Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I didn't hate my time playing FFXV but I have no intention of ever playing it again. That's how I feel about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I find the postgame content stuff pretty offensive, particularly with Episode Prompto, which seems to contain a lot more substantial content that Gladio, including cutscenes that feature characters who straight up disappear from the vanilla game.

I'd said this before, but Square-Enix doesn't and shouldn't get a pass for charging you extra to finish the game they should have loving done right in the first place. It sours a good amount of my goodwill following FFXV, and I genuinely hope this does not in any way become a standard practice for the industry or the company.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone else who thought the ending was great, it doesn't make sense that it hits as hard as it does, really. The second half of the game is near-uniformly weak and it really doesn't earn the emotional climax it presents, but somehow small poo poo like just selecting your picture resonates super hard.

It ends up being really solid and I was convinced it was going to fall flat heading into it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF15 is a game with a barely there plot and acceptable minute to minute gameplay but its such a good character study in bro-hood it picks the rest of the game up and pats it on the back so it gets a buff.

Cid tells you exactly as much at the first Hammerhead segment even. IE how your time with the bros is more important than anything about duty and saving the world. Its like every dream come true for everyone who wanted to go camping with bros, and the duty stuff ends up resonating so strongly in relief of that friendship.

Even discounting the bro-hood, all the named characters are generally a joy to be around even when they are advancing a plot that is whirlwind at best because they have so much personality in their BS lines and animations. You genuinely want to save the world for all the people in it (and even close the book for the antagonist who's as destiny driven as you are) because your interactions with them are just so fun, not really because there's a compelling plot to follow to saving the world.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
If your final picture wasn't of Gladio's butt I don't want to speak to you

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd said this before, but Square-Enix doesn't and shouldn't get a pass for charging you extra to finish the game they should have loving done right in the first place. It sours a good amount of my goodwill following FFXV, and I genuinely hope this does not in any way become a standard practice for the industry or the company.

I'm pretty sure most games or companies would not try to follow the path of FF15's development so I don't think you need to worry on that one.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

OneDeadman posted:

If your final picture wasn't of Gladio's butt Cup Noodle I don't want to speak to you

Ftfy

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picked up VIII on the steam sale as I have a rather silly bit of nostalgia for the game. I don't currently have any PC controllers so can anyone recommend a WASD key configuration?

Also how are the PC ports of 10 and 13?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ventana posted:

I'm pretty sure most games or companies would not try to follow the path of FF15's development so I don't think you need to worry on that one.

AAA games have become more and more frequently released in rather broken states with day one patches to address issues that would not have been tolerated in a final product less than a decade ago.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I find the postgame content stuff pretty offensive, particularly with Episode Prompto, which seems to contain a lot more substantial content that Gladio, including cutscenes that feature characters who straight up disappear from the vanilla game.

FFXV shipped 6 million copies so it might not become standard for the industry but 'ship first, patch later' is working a lot better for SE than 'never ship, make no money.'

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

AAA games have become more and more frequently released in rather broken states with day one patches to address issues that would not have been tolerated in a final product less than a decade ago.

patching to fix broken poo poo is one thing, but just leaving out huge chunks of a game is another. plenty of games have supplemental material, but i don't anything comes close to squares dividing up of more or less central elements of the plot of ff15. there's a movie, a series, a phone game, patches and multiple dlc. little of it is necessary for the plot, but a lot of would have made the game noticably better as an end product had it been included.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Activision's Destiny

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Picked up VIII on the steam sale as I have a rather silly bit of nostalgia for the game. I don't currently have any PC controllers so can anyone recommend a WASD key configuration?

The port of 10 seems solid. 13 is pretty messed up, though

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I was leaning more towards taking a jab at FF15's long development.

For a real response, I've always been of the mindset to just not buy games if they are clearly unfinished and in a bad state. If the company patches it later to make it a good game, buy it then. If they don't patch it, don't support them. If they want to release an unfinished game, let them suffer on the day 1 sales.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The ports are fine, though FF13 requires like 60 gigs and is a little more intensive than you'd expect so be slightly cautious.

Idk about other people, but I always used ijkl for mimicking the face buttons whenever I would play wasd. Shoulder buttons is up to you though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
FFXV, with it's plot that kind of doesn't exist and weird open world and awful sidequests feels a lot like FFXII, except FFXV made sure to get the one part of its story you'd be spending a lot of time with (The PCs) actually interact in ways that were fun and cool and interesting instead of putting a few lines of dialogue in a cutscene hours apart and calling it a day. it has a lot of the same faults with writing 12 does, but much better gameplay and a cast that actually exists so it averages out to a solid little game which makes it better than half of the mainline FF games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Red Red Blue posted:

The port of 10 seems solid. 13 is pretty messed up, though

13 worked fine when I played it last year.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The FF13 port to PC won't play nice with windows controllers because they implemented a custom solution. It can still be made to work, its just every time a tutorial comes up (or you open the save menu) you have to slam buttons, shoulder triggers working best, in rapid succession to have the game refocus the controller to that window and then repeat when you close the window.

