Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

He's already gone in my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/Topshelf_TSSM/status/881675853494669313

jesus

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Zajac/Hall/Henrique/Hischier/Johansson/Palmieri is a pretty nice top six if Hisch comes out swinging.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

uh holy poo poo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I understand that, what I'm referencing is the people looking at the speculation over McDavid's deal and saying the Leafs need to gear up too. The way pundits are talking you'd think Matthews is getting $12M and Nylander/Marner are gonna get Toews/Kane money and I don't think that'll happen.

I agree it's unlikely those three turn out to be in that stratosphere. Even Toews and Kane didn't get there until their 3rd contracts. McDavid is a unique case and a bad comparable for other RFAs.

With that said, it seems ludicrous to me to start spending big money on older veterans at this point. The Leafs rebuild isn't over, not by a long shot. Hand waving away bad contracts because it doesn't matter now is what they used to do and it got them in trouble each time. It'll matter one day, maybe as early as next year.

One unexpectedly successful season on the strength of a half dozen great rookie performances isn't a trend. They're just as likely to come crashing back down next year and then big expensive free agents will seem like a huge waste of cap space that could be better leveraged as the team had been doing up to this point.

The Avs thought they were ready to compete a few years ago and brought in Iginla and now the team is a mess. They pivoted too soon. With the benefit of hindsight that much is obvious. I'm not saying this is an identical set of circumstances, but you can't ignore the parallels.

Big money free agents can supplement an established core looking to make the next step. They can be a giant boat anchor for teams not there yet. I think the Leafs are very much in the latter camp.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Stupid money, even for a one year deal. Sharks gonna have issues this year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lol the Capitals could have just exposed Johansson in the expansion draft and protected Schmidt. Now they are both gone.

What a dreadful offseason for the Capitals and MacLellan.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Top Shelf Hockey: Happy Birthday Jumbo!

Jumbo: OOOOOKAY PARDNER *rotates 180 degrees and rides mower off into horizon*

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

That's a lotta money for a broken old man.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Top Shelf Hockey: Happy Birthday Jumbo!

Jumbo: OOOOOKAY PARDNER *rotates 180 degrees and rides mower off into horizon*

The entirety of Thornton's retirement plan involves riding that mower around in a big field from sun up to sun sun down smiling to himself. :unsmith:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

:stare:

I mean, I get that it's one year, but $8 mil? Holy poo poo.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The entirety of Thornton's retirement plan involves riding that mower around in a big field from sun up to sun sun down smiling to himself. :unsmith:

I hope they let him ride it into the stadium and he just stands up from it once he reaches the ice in full gear

"my feet will never touch the dirt again"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kilza posted:

:stare:

I mean, I get that it's one year, but $8 mil? Holy poo poo.

$8 mil to invite the modern Paul Bunyan to play hockey, I mean, I'd say that's a bargain

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Koopa Kid posted:

There's still lots of RFA years too, I agree with your long-term estimate but I can see a bridge deal or two potentially, especially if anyone has a rough year or injuries happen.

Plus I think they can absorb $25M over the next three seasons just fine, the only other major player coming up for a contract is Gardiner and there's over $40M in space opening up.

Yeah I think Nylander is gonna get a bridge deal. Not so sure about Matthews and Marner though. I could see them taking 9x8 or something if the Leafs go in that direction. So 25 is probably high in year 3. I'm crazy high on Marner though. He's gonna win an Art Ross when McDavid has an off year.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Thats Brent Burns, you cant fool me

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Too many teeth

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

cock in hand

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You must be confused by the beard and the paycheck.

You can tell them apart by the smile, Joe has one because he just got paaaaaaaaid. Burns doesn't because the sharks are giving away cap space to injured old men.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/881618093272735744

hayley wickenheiser guest coaching at the oilers prospect camp :unsmith:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Thorton and I have the same beard colouration and he's only 7 years older than me. =/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stretch Marx posted:

Thorton and I have the same beard colouration and he's only 7 years older than me. =/

You're a Leafs fan, it's understandable

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I started getting silver hairs on my chin when I was 35, life comes at you fast.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

One unexpectedly successful season on the strength of a half dozen great rookie performances isn't a trend. They're just as likely to come crashing back down next year and then big expensive free agents will seem like a huge waste of cap space that could be better leveraged as the team had been doing up to this point.

The Avs thought they were ready to compete a few years ago and brought in Iginla and now the team is a mess. They pivoted too soon. With the benefit of hindsight that much is obvious. I'm not saying this is an identical set of circumstances, but you can't ignore the parallels.

There's definitely a chance they take a step back but I don't think it's the same situation as the Avs had:

Goals came from good possession #s rather than crazy shooting percentages.
They went 1-8 in the shootout last year; I will :toxx: right now that they gain more than 1 Bettman Point in 2017-2018. With the amount of talent that they've got upfront, I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine something closer to 50% in the coinflip.

The Leafs' luck last season had more to do with the team staying healthy and Tampa having injury problems than with the team actually overachieving. There's a good chance that they get some injuries next season, but they've added Marleau on top of basically the exact same team so you can think of him as a highly skilled insurance policy if Marner or JVR miss some time with an injury, or just another skilled winger that pushes guys like Hyman/Komarov down (and maybe Matt Martin to the press box? Is that too much wishful thinking?) if they luck out on injuries again.

