Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I tried Automata and was using a mouse/keyboard and I couldn't understand the controls, it just felt like I should not be playing it with a keyboard so I refunded it :/

I am looking for a new game (solo) to purchase but I can't figure out what I want, but have figured out what I don't want and maybe you guys can help me pick?

Don't like:
-Rogue style games
-Games designed for controllers
-Horror games
-2d games
-racing games
-Turn based strategy
- tower defense games
-hunting games
-RTS

I just want to play a new fun game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
Probably been asked here before, but...is the Steam Controller worthwhile? I'm kind of on the fence at the sale price point.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Blues Hammer posted:

Probably been asked here before, but...is the Steam Controller worthwhile? I'm kind of on the fence at the sale price point.

No, try and get a cheap 360 pad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No, try and get a cheap 360 pad.

Even better, get an xbone pad. You can get one for $40 new on Amazon and they're bound to be on sale for the gala of disappointments that is Prime Day. Plus pretty much every game nowadays supports them natively.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 3, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

fyallm posted:

I tried Automata and was using a mouse/keyboard and I couldn't understand the controls, it just felt like I should not be playing it with a keyboard so I refunded it :/

I am looking for a new game (solo) to purchase but I can't figure out what I want, but have figured out what I don't want and maybe you guys can help me pick?

Don't like:
-Rogue style games
-Horror games
-2d games
-racing games
-Turn based strategy
- tower defense games
-hunting games
-RTS

I was about to rec burnout paradise but well...
So far i can gather you want fpses, and i inagine youd enjoy something like painkiller black, the old prey, any of the half lifes if you hosed up last couple of decades and never played them (black mesa is imo better than hl1 so if you have played hl1 its still worth it).
The first mirrors edge is a cool experiment in first person platforming that usually goes for cheap and is different fast and dependant on good execution. Quake 1 is still good but lacks soundtrack on steam. Cloudbuilt is a speedrunner platformer in 3d based on execution too. Talos is a puzzler and one with pretty good themes. People vouch for wolfenstein TNO but i havent played it. Shadow warrior for blazing fast fps combat. Zeno clash for insane fps melee.
Vampire the masquerade bloodlines is a pretty good semi open wrpg drawing from tabletop character building. All the deus exes. System shock 2.

Having trouble thinking of many other genres umm, nothing 2d makes it hard, do you mean strictly platformers?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

raditts posted:

Even better, get an xbone pad. You can get one for $40 new on Amazon and they're bound to be on sale for the gala of disappointments that is Prime Day. Plus pretty much every game nowadays supports them natively.

That. Didn't realize they were cheaper than $60, that's the only reason I didn't say elsewise. That said, if the XBone pad and the DS4 end up the same price, get the DS4!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

ArfJason posted:

I was about to rec burnout paradise but well...
So far i can gather you want fpses, and i inagine youd enjoy something like painkiller black, the old prey, any of the half lifes if you hosed up last couple of decades and never played them (black mesa is imo better than hl1 so if you have played hl1 its still worth it).
The first mirrors edge is a cool experiment in first person platforming that usually goes for cheap and is different fast and dependant on good execution. Quake 1 is still good but lacks soundtrack on steam. Cloudbuilt is a speedrunner platformer in 3d based on execution too. Talos is a puzzler and one with pretty good themes. People vouch for wolfenstein TNO but i havent played it. Shadow warrior for blazing fast fps combat. Zeno clash for insane fps melee.
Vampire the masquerade bloodlines is a pretty good semi open wrpg drawing from tabletop character building. All the deus exes. System shock 2.

Having trouble thinking of many other genres umm, nothing 2d makes it hard, do you mean strictly platformers?

Yeah I finished the half life's. I played mirrors edge and it was fun and definitely different, I have played quake lots and lots. Cloudbuilt looks pretty cool! I should of included puzzlers in the no go category Talos doesn't look like its for me. I will look into wolfenstein TNO, I played the original wolfenstein forever ago. Also I should of mentioned something with decent graphics (zeno clash is too blocky?) vampire looks a little to old same with pain killer black

I just threw 2d in the no go bucket because outside of hotline miami I haven't really seen any I would like, but if you have a recommendation in mind I will take it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Have you looked at Prey?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

verbal enema posted:

Tides of Numeria y/n

I love the old Planescape

I was not a fan but I didn't give it nearly enough time (maybe 2-3 hours) to have any reasonable basis for my opinion. It's very wordy - moreso than I remember Planescape being, and definitely more than PoE. And I felt like the player's introduction to the setting didn't flow as well as it did in Planescape, which is a problem because the setting is so alien and plays heavily into the gameplay mechanics.

