Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

I think this is a sign the writer is extremely out of touch. What would Dustin even want his dad's phone on the date FOR?

so he can read the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

:confused:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

the simple explanation is that "not doing anything exciting" = "sounds like fun"

the longer explanation that surely the writer didn't put this much thought into is about social isolation and it being better to spend any time with anyone rather than be alone. idk you see what I am getting at here

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

The only thing that made this plot twist surprising is the fact that someone could write such a hackneyed, obvious plot twist and willingly submit it for publication.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

what

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Old Dick Tracy is so good!

Arlo and Janis

GoComics' commentariat idiocy isn't limited to Luann:

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 7, 1995)

Garfield Classic (July 7, 1985)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of the rare Garfield strips where if you shop out the cat Jon seems less completely insane.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Goddamnit I'll admit, I actually laughed at that Garfield (specifically the last frame).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Moomin on the Riviera (Page 2)

I'll try to do these one a day, but I'll miss days for holidays or weekends or whatever here and there.

If there's interest, when I'm done with the two stories I already have saved, I have all 10 books that have been released (unless they just came out with a couple other ones) so I can do other stories too. Even though I own all the books and a couple of the movies, I still miss Moomin in the thread :3

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

It's not the characters' fault that there are no .jpgs of them holding a drink that the artist could paste in. Have some sympathy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Dick Tracy fakes children's deaths and investigates mail-order coffee.

I love Coffyhead's "See? See?" smile in the last panel.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Floating Hat

Is she trying to say "microfiche" or "microfish"?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Mandrake

Why alone? (they are planning to have sex)

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
So I started reading this thread like a year or two ago and it got me so weirdly invested in these strange characters that I ended up writing about it. Kind of like a primer for the weird poo poo that goes down in some of these comics.

https://literallytheworstblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/the-incredible-insanity-that-is-newspaper-comics/

I don't get anything out of that website, no ad money or anything, I just wanted to share with you guys since you roped me into this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My interpretation is that the author is a miserable gently caress with no joy in his life, and doesn't realize that 'everyone acts lovely to each other and no one has fun' is not the norm.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I gackfukkgreeehhhhaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHH

WE GET IT BEACH BOYS WAS THE BEST THING TO EVER GRACE THE EARTH SINCE CHRIST WALKED THE EARTH WILL YOU MOVE THE gently caress ON ALREADY.

Sorry, I really needed to get that out. Won't somebody please direct me to Ballard St, I would really like to see some ancient weirdos that are actually funny.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

BigglesSWE posted:

WE GET IT BEACH BOYS WAS THE BEST THING TO EVER GRACE THE EARTH SINCE CHRIST WALKED THE EARTH WILL YOU MOVE THE gently caress ON ALREADY.

Sorry, I really needed to get that out. Won't somebody please direct me to Ballard St, I would really like to see some ancient cooks that are actually funny.

Nancy is just as bad as the other "pop culture references" like Working Daze and/or that lovely big bang theory show, except that the pop culture is pop culture that nobody of the character's ages should give two shits about, and somehow they're even more obsessed with it than the modern pop cultural ones. Like when whats his face is spaced out because he's thinking about the beatles, beach boys, and Roy Orbison or whatever the gently caress for no god drat reason whatsoever. Who the gently caress does that? It's poo poo like that combined with the hackneyed tributes that make Nancy (not Bushmiller's) the Worst Comic in the Thread.

Keep posting it, of course. :justpost:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Modern Nancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9hMe1R8eYw

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Gil is not a fan of the exciting world of science.

Heathcliff The Babe Ruth Story

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Zippy

Ripley's

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Coffyhead drinks coffee so much because it's how he takes his heroin? Am I reading that right?

Selachian posted:

Edge of Floating Hat

That first panel is supposed to be Sam.

UWBW posted:

So I started reading this thread like a year or two ago and it got me so weirdly invested in these strange characters that I ended up writing about it. Kind of like a primer for the weird poo poo that goes down in some of these comics.

https://literallytheworstblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/the-incredible-insanity-that-is-newspaper-comics/

I don't get anything out of that website, no ad money or anything, I just wanted to share with you guys since you roped me into this.
That's pretty good. You only barely touched the surface of the insanity. Also, just for the record, Devil is not a dog. He's a wolf.

F Minus

Previously...on Mark Trail!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Kinky.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Johnny Walker posted:

Coffyhead drinks coffee so much because it's how he takes his heroin? Am I reading that right?

He drank 5 whole marijuanas!

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Johnny Walker posted:

That's pretty good. You only barely touched the surface of the insanity. Also, just for the record, Devil is not a dog. He's a wolf.

Fixed! Thank you, I totally forgot that.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Yep, a dog's face melting on the funny pages.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Johnny Walker posted:

That first panel is supposed to be Sam.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

UWBW posted:

You neglected to mention that the Phantom's ring is forged from the nails used to nail Jesus to the cross. Fantastic blog post!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams (click for huge)

And He Did. (October, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (October, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (October, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (September, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (March, 1941)

Archie (March, 1956, click for big)

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1974, click for big)

Andy Capp (December, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (January, 1972, click for big)

Dick Tracy (October, 2001, click for big)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fritzi's face in the first panel is the same one she makes when having sex.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2001 Fedoraman

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I could have sworn that was going to be an "And he died" classic.

Also, that child is called vermin?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

I could have sworn that was going to be an "And he died" classic.

Also, that child is called vermin?

Hatlo likes to give his characters wacky names like Seidlitz or Iodine, so Vermin should fit right in.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

BigglesSWE posted:

Sorry, I really needed to get that out. Won't somebody please direct me to Ballard St, I would really like to see some ancient weirdos that are actually funny.

The Beach Boys were monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnsIe4cXfY

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

I blame Murry Wilson.

Skippy (May 5, 1930)

Peanuts (July 6, 1970)

So nobody's plugging the Sally Forth gap yet? Okay, then...

Funky This-Somehow-Matches-The-Rhythm-Of-A-Jokebean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 19-21, 1931)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Darthemed posted:

Dick Tracy fakes children's deaths and investigates mail-order coffee.

Hmmm...Average human gestation period is 280 days, Baby Sparkle is 80 days... Okay, Gould - I guess the math works out: no sexual immorality.

Now go draw us some more nice wholesome explicit gunshots to people's heads!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ted knows what the quality kaiju is.

The Classic Dinette Set knows good cinema.

Working Daze needs to learn that references aren't jokes.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a long, arduous process.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

It's amazing how jet-lag from that last minute flight has affected Ghulk's memory of that day.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

UWBW posted:

I enjoy newspaper comics and I enjoy this post about newspaper comics.

And now, as thanks, here's some garbage:

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff The Babe Ruth Story

i've really become a big Heathcliff fan - the art and the surreal-ness of it, and this one tickles me in some way that i can't put my finger on. is it the drawing? the cuteness? the hot dogs on the 4th of july? the kind of like popeye and spinach but hot dogs? I don't know, but there's something this one has that 90% of the comics don't.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Walker posted:

And since Manuel Calavera is not posting for a few days and it's right when Tina's Groove is ending, I thought I'd go ahead and post those.

Hey, I've been on vacation like I said! Thanks though <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

• Locked thread