Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its called the 2ds and theyre like $90 new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i traded a modded wii for mine in like 2012 so uh

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I bought it 2 years ago for $50, I'm not going to buy a 2ds for $90

Is that the new 2ds XL? or the 2ds you're talking about? why not the New 3ds XL, originial 3ds XL. or original 3ds instead?

I can't wait for next year's 32ds xbone XL

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

VideoTapir posted:

When the 3ds first came out there were android phones with better 3d available in Japan.

I had a $40 smart phone a couple of years ago, and it could run games with better graphics than the 3DS.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My 3DS really whips the llama's rear end

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think "Gearheads" by Phillips was the greatest game that will ever get made.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

!Klams posted:

I think "Gearheads" by Phillips was the greatest game that will ever get made.

Seconded

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Unghhhh my childhood

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

These are the versions of the 3DS

Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3DS XL
Nintendo 2DS
New Nintendo 3DS
New Nintendo 3DS XL
New Nintendo 2DS XL

They called the sixth nintendo 3ds the New Nintendo 2DS XL

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i use my 3DS to play earthbound on the go, i've stopped playing smash bros for it ever since i unlocked all the trophies like the virtual pack rat that i am. when i get the actual money to buy another game i'll either go majora's mask 3D or the official Metroid II remake

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
dark souls 3 is pretty bad

dark souls 2 owned balls

bloodborne still best tho

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pacifist runs and stealth games are for bitch cowards

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

texting my ex posted:

dark souls 2 owned balls

True; correct opinions are often unpopular, but someone has to say them.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

texting my ex posted:

dark souls 2 owned balls

Dark Souls 2 jsut had no soul. Nothing seemed lived in. They made no attempt to make Dranglic a real place people could exist in.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It might not be unpopular here, but certainly among many, but I never understood why people thought that Link, the guy dressed like a Keebler Elf with the body of a 12 year old girl, should be "bad rear end."

I just don't see it. It's not even an elf thing. I'm pretty sure Orlando Bloom could beat up someone with the body of Link pretty easily and that's sad.

ED: Also not a size thing because I also believe Peter Dinkledge could kick the poo poo out of a real person with Link's general physical condition.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

texting my ex posted:

dark souls 2 owned balls

Meme Emulator posted:

Dark Souls 2 jsut had no soul. Nothing seemed lived in. They made no attempt to make Dranglic a real place people could exist in.

The divide here is that people judge the Souls games on different things. Half the population lives for PvP and other online interaction. The other half treats it as a single player game with occasional coop and periodic but unwelcome PvP. A few crazies are only there for the story.

THE TRUTH:
- The best Souls game for multiplayer is Dark Souls 2
- The best Souls game for singleplayer is Bloodborne

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Space Crabs posted:

pacifist runs

I never understood this. Like why aren't you just watching a movie or something instead?

Stealth can be cool though when it's done right (it rarely is.) Games where you're not supposed to kill ever and just sneak by suck but games that use stealth to brutally gently caress up enemies are cool.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Smash Bros is loving terrible

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Smash Bros is loving terrible

Is this really an unpopular opinion :confused:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

• Smash Bros. N64: good and hasn't been corrupted too much by tournament play
  • Smash Bros. Melee: lovely because of the heavy gravity, a gameplay bug being an important technique, and like five worthwhile characters to play in tournaments. also their fans who stubbornly insist on this being the definitive smash are some of gaming's worst people, as are smash bros. tournament people in general
  • Smash Bros. Brawl: lovely because it's too floaty, has random tripping, and looks less colorful than Melee. still pretty lol that nintendo made those gameplay decisions as a big "gently caress you" to tournament players
  • Smash Bros. 4: the best smash mechanics-wise, has way more viable characters than Melee and Brawl, still suffers from having a tournament scene consisting of ghouls. also, a single person has won every major tournament for that game that he's been in, so why bother playing competitively?

Honky Dong Country posted:

I never understood this. Like why aren't you just watching a movie or something instead?
i guess it can be a fun challenge for yourself if you've mastered a game and want a new challenge, but it sounds boring as hell to me

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 30, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

• Smash Bros. N64: good and hasn't been corrupted too much by tournament play
  • Smash Bros. Melee: lovely because of the heavy gravity, a gameplay bug being an important technique, and like five worthwhile characters to play in tournaments. also their fans who stubbornly insist on this being the definitive smash are some of gaming's worst people, as are smash tournament people in general
  • Smash Bros. Brawl: lovely because it's too floaty, has random tripping, and looks less colorful than Melee. still pretty lol that nintendo made those gameplay decisions as a big "gently caress you" to tournament players
  • Smash Bros. 4: the best smash mechanics-wise, has way more viable characters than Melee and Brawl, still suffers from having a tournament scene consisting of ghouls

You're basing how good these games are based on how people play them in tournaments and I don't think that's a good metric to use.

tournaments and "metagame" completely ruin multiplayer fun.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if you care about a game's tournament potential, gently caress you and developers should never ever ever listen to you or what you want.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

You're basing how good these games are based on how people play them in tournaments and I don't think that's a good metric to use.