I know this is mostly naive Leafs fan homerism, but I think the Leafs' talent is closer to Dallas than Colorado. Marleau is old as gently caress but he didn't cost us anything and the team is basically one Patrick Marleau better than it was last year (if Hainsey for Hunlak is a wash)
ps please don't sign and play Polak, Leafs.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Nah this deal puts the Leafs over the cap so a salary dump transaction will take place between now and preseason most likely.

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Powershift posted:

You must be confused by the beard and the paycheck.

You can tell them apart by the smile, Joe has one because he just got paaaaaaaaid. Burns doesn't because the sharks are giving away cap space to injured old men.

Burns is making $8mil a year until he's 40 too, pretty sure he's just as happy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

Nah this deal puts the Leafs over the cap so a salary dump transaction will take place between now and preseason most likely.

LTIR

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Pretty good deal by Ray. They still badly need another top 4 d-man (and maybe one more winger), but that's a step forward.

re: Shattenkirk

quote:

Shero said any reports that the Devils offered Shattenkirk a seven-year deal – or that Shattenkirk ever asked the Devils for a maximum seven-year deal – are incorrect.

“That’s not something we would have done anyway,” Shero said. “He came in last week and it was apparent he wanted a shorter term deal. That piqued my interest. That’s where we got involved. The four-year deal with the Rangers, basically, that’s what we were talking about.

Shero added the characterization that the Devils were desperate for his services and, with more than $27 million in salary cap space, would have offered Shattenkirk “whatever he wants, that was never going to happen.”

Shero, though, said he gained a lot of respect for Shattenkirk because the negotiations were never about term and Shattenkirk, after getting the offer from the Rangers, never came back to Shero and said he would come to the Devils if the Devils offered a seven-year deal.

“If the Rangers were capped out, or if he didn’t have as much interest (in them, Shattenkirk grew up a Rangers’ fan in New Rochelle, N.Y.) he’d probably be here.”

and Kovalchuk:

quote:

9. The Ilya Kovalchuk update: “Realistically, on the process, you should probably ask Jay Grossman (Kovalchuk’s U.S.-based agent). As to where Kovy wants to end up (playing, KHL or NHL) or any sort of deadline he might be facing there, it certainly falls to Kovy and Jay. Outside of that, I probably wouldn’t want to comment. I don’t think this stretches on for real long. I’ll have more conversations with Jay Grossman in the next day, the next couple of days.”

10. That said, Shero added he’s not going to trade Kovalchuk for “pennies on the dollar.” At the same time, Shero said, “I don’t want to be an impediment for him getting back in the league. My intent is not to keep him out of the league.”

also those picks were from the Marc Savard and Lou deals lol

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 3, 2017

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

LTIR doesn't come into effect until the second day of the season.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

fits posted:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/881618093272735744

hayley wickenheiser guest coaching at the oilers prospect camp :unsmith:

Do you think the Habs can get Marie-Philip Poulin to play forward?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Leafs can play roster shenanigans for a day to make it work.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

ThinkTank posted:

Big money free agents can supplement an established core looking to make the next step. They can be a giant boat anchor for teams not there yet. I think the Leafs are very much in the latter camp.

The avs were a lovely possession time run by a fuckwit coach that got lucky with shooting percentages and goaltending. They had all the warning signs of a team playing way above their heads and they did nothing to address it beyond bringing in the godawful danny briere and the good offensively, poo poo defensively Iginla. All the while they ran the same poo poo forward depth and defense and couldn't hack it.

The Leafs this year are a good possession team run by a competent coach with an average PDO. There's no reason to assume they're going to come crashing back to earth. They also have a wealth of prospects coming to shore up the roster over the next couple years. Their rebuild is entering the stage where they should start building towards a contender, Marleau on a short term contract is an easy way to try and accelerate that, especially if he ends up in Zach Hyman's spot. They're also likely ditching Ben Smith playing any minutes with the much better Moore coming in. Polak and Hunwick are gone replaced by the somewhat more competent Hainsey and Dermott or Marincin.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Drunk Canuck posted:

LTIR doesn't come into effect until the second day of the season.

That's not true. You can have players on LTIR before the season starts and be exceeding the cap on day one. Look at 50.10 (d) illustration 4 in the CBA, it discusses putting a player on LTIR prior to opening day.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I seem to remember something about Alexander Wennberg being temporarily "sent" to Cleveland last year when the Cap took effect before the season long enough for the CBJ to put Clarkson on LTIR, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
not necessarily NHL-related, but they just wrapped up a charity game in buffalo that lasted 11 straight days. the rosters (40-ish guys total) were filled with lots of relative nobodies outside of michael peca, but there were a bunch of older guys with NCAA and junior experience.

final score ended up being 1715 - 1690, and they raised just north of a million dollars for cancer research. it's also gone on record as the longest hockey game ever played

http://www.11daypowerplay.com/about/

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

These super simple game score charts are fun.

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/880096414424084480

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/881658017338593280

He should add a line for salary comps.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Lol

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

He looks good in certain narrow views. He probably is better than we think of him because his gaffs are so glaring in the eye test. (Slow as hell, pushes people into his goalie, takes bad penalties.)

The bottom line is that he's crazy expensive for a 3rd pairing D, which is a much bigger drag on the Caps than his on-ice play. After the last 10 days or so I'm not sure that GMBM is tuned in to that aspect as well as I'd thought, either.

On The Fly defensemen corsi leaders:

https://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/880148972349861889

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/881867909932384260
https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/881904464684298240

Yay for Hemsky. :unsmith:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES