Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

do you know what the error message was, or

"Error: You haven't accessed the Google Play Store app on your device with this email account"

is not the one in question (close though)

but I suggested she log out of all of her accounts and back in to her primary whatever that is

she's uh transitioning maybe so has a few and idk wtf from her previous goog accounts

hate messing with anyone's phone or computer where it requires account info or cc#s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
google doesn't care about trans kids

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
probably means that the author of the app doesn't properly set the allowed devices, and the whole sot-of-android subsystem in new chromebooks gets confused.

or maybe the app was pirated and now they're trying to install it on the chromebook where whatever was used to pirate it doesn't work, so it's trying to check a google play store license and getting rejected. and the default way to handle that is to tell you to sign into the account that bought the app.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

probably means that the author of the app doesn't properly set the allowed devices, and the whole sot-of-android subsystem in new chromebooks gets confused.

or maybe the app was pirated and now they're trying to install it on the chromebook where whatever was used to pirate it doesn't work, so it's trying to check a google play store license and getting rejected. and the default way to handle that is to tell you to sign into the account that bought the app.

this could be it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

if we have problems sshing into our switches at work, why is regenerating the ssh key on the switch a solution to that problem
it started happening again on this switch. ssh hasn't been disabled, logs on the switch are being sent to our loghost and aren't showing anything other than a lack of ssh attempts from our rancid server. wireshark in windows just sees the ssh connection attempt time out. sshing from the switch to other things works fine. connecting to the switch via console works fine. in like every other respect the switch is completely functional but it just doesn't want to do inbound ssh. it's been online since august 2016 and the firmware is from 2014. i haven't regenerated the host key yet i believe it'll fix this issue again temporarily.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

it started happening again on this switch. ssh hasn't been disabled, logs on the switch are being sent to our loghost and aren't showing anything other than a lack of ssh attempts from our rancid server. wireshark in windows just sees the ssh connection attempt time out. sshing from the switch to other things works fine. connecting to the switch via console works fine. in like every other respect the switch is completely functional but it just doesn't want to do inbound ssh. it's been online since august 2016 and the firmware is from 2014. i haven't regenerated the host key yet i believe it'll fix this issue again temporarily.

what poo poo rear end company makes these switches

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mishaq posted:

what poo poo rear end company makes these switches
this is a stacked pair of brocade icx7450 48-port switches

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthonypants posted:

this is a stacked pair of brocade icx7450 48-port switches

Should have bought a real switch op

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Foo posted:

Should have bought a real switch op
my boss really likes brocade for some reason idk

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i've got these speakers, "audioengine 2+" they're called. i swear it seems like when i play games, sound effects are loud but people talking are very quiet. there are only two speakers, and I don't think any kind of more-complicated setup is configured. do you think something is wrong with my computer or with my ears?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

prefect posted:

i've got these speakers, "audioengine 2+" they're called. i swear it seems like when i play games, sound effects are loud but people talking are very quiet. there are only two speakers, and I don't think any kind of more-complicated setup is configured. do you think something is wrong with my computer or with my ears?

are you certain those particular games are set for Stereo sound and not set as Surround in the settings?

cuz that happens if the game is set for surround, but you only have 2.0 plugged in, so the center channel audio goes into nowhere

if that's the case, and you set it as "stereo" then it downmixes the center channel audio (voices) into the L/R channels

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

maybe its set to have a center channel, eg 5.1, and you don't

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

are you certain those particular games are set for Stereo sound and not set as Surround in the settings?

cuz that happens if the game is set for surround, but you only have 2.0 plugged in, so the center channel audio goes into nowhere

if that's the case, and you set it as "stereo" then it downmixes the center channel audio (voices) into the L/R channels

I will check that out; thanks for the tip :tipshat:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had a similar issue with a stereo TV, Chromecast and Plex. I had to turn it up real loud to hear the conversations and the sound effects would be hella loud. had to manually edit the Plex configuration to get it to downmix 5.1 to stereo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthonypants posted:

