Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 6, 1995)

Garfield Classic (July 6, 1985)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Man, I hate it when the funnies get political.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so are Baldo's family actually illegals or not?

I don't know the lore

I think Baldo is a second generation American. No idea if his grandmother is an illegal or not.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Well, there was this one Baldo strip...

It was an April Fools day comic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I guess Kelley just leaves his unlocked phone on the table for anyone to grab.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is...uh...what was I talking about again?

Working Daze is easily distracted.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix will get around to it, okay? Relax.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

I guess Kelley just leaves his unlocked phone on the table for anyone to grab.

Dustin is "young" therefore a "hacker" and can easily use all technology

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2001 Spiderman

"Yeah, JJJ just did some mad science in an effort to destroy spiderman. Typical Jonah."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"I'll have my revenge on J.Jonah Jameson for turning me into a hideous half-scorpion monster!"

- Mac Gargan, after drinking a serum he'd been told would turn him into a hideous half-scorpion monster, 2001.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Aardmania posted:

Well, there was this one Baldo strip...

It was an April Fools day comic.

I'd love to see Cantu and Castellanos do something like this today.

Let's cactch up on some Vargo comics.

BC

Phoebe

Baldo

Wiz of Id

Ted Rall's gonna sue.

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave

and before I post the Comic Kingdom comics, here's a sampling of 2007 Nancy by Gil (and Brad) Gilchrist. It's very strange because there's so much Gilchrist here, including cheesecake, Americana, and masturbating to oldies. But at the same time, there's actual gags, the art is better (even it if it is imitating Bushmiller), there is acknowledgement of current-at-the-time music, and a sense of humor admitting that old bands weren't perfect. It's still not GOOD, but it's not the garbage we have now. It's mostly just... weird.

Come back, Brad Gilchrist.

(Does anyone have cure for that annoying imagr plugin that sometimes "greys out" the selection when you upload it? It takes three or four tries to get it right sometimes, and sometimes it never will.)

EDIT: Imagr plugin must've heard I was talking poo poo because now it won't upload at all. Curtis and Baby Blues come later, I guess.)

Vargo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 2, 2017

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

2001 Spiderman

"Never Step on A. Scorpion." So if you happen to run into Archibald Scorpion somewhere, don't step on him.

F Minus

Whale cartoon #1

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Go to her" and "Make things right." Why didn't he think of that?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Whale cartoon #2

Rex Morgan MD

Jungle Jim

And since Manuel Calavera is not posting for a few days and it's right when Tina's Groove is ending, I thought I'd go ahead and post those.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vargo posted:

Wiz of Id

That looks like it would be hell on the prosta... oh, it's a seat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Zits

Reply All

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

That usually happens when Thorax is seen in his briefs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

There is something slightly unnerving about a unicorn in a bikini.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Say Nothing posted:

There is something slightly unnerving about a unicorn in a bikini.

Ignore it. Heavenly Nostrils has always been a fantastic comic if you ignore things like that and just entirely assume the author moved on entirely from their previous phases.

I'm super bummed about Tina's Groove ending. It's probably #2 on my list of current comics, with Wallace at #1 and Heavenly Nostrils at #3. I'm happy she got her dream job, and I'm going to hope that Rhymes With Orange stops being a comic that my grandma keeps putting on her fridge and turns into something more enjoyable for me, but we'll see I suppose. Either way, grateful that we got to enjoy Tina's Groove as long as we did.

I'm vaguely considering trying to see if the entire archive is available on the site and maybe post a couple each day so we can have it from the beginning, because I like it, but I'm also very lazy so I might not. At least not in a reliable fashion.

However, I'm not too lazy to post this, if people want. Let me know if people want me to continue! This one and another one I have scanned are my 2 favorites from the books I have, which as far as I know are all the ones published lately. One of those I did grab from a much earlier thread, the other I think I photographed my book.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I...You know what? I am going to protect what sanity is left by not thinking about this at all.

You are correct, there is something unnerving about it, but just going to leave that unexamined.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Zippy

Ripley's

DT later tonight.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
This is pretty great. I also liked the old Nancys - anything is better than Gilchrist solo.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams (click for huge)

And He Did. (October, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (October, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (October, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (September, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (March, 1941)

Archie (February, 1956, click for big)

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (January, 1972, click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2001, click for big)

:allears:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

1) Cheryl makes new tire sculpture to amuse passing motorists
2) Passing motorists see tire sculpture and are amused but also distracted
3) Passing motorists are killed when they are hit by another motorist passing in the opposite direction
4) Cheryl scavenges tires from wreck
5) One week later, Cheryl makes new tire sculpture to amuse passing motorists

We're on to your evil scheme, Cheryl.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

:anarchists:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Johnny Aztec posted:

I...You know what? I am going to protect what sanity is left by not thinking about this at all.