It looks nice though, and I really liked the character creation system(gimmick) they used. Honestly I'd probably wait for a more informed opinion than mine to base your decision off of. :v:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

Have you looked at Prey?

I just barely glanced at it but it seemed to kinda fall into the 'horror' genre a bit. I will go watch some more videos on it now.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

kater posted:

new wave metroidwhatevers

NewWaveRogueTroidVania.

There we go.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Actually do consider buying IS Defense, it's a surprisingly well-made endless defense game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

fyallm posted:

Don't like:
-Rogue style games
-Horror games
-2d games
-racing games
-Turn based strategy
- tower defense games
-hunting games
-RTS

Do you want a new game or a game that's new to you? I bought the Infinity Engine EE games this sale and I'm already half through Baldur's Gate and it's excellent. I don't see RPGs in your list of things you don't like! This is my first time playing BG and it holds up very well for a 19 yr old game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hey, by the way, if any of ya'll actually care about Steam XP and badges and poo poo, completing all of your sticker book scenes gets you a second badge.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Wildtortilla posted:

Do you want a new game or a game that's new to you? I bought the Infinity Engine EE games this sale and I'm already half through Baldur's Gate and it's excellent. I don't see RPGs in your list of things you don't like! This is my first time playing BG and it holds up very well for a 19 yr old game.

It doesn't have to be like 2017 new, but I am not a fan of the really old graphics.. I bought the RARE Bundle on my xbox and couldn't even play some of the older games I loved just because of how bad I thought they looked.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Blattdorf posted:

Actually do consider buying IS Defense, it's a surprisingly well-made endless defense game.
Is supporting every single goddamned neo-nazi part of the MAGA code?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Arkham games were designed with controllers in mind but i recall they controlled fine with kbm and they still look real decent today. Bionic commando 2k9 was designed for controller but controls BETTER with mkb for aiming the grappling hook and looks impressive at times for such an old game.
Vanquish too, which can go pretty fast gicen the slide. If you havent played either of the max paynes you hosed up real bad, and imo 2 still looks fine. Dont know about 3 but it looks fine.
Dont dismiss painkiller black becaude it has some of the most satisfying weapons in history.
If you havent played fear 1 you DEFINITELY hosed UP and while it might look dated you absolutely must loving play it. No excuses. Not for First Encounter Assault Recon.

As for 2d games, rayman legends is one of the best platformers ever made and has a gorgeois artstyle. Guacamelee has a pretty good mexican day of the dead style and is a pretty fun but ridiculously easy game.
Ill have to get home and think and pace about 2d games.
I dont know if youll like city builders, but if simcity 3000 is in there, its godly. I was told 4 is better and city skylines even more so, nut i havent played them.

Also i implore you look past racing games preconceptions and give burnout paradise a try. It does everythong in its power to make you feel good, and the speed is real good.
I really liked sonic generations btw, which is also about going really fast and imo its one of the most gorgeous games of last generation.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

fyallm posted:

Don't like:
-Rogue style games
-Horror games
-2d games
-racing games
-Turn based strategy
- tower defense games
-hunting games
-RTS

How about puzzle games? All the Zachtronics games are really good. Alternatively, Lovely Planet doesn't seem to hit any of those. Or maybe the a good sim, like Tropico 3/4/5 or Cities: Skylines? Kerbal space program is good if you haven't picked it up yet.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, if you haven't played the first FEAR then do that. Ignore the lovely sequels and expansions, but that base game is still some of the best shooting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, if you haven't played the first FEAR then do that. Ignore the lovely sequels and expansions, but that base game is still some of the best shooting.

Booted it up a few weeks ago for the first time. Beyond the power trip of abundant bullet time, the AI immediately impressed me.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

One of the expansions is really bad, and the other is really good, even managing to get me to get that funny tingling jolt twice from some of its scares, unlike the base game which has literal skeletons pop out of blood

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Can also throw dishonored to the list since its going stupidly cheap, as is shadows of mordor

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

ArfJason posted:

Arkham games were designed with controllers in mind but i recall they controlled fine with kbm and they still look real decent today. Bionic commando 2k9 was designed for controller but controls BETTER with mkb for aiming the grappling hook and looks impressive at times for such an old game.
Vanquish too, which can go pretty fast gicen the slide. If you havent played either of the max paynes you hosed up real bad, and imo 2 still looks fine. Dont know about 3 but it looks fine.
Dont dismiss painkiller black becaude it has some of the most satisfying weapons in history.
If you havent played fear 1 you DEFINITELY hosed UP and while it might look dated you absolutely must loving play it. No excuses. Not for First Encounter Assault Recon.