:rip:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

:sever:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

someone should change that to server instead

i have a rpi3 that used to connect to my ancient sarnsung monitor via hdmi-dvi and now it turns on the monitor but no image is displayed. if i use a hdmi to vga adapter, it works fine. the monitor works fine with everything else. i've tried raspbian via img and raspbian via NOOBS, and ubuntu mate. i've fiddled with config.txt to set it to the native resolution (1680x1050) and still haven't gotten anywhere. is there a way to query if EDID data is being passed between the display and rpi, and if its being parsed correctly?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DJ Commie posted:

someone should change that to server instead

i have a rpi3 that used to connect to my ancient sarnsung monitor via hdmi-dvi and now it turns on the monitor but no image is displayed. if i use a hdmi to vga adapter, it works fine. the monitor works fine with everything else. i've tried raspbian via img and raspbian via NOOBS, and ubuntu mate. i've fiddled with config.txt to set it to the native resolution (1680x1050) and still haven't gotten anywhere. is there a way to query if EDID data is being passed between the display and rpi, and if its being parsed correctly?
what's the refresh rate

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

anthonypants posted:

what's the refresh rate

good idea to check, the display won't even open the OSD which makes me thing there's something fucky going on

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dmesg shows edid crap for me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
are there ATX power supplies designed for industrial environments (probably) and if so how do I find the most reliable one

basically need something that's gonna be okay with a small PC at temps ranging from 20F to 120F. or is that normal enough I can just grab a stout Seasonic and call it a day?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

seasonic makes industrial psus

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

are there ATX power supplies designed for industrial environments (probably) and if so how do I find the most reliable one

basically need something that's gonna be okay with a small PC at temps ranging from 20F to 120F. or is that normal enough I can just grab a stout Seasonic and call it a day?

the psu won't care about 120F

everything else inside of the computer might, tho

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it looks like the seasonic industrial atx psus don't give a temperature range, but the atx spec says 50C

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont know how far you are into purchasing things but they make motherboards that have a dc jack and you don't have to fool with all the atx voltages, and the seasonic industrial single voltage psus list 70C for a high temperature

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's for an already existing computer that's already running. I just want to replace the power supply ahead of time because the facility has another similar* computer that had a power supply fail last month and the downtime on the machine it controlled cost them a lot of money. and apparently the companies that make big industrial saws don't offer support contracts for the control computers?? madness

I just figured maybe replacing a power supply that's been continuously running for several years might be a good preventive maintenance thing

*that one took a specific low profile PSU with v. few options for purchase, this one is just standard ATX form factor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wfies mac book air running big mountain with sun on half of it

sometimes just wont connect to internet. connects to wifi but internet wont work

restarting fixes it.. is that the best solution?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's for an already existing computer that's already running. I just want to replace the power supply ahead of time because the facility has another similar* computer that had a power supply fail last month and the downtime on the machine it controlled cost them a lot of money. and apparently the companies that make big industrial saws don't offer support contracts for the control computers?? madness

I just figured maybe replacing a power supply that's been continuously running for several years might be a good preventive maintenance thing

*that one took a specific low profile PSU with v. few options for purchase, this one is just standard ATX form factor

if uptime is important buy a comp w/ redundant power supplies

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

wfies mac book air running big mountain with sun on half of it

sometimes just wont connect to internet. connects to wifi but internet wont work

restarting fixes it.. is that the best solution?

Zap ur pram

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Captain Foo posted:

Zap ur pram

wow, mod sass

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

wap randomly scrambled the wifi password... latvia not very strong right now. also found out someone pressed the wifi button on the main router and turned that off too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

wap randomly scrambled the wifi password... latvia not very strong right now. also found out someone pressed the wifi button on the main router and turned that off too

??

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mikrotik stuff is made in latvia

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you can read the mikrotik thread in shsc and it's a constant stream of them breaking crap and having ridiculous changelogs, although they changed to having stable/unstable/dev release branches now so it's a little better

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use ubiquiti op

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

mikrotik stuff is made in latvia

oh i see, their hq is approx a 40 minute daytime taxi ride away

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

As opposed to a nighttime taxi? :confused:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

As opposed to a nighttime taxi? :confused:

exactly. traffic in riga is real bad from about 7am to 7pm on any workday, and it takes forever to get anywhere by car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you go faster when the air is warmer