Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You'd need to put a gun to my head to get me to play 5atb so no idea how the different formations stack up against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
I ran an ultra-attacking high pressure 5 atb with a killer Russian League squad when the game first started. It works well, especially because most players players aren't used to it or throw an absolute fit in their mind when coming up against 5 atb (the endless hate messages you'll get are hilarious.) I still run it from time to time, I've found that it absolutely dominates against players you are better than. If your opponent is as good/better than you and knows how to close down space you'll have a hard time creating attacking moves due to being down one player in attack most of the time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the 5-2-2-1 is basically the same as the 4-3-2-1 except that center mid gets moved back to center back. I thought it might work well since I seem to find myself attacking with my fullbacks a lot for some reason, but it seems like moving them to wingback has made them lose all interest in going forward at all.

Also I'm in division 5 right now and ran into a guy whose squad was basically the Serie A TOTS plus TOTS Aubameyang. He was really bad. I..can't even estimate how much money he would've spent on that squad.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Had a pretty good weekend again, even with the 8 gold limit, got to 28 wins.

I've turned my Ligue 1 squad into a loving monster along the way, I bought Griezmann before my last 5 games yesterday because I really wanted a left footed left striker, and he's been amazing for me so far, 7-0 with him on the team through the last 5 of the weekend league and today's tournament. He's been a bit harder to work into my main team, and I had to sell my pack pulled Tolisso and the mbappe I bought, but now I have this:

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4459483

I don't have quite enough for Felipe Luis, so MOTM Alex Sandro is still there on 7 chem for now, but other than that everything is as-is and it gives me great pleasure to finally have one of those teams that makes people go "oh god damnit" when they see my team during loading.

Also, for those wondering, I've not noticed any sort of drop off in player performance as my team rating gets higher, at least not 'regularly'. Obviously I still have games where my players play like poo poo but it's down to the servers or whatever I'm sure. My team rating is 89 now, by far the highest I've ever had in any Fifa. In general, though, as my team has gotten better and higher rated, I've been doing better, and I'm on pace for elite 1 monthly this month which is a significant improvement.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Has any of you ever had DKO progress 'forgotten' by the game. I just won 2 and then after leaving the console for a while to get a drink I was back at the R16 with the results gone. Didn't take an attempt off me but annoying nonetheless

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The SBCs and this TOTS are really bringing down player prices. I'm thinking of getting tots silva and ederson to have a defence I could put into any team until the game ends. I'm also thinking about getting Kante because his MOTM was absurd and well... look at the tots. I think these prices will start going up as soon as Thursday. People have been anticipating the reward crater on thurdays now and prices on top cards have generally risen. I did 3 tradeable sbcs, got crap, crap, and Quaresma who's very good. I built a semi expensive portuguese squad around him.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

hopterque posted:

I would definitely, definitely switch to the 41212 (2) (the narrow version). I'd also look into finding a left footed striker to play on the left side alongside Auba, Dembele's OTW or IF (whichever is cheapest) on 7 chem at RF is a solid bet, he's a great player and 5star/5star so that's a big plus.

I'd pick up Keita (one of his informs if you can afford them) for one of your midfield slots, Castro was never particularly good for me, but there's plenty of great cheap versatile CMs in the league, Renato Sanchez, Junozovic, a bunch more.

Something like this maybe, a bit out of your pricerange still but you can roll with some other midfielder instead of Stindl: https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4783833

Also, if that Aubamayeng is tradeable I would absolutely sell him and use that money to build a much better team all around.

Thanks for the good advice! Picked up Draxler, Goretzka, Sanches and IF Keita. Sanches is a beast at that rating! Have been rolling with Volland and Werner as second striker with ok success.. Anything else seems out of my budget right now.

Can't sell that Aubameyang, would probably have done so already.

Got promoted out of Div 7 again and seem to be more consistent at not being knocked out first round in the DKT :shobon:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The tots SBC pack is out. Rubbing my hands, Walk out..... Oh looks like an italian flag!.... Mexico? Marco Fabian. I got two other tots, Gustavo Bou, and Pontus Jansson, trash. I shouldn't be annoyed but considering I got Pazdan in my tradeable pack from DKTs I'm a little annoyed. I'm chucking these three into two tradeable SBCs then buying tots Kante.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

LastDeadMouse posted:

I ran an ultra-attacking high pressure 5 atb with a killer Russian League squad when the game first started. It works well, especially because most players players aren't used to it or throw an absolute fit in their mind when coming up against 5 atb (the endless hate messages you'll get are hilarious.) I still run it from time to time, I've found that it absolutely dominates against players you are better than. If your opponent is as good/better than you and knows how to close down space you'll have a hard time creating attacking moves due to being down one player in attack most of the time.
Speaking of, I've been meaning to make this cheap troll 5atb squad but haven't quite pulled the trigger. https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4703650 Any improvements for the sole purpose of annoying people and/or winning matches? I haven't hosed with a PL squad this year and I'm kinda itchin to try it.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

The tots SBC pack is out. Rubbing my hands, Walk out..... Oh looks like an italian flag!.... Mexico? Marco Fabian. I got two other tots, Gustavo Bou, and Pontus Jansson, trash. I shouldn't be annoyed but considering I got Pazdan in my tradeable pack from DKTs I'm a little annoyed. I'm chucking these three into two tradeable SBCs then buying tots Kante.

