Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I plan on marathoning the entire season once it gets released on Blu-Ray like I did with 1 and 2. It'll be interesting to see how difficult all the tons of information/little quirks and throwaway lines will be to keep track of at a rapid-fire pace like that, even if I'm already familiar with all of it.

e: Also, this new Criterion documentary David Lynch: The Art Life is on Amazon Prime now, if you need your Sunday night Lynching since there's no new Twin Peaks tonight. I'm starting to watch it now.

How much are you willing to bet that Lynch messed around with LSD before he became a family man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

How much are you willing to bet that Lynch messed around with LSD before he became a family man?
Considering that I'm 20 minutes into it and he's already talking about seeing weird dreamlike bloody naked women walking around his neighborhood at night as a kid, and also that he fell in with the wrong crowd and got into a bunch of trouble, I'd bet my life on it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

So did anyone else read Baby Driver as a Leo/Shelly Johnson origin story?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus, some of the pictures of Philly and David's description of it in this documentary make Eraserhead's setting make more sense to me than ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahaha Jesus Christ, David Lynch's own father told him he should never have children after David showed him some of his art/science projects he was working on in his basement and his dad thought he was insane and should probably be institutionalized.

David Lynch now has 4 children.

:allears:

head58
Apr 1, 2013

How many of those children are actually Woody Woodpecker dolls?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Now that we're seeing all these other lodge creatures and Mother, I wonder if we'll ever find out what Mike saw that he describes as "the face of God" before he parted ways with Bob and cut off The Arm.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Hahahahaha Jesus Christ, David Lynch's own father told him he should never have children after David showed him some of his art/science projects he was working on in his basement and his dad thought he was insane and should probably be institutionalized.

David Lynch now has 4 children.

:allears:

That whole basement story is top kek

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

n4 posted:

Now that we're seeing all these other lodge creatures and Mother, I wonder if we'll ever find out what Mike saw that he describes as "the face of God" before he parted ways with Bob and cut off The Arm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

n4 posted:

Did anyone in here mention that The Giant we've seen in S3 so far isn't actually The Giant? Carel Struycken might apparently playing "The Fireman" in this season, as mentioned in the soundtrack listing on Amazon.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/theories/carel-struycken-the-fireman/

One of my friends who I regularly talk about the show with linked me to that article the other day, but I couldn't remember if it had been discussed in here yet or not.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Did anyone in here mention that The Giant we've seen in S3 so far isn't actually The Giant? Carel Struycken might apparently playing "The Fireman" in this season, as mentioned in the soundtrack listing on Amazon.

One of my friends who I regularly talk about the show with linked me to that article the other day, but I couldn't remember if it had been discussed in here yet or not.

Could the Giant and the Fireman be related to each other like MIKE and TMAP are?

Layers within Layers

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Or they could be the exact same character. Reading into credits is really weird to may, I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

eSporks posted:

Or they could be the exact same character. Reading into credits is really weird to may, I'd take it all with a grain of salt.
Well they could be, but it's not really likely considering the character was listed as a bunch of question marks, which I don't think I even noticed until that article pointed it out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

that laura palmer in plastic figurine advertised in the sidebar is tasteless as gently caress holy poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cis autodrag posted:

that laura palmer in plastic figurine advertised in the sidebar is tasteless as gently caress holy poo poo
The FunkoPop one? Yeah, it is, but at least it's not this, the implications of which are loving horrifying :stonk:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 3, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Lanz posted:

Catching back up on the thread has me thinking about the scenes with Frank and his wife again. Before the reveal about their son's suicide, they obviously come across as a cliched "husband who's just putting up with a stereotypical nagging wife" type deal. However, introducing the knowledge of the suicide, I wonder if that changes the reading?

If Truman's aware of how their son's death affected his wife, it feels less like he's knowingly putting up with "nagging" and... I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. Like, if it's some hosed up way of trying to be "there" for her in her effort to control the things in her life she that can't possibly, or if it's maybe somehow turning himself into something of a lightning rod for her anxieties over that lack of control surfaced in the death of their son.

I should go back and rewatch those scenes with that in mind.

