Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

deathstate is also unusual in that unlocking more items and characters makes the game more fun, unlike isaac where it saddles you with cripplingly poo poo niche items every run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Synthbuttrange posted:

What is it? :O I started up a run and everything looks the same as usual?

really? nothing unusual happened? there's nothing weird in your party or inventory?

there's a Canada Day event if your system clock is still 7/1 that gives you 255 hockey sticks and a beaver as a free third party member. I don't know if it does anything else.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I live in Australia so its 2/7 here. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Synthbuttrange posted:

I live in Australia so its 2/7 here. :v:

Huh. Well, hope you're enjoying your February.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone muck with this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/392260/Rogue_Wizards/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Two games of Deathstate down. First run I died to the level timer on the first level. Second run I beat the skull and got the first ending (and 18 unlocks). It gets harder, right? :v:

I can tell this is one of those games I'm going to have to play only in short bursts, though. The super-high-contrast / psychedelic scheme can be hard on my eyes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Two games of Deathstate down. First run I died to the level timer on the first level. Second run I beat the skull and got the first ending (and 18 unlocks). It gets harder, right? :v:

I can tell this is one of those games I'm going to have to play only in short bursts, though. The super-high-contrast / psychedelic scheme can be hard on my eyes.

It gives me massive eyestrain/headaches. Still love it though :(

If you think it's too easy, either turn on insanity mode when you start, or desecrate cthulu every map

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've died enough times to unlock the scientist and priest and still have no victories.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Once you get the eyeball character you never go back, honestly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Once you get the eyeball character you never go back, honestly.

I won the first time with the guy who has extra hp. That HP is great for a bad person like me until I can get the engine going.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Immortal Redneck is... good? :pwn:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

victrix posted:

Immortal Redneck is... good? :pwn:

I found a weapon called the Wololo staff that lets you convert enemies to help you

the game owns

also the third pyramid does not gently caress around, despite the second pyramid being surprisingly easy

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have really overly specific Deathstate complaints! But the game rules and I can't stop.

(scientist shouldn't have access to the heal/ill potions in her repertoire because it turns the entire game into the "scum for MP for potions" minigame if you're wounded)

(also the blur from the Dizzy/Speed Up potions makes it really loving hard to see white shots even with High Contrast Shots on)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
finally started to get into Conquest of Elysium 4. the first playthrough with Baron was boring as hell, so I increased the difficulty and picked trolls. it's been fun watching how my three trolls with star sapphires (i.e., they negate half of attacks) tear apart 40 puny humans while regenerating and coming back to life

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wait until your mum learns how to make trolls immortal and you use it on your Trollking :unsmigghh:

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
So is the dodge in deathstate supposed to be a dodge through bullets or a dodge away from bullets?

I beat the game on my second run so I turned on hard mode. And yes, it's harder. The boss of the first level started summoning elite mooks, which just ate more damage than I could dish out at that point. But all the bullets on screen made me wish there was a button to slow down your movement like a lot of shmups have.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Has anybody played Warsim, by the way? http://store.steampowered.com/app/659540/Warsim_The_Realm_of_Aslona/

As always, the to-do list looks super cool, but the current content seems to be worth a punt, no?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JEBOman posted:

So is the dodge in deathstate supposed to be a dodge through bullets or a dodge away from bullets?
I believe it's a dodge through bullets. It doesn't increase your forward movement speed (but it does strafe sideways so you can kinda bunny hop?) but it makes you invincible while the little dodge aura is actually there. But I'm still new too, so I could be wrong.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yes, Deathstate's dodge is pretty much entirely for the I-frames. It really throws me off, because I've been playing both Deathstate (where the dodge is slow, short, and used only for its generous I-frames) and Monolith (where the dodge is fast, takes you a huge distance, and has no I-frames whatsoever).

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Thanks. I've been trying it both ways and not getting any success. Have a couple wins on normal difficulty without using it, but it seems like it is necessary for the harder modes. Especially in the place with the bugs that shoot lines of creep across the whole screen. I feel like I should be able to dodge over the creep, but I can't seem to find the timing on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Burning Rain posted:

finally started to get into Conquest of Elysium 4. the first playthrough with Baron was boring as hell, so I increased the difficulty and picked trolls. it's been fun watching how my three trolls with star sapphires (i.e., they negate half of attacks) tear apart 40 puny humans while regenerating and coming back to life

if you want a playthrough of 'Baron But Actually Fun', pick senator. they have more interesting things going on and eventually you can basically just pay to have your emperor/empresses turned into immortal, spellslinging gods

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JEBOman posted:

Thanks. I've been trying it both ways and not getting any success. Have a couple wins on normal difficulty without using it, but it seems like it is necessary for the harder modes. Especially in the place with the bugs that shoot lines of creep across the whole screen. I feel like I should be able to dodge over the creep, but I can't seem to find the timing on it.
Is that possible? I've just been operating under the assumption that dodge doesn't work on ground damage because I also can't get the timing down.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Johnny Joestar posted:

if you want a playthrough of 'Baron But Actually Fun', pick senator. they have more interesting things going on and eventually you can basically just pay to have your emperor/empresses turned into immortal, spellslinging gods

I like Baron, actually. They're kind of simple but it's fun to get a lot of knights and longbowmen and go ham.

Necromancer is the most fun class imo and pretty easy to pick up.

COE4 is not a very deep game but it's incredibly fun. I keep going back every couple months just to do some wild stuff, like turn my witch into an immortal undead swamp monster.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
my troll king died after somebody put decay on him, which took 1 hp more per turn than he regenerated. after the battle 100 more turns were fast forwarded and he died.

then my mom got the immortality spell.

then 200 unit undead ai stack appeared and slaughtered my two split stacks. i'll see if i've learned anything.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now i want to play coe4 some more

burning rain, are you playing with the awful modpack or just base game

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
CoE4chat: Bakemono is pretty fun if you like armies where you can just take a billion guys and smash them into a billion other guys. The thing is, the starting/basic Bakemono units are really lovely, and their elite troops are all expensive, semi-rare mercenaries - until you've got a decent sacrifice income and your Sorcerer starts summoning Oni and lesser/greater beings.

