Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

R.D. Mangles posted:

two of the lovely, tanking eastern teams are going to accidentally make the playoffs

Lmao and it'll be our two dumb teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really hope it's Brooklyn for the 8th seed. DLO redemption era.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

xbilkis posted:

If Gordon Hayward goes to Boston or Miami, he'd be the sixth-best Eastern Conference player by All-NBA vote totals. He'd be the 16th best Western Conference player. He wouldn't even make the All-Western Conference third team!

Doesn't this actually have a material impact on salary and stuff now or is that only all-NBA teams? I can't remember how it works.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Metapod posted:

Ah yes every star go west that seems smart
it's pretty loving awesome if you ask me. Plus we'll get the usual injuries. I just want the West to be a murderfest.

STAY WEST HAYWARD

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Thibs dumping Rubio to dump Cole is completely idiotic.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Thibs dumping Rubio to dump Cole is completely idiotic.

Aside from the Butler trade, I think individually his moves this offseason have been defensible but as a collective they suck. Why draft Justin Patton and sign Taj Gibson? At least get one guy who can stretch the floor from 4, committing yourself to playing two bigs at all times is not with the times. With all their cap space, they needed to find one guy who was a great shooter. Now they have no above average 3 point shooters at all which is just going to make Butler and Wiggins' job harder than it has to be.

edit: And if he throws in the OKC pick to dump Aldrich then yes that is a horribly lovely move.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Aside from the Butler trade, I think individually his moves this offseason have been defensible but as a collective they suck. Why draft Justin Patton and sign Taj Gibson? At least get one guy who can stretch the floor from 4, committing yourself to playing two bigs at all times is not with the times. With all their cap space, they needed to find one guy who was a great shooter. Now they have no above average 3 point shooters at all which is just going to make Butler and Wiggins' job harder than it has to be.

edit: And if he throws in the OKC pick to dump Aldrich then yes that is a horribly lovely move.

🎵Don't let your coach be your GM 🎵

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think getting butler for a pile of lint and a nickel gives him a lot of leeway

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

i think getting butler for a pile of lint and a nickel gives him a lot of leeway

ripping off the bulls doesn't count

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

Doesn't this actually have a material impact on salary and stuff now or is that only all-NBA teams? I can't remember how it works.

The new CBA criteria (and I quoted this incorrectly about 15 pages ago so forgive me) is The 5th Year, 30% Max is based on the player being named MVP (any of last three seasons), or All-NBA/DPOY (last season, or both prior seasons combined)

It used to incldue 2 all-star appearances, but that's been excised, to the great relief of teams. Anthony Davis saved the pelicans a bunch of money by getting hurt and not getting 2 all nba's before his contract

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Not a ton of money but still more than I'd want to pay him
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/881701111668789249

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm ready for All-Star Lance Stephenson.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I really hope the Sixers are good and fun next year because the East playoffs might be even more unwatchable than the last two years otherwise.

Cleveland should sit LeBron out until March.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

JR Smith, All-Star

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm ready for All-Star Lance Stephenson.

Me too, brother. Me too.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I won't be satisfied until the conferences are so unbalanced that the Nets go 30-52 but back into the playoffs and convey the 15th pick to the Celtics

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

I really hope the Sixers are good and fun next year because the East playoffs might be even more unwatchable than the last two years otherwise.

Cleveland should sit LeBron out until March.

So? It's not like the east is getting anything outside of NBA channel games this year

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
12th place in the West will likely not be able to get a top 10 pick next season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/881721002329346048

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

just started watching the lakers/celtics 30 for 30

donnie wahlberg?

really?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Is it TNT or ESPN that's stuck with the ECF this year?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

two of the lovely, tanking eastern teams are going to accidentally make the playoffs

lol ya ftw

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
Three questions.
Has there been any Bogut news besides the fact that he's enjoying Aussie guys getting paid.
Why does MV hate Jingles so much?
Did anyone ever try the Curry 3's? They're on special at my local sports store and I'm tempted.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Building a team to make the playoffs and building to usurp the best teams in the west is different. What was clear last year is Towns and Wiggins were getting lost defensively. Whether that meant they needed more veterans breathing down their neck or something the signings help.

