Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
What's the best way to use the OverGoon Google Doc to find goons to play with? Should I just scroll to the bottom and start adding people I guess? It would be nice if the document included peoples SR ratings for comp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

10bux posted:

What's the best way to use the OverGoon Google Doc to find goons to play with? Should I just scroll to the bottom and start adding people I guess? It would be nice if the document included peoples SR ratings for comp.

SR changes after every game so that would in fact be a terrible idea

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

FAUXTON posted:

SR changes after every game so that would in fact be a terrible idea

Could easily just do current rank and update every so often.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jeza posted:

Could easily just do current rank and update every so often.

Why isn't this a discord bot already? Something that links user to account, refreshes then matches with other goons.

!lfg ~100 tank
> These fuckheads are online and within 100 of your lovely SR.

Thanks in advance.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I just leaping point blank oneshot domed a full health soldat the second he triggered his ult and he sincerely cried for a reaper nerf in match chat.

Felt good.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Waiting for Reaper to fly so I can pop Pharmercy like that

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

People in scrub tier, me included in that, just don't know how to handle the new reaper, it's such a massive shift where before you'd have this character who would drop in, maybe get a pick on a squishy and then nope out of there once he's spotted now goes loving nuts and starts running at the biggest dude he can see while you just can't seem to kill him unless there's 3 people focused on him.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I threw a sticky bomb on an ulting reaper earlier today and I've been grinning ever since.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

AceClown posted:

People in scrub tier, me included in that, just don't know how to handle the new reaper, it's such a massive shift where before you'd have this character who would drop in, maybe get a pick on a squishy and then nope out of there once he's spotted now goes loving nuts and starts running at the biggest dude he can see while you just can't seem to kill him unless there's 3 people focused on him.

Its amazing now that there is another hero with reinhardt size balls in the game. He is especially handy in pick up games when you don't want to sound salty at the yolo guy who keeps just running right into the fuckers. Instead of "reset, jesus stop giving them ult over and over like a retard", "dude, hows your reaper?".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm seeing Reaper behaving as before, running away constantly. Is he tougher now but people playing him don't realize it? (I never play Reaper.)

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm seeing Reaper behaving as before, running away constantly. Is he tougher now but people playing him don't realize it? (I never play Reaper.)

Driving me nuts as Mercy sometimes. I zoom in to keep them healed and they are already in wraith form by the time I get there even though they were not yet in mortal danger. Then of course other team shoots me instead of running from the guy with the shotguns.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

he's a little tougher during a fight since he gets 20% of the damage he deals back as health. so he can theoretically get 56 health back per shot, tho that's almost never gonna happen. still, he'll get most of that when he's shooting tanks in the head and roadhog basically can't kill him anymore

it doesn't make much difference to the dps heroes tho since they have less health and it's harder to do as much damage to them. max you can get back from a soldier is 40, for example, but that requires you to kill him in one shot from full health

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nerd question: when​/why did "pick" become the new word for "kill" (or "frag" if you're old school)?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that one predates overwatch but idk when people started using it

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

NihilCredo posted:

Nerd question: when​/why did "pick" become the new word for "kill" (or "frag" if you're old school)?
I've always thought of a "pick" as an early kill. Like you picked one of them off so now you have the advantage.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
pick is more of an objective based team game kill term whereas frag is just a deathmatch term

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Pick is easier to say than Entry Frag

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Reapers can be more ballsy and I certainly did playing him earlier, but people panic when taking damage and knowing when you can sustain your way through a fight and when you'll die is a fine, fine line.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
"Pick" is as obnoxious as "toons". I zone out when people start throwing it around.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Has anyone noticed people not picking a hero in 3v3? I did all my arcade matches this weekend and in nearly every match at least one of my teammates refused to pick a hero. If I asked why they didn't pick they almost all became jerks about it. Despite all that bullshit I went on an 8 game win streak in 3s.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sometimes people select a hero but don't lock it in for whatever reason. They'll get whatever hero they have highlighted when the round starts

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Yeah, I'm guilty of doing it myself all the time. I usually pick last to help fill in whatever role the other two people didn't, so when it's obvious they're just slam picking whatever I don't bother hitting the confirm button sometimes and just have Zen selected on my screen for example

It's still a dumb thing to do though and I've been trying to stop. Yeah you're leaving your teammates in the dark until the match starts, but more importantly if someone else picks that character the game throws you on a random hero that you probably won't have wanted to play.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I zone out when people say "toxic" "cancer" "aids" "easy" "ez" "throwing" "comp" "harambe"

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
so youre playing overwatch to enter a fugue state?

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
I always thought the term pick came from normal sports, where a pick is a play that's used to remove a defender from their position so you can have an open play. In that sense it might be better used to mean "zoning", but since you can murder dudes in overwatch or cs or whatever a pick is an entry kill that allows the offense an advantage in engaging. In CS, playing for picks is playing relatively passively on offense while trying to punish overly aggressive defenders. You play for picks, then once you get the pick you apply pressure, either to the bombsite where the pick was made or to the other bombsite if you think that the other team will over rotate. CS is a much more stationary game where the tactics are somewhat clearer, and mindgames are more important even at a lower level.