Almost every summon from those rituals has a weak elemental ranged attack that can be used at will, so you tend to graduate from huge blobs of expendable goblin dudes, to huge goblin blobs with really tough elite cadres at their core, to a cackling old Japanese wizard guy with a giant horde of complete assholes making GBS threads out 50,000 little flame, frost, wind, and lightning projectiles every goddamn turn. At that point you can pretty much walk up to mundane armies like Baron or Senator and eat them unless they strongly outnumber you or are entirely composed of extremely strong troops with excellent ranged support.

Also, your Sorcerer can turn mines into citadels, and eventually hide his heart in one of them to become an immortal cackling old Japanese wizard guy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
How do you guys feel about Cryptark? I think it's a fun, stylish mecha space shooter/roguelite where you fight sorta-undead aliens for salvage. The challenges for extra pay and the mission timers (for extra pay) seem to keep things moving along nicely, and the enemy/ship system variety seems pretty good. There are also plenty of weapons and systems to kit-out your space robot to your exacting specifications.

Also, how do you feel about the original Diablo played in single player? The game was intended to be a roguelike, after all, and all you can do is save and exit and if you die you're dead. I've had plenty of good times with it in the past. The elements are all there. Identifying magic items, random dungeon levels, a barebones town mostly just for storing loot, random shrines, the occasional enemy like the Black Death that have a chance to permanently reduce your hp, special bosses/side dungeons that only have a chance of spawning on any given playthrough, a clear goal at the bottom that involves killing a dude and taking his magical amulet stone, etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

How do you guys feel about Cryptark? I think it's a fun, stylish mecha space shooter/roguelite where you fight sorta-undead aliens for salvage. The challenges for extra pay and the mission timers (for extra pay) seem to keep things moving along nicely, and the enemy/ship system variety seems pretty good. There are also plenty of weapons and systems to kit-out your space robot to your exacting specifications.

Cryptark is, to me, like Nuclear Throne: stylish, good, fun..... has too much going on for me to be any good at it so I'm outstandingly bad at it. I'll play it for short bursts but it's frustrating when I just can't keep track of everything - aiming and flying and monsters.

Deathstate works because I only have to focus on movement and monsters, but - hey, this is my problem. Ultimately the three of them are really good games.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Tollymain posted:

now i want to play coe4 some more

burning rain, are you playing with the awful modpack or just base game

Lately, I always play with the Homeland security mods, both of them. The commander one is a little optional depending on your faction scouting or map size since it makes it possible to win without exploring the entire map, but it also prevents something like an ai troll king having a total wipe.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Immortal Redneck is real good y'all

Like, if the theme and soundtrack was different I think this would legit be one of my favorite games

As it is, if you liked Ziggurat at all, give it a shot

Randomized pyramids, shitloads of guns with good gunfeel, shitloads of rooms, good mix of enemy types with distinct behaviors, and really good, fast, and controllable movement.

Oh and it has persistent progression.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Even if you didn't like Ziggurat but you like first person shooters you should give Immortal Redneck a shot, it got right what Ziggurat got wrong (which is a lot).

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

As a corollary to the ongoing Immortal Redneck discussion, I like it in general, but I do have a few complaints with it regardless. During a run, scrolls are your main form of getting run-duration buffs, like movement speed or damage or some other unique buffs. But there are also a few debuffs mixed into the scrolls that range from minor to run-destroying, and you can't tell beforehand if the scroll is positive or not. I just stop the run immediately if I get the scroll that makes all HUD text gibberish hieroglyphics, and I really don't want to deal with the scroll that prevents you from standing still. Your upgrades are all Issac pills, for better or worse. I just wish there was a way to prevent negative scrolls or at least reliably mitigate them.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that possible? I've just been operating under the assumption that dodge doesn't work on ground damage because I also can't get the timing down.

It definitely works, I've done it enough times now. However, it's still pretty inconsistent for me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So I've gotten a few human fighters murdered in Angband so far. What do character levels actually do besides give you more hp?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

So I've gotten a few human fighters murdered in Angband so far. What do character levels actually do besides give you more hp?

Spell access and SP, as well. Fighters are really hard in Angband, standard humans doubly so. Dunadan Paladin is a friendlier start, the low XP modifier races are for experienced players trying to go fast imo as you get plenty of XP just bumping around looking for loot at level-appropriate depths.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If you had to pick one roguelike from the current sale, what would it be?

I obviously want all the roguelikes but its hard to justify when I already have a huge backlog....

Currently leaning on Dungeonmans or Caves of Qud... (Whatever I don't grab now I'll probably pick up in a few months anyway...)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deathstate is $2 get it and one more :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xik posted:

I obviously want all the roguelikes but its hard to justify when I already have a huge backlog....

Currently leaning on Dungeonmans or Caves of Qud... (Whatever I don't grab now I'll probably pick up in a few months anyway...)

i went to look up what was on sale so i could answer this post; it's amazing how many pages of steam games tagged as "roguelike" you have to go through before a roguelike appears

but yeah get Caves of Qud

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xik posted:

Dungeonmans is easier to approach and more fun imo.

Caves of Qud has more exploratory stuff and wacky skills though.

... Coinflip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Unexplored. I loving love the level design.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/506870/Unexplored/

Edit: a quote from the steam page
"The game plays like a real-time Brogue. That's great. I love it." – Yeoman