Minnesota still lacks shooting. But asking why sign Taj if they drafted Patton is a bit much. A rookie slotting in expecting to log heavy minutes is tough. I don't love every signing but the team is clearly with length of contracts showing that it's a 2-3 year plan. Make playoffs first. Then worry about more. And in a couple years see where Towns is and what needs to be done from there.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I don't think I'm ready for a new era of grit n grind without z-bo or Tony Allen.

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 3, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

I can't say I share your enthusiasm for all porter, I think that 4%2p and 7%3p jump is a fluke and I think we watched different dudes on defense, he's...fine. Mostly adequate

I haven't watched him close enough to think one way or another; just recounting his reputation, and his stats. RPM puts him as 25th best in the league. 21st in WS, 24th or 25th in WS depending on if you raise the minutes limit high enough to exclude Bebe's 1088 minutes.

One Fun Fact about the Ten Commandments is how "covet thy neighbors wife" is just another include in a list of his property

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Adultery section is more confusing because it's never really defined in the Bible, but adultery was generally considered a capital crime, both parties could be put to death, which, as I have said in other threads, is far too lenient and narrow.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's gonna be the Nets book it

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

JR Smith, All-Star

I imagined Jr with tha ring. Now I imagine Jr with the all star jersey

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

gently caress yes. 3rd year is a team option, I thought there was no way in hell he was coming over without a max. Man, I wish the west wasn't so goddamn stacked.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Every single starter from that 60 win hawks team is gone? That was fast.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm a unnaturally big fan of Gallinari's game and even I can't say that any NBA team should covet him. That's a bit much. Has he even been healthy in years?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

12th place in the West will likely not be able to get a top 10 pick next season.

If the conferences had identical team records they'd only get what, 7th or 8th so that's not that weird?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Libertine posted:

I'm a unnaturally big fan of Gallinari's game and even I can't say that any NBA team should covet him. That's a bit much. Has he even been healthy in years?

No, which is why they need to be really careful with how they structure this deal. He's missed an avg of about 24 games a season over the last 3 years. I agree he's quite good though, when he's healthy. Good defender, good shooter.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Libertine posted:

He played in 63 games last year. Personally I think he's a year or two away from a catastrophic Granger/Parsons level decline but that's just my own hot take. I wince everytime I watch his awkward baby giraffe drives.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

chunkles posted:

:siren: first muscle gain of the offseason :siren:

Sorry friend, Julius Randle was first by a month and some change unless we're using Price is Right rules where because he started weight loss posting in May it doesn't count.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

No, which is why they need to be really careful with how they structure this deal. He's missed an avg of about 24 games a season over the last 3 years. I agree he's quite good though, when he's healthy. Good defender, good shooter.

Good...defender?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

DeimosRising posted:

I can't say I share your enthusiasm for all porter, I think that 4%2p and 7%3p jump is a fluke and I think we watched different dudes on defense, he's...fine. Mostly adequate

I hope all these Pacers trade rumors are true and Pritchard passed up not one or two but like a half dozen better deals because he has a weird grudge list

Celtics: dickhead
Blazers: fired me
Rockets: city has unpleasant weather
Lakers: possible gay???
Cleveland: once had a bad taco there

Eh the Rockets didn't have the assets to beat the OKC offer after the CP3 trade

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

paul zipser plans to add 3 pounds of bones

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

paul zipser plans to add 3 pounds of bones

He can't possibly add any more bones to that frame. He's already got too many bones in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

EvanTH posted:

It's gonna be the Nets book it

So far it looks like they got worse. Other teams got worse too but I don't see how they aren't in the bottom 4 or 5.

• Locked thread