I got TOTS Glushakov and Knockaert and TOTW Shaun Wright-Phillips. Underwhelmed to say the least. Used those to do a tradeable TOTS SBC. Got Bou.... Used him in another one with untradeable Guerreiro. Got Renato Neto.

I have absolute shite luck today.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I pretty much destroyed my club and got jack poo poo. Glad the year's almost done.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elliptical Dick posted:

I got TOTS Glushakov and Knockaert and TOTW Shaun Wright-Phillips. Underwhelmed to say the least. Used those to do a tradeable TOTS SBC. Got Bou.... Used him in another one with untradeable Guerreiro. Got Renato Neto.

I have absolute shite luck today.

Renato Neto is cool and good irl :shrug:

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
I got Balde Diao and Dembele from my ultimate pack and they slotted right into my teams. My pack luck has been really bad all year but all is forgiven after that pack.

This was my first year playing fut and I'm really happy with how my teams turned out. I'm bad at the game (div 2) and with two kids I haven't even tried qualifying for the weekend league. I have been trading on the companion app at work all year and these are my final teams:

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4836102

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4836052

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

shut up blegum posted:

Renato Neto is cool and good irl :shrug:

I managed to do another one by buying Cairney at discard and got Jorgensen. I'm slotting him in to my BPL squad where he'll be on 8 chem after 10 games. Sánchez will be on 8 chem but Jorgensen seems like a big enough improvement on SIF Benteke to justify it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

My big purchases during this crash were TOTS Kante and Thiago Silva. I have the Hyperlink with TOTS Marquinos and Ederson behind. I think prices will rebound quite a bit in a week even if interest in the game is dwindling. Kante is going to either be on the bench or starting 11 until the game ends. As I said before, his MOTM was already crazy. I actually played that card in False 9 in WL to success.

The biggest thing I've noticed between Elite CBs vs good CBs is, oddly enough, the far superior dribbling/reactions first followed by the passing, the increased defending is noticeable but far less important to the card. Since defense is already so strong this year having the 99 reactions, good ball control, and good short passing is actually massive. Defensively TOTS Silva isn't that much better than Sokratis' base card (it's noticeable but not crazy) but the reactions and handling of the ball makes a world of difference. Instead of tackling then stumbling and then letting a striker away you tackle have the ball at your foot and pick out a winger with a pinpoint pass. It sounds rather obvious but I myself underrated that difference the ancillary stats make and I'm kicking myself for not getting elite defenders early on.

Elliptical Dick posted:

I got TOTS Glushakov and Knockaert and TOTW Shaun Wright-Phillips.

That's Bradley Wright-Phillips damnit :arghfist: . I'm a Redbulls fan so naturally I've got him mashed into an England squad.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

quote:

That's Bradley Wright-Phillips damnit :arghfist: . I'm a Redbulls fan so naturally I've got him mashed into an England squad.

lol my bad

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I finally made a money squad because up until this point I've been too addicted to making multiple fun/novelty teams to have a big coin pile. I start on full chem in a 433(3) then switch in game to this.

It's absolutely filthy. The entire midfield and attack can dribble and reliably shoot from anywhere on the pitch. Literally the only faults in the team are that the fullbacks are average and Depay's finishing is only 82 (but 99 shot power and 92 longshots). Bernardo Silva at CAM is a joke.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 30, 2017

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think i'm going to delete my club. the TOTS sbc finally killed me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I think i'm going to delete my club. the TOTS sbc finally killed me.

That sucks. Isn't this your first fifa? Rule 1 of never buy coins kind of extends logically to SBCs. Only do ones worthwhile. A lot are worth it or at best a wash, a lot are coin sinks. I'll let myself do a few dumb ones but set a number or coin limit on it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, I've learned my lesson, and I'll probably drag myself back for next year.

I got *too* into FUT tho so this is probably for the best.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Seltzer posted:

That sucks. Isn't this your first fifa? Rule 1 of never buy coins kind of extends logically to SBCs. Only do ones worthwhile. A lot are worth it or at best a wash, a lot are coin sinks. I'll let myself do a few dumb ones but set a number or coin limit on it.

How do you yourself decide if one is worthwhile? I've done quite a few and thought they were enjoyable and something to do on breaks at work but I probably spent a few too many coins on them

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I've been playing pretty well or at least better with the 5-2-2-1.

