Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Max Wilco posted:

I was planning on picking up Persona 5, but now I'm wondering if I should get the Crash Trilogy instead.

A wise life decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Max Wilco posted:

The thing about the CODWW2 diversity topic that confuses me is that when it was first revealed, Polygon wrote an article slamming the game's diversity claim for being phoned in. Then I saw that excerpt from their most recent article about the multiplayer, where the writer seems shocked about what he's experienced.

Games journalism is pretty awful though, so this isn't too surprising. Demanding the games industry become more diverse and inclusive, but then making GBS threads on every attempt with inconsistent back patting. Unfortunately Gamergate's bollocks has become a pretty handy defense against criticism. I think I saw an almost over-night turn from "games journalism is awful" to "you think it's awful? concerned with ethics in games journalism are you :smug:", which was pretty hysterical.

Regardless of any internet slap fights though, it's good companies have been waking up to this kind of thing and are becoming more diverse over time. I was pretty surprised at how nonchalant Ubisoft games were about having gay and transgender characters - it's great stuff I'm glad they're starting to normalize, rather than using as a marketing point (looking at you Bioware...).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Can we please stop shining spotlights on micropenises or making such stupid statements that someone wanting to have fun in a videogame is the reason Trump won???? I mean, good grief.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My sister was playing crash bandicoot 1 over the weekend and it was so much fun watching her waste all the lives to just get a little bit further in. she has gotten so many mercy masks and checkpoints.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So how well done is the Crash remakes? Any control or framerate issues or any major issues like that?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Its exceptionally well done, Crash feels a tad slower and more floaty than he did in 96 which makes the game feel more difficult. It was only a massive problem for me in the cliff levels with the rope bridges but I've heard other people say the vehicle sections in crash 3 are loose controlling.

Game looks gorgeous though and appears to have sold a ton given its out of stock on Amazon UK and is 20 quid more expensive than when I preordered a couple of months ago.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It is amazing. Crash 1 is still unforgivably difficult. Some platform sections require perfectly timed jumps. They added some QOL stuff like autosaves. And yeah as it was said earlier. Game looks absolutely gorgeous.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Can we please stop shining spotlights on micropenises or making such stupid statements that someone wanting to have fun in a videogame is the reason Trump won???? I mean, good grief.

Let's hysterically overreact to anyone who isn't enthusiastic about liberal politicization of video games, that will help prevent a second Trump term

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Macarius Wrench posted:

Its exceptionally well done, Crash feels a tad slower and more floaty than he did in 96 which makes the game feel more difficult. It was only a massive problem for me in the cliff levels with the rope bridges but I've heard other people say the vehicle sections in crash 3 are loose controlling.

Game looks gorgeous though and appears to have sold a ton given its out of stock on Amazon UK and is 20 quid more expensive than when I preordered a couple of months ago.

It's the best selling single SKU in UK for the year. It's also out of stock on Amazon US. Crash was Super Mario for a lot of people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why does Crash spin around to attack? Is that something bandicoots do? Are bandicoots related to Tasmanian devils?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zerilan posted:

So how well done is the Crash remakes? Any control or framerate issues or any major issues like that?

The only outright-bad thing about the remaster is there are some very dodgy load times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why does Crash spin around to attack? Is that something bandicoots do? Are bandicoots related to Tasmanian devils?

As genuinely odd/horrifying as Australian mammal life tends to be, no.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I had the exact same baffling realization that bandicoots are real creatures roughly 2 years after having the same experience with echidnas. Videogames golden age I tell ye.

Also what's an SKU?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stock keeping unit. Basically the box on the shelf.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Buccaneer posted:

Let's hysterically overreact to anyone who isn't enthusiastic about liberal politicization of video games, that will help prevent a second Trump term

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Stock keeping unit. Basically the box on the shelf.

Never heard this term before but its great to see its selling so well, not a massive surprise though a couple of people in the office who otherwise don't speak about videogames have mentioned buying it. Nostalgia is a powerful drug (take note ff7 remake team)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Zerilan posted:

The load times can be long, there are some weird physics kinda stuff going on (on the Pura levels i've jumped into a box and didn't break it and slid over/through it), and the non-airplane vehicles in 3 feel awful.

On the other hand, having relics in 2 is something I never knew I really wanted so we'll call it even :shrug:

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Hey does anyone else have the problem where they still get event recommendations despite turning off event notifications in the settings? Seeing that notice every time I turn on my system is driving me up the wall.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

I was planning on picking up Persona 5, but now I'm wondering if I should get the Crash Trilogy instead.

Get Persona 5

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

The thing about the CODWW2 diversity topic that confuses me is that when it was first revealed, Polygon wrote an article slamming the game's diversity claim for being phoned in. Then I saw that excerpt from their most recent article about the multiplayer, where the writer seems shocked about what he's experienced.

