Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Luigi Thirty posted:

my favorite was the blackberry MULTICEOS saying that apple's device was impossible because the battery life couldn't be longer than 15 minutes

i think its cool to laugh at analysts and tech """journalists""" making GBS threads on the original iphone but fishing old quotes from ceos is a bit pointless. ballmers job wasnt to tell the truth it was to do anything that would increase the ms share price. of course he was gonna poo poo on the iphone doing anything else would have been literally illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
quad ceo company

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

geekbench has pauses in the benchmark to avoid throttling

but it's drat impressive apple has matched Intel within like 5 CPU releases

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

poty posted:

i think its cool to laugh at analysts and tech """journalists""" making GBS threads on the original iphone but fishing old quotes from ceos is a bit pointless. ballmers job wasnt to tell the truth it was to do anything that would increase the ms share price. of course he was gonna poo poo on the iphone doing anything else would have been literally illegal

uh no, that was internally not a press statement. it didn't come out until a few years ago and they were flipping out with all-hands meetings every day after the demo

ufarn
May 30, 2009
reminds me of the "you can actually shake this mofo for ten seconds without any issue" marketing on my ipod

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/360124399074025474

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

where's the ARM Mac Pro, tim

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
[quote="“BONGHITZ”" post="“473930098”"]
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/360124399074025474
[/quote]
bring back steve jobs...from the dead with my orb

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

iPad Pro is very good, as evidenced by this post. iOS 11 also good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol a MacBook Pro has active cooling while an iPad Pro is passively cooled.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i await our glorious arm desktop future

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

These aren't air holes, they are drainage holes for when you spill your latte into your brand new $4000 laptop

lenovoguy.jpg

spill a drink on my laptop and nothing happens

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

iPad Pro is very good, as evidenced by this post. iOS 11 also good

the control panel is a mess and the notification screen is horrible on iphone

the ipad improvements are great, though

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AWWNAW posted:

iOS 11 also good

https://twitter.com/babylonian/status/871791631770542083

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow capcom and apple invented colspan, rowspan and grids in general. u heard it first on twitter folks!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

the control panel is a mess and the notification screen is horrible on iphone

the ipad improvements are great, though

now playing controls are a complete crapshoot for me. sometimes it gets stuck on an autoplay ad so I have to go into the app to change tracks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol winmo5/6 was build on the CE kernel and I think even 7 was. They were abominations that couldn't even support multitouch without 3rd party software and a ground-up re-write on the nt kernel was necessary. The problem was they did that re-write three times and alienated everyone in the process

anyone pining for ce era winmo is remembering some rose tinted bullshit. the platform was an absolute goddamn trash fire, even by the standards of the early to mid 2000s

hey guess what, you have to use the task manager to close apps, or they stay in memory and eventually your phone will soft lock in a way that's not immediately obvious. they #1 thing to silently crash? the mother loving phone app. hope you weren't expecting any calls

oh and early activesync may just delete all your mail, just 'cause.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my favorite was the blackberry pearl which had a memory leak that would eventually cause the phone to silently acknowledge and delete any incoming text messages. good poo poo. good poo poo.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

my favorite was the blackberry pearl which had a memory leak that would eventually cause the phone to silently acknowledge and delete any incoming text messages. good poo poo. good poo poo.

lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am sorry, thread
The local electronics megastore lured me into the store to impulse buy Timbs dumb new 15" donglebook with a $300 discount. It was still obscenely expensive.

RIP mid 2010 15" i7 macbook, you were the best lappy I ever had

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

anyone pining for ce era winmo is remembering some rose tinted bullshit. the platform was an absolute goddamn trash fire, even by the standards of the early to mid 2000s

hey guess what, you have to use the task manager to close apps, or they stay in memory and eventually your phone will soft lock in a way that's not immediately obvious. they #1 thing to silently crash? the mother loving phone app. hope you weren't expecting any calls

oh and early activesync may just delete all your mail, just 'cause.

ios didn't demonstrate what kind of kernel you needed, it demonstrated that a smartphone should be single-tasking and established sane ui concepts that made it work (not least fluid touch, which wp7 did get right despite claims to the contrary). the biggest problems with wp7 was that ie was not up to snuff and that silverlight needed more work. the kernel was not a problem any user pined to have solved. they should have just stuck webkit on there for the moment (edge is now competent, but that took half a decade) and kept working on the frameworks. iterating ce would also have been necessary, but that was the easier problem. not least such an approach would have avoided badly squandering nokias efforts

besides, the original point was that it would have done *better*, and a 0.3% market share now would still be doing better

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i had a wp7 phone, and i agree it was a pretty solid platform, with absolutely nothing on it.

i was using ce-era winmo as a shorthand to refer to the old windows mobile platform

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

mishaq posted:

dont forget the stopgap 6.5 release because they couldnt get 7 out on time, creating phones that were obsolete the second they hit the market

i thought you were talking about tim failing to release the oled phone last year and nodding my head until i looked up at the post you quoted

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Rex-Goliath posted:

ahahahhah

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
iirc the pearl thing wasn't a memory leak, it was just incredibly dumb handling of running out of room for SMS. when device memory filled up for whatever reason, it would simply trash incoming messages with no alert or notification

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

iirc the pearl thing wasn't a memory leak, it was just incredibly dumb handling of running out of room for SMS. when device memory filled up for whatever reason, it would simply trash incoming messages with no alert or notification

TOOLS NOT TOYS

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mishaq posted:

TOOLS NOT TOYS

:has a press conference for their version of anger bird:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
pounded in the butt by

r u ready to WALK posted:

Timbs dumb new 15" donglebook

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

uncurable mlady posted:

that explains a lot, actually. when i took it back to verizon the guy told me it was a memory leak and to restart the phone every couple of days. when that didn't work i just gave up and wiped the whole phone and the problem went away.

anyways you'll note that while apple makes fantastic hardware, their software

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Rex-Goliath posted:

that explains a lot, actually. when i took it back to verizon the guy told me it was a memory leak and to restart the phone every couple of days. when that didn't work i just gave up and wiped the whole phone and the problem went away.

anyways you'll note that while apple makes fantastic hardware, their software

one of the most popular apps for blackberry os when they came up with an app store (and before that, even) was an app to simulate a battery pull and even run it on a schedule because bbos was loving poo poo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bbry literally had no roadmap or plans for refactoring or anything. it was just hack the java spaghetti code enough to get this years phones out the door on schedule, and then start hacking support for next years features, rinse and repeat

the miracle was those late era bbos 6 boom-boom-plow phones working at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

TOOLS NOT TOYS

*names their tablet a "playbook"*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

*builds entire marketing campaign around it having FLASH when flash was on its way out*

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

echinopsis posted:

I used it and it's really bad. could maybe make for a mediocre serving tray

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
someone in here wrote a feet to meters conversion app and bb sent them a free playbook

rip kevin

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I wrote an app that literally didn't work and bb sent me a free playbook and invitation to the convention in Orlando where I got a free Storm which I ebayed for 500 dollars

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

graph posted:

someone in here wrote a feet to meters conversion app and bb sent them a free playbook

rip kevin

is he rip gone or rip dead?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

*builds entire marketing campaign around it having FLASH when flash was on its way out*

*requires a blackberry phone to be paired to get email and send bbm messages*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is he rip gone or rip dead?

kevin was the bb person who sent the playbook for the poo poo app

• Locked thread