You are correct, there is something unnerving about it, but just going to leave that unexamined.

The author has a shaving fetish

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

For me it was mostly that it made me think of this thing:

Hey, bad news. These days Comics Kingdom haaaaaaates me. I don't know what it is, but, like, broken images everywhere, and it's only getting worse. And CK is the only website where I have this issue. I haven't heard anybody else in the thread complaining that this is happening, so I guess it's just me. Maybe it's Chrome? I don't know. But I can't reliably post my comics until it's fixed or fixes itself.

If anybody wants to take over or even just try to fill in gaps until this is resolved, it would be really cool. I can still do Luann (yay?), but here are my other comics, if anybody wants to pitch in:

The Amazing Spider-Man (7 days)

Sally Forth (7 days)

The Heart of Juliet Jones (7 days)

Phantom Classic (7 days)

Radio Patrol (No Sunday)

Rip Kirby (No Sunday)

Big Ben Bolt (No Sunday)

Prince Valiant (Sunday only)

The lovely part is that the classics are behind a paywall.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Rhymes with Orange has definitely improved significantly since Rina joined, but I really loved Tina's Groove and will miss seeing it posted. These meta strips as she shuts down have been particularly clever, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, bad news. These days Comics Kingdom haaaaaaates me. I don't know what it is, but, like, broken images everywhere, and it's only getting worse. And CK is the only website where I have this issue. I haven't heard anybody else in the thread complaining that this is happening, so I guess it's just me. Maybe it's Chrome? I don't know. But I can't reliably post my comics until it's fixed or fixes itself.
According to the Newspaper Spiderman thread, it's not just you:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Comicskingdom blew up again, so having to source this from a lower res site :(

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

The author has a shaving fetish

Yeah yeah, I know all about that stuff, long long before this strip existed. This strip is good enough that I gave her a pass on all the old weird poo poo

It's mostly that Marigolds 2 piece isn't even covering anything.
All the horse nipples are closer to the rump than the forelegs. And then that just reminds me of that argument amongst Bronies as to WHERE breasts would be on a(cartoon) horse.
And then THAT reminds me of that comic drawn where a MLP OC with huge horse breasts up around their back legs, and would just be squirting milk everywhere all the goddamn time.

.....Goddamn, you spend enough time on SA and you see poo poo that will never leave you

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It just reminds me of Snorkmaiden in the Moomin comics needing a nice bikini to swim in the posh hotel pool despite her and the Moomins being naked all the time.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

WindyMan posted:

1) Cheryl makes new tire sculpture to amuse passing motorists
2) Passing motorists see tire sculpture and are amused but also distracted
3) Passing motorists are killed when they are hit by another motorist passing in the opposite direction
4) Cheryl scavenges tires from wreck
5) One week later, Cheryl makes new tire sculpture to amuse passing motorists

We're on to your evil scheme, Cheryl.

Where does the sausage stand with human meat come in?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

'I thought I'd never be able to defeat him. Then I tried hitting him.'

This one took me a moment, but it's really good.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Julet Esqu posted:

If anybody wants to take over or even just try to fill in gaps until this is resolved, it would be really cool. I can still do Luann (yay?), but here are my other comics, if anybody wants to pitch in:

I'd jump in on this action, but it's not just you. At least at the times of day I've tried it, CK has been crapping the bed on this end a lot lately. And the worst part is that it's still more reliable than I've been in the past few months.

Peanuts (July 5, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft is still going on about this poo poo, isn't it.

And now, half of the Thimble Theater backlog, or "This is where the Fleischers got the idea." (January 14-17, 1931)

'

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set just wants some background noise.

Working Daze gets out-nerded.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix doesn't know when to let up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Who borrows someone else's mobile phone? Why would you do that?

Vargo posted:

Wiz of Id
If the lever opens the door, what does the lock do?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The lock is representative of the psychological prison of the self.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dick Tracy fakes children's deaths and investigates mail-order coffee.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dustin

now this is quality humor

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Who borrows someone else's mobile phone? Why would you do that?
I think this is a sign the writer is extremely out of touch. What would Dustin even want his dad's phone on the date FOR?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Re: Unicorns in a Bikini.

There are no rules that say a dog can't play basketball, but there are rules that say anyone at a pool has to wear sex-appropriate swimwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

• Locked thread