Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

That's the official translation, what were you familiar with it being?

the fan translation that I remember was something like baron of explodo-kills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

That's the official translation, what were you familiar with it being?

Probably Baron Explodokill, which i'm still kinda partial towards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Horikoshi should just do a class B arc all about class B. Because the like 3 members of the class who have gotten consistent screentime whenever they show up are good and fun (Monoma is the best though).
I want to see more Poni.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I want to see more Poni.
Her costume includes stirrups and a harness.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

HenryEx posted:

Probably Baron Explodokill, which i'm still kinda partial towards.

I'd go with Tsar Bomba, personally.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

the fan translation that I remember was something like baron of explodo-kills

The nicknames he picks out are respectively 爆殺王 (explosion-murder-king) and 爆殺卿 (explosion-murder-lord).

The official translation went with the very literal King Explosion Murder, and Lord Explosion Murder.

The fan-translation went with the slightly funnier King of Explodo-Kills and Baron of Explodo-kills.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grouchio posted:

Her costume includes stirrups and a harness.

She was literally being ridden during the cavalry battle so

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Hey so I started reading up during the break because I don't have anything else to do right now. I'm not caught up fully (currently in the middle of the school trip) so I'm not reading anything in this thread and this is mostly an excuse for me to bookmark this thread for later when I am caught up. But lemme just say

Monoma is funny every time and I hope his shtick never gets old.

Update: I'm caught up. Some stray thoughts:
  • I thought I did a 180 on Bakugo during the Sports Festival while watching the anime, and I thought I started to see where he's coming from and like him. But now I really like him and I'm so glad his character has evolved past the one-note bully he was in the early stuff. Now I know why people in the anime thread were biting their tongue whenever someone had misgivings about Bakugo (and I was one of them).
  • Speaking of development, I always thought Kirishima was alright but mostly trying too hard, but now I really like him too. I'm rooting for him a lot!!
  • I thought I saw a very major spoiler in a google search a few days ago before I started reading and I tried hard to convince myself it was a joke headline or just wild speculation. And it turns out I was right, though it did keep me on the edge of my seat through scenes that were in retrospect completely benign. If you're wondering, it was something along the lines of accusing Jirou as the traitor. I guess it's time to join the speculation with everyone else, but also I don't think there are really any clues to go on so I guess I'll just wait and see.
  • Full Cowl and Shoot Style are very good anime fighting art names.
  • Monoma never stopped being funny.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 3, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Shoot style is an actual thing, not just some anime martial art.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Update: I'm caught up. Some stray thoughts:
  • I thought I did a 180 on Bakugo during the Sports Festival while watching the anime, and I thought I started to see where he's coming from and like him. But now I really like him and I'm so glad his character has evolved past the one-note bully he was in the early stuff. Now I know why people in the anime thread were biting their tongue whenever someone had misgivings about Bakugo (and I was one of them).
  • Speaking of development, I always thought Kirishima was alright but mostly trying too hard, but now I really like him too. I'm rooting for him a lot!!
  • I thought I saw a very major spoiler in a google search a few days ago before I started reading and I tried hard to convince myself it was a joke headline or just wild speculation. And it turns out I was right, though it did keep me on the edge of my seat through scenes that were in retrospect completely benign. If you're wondering, it was something along the lines of accusing Jirou as the traitor. I guess it's time to join the speculation with everyone else, but also I don't think there are really any clues to go on so I guess I'll just wait and see.
  • Full Cowl and Shoot Style are very good anime fighting art names.
  • Monoma never stopped being funny.

At this point everyone's been accused of being the traitor so any spoiler on the subject will inevitably come off as just another baseless theory.

Also, I think you mean Monoma will never stop being funny.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gyges posted:

Shoot style is an actual thing, not just some anime martial art.
Specifically, it's named after shoot boxing, a Japanese-invented spinoff of kickboxing/MMA.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

SyntheticPolygon posted:

At this point everyone's been accused of being the traitor so any spoiler on the subject will inevitably come off as just another baseless theory.

Also, I think you mean Monoma will never stop being funny.

Yeah, I was gonna ask for any prevailing theories re:traitor but since I was keeping my eyes peeled for any clues because I thought I possibly saw the answer on accident, and then didn't really come to any conclusions, I figured any predictions or theories would be more just guessing instead of informed speculation. It'll come up sooner or later, I'm fine waiting.

PMush Perfect posted:

Specifically, it's named after shoot boxing, a Japanese-invented spinoff of kickboxing/MMA.

