can you legally fire someone in cali for cucking you?

couldn't firing someone for a personal relationship be like, sexual harassment?

firing your cucking dev only to get slapped with a harassment suit would be the ultimate cuck

i think he is being a dumb person who uses cuck to mean any kind of betrayal and the dev was doing work somewhere else on the side.

god that stupid meme has made the internet harder to read.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

My name's Buck and I'm here to cuck

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

i think he is being a dumb person who uses cuck to mean any kind of betrayal and the dev was doing work somewhere else on the side.

excuse me CEO emasculation is one of my many fetishes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ADINSX posted:

My name's Buck and I'm here to cuck

SCSI WAGON

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FamDav posted:

excuse me CEO emasculation is one of my many fetishes
me also, but in a much more literal sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

oh silly me I thought he meant a CEO wanted to fire a dev for banging his wife, bringing to mind the hit HBO comedy Silicon Valley

https://youtu.be/xY9PyM7mz8s

• Locked thread