Yeah, I went back and watched the earlier scene and got a similar impression. The first time I saw it (the first scene with Truman and Doris) I thought he was just dealing with someone who wasn't reasonable. I've known people like that, and I thought he was just being stoic. But after the explanation about their son, it puts a whole new understanding about their relationship. I sort of feel like the exchange between the swtichboard cop and Chad is aimed at the viewer. Like, did you, as an audience, think she was being ridiculous? Did you consider there was some trauma? Well there was. How do you feel about how you viewed her the first time?
I felt bad.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

The FunkoPop one? Yeah, it is, but at least it's not this, the implications of which are loving horrifying :stonk:

Jesus loving Christ...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section 9 posted:

Yeah, I went back and watched the earlier scene and got a similar impression. The first time I saw it (the first scene with Truman and Doris) I thought he was just dealing with someone who wasn't reasonable. I've known people like that, and I thought he was just being stoic. But after the explanation about their son, it puts a whole new understanding about their relationship. I sort of feel like the exchange between the swtichboard cop and Chad is aimed at the viewer. Like, did you, as an audience, think she was being ridiculous? Did you consider there was some trauma? Well there was. How do you feel about how you viewed her the first time?
I felt bad.

The important part is not making you feel bad for your lack of information about the first time you viewed their interactions, it's the new light that is shed on their interactions and how it tints your view of it in hindsight- and thus, how you react to finding the information out. Chad reacts in the wrong way. Never ever identify with Chad.

edit: I honestly don't really get what the point of Chad as a character is. He's like the one element of the show so far that has stuck out as really hokey and cliche.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
Chad turns out to be on the take for Red.

He's out doin' some drug deal in the woods, wearing something that helps obscure who he is, when one of Bobby's cameras picks him up.

Bobby goes out to investigate, Chad draws on him, Bobby draws again and Chad's down before he can level the gun.

Bobby looks around flabbergasted, realizing it's the same clearing he shot where he Cliff back in '89.

Lanz fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 3, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I liked about the original Twin Peaks is that there wasn't a stereotypical "all of this is bullshit harUMPH im just such a wet blanket on all the good times you characters are having" character. And I'm glad Chad exists in some strange way so that I can dislike him, but I also wish he did not.

edit: vvvv I too would like Chad to get shot!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 3, 2017

Lanz
May 30, 2013
actually now I want that scene to happen just so we can see Dana Ashbrook make the most "Really? Really???" face he's ever done as Bobby.

Like this, except even more done with all this poo poo and exasperated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCs_kGSs0M4&t=139s

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CJacobs posted:

One thing I liked about the original Twin Peaks is that there wasn't a stereotypical "all of this is bullshit harUMPH im just such a wet blanket on all the good times you characters are having" character. And I'm glad Chad exists in some strange way so that I can dislike him, but I also wish he did not.

edit: vvvv I too would like Chad to get shot!
Well there was Leo, and I was glad when Leo got turned into a vegetable. The most enjoyable Leo moments are of Bobby and Shelly loving with him, or of Windom Earle loving with him.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just finished episode 6. Not sure I want to bother with the rest of this series. Is there a plot at this point? Does anything of interest happen?

The kid getting run over by the truck and the 10 minutes of the entire town acting sad. What the gently caress?

Everything about Doug E. Him scribbling and circling for 10 minutes. What the gently caress?

Why am I subjecting myself to this poo poo. I feel like everyone who claims to enjoy Lynch's "art" is part of a giant inside joke where the punchline is that they don't actually watch what lynch puts out, they just get a laugh at the reactions of anyone who would actually try to watch something made by Lynch and actually try to understand it or enjoy it. It's all random self congratulatory, masturbatory, "surrealist" bull poo poo.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh man, you figured us out.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Just finished episode 6. Not sure I want to bother with the rest of this series. Is there a plot at this point? Does anything of interest happen?

The kid getting run over by the truck and the 10 minutes of the entire town acting sad. What the gently caress?

Everything about Doug E. Him scribbling and circling for 10 minutes. What the gently caress?

Why am I subjecting myself to this poo poo. I feel like everyone who claims to enjoy Lynch's "art" is part of a giant inside joke where the punchline is that they don't actually watch what lynch puts out, they just get a laugh at the reactions of anyone who would actually try to watch something made by Lynch and actually try to understand it or enjoy it. It's all random self congratulatory, masturbatory, "surrealist" bull poo poo.