Ah, fair enough!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Yeah, I was gonna ask for any prevailing theories re:traitor but since I was keeping my eyes peeled for any clues because I thought I possibly saw the answer on accident, and then didn't really come to any conclusions, I figured any predictions or theories would be more just guessing instead of informed speculation. It'll come up sooner or later, I'm fine waiting.
Actually here's the whole conspiracy argument on 4chan about Kaminari.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Kaminari certainly would be the easiest student to fudge into being super powerful if he turned out to be a villain.

The thing is wouldn't Kaminari have been able to inform the villains that his friends were going off to save Bakugo and about the tracking device stuff? He was there when they were talking to Midoriya in the hospital about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The thing is the big evidence towards Kaminari being evil isn't actually anything that is in the series.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The thing is the big evidence towards Kaminari being evil isn't actually anything that is in the series.

The big evidence is that there's no evidence against it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
And someone does need to be the traitor. So either the traitor's foreshadowing is even more buried and obtuse than Kaminari's or they haven't been foreshadowed to any meaningful extent.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

And someone does need to be the traitor. So either the traitor's foreshadowing is even more buried and obtuse than Kaminari's or they haven't been foreshadowed to any meaningful extent.

It's the latter.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
There's like 3 elements to the traitor that we know/can infer that narrow it down, but there is nothing any one way or another on who specifically it is.

1: We know a traitor must exist, because its been brought up too often to be a red herring. And it has to be someone in Class A, because at least one of the info leaks was Class A specific. So that narrows us down to less than 20 people.

2: We know it isn't anyone we've spent a ton of time with, because everyone who has had an arc centered on them has been super heroic. Tsuyu, Tokoyami, Kirishima, Todoroki, Iida, Momo, Uraraka, Bakugou. It would be completely out of character for pretty much any of them, who are earnestly trying their best to be heroes in an obvious and serious way. It miiiiiiiight be Tsuyu or Tokoyami, we haven't had their heroic motivations spelled out yet, but c'mon. There's no way.

3: We can assume the traitor is someone people like and not a complete nobody, because that way it will have impact. We've spent a fair bit of time with most of the class, but some characters pop up more than others. It's almost certainly not Shoji or Koda or Ojiro, because it wouldn't have any impact for any of them to be the traitor. While we've spent a bit of time with Mineta, it's almost definitely not him because that wouldn't be shocking. It'd be cathartic to have him be a bad guy we can remove from the class. I would love that, which means its almost definitely Not Him because the traitor reveal should be a big deal, not a joke.

Of the characters who show up a bunch but haven't had a lot to show for it, its pretty much just Kaminari, Jirou, Aoyama, Mina, and Hagakure.

Of that candidate list, its probably not Aoyama or Mina, because Mina's too happy and popular and fun, and Aoyama's like, only non-joke moment was saving someone's life during the villain assault, which is a Pretty Big Deal. He might still be the mole, who just didn't want to see a friend die, that's still very possible. But that shot in the dark is a pretty big "probably not Aoyama" moment. Hagakure has the bonus points of being invisible, making a subterfuge angle to her character very easy to imagine, but there isn't any hard evidence for anyone.

The traitor arc probably isn't getting resolved any time soon. There's gotta be foreshadowing first, and the only foreshadowing so far is "they exist."

TL;DR: It can only be a small subset of Class A who is the traitor, so people are going to make theories for every possible candidate, but none of them have any strong evidence for or against them yet. Its all guesswork.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I personally would be heavily impacted by Shoji being the traitor. Less so with Ojiro because maybe it would mean he'd get to do something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Having Hagakure be the traitor and turn off her invisibility at the point of the reveal would make for some good poo poo

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Meanwhile, I ride in on the dramatic premise that the traitor will break everybody's hearts, piss half the fandom off, and make people want to drop this series. Which brings Tsuyu and Tokoyami back into play, and possibly even (extreme dark horse candidate) Uraraka playing some sort of honeypot gambit.

There's also the way-out-of-left-field option that it's Dark Shadow operating independently at night while Tokoyami sleeps.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't wait for the Dark Froppy reveal

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Sero's so plain he doesn't even get mentioned, huh?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm going with theory that it's a mind reading quirk in play and the whole traitor thing is just paranoia/lack of thinking outside the box.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its dekumom obsessively updating her blog about him and nobody has noticed except the villains

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Iida can still move the fingers on his hosed up hand, he just has trouble doing so, iirc.

He has enough trouble that he's done all his chopping gestures with one hand instead of two hands since then.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
"Ha ha, it's not anyone at all!" and it being "Literally who?" would be really weak.