In OW, a pick is a kill that is used to initiate an engagement on beneficial grounds for the offense. Picking a lynchpin defender like a widow getting an opening headshot on a support allows the offense to engage in a 6v5, negating some of the defenders advantage.

The phrase pick might also be shortened from "picking off".

Really though a pick shouldn't be the same as a frag-- a pick is a specific type of frag, if you want to get anal about it.

edit: notably, in basketball where picks/screens are common, the advantage window to score is only a second or two, whereas team fights in overwatch are significantly longer. A 2 second zone out on a player is unlikely to be advantageous in most situations, but the 20-30s downtime from dying and respawning is likely to be critical.

The Blue Caboose fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 3, 2017

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

The Blue Caboose posted:

Really though a pick shouldn't be the same as a frag-- a pick is a specific type of frag, if you want to get anal about it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I don't dispute that it comes from a place of reason and is meaningfully different from killing a dude, but 99.99% of all pubbies systematically replace "kill" with "pick" because they heard some streamer say it.

Overwatch: pick yourself you loving sniper

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 3, 2017

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I haven't been able to play overwatch for about 2 months. Come back and decide what the hell, let's piss around with winston in quick play. I normally play Reinhardt because aiming is tough, so winston is par for the course.

Oh my god he's amazing. I don't know if changes to him or other characters have made him much more viable but I'm zapping people and getting hilarious POTG's and gold damage so often. I'm in love with his mobility. I guess on quick play there's a much higher % of people playing squishy 200hp heroes but still!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Please only refer to a "frag" in the case of junkrat attacking an unaware enemy.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I haven't been able to play overwatch for about 2 months. Come back and decide what the hell, let's piss around with winston in quick play. I normally play Reinhardt because aiming is tough, so winston is par for the course.

Oh my god he's amazing. I don't know if changes to him or other characters have made him much more viable but I'm zapping people and getting hilarious POTG's and gold damage so often. I'm in love with his mobility. I guess on quick play there's a much higher % of people playing squishy 200hp heroes but still!

The number of simultaneous widow/hanzo teams (with a dash of genji) in qp has only gone up.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Blue Caboose posted:

I always thought the term pick came from normal sports, where a pick is a play that's used to remove a defender from their position so you can have an open play. In that sense it might be better used to mean "zoning", but since you can murder dudes in overwatch or cs or whatever a pick is an entry kill that allows the offense an advantage in engaging. In CS, playing for picks is playing relatively passively on offense while trying to punish overly aggressive defenders. You play for picks, then once you get the pick you apply pressure, either to the bombsite where the pick was made or to the other bombsite if you think that the other team will over rotate. CS is a much more stationary game where the tactics are somewhat clearer, and mindgames are more important even at a lower level.

In OW, a pick is a kill that is used to initiate an engagement on beneficial grounds for the offense. Picking a lynchpin defender like a widow getting an opening headshot on a support allows the offense to engage in a 6v5, negating some of the defenders advantage.

edit: notably, in basketball where picks/screens are common, the advantage window to score is only a second or two, whereas team fights in overwatch are significantly longer. A 2 second zone out on a player is unlikely to be advantageous in most situations, but the 20-30s downtime from dying and respawning is likely to be critical.

It is, but in games of video people just use a word incorrectly over and over until it loses all meaning.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yep probably getting Doomfist soon. And he probably going to be a Talon member as well.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/882253926044663808

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Next hero confirmed to be a bad cop Helix Security Agent. Doomfist never.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I'm a little hopeful we get the omnic doomfist and not the criminal one but at this point I doubt it

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well I mean
"However, after recent events in Numbani, it can now be confirmed that what occurred was an attack by the Talon organization with the express purpose of freeing one man: Akande Ogundimu, better known as Doomfist."

Doesn't sound like an omnic in any way.

If you don't know what Helix is it's Pharah's company. They also mention the incident from her comic with the Anubis A.I.

Also
"Helix officials have been unwilling to reveal whether or not there were additional escapees or items taken from the facility, but sources have indicated that it is likely that there were further security breaches in addition to Ogundimu."

Reaper broke Hammond out of evil space ape jail confirmed :smug:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Reaper broke Hammond out of evil space ape jail confirmed :smug:

That reminds me, it IS kinda weird how the new map was released without fanfare. I mean we know that moon colony is full of space gorillas, and there's no sign of them.

WHERE ARE THE SPACE GORILLAS JEFF

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well it's probably kind of like how you don't actually see the Shambali omnics running away from your machine guns and rockets when you play on the Nepal map, they have all been conveniently evacuated prior to all the idiots descending to destroy their home. Also "the game isn't canon" or w/e

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

turtlecrunch posted:

Well it's probably kind of like how you don't actually see the Shambali omnics running away from your machine guns and rockets when you play on the Nepal map, they have all been conveniently evacuated prior to all the idiots descending to destroy their home. Also "the game isn't canon" or w/e

They should make Zenyatta out of whatever that indestructible robot matre'de is made from on that Oasis map.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

turtlecrunch posted:

I just assumed the torbs and zaryas of the world massacred all the shambali and Zen is the last of his kind but doesn't resent his friends for making him an orphan of his people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Christ hog is terrible now.