It's just "Dougie," not "Doug E." hope that clears some things up for you

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Are you actually having a hard time finding a plot here? Outside of the dreamy lodge sequences and most of Episode 8, it's pretty straightforward imo. Slow, non-standard pacing, but still very easy to follow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

th3t00t posted:

lol I should be keeping count of how many times we've had this exact same gimmick in this thread so far.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my loving god, I just finished rewatching Blue Velvet and now I'm watching the making-of documentary on the Blu-Ray, and Fred Caruso (producer) is telling this story about how Lynch would take Polaroids with his son of chickens with their limbs chopped off and switched around :lol:

David Lynch sounds like the best dad :allears:

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

corax
Jan 21, 2002

(clock)

Also the junkie mom yelling ONE ONE NINE.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Klungar posted:

So did anyone else read Baby Driver as a Leo/Shelly Johnson origin story?

I haven't seen it yet but my first thought when I saw the lead actress in the trailer was that she had a strong resemblance to a younger Madchen Amick.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mike Danger posted:

I haven't seen it yet but my first thought when I saw the lead actress in the trailer was that she had a strong resemblance to a younger Madchen Amick.

She works in a diner and serves people coffee. She falls for a guy who's tied up in criminal activity and drives a vehicle for a living. She is often shown wearing 50's era clothing in black and white.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I rewatched the first two episodes of season 3 last night, and something I picked up on was while Bad Cooper is talking to "Phillip Jeffries" in the hotel, Jeffries says "Missed you in New York" to which Bad Cooper says "Couldn't be helped." I never picked up on that before, which makes me think that Bad Cooper has actually met in person with whoever he thinks is Jeffries, and not just someone he's talking to on the phone. And perhaps Jeffries has something to do with the glass box in NY that we haven't revisited.

lol I should be keeping count of how many times we've had this exact same gimmick in this thread so far.
Seriously. I mean, it's fine if you absolutely loathe this and think it's the worst possible dogshit ever made. But without fail, people have to conjure up this situation that it's all some inside joke that they're not in on. "I don't get it, therefore nobody gets it and they're all just jerking off and pretending to enjoy something."

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 3, 2017

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

th3t00t posted:

If it's not for you, it's not for you. Don't worry about it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

th3t00t posted:

It ok to not like things. But to not like and assume that everyone who does likes it is pretending is just dumb. Its ok that you dont get it, no need to pretend that nobody gets it to make you feel better

edit: dumb theory time: I just finished S2 yesterday, and here's my take on Bad Cooper: Windom Earle asks for Cooper soul and Cooper accepts. But then Bob comes and says Earle cant take Cooper soul, so he will take Earle soul. After that, he torments him, he becomes catatonic, Cooper flees, Bad Cooper appears.

What if Earle actually took Cooper soul (or at least part of it), than Bob took Earle soul (which contained Cooper soul now), and made Bad Cooper out of it? So Bad Cooper would be Earle mixed with Coop and possessed by Bob. Or something

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 3, 2017

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Because it's fuuuuuuuuun. It's nice to have something to watch that isn't like - "ooh I wonder what's going to happen next week, I bet Detective Handsome is going to have a showdown with Titsgirl and I bet that gun he got given by a character called Checkov will somehow be important".

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

th3t00t posted:

I get the impression you're watching this for the wrong reasons. It's not like anything else on tv, so acting like it's supposed to be Breaking Bad or something is actively impeding your enjoyment of the show.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Not a gimmick if that many people are having the same genuine reaction to it. From my perspective, and apparently many others perspective, the gimmick is the circle jerk in here over how good this show is.

Mover posted:

It's just "Dougie," not "Doug E." hope that clears some things up for you
Was making a reference to the license plate and accidentally added the o. "DUGE LV"

Gaspy Conana posted:

Are you actually having a hard time finding a plot here? Outside of the dreamy lodge sequences and most of Episode 8, it's pretty straightforward imo. Slow, non-standard pacing, but still very easy to follow.
Actually you're having a hard time following that I stopped at episode 6. It was the pretty straightforward first sentence of my post.

I enjoyed most of season 1 until the murder mystery was over. Season 2 was so bad that I mostly just left it on in the background until the final handful of episodes where all the black lodge stuff started ramping up.

Season 3 so far feels far more like season 2 than 1. It's the same dead pointless screen time filler and "wacky zany" lynch characters turned up to 1000% wackiness that got the show cancelled during it's 2nd season 26 years ago.

Season 3 is a new spin on everything that was bad about and didn't work for Twin Peaks during it's first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know what's odd? if Janey-E Jones did not have that weird E at the end of her first name, then her digits would add up at 118, just like Laura Palmer. But she's not Janey Jones, she's Janey-E Jones so her number is 123.

But that is crazy and uh, kinda hard to think that's all a complete and utter coincidence.