The key to this mysterious puzzle is that the two articles have different bylines. Two opinion writers got together and had the first opinion. Later, a different writer had an experience that he found notable and wrote about it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think Polygon is a dishonest player in this game. They manufacture outrage to collect pageviews. A game will be criticized for being too tall or not tall enough. If is too tall, it will be a insult to hobbits. If is not tall enough, it will insult the globetrotters.

This is the business model that Gawker played aggressively for years and was finally masted by Buzzfeed.

The trick here is to ignore that type of articles. Usually you find good articles in places like Polygoon and Kotaku, if you ignore the shameless clickbait.

Sites like Polygon are created by people that want to create "a New Yorker of gamers", but when that did not quite work like their dreams, they say "gently caress it, lets compete with kotaku".

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 3, 2017

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

So the Crash remake is selling crazy well, second biggest launch of the year

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Crash is back!
I'd say the odds are good that we are getting a new Crash Bandicoot game.
In reality though, this will probably pave the way for a Spyro remaster or something like that.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Did Ruiner get delayed? I thought it was supposed to come out sometime this summer but can't find a release date anywhere.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sefal posted:

Crash is back!
I'd say the odds are good that we are getting a new Crash Bandicoot game.
In reality though, this will probably pave the way for a Spyro remaster or something like that.

Does Naughty Dog have the license back? Because they were the ones who did al the good Crash games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nope. Activision completely owns Crash. The remakes were done by Vicarious Visions.

I wonder if I should wait til Crash is on Switch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So is Okamura's palace the worst in Persona 5? I'm near the end, at the last airlock section, but I've hated this dungeon so much I've been there around a month because I just don't feel like picking up the controller to drag myself through it.

It would be a real bummer if the next few aren't better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

So is Okamura's palace the worst in Persona 5? I'm near the end, at the last airlock section, but I've hated this dungeon so much I've been there around a month because I just don't feel like picking up the controller to drag myself through it.

It would be a real bummer if the next few aren't better.

The future palaces are better

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-03-crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-biggest-single-platform-launch-of-the-year

quote:

Launched exclusively for PlayStation 4, it is the biggest single-platform release of the year so far - beating even Horizon: Zero Dawn.

For 2017 to date, Crash is the year's second biggest launch overall - behind multiplatform release Ghost Recon Wildlands.

It's an incredible result for the trilogy re-make - and the first time in Crash's history the character has ever won a UK number one.

So, new Crash game commissioned for 2018? With that kind of sales launch Activision would be crazy not to.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

When all games turn to be reboots and remastered and rereleases of old games, I will point to this and blame gamers for the self-inflicted wound here.

Nostalgia is a bad thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Miyamoto starting to sweat a little

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There is nothing wrong with rereleasing old games. It is in fact pretty awesome.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr President posted:

What part of woman weren't soldiers in the army during world war 2 do you not understand?

I was using blacks and Asian to make a point but feel free to say what you want. Hope your enjoying President Trump because you helped put him there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Women served in the Red Army as infantry, hth

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

There is nothing wrong with rereleasing old games. It is in fact pretty awesome.

Is not awesome. Is recycling old ideas and assets.

It steals the opportunity of artist to create new world and new ideas.

For the game companies is a amazing thing. They don't have to pay the original artist money, they only need a skeleton team that can up the resolution of textures and create a compiled version targeted for the new platform.

Is like paying for the CD version of Pulp Fiction, then paying for the DVD version of Pulp Fiction, then paying again for the BlueRay version, then paying again for watching in Netflix.

HonorableTB posted:

Women served in the Red Army as infantry, hth

Yea. I am not a expert, but from the top of my head I remember a female flying group. But probably theres a lot more.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

you have issues dude

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Tei posted:

Is not awesome. Is recycling old ideas and assets.

It steals the opportunity of artist to create new world and new ideas.

For the game companies is a amazing thing. They don't have to pay the original artist money, they only need a skeleton team that can up the resolution of textures and create a compiled version targeted for the new platform.

Is like paying for the CD version of Pulp Fiction, then paying for the DVD version of Pulp Fiction, then paying again for the BlueRay version, then paying again for watching in Netflix.

Naw it's pretty awesome

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

an actual dog posted:

you have issues dude

Nah. I am your best friend.

Give me a hug!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Preservation is important. And I've bought Jurassic Park on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray, and even watched it on Netflix once. Even got to see it in theatres when they did the 3D rerelease.

Media doesn't become invalid because time has passed.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Preservation is important. And I've bought Jurassic Park on VHS, DVD, and Blu-ray, and even watched it on Netflix once. Even got to see it in theatres when they did the 3D rerelease.

Media doesn't become invalid because time has passed.

People is playing Crash bandicot and having fun, and thats good.

My fear is the message that this send to game companies. "Do not make new games, re-release old games instead".

--

Videogames generally age horrible and become unplayable. The games that age well are the exception (but exist)

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes, please rerelease all MGS titles on ps4. I would trade 6 new games for those 6 old games.