Is Federico Fazio worth looking at as a one of the deep center backs in a 5 atb formation, or is he too slow to be of any use to anyone?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I hosed around with his tots in an Argentine squad one WL and didn't curse him any more than my other CBs. Make sure to support him tactically and stick a shadow on him as a baseline tho

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
God I hate this game sometimes. Went 7-1 I my first 8 games. loving great start, was getting hopeful for at least Elite 3. Then went 2-10. I wish I knew what I'm doing wrong here but I think I mostly just fail tactically against guys that close down space well

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Elliptical Dick posted:

God I hate this game sometimes. Went 7-1 I my first 8 games. loving great start, was getting hopeful for at least Elite 3. Then went 2-10. I wish I knew what I'm doing wrong here but I think I mostly just fail tactically against guys that close down space well

Just stop playing when you lose two in a row, or even after every loss. Take a break, do something else, play a different game, cook some dinner, etc.

Losing in this game is often infuriating and the more you lose the worse it gets, generally, because you get more and more mad.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm gonna run a bronze squad and see if I can hit 5 wins

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'm gonna run a bronze squad and see if I can hit 5 wins

A good and noble pursuit but please, still use a gold keeper.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

hopterque posted:

Just stop playing when you lose two in a row, or even after every loss. Take a break, do something else, play a different game, cook some dinner, etc.

Losing in this game is often infuriating and the more you lose the worse it gets, generally, because you get more and more mad.

Yeah I noticed I was tilting pretty heavily after a couple of frustrating games. Went 7-3 today and am at 16 wins with 10 left to play so have a decent chance of making it to gold 2. Really think I'm just a small step away from finally making it to 25 wins in a week. I'll definitely take a break from the game next time I lose 2 in a row. Hasn't happened yet today though

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
That elite stuff sounds like fun, is it a FUT only thing?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can someone explain the chemistry/ratings math of using a winger at striker? In this case the Balde Diao SIF, in a team otherwise all Serie A.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Convert them to RF/LF and you'll get 7 chem with loyalty and manager bonus. You can check out what that does to stats (depending on chem style, I'd use maestro or finisher) here: https://www.futbin.com/17/player/18376/bald%C3%A9-diao

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I loving did it!

I got elite 3 this week, barely scraped by at the end but I made it, 29 wins.

This means I get two players from this team: http://www.futhead.com/17/totw/ea-tots/

Tradeable. Worst I can do is like 300k coins profit plus the 75k from the rewards and the 100k pack.

Also means I got elite 1 monthly which should be 20 red versions of TOTS players from the big 5 leagues. A crapshoot to be sure, but who knows. Thursday is gonna be cool.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Just wait until you get doubles of Kroos :v:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Just wait until you get doubles of Kroos :v:

Can't get two of them in the same pack, so I'm safe.

But even that would be like 200k.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm hoping to live vicariously when you pull Messi and CR7 back to back.

After detonating my club I have these players of consequence left: SBC Suarez, 90 Dybala, TOTS Werner, SPOTM Son, SBC Lacazette. Having contemplated how to best fit them all into one squad for loving around this is what I came up with (Pregame swap of Khedira and Werner nonwithstanding). Any better ideas? Every other player I still own is sub-80 :suicide:

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4921656

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
rolled through div4 and 3 with these boys, very fun squad, most of the informs/tots cards i got for basically discard, still waiting for tots to drop in a price a bit, but the SBC card is still ridiculous

dzyuba is an absolute monster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKK32xpTtc4
shatov is very servicable even in non inform
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtW9LhcubNk
promes is fantastic, probably can never afford his tots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_xGjf-ZEk
and smolov is honestly unreal, his tots must be insane, can't wait to use him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iQXvdRUVcA

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 2, 2017

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

I loving did it!

I got elite 3 this week, barely scraped by at the end but I made it, 29 wins.

This means I get two players from this team: http://www.futhead.com/17/totw/ea-tots/

Tradeable. Worst I can do is like 300k coins profit plus the 75k from the rewards and the 100k pack.

Also means I got elite 1 monthly which should be 20 red versions of TOTS players from the big 5 leagues. A crapshoot to be sure, but who knows. Thursday is gonna be cool.
God damnm great work

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nice. Now loan Jonathan Fisk some coins.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
When I pull ronaldo and messi and sell them both I'd spread the money around if it wasn't a huge pain in the rear end and wouldn't get everyone involved coin wiped or banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopterque posted:

When I pull ronaldo and messi and sell them both I'd spread the money around if it wasn't a huge pain in the rear end and wouldn't get everyone involved coin wiped or banned.

Yea I was half joking but you can still move coins if you're smart about it. I did it last year when price bands were awful and restrictive. Certain players wouldn't sell at their min and I had someone buy my IF Aubameyang for like 600k and then I gave him 100k afterwards. I forget the cards and the amount of coins involved precisely but unless you're blatantly obvious it's kinda easy to do smaller amounts.

• Locked thread