Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol just ran into a weather axemen deck that basically just ran Avallc'h, Hjalmar, Axemen + Operator, and like 50 loving weather cards, plus 3 shackles and that silver that toggles locks, just in case you think maybe you can shut them down.

Beginning to think maybe CDPR isn't all that great at designing card games.

They keep underestimating the never-ending dichotomy of too much removal vs. too much hexproof which every TCG goes through at several points in its balancing cycle and power creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

King Pawn posted:

To expand on my last post and try to stimulate a bit of discussion (and brag a little I guess) I'll post my deck. It's not blazingly original but I haven't seen anything quite like it.

I've seen this type of deck lots of times, actually. Fog weather monster is popular. Obviously harpies are too in all monster decks, and the clearing-weather Griffin is a must in the actual meta. Caranthir, Succubus and Woodland Spirit are perhaps the most popular gold monster cards.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol just ran into a weather axemen deck that basically just ran Avallc'h, Hjalmar, Axemen + Operator, and like 50 loving weather cards, plus 3 shackles and that silver that toggles locks, just in case you think maybe you can shut them down.

Beginning to think maybe CDPR isn't all that great at designing card games.

Weather cards were a mistake.
And with that I mean the actual version that affects only the opponent row and do real instant damage in the same turn.

----

I was bored and now I'm trying to do a SK deck but without Axemen, Bears or abuse of weather. So basically I'm trying to do a deck with Queensguard and Shieldmaiden as the core.

quote:

But... right now it doesn't work. Because i have low damage I even have problems killing Hjalmar's giant, i have the Shieldmaiden but they need for the target to be wounded already to do all the damage.
so Any help with it?
Personally I'm more into playing the card game than in the deckbuilding aspect.

I was wondering if I should put some more damage or just skip Hjalmar and choose another gold.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

But... right now it doesn't work. Because i have low damage I even have problems killing Hjalmar's giant, i have the Shieldmaiden but they need for the target to be wounded already to do all the damage.
so Any help with it?
Personally I'm more into playing the card game than in the deckbuilding aspect.

I was wondering if I should put some more damage or just skip Hjalmar and choose another gold.

Drop Cerys for Lugos and put one of those big boy warriors or something to always have a way to clear the giant and have a nice target to resurrect. No Lugos then Blackhand. You also need the silver musician guy, to get them fat queensguards.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The game would probably benefit from a larger user base in addition to the obvious balance concerns. Or maybe even more expensive cards/milling, loathe as I am to suggest that. You pretty quickly seem to hit a point where everyone has a perfectly copied meta deck from gwentdb or whatever Lifecoach last streamed. Not sure how they could promote better diversity, but everyone running the same 5 decks competitively is incredibly dull.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think it's partly inevitable, every card game is always full of net decks of some variety from streamers/tournament winning decks.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
The obvious problem isn't the game, it's the players.

only 1 way to solve that problem

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Subvisual Haze posted:

The game would probably benefit from a larger user base in addition to the obvious balance concerns. Or maybe even more expensive cards/milling, loathe as I am to suggest that. You pretty quickly seem to hit a point where everyone has a perfectly copied meta deck from gwentdb or whatever Lifecoach last streamed. Not sure how they could promote better diversity, but everyone running the same 5 decks competitively is incredibly dull.

that always happens in card games, just remember the amount of cards in this game is (obviously) really small for now so it's not like there's a lot of room to explore

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

I think it's partly inevitable, every card game is always full of net decks of some variety from streamers/tournament winning decks.

I think we can all agree the internet is a mistake.

Although after playing a casual match against a poor new player who tried to use Fake Ciri I can understand why certain cards aren't used very much. What an incredibly unfortunate card in a game where locks exist.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Subvisual Haze posted:

A great way to do this is to just remove rewards. Make the point of the game fun and enjoyment, instead of incremental power gains, and you remove most of the incentive for net-decking. Gwent has doubled down on incentives for net-decking by packing so much of its reward structure into things that reward wins/time played or pure rank. Alternatively, a different (mutually exclusive) reward track that doesn't punish you for not playing optimal decks might do a similar thing.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
ive got a crazy idea guys

just give everyone all the cards from the start!!!!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hampig posted:

A great way to do this is to just remove rewards. Make the point of the game fun and enjoyment, instead of incremental power gains, and you remove most of the incentive for net-decking. Gwent has doubled down on incentives for net-decking by packing so much of its reward structure into things that reward wins/time played or pure rank. Alternatively, a different (mutually exclusive) reward track that doesn't punish you for not playing optimal decks might do a similar thing.

is gwent your first online card game or something

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
you think you want to have all the cards but then you put a troll out of work

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

3 out of 5 matches last night were against ambush SK. I wonder which AllStar streamer taught that one to the masses.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
What is 'ambush SK'?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Eagerly awaiting the dev stream to announce that the only change is Savage Bears being buffed to 7.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

3 out of 5 matches last night were against ambush SK. I wonder which AllStar streamer taught that one to the masses.

it was me

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Still doing decent with non crones non foglet consume monsters, I'm able to pilot it drunk and coincidentally it's been the deck I've had the most cards for from the start. I feel like I'm winning 80% of the time, though I haven't checked...

