Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
What counts against your schematic limit? Does decorations or structural stuff count like containers, panels, those bent bar things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

LegionAreI posted:

What counts against your schematic limit? Does decorations or structural stuff count like containers, panels, those bent bar things?

Everything that is a schematic is a schematic. Deco included.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I am surprised by the forums' lack of anti- "name n shame" rules.

the forums are amazingly bad on the posting, architecture, and moderating levels

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Man I can't get over how good the basic loop feels of crafting ships and exploring neat islands is. This game is basically a screenshot factory with some of the particularly well crafted islands and they really nail the fun of a grappling hook. I don't really interact with players and despite 44 hours of gameplay I still can't really breach the more difficult walls, but there's something very therapeutic about the exploration in this game that's kind of hard to place my finger on. Despite the jank and the relative lightness of the game (Part and parcel of a sandbox MMO is making your own fun) I can really see this game shaping up to be something special.

Of course they might poo poo the bed in the long run, but I've definitely got my money's worth and I've not even engaged with TSA stuff yet.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I need a Jolly Roger flag to hoist when I assault the nooblands.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The forums are poo poo, but when someone comes up and cries about PvP they seem to get shouted down pretty quick.

Hope they come up with a good balance for boarding because even though I have only been on the receiving end of it while flying solo on US West it adds a lot to the game. They could do something with the ability to respawn right back on your ship after dying. Should be some consequence for skydiving boarding a ship on a suicide mission. Right now the only penalty is having to wait 10 seconds since everything you take with you will be on your belt.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Two of my latest T1/2 ship designs:

I called this one a "Cargo Barge" in the schematics but after installing my Atlas Core + Generator addon and the fuel supply there was hardly any room for containers of any description :v: Looked good, interior large enough to walk around, immediately died in a wind wall because, surprise surprise, two engines on a giant iron ship isn't enough power to do anything with. Felt pretty nice to fly around in though, the relative slowness made it feel like a long haul vehicle.

A little one-person skiff with all the components tucked neatly underneath the hull. Moves fast, handles well, room enough for an extra engine and some more wings later on. Only real downside is that the wing on the underside makes flying low to islands a complete bastard.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Before I get too into this, I'm a little unsure from reading back, are we primarily on US east or US west? Also, I sincerely hope we will eventually be able to make multiple characters, one for each server.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I'm on US East

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The main goon group is on east. Hopefully after the inevitable wipe everyone will move to US West since east is unplayable for for Aussie/Japan Asia region.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Destroyed about 20 ships tonight. Easy piracy.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Okay follow up question: is there any easy way to group up with people/alliance members in game?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tollymain posted:

the forums are amazingly bad on the posting, architecture, and moderating levels

now, imagine about sixty threads of this

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at first i thought that screencap was from the time i saw that happen the other day

but no thats a completely different instance hahaha

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Ingame on US East as ElBrak and as ElBrak on the discord.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/tsa-press-release-tsa-repossession-and-acquisition-group/

Please don't ever stop. The actual google form is just perfect.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Has anyone actually ever requested a flight pass?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Who is Fiffin?

forge
Feb 26, 2006
J**k**d

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
RIP the great Black Skies. Many a boat was plundered thanks to ye many cannons.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

This wing is dumb and the people who designed it should feel dumb.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

xanif posted:

Yeah, the lack of proper right/left/bottom wings is rather anoying. How much effort would it have taken to mirror each design and add a flat one for verticals?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

xanif posted:

Delete that schematic. It's very existence is griefing.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FileNotFound posted:

Delete that schematic. It's very existence is griefing.

Well if you hate it I like it now.

Besides...

Blast walk like an egyptian on spotify and own it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
What is the best way to solo the storm wall. Has a nice ship build with the first 2 core enhancements with core, engines and generator all inside the hull surrounded by wood walls and my core still got nuked.

Also guessing a compass might help if I ever find the bloddy schematic

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Use metal plates and have a bunch of extraneous random stuff on the outside of your ship to absorb hits.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Made it through a windwall and landed for supplies with no damage taken whatsoever. Learned an upgraded wing but decided for now to just reposition the existing rudders to see if I can get it to steer better. Landed partly under a respawn tower and got to work (bad idea).

Slowly began to take off after exploring the island, nudging the engines to slide out from beneath the tower. Unfortunately lag hits...

Left wing clips tower, ship pitches. Ground rushes up so I yank back on the yoke and floor the engines. Yeah, those respositioned rudders? They snag on what I believe was the shipyard. They snap off but not before causing my helm to smash into the ground and I lose access to the helm due to damage, albeit still roped to the frame. Engines still picking up speed. Bounced off a couple other things and found myself looking at the increasingly receding island. I clench my sphincter and take a running leap, slamming into the wall of the island.

Climbed up to witness a beautiful sunset backlighting a little unmanned ship steaming toward a storm wall with 3 mantas chasing it. What can you do? :shrug:

I like to think that little dinghy is still sailing happily along in the afterlife. Was a good boat. Guess I will be utilizing those new wings now.

On a different subject, do clothes make any difference beyond aesthetics? I have ones that claim to protect against: critters, wind, the elements, and "mechanics"?

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

xanif posted:

Can't you just rotate it while attaching it (Z IIRC)?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

seiken posted:

Can't you just rotate it while attaching it (Z IIRC)?

