Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I can't recall a driver pairing that was more cool than Alonso and Button.

Until we get Kimi and Bottas anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

djssniper posted:

Nico did the classic, I scored the last goal, my ball, I'm going home, only as good as your last game, you'll never beat me again, all wrapped up in a nice bow

I can kind of see that, but also he must've known deep down that if it didn't happen at Mercedes it was never gonna happen. So by winning one out of three years in a dominant car you kind of take your winnings and cash out. I don't respect Nico any less because of it.

I do think our lovely narrative that he broke Lewis and it was all deliberate is great though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

Until we get Kimi and Bottas anyway.

What

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

I can kind of see that, but also he must've known deep down that if it didn't happen at Mercedes it was never gonna happen. So by winning one out of three years in a dominant car you kind of take your winnings and cash out. I don't respect Nico any less because of it.

I do think our lovely narrative that he broke Lewis and it was all deliberate is great though.

Yeah, I think if he didn't pull it off, Lewis would probably be next to impossible to beat the next year because he'd know he'd have actual competition for once.

I don't think he expected Ferrari to finally figure their poo poo out this year.

Well, icy cold Finns? :dadjoke:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I try not to kink shame so I'll keep quiet

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Pironi and Villeneuve.

Well... up to the last 2 races anyway

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Xisticide posted:

Pironi and Villeneuve.

Well... up to the last 2 races anyway

Touch the Sky - Kanye West

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Actually anything involving Are Jimmy, Are Jackie and Are Graham is rad as gently caress.

Are Graham dragging Lotus to glory after Are Jimmy's death is probably one of the most heroic acts F1 has seen after David Purley trying to rescue Roger Williamson and ahead of Nando dragging that loving Ferrari to within points of the 2012 WDC.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

Maybe Berger and Alesi?

It was a good pairing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
F1 2017: Honda honouring Jo Schlesser with their engines

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

And here I was thinking they were honoring GG Allin

Autech
Jun 6, 2008

The Brazilian Legkick Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aacO0BUXjU

Whilst we are beating the Hamilton drum, some of his poo poo starts tend to get overlooked by his fanclub too while claiming that Nico won due to reliability etc.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nico did win because of reliability, which is a perfectly fine way to win

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
Hamilton lost the championship last year in the first five or so races due to his poo poo starts. While Nico was learning how to launch the new clutch, Lewis was hanging out with Bieber.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Actually no he didnt if you think about it. He won, in my opinion, a well deserved championship, and wether he was as talented or not as Lewis, he drat well worked hard for it. Infact he worked twice as hard for it overall on and off the track.
So when he won the championship, his dreams, his hopes all he has worked for, did he get a congratulations from his team mate who he has raced with since being children? No he did not. All he got was smack talk from Lewis who could not be gracious to him in defeat. In all fairness I think Rosberg wanted that approval, that mutual respect but instead he saw Lewis foe what he deep down really is. A selfish, petulant, self absorbed and childish human being.
Rosberg then did the best he ever could do. Retire and give Lewis the biggest gently caress you possible, because he knows Lewis will chew on that for all his days.

I couldn't put this into words better - thanks for summarizing exactly what I think about the entire situation.

1500quidporsche posted:

lmbo at least we lived to see that happen, no pairing will ever be better.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 3, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Theophany posted:

Colour helps, but they just look so utterly gorgeous. You'd have to be demented to race them at 10 10ths.
I dunno what you're on about there unless you mean the old rear end 1960s ones. Almost all Can-Am cars were hideous. The beautiful thing was the motors. Like an 8 liter V8 revving to 9000 on a road course. That's amazing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can see why he said "gently caress it I'm done" when you look at it through the context of him comprehensively beating Schumacher in the same car over several years, outqualifying Lewis one year and then beating him to the championship and all the while the British media acted like he was still a paper champion. There comes a point where you just have to say to yourself "What exactly are you trying to prove to these people, you've done it and they're just pissed that you did."

I still think he would've been significantly better after winning the WDC and not driving so conservatively and constantly thinking about the championship.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno what you're on about there unless you mean the old rear end 1960s ones. Almost all Can-Am cars were hideous. The beautiful thing was the motors. Like an 8 liter V8 revving to 9000 on a road course. That's amazing.

NASCAR has 5.9L V8s that has the rev limiter set to 9.5 grand. They won't hit it though on the road courses (though it lead to hilarity this year with Junior blew up two engines by missing a shift into 4th and put it into 2nd by mistake at Pocono). The GTE Corvettes also a pretty loud, too, with a 5.5L V8 that well, is pure sex in terms of sound.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

Truly, the best of times.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Autech posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aacO0BUXjU

Whilst we are beating the Hamilton drum, some of his poo poo starts tend to get overlooked by his fanclub too while claiming that Nico won due to reliability etc.