tournaments and "metagame" completely ruin multiplayer fun.
i mostly wanted to point out that competitive smash bros. players are terrible people. as a multiplayer game they're all fun as hell, and the trophies are like catnip for completionists like me. no items and playing on five stages total is taking all the fun out of it

different unpopular opinion, same game series: The Subspace Emissary was good

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

when i was in high school the hotness at the time was to use websites to rip mp3s from youtube. the problem was this was before youtube had decently high quality audio so it was like a 64kbps mp3 (192k is reasonable, 320k is almost cd quality) which was absolutely loving terrible. the "cool" tech kid openly derided me for being a retard for not ripping music from youtube when i told people to just torrent that poo poo in cd quality. whats actually p funny is that guy started like actively trying to turn people against me in the weirdest ways because i was giving people hot tips on how to pirate better music

learning life lessons about manipulative weirdos through teenage piracy. good times
lol are you like fuckin 20 or something, jesus

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Don't age shame plz.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

opinion: the wii u concept was fuckin amazing and it would still be going if nintendo hadn't hosed up completely at marketing it + courting third parties

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

Don't age shame plz.
Let me tell you about how a wrongnerd, who was loving Wrong, picked on me in high school

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HAT FETISH posted:

opinion: the wii u concept was fuckin amazing and it would still be going if nintendo hadn't hosed up completely at marketing it + courting third parties

It is still going. The switch is Nintendo's way of doing it over. They​ are still going to fall to get third parties though because it's not 1992 anymore.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chomp8645 posted:

The divide here is that people judge the Souls games on different things. Half the population lives for PvP and other online interaction. The other half treats it as a single player game with occasional coop and periodic but unwelcome PvP. A few crazies are only there for the story.

THE TRUTH:

This is so true.

Man, I always forget, about Dark Souls 2 opening weekend, basically the only thing that could ever rival Philips' "Gearheads" (the ultimate game).

No one knew what the gently caress the Rat King covenant was. In case you haven't played DS2, there are several covenants you can join that are generally to do with multiplayer. One of them lets you do the typical invading other players games, one of them makes the game harder, one of them lets you put down a sign to be summoned to help people, etc etc. These were all similar to ones in DS1, so, everyone kinda knew what was up. For the most part, all the multiplayer stuff was either opt-in, or pretty heavily telegraphed.

The Rat King covenant though, was new and weird and amazing.

It was only in two optional areas, leading up to an optional boss. If you beat the area, you could join the covenant, which then let you change the area with lockstones. Each lockstone would unlock a new trap (or sometimes unlock a shortcut, which was bad, but you didn't know what did what, you kinda had to guess). Why put traps / shortcuts in an area you've just completed? Because other people attempting that area, could randomly get sucked into your game. They would then have to run your gauntlet that you had created, and ultimately, defeat you, to get to the boss. Killing someone sucked into your game in this way would give you a fresh lockstone!

Obviously in the days of having the internet, there can't really be any actual 'surprises' in games any more, so eventually everyone knew what was up and would just peace out if they got sucked in, or avoid that optional area. But for that first glorious week, no one knew what the gently caress was happening to them when they got dragged into your rube-goldberg murder run. The 'AHA!' moment of working out what was going on (I never got dragged into one, and only understood once I was already in full on dungeon keeper mode) was absolutely glorious. Whats best, was a lot of the stuff in there was 'corrosive', and the rat gave you easy access to corrosion bombs, not easily obtained elsewhere. Standing in a corrosion trap or getting corrosion bombed wouldn't do any damage, but would break your precious armor / items, which were super costly and difficult to fix at that point in the game. I think actually some stuff couldn't be repaired at all at that point. Not only was the Rat King trap confusing and surprising, it was also genuinely terrifying! I got a lot of hate mail.

It was really fun sometimes to switch it up too, and not actually attack anyone that came in, but instead just cheer them on, and throw them prizes as they completed different bits. I'd do that for people who had obviously made their characters look as cool as they could. Such fun times.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 2, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

People falling over themselves for the retro NES and SNES consoles are really dumb and they need to play better games

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I've got nothing against someone who doesn't want to bother with an emulator and all that to get old games up on the TV, but the way some people act like it's this game-changing device when the tech has been around since the turn of the millennium is really really annoying. "OOH STARFOX 2" bitches I played Starfox 2 on ZSNES before 9/11 and it sucked then too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Some of you nerds arguing about VLC must be allergic to pussy or something, Christ almighty.

3D, particularly glasses-free 3D, is actually cool as gently caress, and it's a shame that it's not going anywhere.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

THE TRUTH:

Yea dude the game that completely hosed up the match making with the soul memory poo poo is the best for PvP

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I actually dont know if it was that bad I just remember ppl complaining about it. I never pvped outside of random phantom invasions that you get natrually over the course of a playthrough

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I put my white soapstone symbol yesterday for like 30 mins in DS3 and nobody summoned me

Is dark souls 3 multi dead?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea dude the game that completely hosed up the match making with the soul memory poo poo is the best for PvP

Yes, unironically.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes, unironically.

In case it wasn't clear, throw another yes from me on the pile.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

People falling over themselves for the retro NES and SNES consoles are really dumb and they need to play better games

The people buying that stuff aren't going to play it

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It's just so CUTE! Gigglesquee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Dark souls 2 pve sucks dicks