Rotating it changes the direction of the flaps. There needs to be a mirror option.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Fog Tripper posted:

On a different subject, do clothes make any difference beyond aesthetics? I have ones that claim to protect against: critters, wind, the elements, and "mechanics"?

I don't think so? It would be the first I've heard of it. Post a screeny of your character equip menu showing you wearing it and with the tooltip for the clothes open?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Weren't spawn rates for the compass/instruments supposed to be increased? Been running around the T2 area for days and opened a stupid number of chests and still haven't found one.

Don't want to lose a third ship running the storm wall without one.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Raged posted:

Weren't spawn rates for the compass/instruments supposed to be increased? Been running around the T2 area for days and opened a stupid number of chests and still haven't found one.

Don't want to lose a third ship running the storm wall without one.

I don't think they made them more common, they just moved them to a lower tier's loot table.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Cheap Shot posted:

I don't think they made them more common, they just moved them to a lower tier's loot table.

Any tips getting through the storm wall without a compass?

I have a big all iron exterior ship with lead casing for all 4 tier 3 engines, generator and core.
Sadly the 4 wings are wood because even the one tier 3 wing schematic I have only has wood casing and I am pretty sure I have every diary entry and knowledge tube in the available zones.Comes in at 1798. Think I need to lighten it to add more wings it turns like a beast.

Would it be easier to do the sand wall solo instead? There is one available.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raged posted:

I have a big all iron exterior ship with lead casing for all 4 tier 3 engines, generator and core.
Sadly the 4 wings are wood because even the one tier 3 wing schematic I have only has wood casing and I am pretty sure I have every diary entry and knowledge tube in the available zones.Comes in at 1798. Think I need to lighten it to add more wings it turns like a beast.

Sandwalls are easier in my opinion. It slowly damages every engine and wing on the ship instead of the lightning randomly deciding to strike your core 4 times in a row. Just don't use plans that skimp on base durability and use something for the casing that boosts that durability like lead or nickel. It's much easier to keep on top of things when you know exactly what's being damaged.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Raged posted:

Get the highest power engines you're able to, and put them inside the ships hull. Have one or two people repairing nonstop, preferably one dedicated to below decks repairing core + engines and bottom decking. Put the best pilot on the helm, and have them use the wind ribbon to navigate. Take note of the direction of the wind and position of the ribbon as you enter the storm wall and make corrections constantly to keep the ribbon in the same position as when you entered. Wind direction doesn't change inside walls yet. I suspect adding stuff to your ship like bar pipes and fins will soak up a lot of the lightening but that's unconfirmed.

That's what worked for me anyway (I was on helm). Made it through completely intact first try.
Did an inspection of the ship on the other side. Our shark fin wing took a beating and seemed to draw a lot of the lightening (could have just been weird RNG)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I hope ElBrak on US East isn't one of you because if so I am so sorry about what I did to your ship

I saw it floating in the sky way above an island I was going to explore and decided to check it out. If anyone was there I was just gonna say hi and move on (and hope they didn't kill me) but if it was a derelict I thought I'd do the right thing and just scrap & sink it to pad my pockets and lighten the server load a little. Got up there, nobody was around, engines were sparking but all good. Figured maybe someone made an impressive ship and then forgot to tie themselves to the personal spawner - it happens. Gave it a moment to check out the cargo, nothing really worthwhile despite about 4 containers so I was feeling good that it was just a forgotten ship.

By the time I had finished with the second screenshot I had popped the structural panel off the back of the ship and was going to salvage the Atlas core to sink the ship... and then a smaller boat came roaring in. It had to be the person who owned the vessel, surely.

Oh gently caress.

Angled my skiff down and full throttled it out of there. I pitched it until it pointed all the way to the ground when suddenly I lost control of the helm. Oh no.

Yep, there it was, the dude had tethered to my ship. He didn't say a word but I couldn't regain control of the helm and was grappling onto the boat for my life, all the while as it roared into the lower atmosphere dangerously towards the death zone. I tried to shoot him a few times but I couldn't aim straight.

This dude would just not let go and I died a few times by my tether breaking and occasionally just keeling over dead out of nowhere - maybe he was shooting me, I couldn't tell. I thought I was gonna lose the skiff and all the materials from the boat and we'd have both gotten screwed over for nothing... when suddenly my engines cut out entirely.

I had forgotten to fuel them.

A few meters from the kill zone - the dude had bailed by this point - and my engines died because I was too stupid to check their fuel level.

Holy poo poo I was elated. I have no real attachment to this ship but I wasn't ready to lose it just yet, not in that way. Grabbed my emergency fuel from the box, filled the tank and soared all the way to freedom again. Not today, old chum.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 3, 2017

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Good job attacking a goon. You might know if you were in discord.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh god no

If Elbrak wants the materials back and to break my ship down for whatever it's worth then hit me up

I am so sorry

E: Lurking in the Discord now so this won't happen again. I was holding off until I could pass a stormwall. IGN is same as user.

E2: Apparently this is all a huge misunderstanding and the truth is even stupider than I thought

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 3, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Wait, we aren't SUPPOSED to kill each other? :thunk:

This changes everything... to perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
That ship looks awfully like one I chased before crash landing onto an island. I'm a pirate not a privateer.