Lewis def went to the mark Webber school of starts and like maybe if he learned how to start the loving race the reliability wouldn't of mattered.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Was Webber always a poo poo starter? I remember reading that they had to make some design compromises in Webber's Red Bull days to his car, particularly in relation to the KERS system (but not exclusively that) because he was much bigger than Vettel, which at least partly might explain his starting problems and a handful of mechanical failures that Vettel was less susceptible to.

How was he pre red bull?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Carth Dookie posted:

Was Webber always a poo poo starter? I remember reading that they had to make some design compromises in Webber's Red Bull days to his car, particularly in relation to the KERS system (but not exclusively that) because he was much bigger than Vettel, which at least partly might explain his starting problems and a handful of mechanical failures that Vettel was less susceptible to.

How was he pre red bull?

He qualified 2nd at Malaysia in the Jag in '04 and bogged it at the start.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The McLaren M8s were gorgeous, as was the Porsche 917 :colbert:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Finally caught up to WELL DONE BAKU and wanted to take a moment to congratulate Fraudnando for keeping his car-destroying petulance in check long enough to actually finish a race and even score a couple of points. He will be competing with Stroll and the other professionals in no time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

I guess someone has forgotten the awesome pairing of Nigel Mansell and Mark Blundell.

I try to.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Stickarts posted:

Finally caught up to WELL DONE BAKU and wanted to take a moment to congratulate Fraudnando for keeping his car-destroying petulance in check long enough to actually finish a race and even score a couple of points. He will be competing with Stroll and the other professionals in no time.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Another McLaren went up in flames yesterday. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-40476901

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

You Am I posted:

I guess someone has forgotten the awesome pairing of Nigel Mansell and Mark Blundell.

I try to.

For crying out loud, it's Monday morning - why would you do that to us? I was full of optimism for the week ahead

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Actually no he didnt if you think about it. He won, in my opinion, a well deserved championship, and wether he was as talented or not as Lewis, he drat well worked hard for it. Infact he worked twice as hard for it overall on and off the track.
So when he won the championship, his dreams, his hopes all he has worked for, did he get a congratulations from his team mate who he has raced with since being children? No he did not. All he got was smack talk from Lewis who could not be gracious to him in defeat. In all fairness I think Rosberg wanted that approval, that mutual respect but instead he saw Lewis foe what he deep down really is. A selfish, petulant, self absorbed and childish human being.
Rosberg then did the best he ever could do. Retire and give Lewis the biggest gently caress you possible, because he knows Lewis will chew on that for all his days.

I think you misunderstood, I loving love that he did that

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

NASCAR has 5.9L V8s that has the rev limiter set to 9.5 grand. They won't hit it though on the road courses (though it lead to hilarity this year with Junior blew up two engines by missing a shift into 4th and put it into 2nd by mistake at Pocono). The GTE Corvettes also a pretty loud, too, with a 5.5L V8 that well, is pure sex in terms of sound.

All of the GT2/GTE Corvettes sound like wonderful American thunder :911: a few other GT cars are close, especially the Mercedes and Lexus GT3s.

I still kind of miss the early 1990s F1 days when there was diversity of V8, V10 and V12 engines.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Schlesische posted:

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is somehow Honda's fault :argh:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I remember when some douchebag journalist asked Kimi if he deserved his 2007 WDC by winning it like that, by McLarens royally loving up the last race. Kimi more or less replied "WTF I had most points after the last race, of course I deserved it".

Same with Nico.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Happy birthday to my friend Seb Vettel from Scuderia Ferrari.

https://twitter.com/UPS/status/881799858411061248

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 3, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

Happy birthday to my friend Seb Vettel from Scuderia Ferrari.

https://twitter.com/UPS/status/881799858411061248

Have a beer for our Super Seb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta1mTNHNt6g

Although it may be to drown sorrows depending on how the FIA meeting goes today. :ohdear:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Happy bday Seb, hope it's your last!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there will be a live timing of the FIA circus today or not?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Vettel will get a one race suspension and he'll still win the WDC because the ball don't lie.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Maybe I'm :thejoke:ing this but that's exactly how Keke won too. He won exactly one GP that season but finished high consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Antti posted:

finished high consistently.

The best type of racer

• Locked thread