Its... dumb.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Attitude Indicator posted:

patching to fix broken poo poo is one thing, but just leaving out huge chunks of a game is another. plenty of games have supplemental material, but i don't anything comes close to squares dividing up of more or less central elements of the plot of ff15. there's a movie, a series, a phone game, patches and multiple dlc. little of it is necessary for the plot, but a lot of would have made the game noticably better as an end product had it been included.

It's a bad thing to do but we're also talking about a company that hasn't had stable development for a mainline FF game since loving 11.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would hope that the lessons learned during the FF14 development will be applied in future games. I kind of wish they would go ahead and license something like the Unreal Engine and stop trying to make custom tools like Crystal Tools. That game engine was a quagmire for their development team for years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingdom Hearts 3 is using Unreal 4 and that isn't helping it come out any faster

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Vargatron posted:

I would hope that the lessons learned during the FF14 development will be applied in future games. I kind of wish they would go ahead and license something like the Unreal Engine and stop trying to make custom tools like Crystal Tools. That game engine was a quagmire for their development team for years.

i always think of the sahaugin in lightning returns

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mega64 posted:

It's a bad thing to do but we're also talking about a company that hasn't had stable development for a mainline FF game since loving 11.

14 has had a stable development team since 2.0 and the world is blessed for it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

it has a lot of the same faults with writing 12 does, but much better gameplay and a cast that actually exists so it averages out to a solid little game which makes it better than all of the mainline FF games.

Fixed for accuracy. Lightning blown the gently caress out, reduced to selling her flower on the streets of Midgar for gil. Nomura last seen with his head on the chopping block in S-E HQ with a triumphant Yoshi-P and Tabata doing the Zoidberg in the background. Information forthcoming about noted video game franchise Kingdom Hearts being handed over to waifu worshipper Motomu Toriyama.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

Fixed for accuracy. Lightning blown the gently caress out, reduced to selling her flower on the streets of Midgar for gil. Nomura last seen with his head on the chopping block in S-E HQ with a triumphant Yoshi-P and Tabata doing the Zoidberg in the background. Information forthcoming about noted video game franchise Kingdom Hearts being handed over to waifu worshipper Motomu Toriyama.

too bad you're wrong

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ventana posted:

For a real response, I've always been of the mindset to just not buy games if they are clearly unfinished and in a bad state. If the company patches it later to make it a good game, buy it then. If they don't patch it, don't support them. If they want to release an unfinished game, let them suffer on the day 1 sales.

My umbrage isn't at the fact that they seek to patch the game after the fact; it's that in this case they have the gall to charge money for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All of the changes to the game are in free updates though apart from the three DLC episodes that were always going to be DLC.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't see your peer reviewed source for that claim, Sakurazuka-san. The game sucks, get over it and go back to playing Final Fantasy 13: Lightning Returns.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Vargatron posted:

They're using UE4 to make Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Final Fantasy 7 remake. It doesn't seem to be helping. A middleware engine can't fix structural problems with a company's development process.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

I actually forgot about this. I remember when the game launched if you complained about the story a lot of people would tell you it's your fault for not buying and watching the CGI movie and anime (which doesn't fix the actual issues)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I actually forgot about this. I remember when the game launched if you complained about the story a lot of people would tell you it's your fault for not buying and watching the CGI movie and anime (which doesn't fix the actual issues)

Just outsource your exposition into other media so you can jump right into the action! :masterstroke:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played straight through XV at launch, and already I have no memory of what the story was about.

I think one of the old Dr Whos killed my dad? There was a telepathic wolf, maybe?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Literally nobody did this and you're making stuff up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Even as a fan of the dumb movie, having scenes lazily inserted into the game in the day-one patch was insanely stupid.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gologle posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/28/13763158/final-fantasy-15-kingsglaive-movie-brotherhood-anime

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/74535516

https://www.giantbomb.com/final-fantasy-xv/3030-21006/forums/should-i-watch-kingsglaive-or-brotherhood-before-s-1805417/

Like the overwhelming majority of people were saying it's "mandatory" read it yourself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

Gologle you're forgetting that your gimmick posting can never be as dumb as actual real life FF fans.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its a good movie

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Feels bad that the last FF game I played was X-2. None of them have ever seemed interesting since.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is Lightning Returns available or soon to be available on the PS4?

This thread talks it up so I'd like to check it out, and since I played 13 and 13-2 anyways I might as well close out that trilogy at some point.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saying that the anime/kingsglaive are mandatory for understanding the story properly is not saying that 'it's your fault'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Raxivace posted:

Is Lightning Returns available or soon to be available on the PS4?

There are no known plans to put any of the XIII games on PS4.

e: There were rumours of a Lightning Trilogy for it but thus far that's been all there is about that.