I was running 3 golds for most of it! Renew only ever helped me once, people save their golds till round 3, it was a dead card most of the time with my playstyle. (If you can't lock and destroy their gold) I finally crafted Ge'els shortly after Fiend

I'd post my deck but I keep changing it, no one expects a non netdeck!
I finally got off my adrenaline rush, resiliant kick, except for harpy eggs, dead golem remnants and 5 nekkars buffed by consume.
Running grave and water hag, if you wait on grave hag till like 2nd to last card, it's only been destroyed on me 3 times, (I still won)
Also I quit running 3 cards over 25 with arachas (3 health) it's only a 9 swing plus maybe grave hag fodder, golems can do the same or more nekkars.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
It's gonna be funny if they kneejerk destroy consume monsters, because if they buff nilfgaard at all then consume monsters is going back in the dumpster. Auckes and Petyr are too drat good against it.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Minrad posted:

It's gonna be funny if they kneejerk destroy consume monsters, because if they buff nilfgaard at all then consume monsters is going back in the dumpster. Auckes and Petyr are too drat good against it.

I don't think a lot of NG decks even bring Auckes. He can be annoying if you play against him, but on the whole he's not that amazing. 4 strength, 1+1 damage, 2 locks. That sounds good, but the more matches you play him in, the more you realize how limited the guy is. Stupid rear end in a top hat loves to show up in your hand for round 3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

With some luck, they will have learned of their previous patch and how they overreacted as now NG is too weak, so this time the changes will be smaller.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I would like to congratulate you on a well made deck!

The crazy Foltest deck with 37 cards is stupid fun to play.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subvisual Haze posted:

I don't think a lot of NG decks even bring Auckes. He can be annoying if you play against him, but on the whole he's not that amazing. 4 strength, 1+1 damage, 2 locks. That sounds good, but the more matches you play him in, the more you realize how limited the guy is. Stupid rear end in a top hat loves to show up in your hand for round 3.

Auckles is cool because he can't do the one thing nilf would want a lot of locks for

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i tried out a ranked match today. i passed 5 cards into the first round partly because of a 15 strength skeldon skaggs (skeldon shaggs? Sheldon Shaggs?) I guess he saw something cool on stream because he decided to spend 4 cards buffing it up to 34 strength and putting resilience on it.

then i drew scorch O_o. He didn't forfeit right away though so I give him credit for sticking it out.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I know monsters is probably overpowered and overplayed I directly blame you dicks for shooting it into the ground you dicks, why has your net deck deck forsaken me, I haven't even looked at netdeck I've lost 4 out of 5. Now I'm going to have to play Griffin's and anti weather Karma weather and also weather.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I know monsters is probably overpowered and overplayed I directly blame you dicks for shooting it into the ground you dicks, why has your net deck deck forsaken me, I haven't even looked at netdeck I've lost 4 out of 5. Now I'm going to have to play Griffin's and anti weather Karma weather and also weather.

Do you... are you okay? Should we call someone? :ohdear:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
King of beggars most underrated card

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Monsters is by far the most well-balanced faction, imo. There's still some stuff that will need to be tweaked once the more blatantly crazy poo poo is fixed, but basically all of their mechanics are well thought-out and viable without somehow turning into either a giant pile of broken bullshit or a completely useless pile of bullshit.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Monsters are as good as Skellige right now.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone mind sharing any Nilfgaard decks they're playing? I play pretty much only reveal and am looking for some other ideas. Any cool Emhyr decks?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Axemen, Shieldmaidens, Hjalmar, and renewed Hjalmar put Skellige a cut above still.

But in general yeah. I noted early after the patch that monsters were so far the only faction in the game that has actual cohesive faction identity overall. Though they might take a slight hit if CDPR decides to take a more drastic approach to bronze weather, which is what enabling some of the worst gameplay in the game right now.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Img is huge, click and open in a new tab. Crach alone is 25% of the ladder at top tier MMR. Emhyr is in a sad state.

Also a reminder that in 2,5h as of this post, a CDPR developer stream begins on twitch.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I know that there's always a weak class/faction/color in card games but holy gently caress that's brutal

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

That 0,4% Emyhr is probably Garrunah.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

Axemen, Shieldmaidens, Hjalmar, and renewed Hjalmar put Skellige a cut above still.

This is a very popular view, but I don't know why. #1 on the ladder is a monsters player who got there on the back of making GBS threads on Axemen. The top 20 is full of monsters players. I personally climbed to rank 17 with weather monsters, with a positive winrate against every faction, and I know drat well that I played badly and lost more than a few games to boneheaded mistakes. Apparently losing to Monsters feels better to people somehow but it's just as nerf-worthy as far as I'm concerned. Succubus in particular is a hosed up card, apparently it was a meme before I started playing but it's a large-to-ridiculously-enormous point swing and there is no reliable counter to it.

The most played deck isn't automatically the best deck. But fear not Skellige-haters, I'm pretty confident the faction is going to get poo poo on Nilfgaard style.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

King Pawn posted:

Apparently losing to Monsters feels better to people somehow but it's just as nerf-worthy as far as I'm concerned.

It's because when monsters play bronze weather, their units don't grow while your units shrink. At the end they both abuse bronze weather, but Monster just doesn't feel that is pulling bullshit after bullshit like Skellige does when you're playing any of the other 3 factions.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I haven't lost a round to monsters by 100 points, so it doesn't rub quite as much salt into the wound.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Weathers, paraphrasing

Frost: at the start of your turn, damage the lowest unit by 2
Fog: at the start of your turn, damage the highest unit by 2
Rain: at the start of your turn, damage up to 5 units by 1
Skellige Storm: start of turn; 2, 2, 1

Aeromancy plays a bronze or silver weather from your deck, no longer resurrects

I'm glad I don't play a weather deck because rip

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That seems fairly reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, they are overreacting again. From Frost affecting 5-7 cards or whatever amount in a row, to now only 1.
And if you nerf all the weather cards, why you nerf Aeromancy too? If they are less good, it isn't so bad to bring one from the graveyard, its' a silver.

The good thing is that with this design philosophy, we are going to have a 'new' game every month!