I'm almost certain it's someone in Class 1-A or 1-B (including faculty directly connected to them), because if Shinsou is getting transferred into heroics (which it looks like may be the case) there needs to be an opening for him in either class. Yeah, they could just have 21 students in a class, but someone leaving for him to make an opening would make sense.

And the dude with the brainwashing quirk being the one to catch the traitor would be a cool twist.

I hope it's someone who really hurts- because it'd be interesting to see the fallout. Hori kinda keeps loving with us because everyone who has the ability and isn't clearly a main cast member keeps getting personal arcs, or alibis, or their inner monologues shown. i.e. It turns out Aoyama is just kind of a coward, we hear Kaminari's inner monologue during the license exam and he defends Bakugou/Kirishima's honor while being happy he can avoid hurting his friends now, etc

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jose posted:

i'm rereading it and idk if its official scans or waht but bakugo's hero name is King explosion murder in this version

IIRC the official translation is "Lord Explosion Murder" but all the fan translations for the manga and anime use "King Explosion Murder."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I dunno, Mineta suddenly dropping the creep act and revealing that he's actually competent and not at all a total fool would be somewhat heart breaking.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
As far as conspiracy theories go, I like the Kirishima Theory. I don't think I actually buy it, but it looks like the kind of thing where if it turned out to be true I'd go "Yeah, fair enough."

...Plus I'd kill for the eventual Bakugou vs Kirishima "search your feelings bro" fight.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
EDIT: ^^^ It being Kirishima would certainly explain why the villain alliance wasn't told about the kids going to rescue Bakugou though. Hagakure and Jirou were also knocked out at that time so they didn't know about it.

Yeah I don't see how it can be anyone but Kaminari, Hagakure, or Aoyama. Whoever it is I hope it's done well and isn't another Sasuke.

[/quote]And the dude with the brainwashing quirk being the one to catch the traitor would be a cool twist.[/quote]

Yeah a while back there was a page shown of Shinsou walking and talking with Aizawa, and then another of Deku passing him in the hall and it appearing that Shinsou had bulked up(aka he's training).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 3, 2017

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Kirishima is a wonderful boy and that is slanderous drivel.

A bro fight would be cool though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hopeford posted:

As far as conspiracy theories go, I like the Kirishima Theory. I don't think I actually buy it, but it looks like the kind of thing where if it turned out to be true I'd go "Yeah, fair enough."

...Plus I'd kill for the eventual Bakugou vs Kirishima "search your feelings bro" fight.

I don't really know why this would end up in a fight since the crux of that theory seems to be Kirishima isn't an intentional spy.

E: That theory is more interesting than "Well he wasn't in this scene so surely he was up to something!" though.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 3, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hopeford posted:

At first I was really annoyed that anyone would dare insinuate that Kirishima is the traitor after his incredible broment at the Bakugou Rescue sequence, but then I actually read the thing and I am 100% on board. I would so rather have this than any of the 1-A students being the traitor, and it'd be good payoff for a lot of that Kirishima foreshadowing I didn't even notice.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm honestly kind of thinking that either A: it's the principal or B: there isn't actually a traitor and they've just psyched themselves up believing that there is so there must be

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh yeah the principal was one I was suspicious of too, mostly just because of when he tried to delay All Might from going to the rescue training. That would mean he's a traitor that doesn't want All Might to die for whatever reason though.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Fabricated posted:

"Ha ha, it's not anyone at all!" and it being "Literally who?" would be really weak.

I'm almost certain it's someone in Class 1-A or 1-B (including faculty directly connected to them), because if Shinsou is getting transferred into heroics (which it looks like may be the case) there needs to be an opening for him in either class. Yeah, they could just have 21 students in a class, but someone leaving for him to make an opening would make sense.

And the dude with the brainwashing quirk being the one to catch the traitor would be a cool twist.

I hope it's someone who really hurts- because it'd be interesting to see the fallout. Hori kinda keeps loving with us because everyone who has the ability and isn't clearly a main cast member keeps getting personal arcs, or alibis, or their inner monologues shown. i.e. It turns out Aoyama is just kind of a coward, we hear Kaminari's inner monologue during the license exam and he defends Bakugou/Kirishima's honor while being happy he can avoid hurting his friends now, etc

Speaking if Shinsou, while it's pretty ethically abhorrent it'd be interesting if UA went to Shinsou and had him brainwash everyone who could be a suspect and tell them to write down if they're the traitor or not.

Like a more invasive Lasso of Truth situation.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How the hell did the Principal get his scar anyway? What does he even do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hopeford posted:

Very pro-click