As for 2d games, rayman legends is one of the best platformers ever made and has a gorgeois artstyle. Guacamelee has a pretty good mexican day of the dead style and is a pretty fun but ridiculously easy game.
Ill have to get home and think and pace about 2d games.
I dont know if youll like city builders, but if simcity 3000 is in there, its godly. I was told 4 is better and city skylines even more so, nut i havent played them.

Also i implore you look past racing games preconceptions and give burnout paradise a try. It does everythong in its power to make you feel good, and the speed is real good.
I really liked sonic generations btw, which is also about going really fast and imo its one of the most gorgeous games of last generation.

I played the arkham games on my xbox and they were fun. Fear falls into the looks old and is a horror game.

Rayman is a really fun game my wife and I play together all the time. Eh, I got enough citybuilders from simcity like 15 years ago...

I will take a look at dishonored and shadows of mordor..

Cloudbuilt is fun as gently caress, and I am absolutely terrible at it, haha thanks for that one!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

fyallm posted:

Fear falls into the looks old and is a horror game.

You are missing out in possibly the best shotgun in any videogame ever made, and one of the best shooters, like no joke, top 3 ever made. They took inspiration from jon woo movies for the slo-mo having poo poo flying all over the place and sparks and oh my god just trust me on this one ok

e:cloudbuilt is real good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
oh poo poo FEAR is 10 bucks? really? I still argue its absolutely loving worth every goddamn cent but if its already scored some negative points on your book, id say hold out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The creators explicitly wanted to create a horror experience with FEAR. It fails at that for many people, but I wouldn't push it at someone that doesn't want that kind of thing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
FEAR is also really good when you do the cheat for larger slomo bar 20 times

Flying kicking people over poo poo never is old nor is nailing a dude to the ceiling

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Rinkles posted:

The creators explicitly wanted to create a horror experience with FEAR. It fails at that for many people, but I wouldn't push it at someone that doesn't want that kind of thing.

the horror is definitely the weakest part of fear, but i think its a shame people will miss out on easily one of the sickest loving bullet time games in history because of the horror, but it is what it is, and you are correct.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
GRENADE BOOM AHH AHHHH TINK TINK TINK

that's kinda how it sounds and goes it's a good game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

verbal enema posted:

FEAR is also really good when you do the cheat for larger slomo bar 20 times

Flying kicking people over poo poo never is old nor is nailing a dude to the ceiling

the person who decided grenades should explode on impact against enemies or you can detonate them in bullet time by shooting them in the air should be retroactively given like every goddamn nobel prize

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
FEAR isn't scary unless you have a phobia of stupid little girls. But it's an AMAZING action game. And your reluctance based on slightly dated visuals is ridiculous and you're missing out on absolutely fantastic games that "they don't make 'em like they used to."

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Some random examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV, STALKER series.

A lot of good examples have been provided already, but I didn't see those chumps list:

Transistor (and likely Pyre when that comes out, as it's the same sweet duo from Bastion/Transistor): http://youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU
Dungeonmans: https://overclockedrecords.com/release/dungeonmans-ost/
Crypt of the Necrodancer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fvyXOXbi8kE (yes this was already listed but I am listing again because it's so good)
Aquaria: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wQWJBaWqIVA
Before the Echo (Previously Sequence - Ronald Jenkees goodness): http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2WYrfSvtI

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That. Didn't realize they were cheaper than $60, that's the only reason I didn't say elsewise. That said, if the XBone pad and the DS4 end up the same price, get the DS4!

I tried the steam controller and I hate it. The button placement is too far from my thumbs.

As for the DS4, it's physically an awesome controller but support on the PC is a little janky. Steam's controller support helps a lot, but I've still run into some issues I had to work around by doing weird config stuff.
I recommend an Xbox controller simply because then everything natively supports it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The programmable touchpad makes the DS4 indispensable for me. Consider Skyrim on a pad but with 5 (or more) quick slots, and a quick save button.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Steam native support + DS4Windows generally means you can use the PS4 pad pain free. I think the PS4 remote desktop app also adds some sort of support for the bluetooth dongled controller?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've had nothing but trouble with Steam's own solution. DS4Windows has been great (with seamless Bluetooth support).

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Fuuuuuck, Dead Cells owns. Especially after the letdown of Salt and Sanctuary. This game is snappy, beautiful and fun. If you want a RogueTroidVania I strongly recommend it.
No....NO! I have $250 worth of games in my steam cart that I'm trying cut down and Dead Cells is in early access which means it's only going to get even more polished than it already is and have even more content added, if I wait to play it later. I am NOT getting Dead Cells this sale. No matter how many of these posts I read. Stop trying to make me!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Most keyed in on NEXT JUMP and StarCrawlers, if anyone has opinions on those.
StarCrawlers! Scratches my classic first person dungeon crawler itch exceptionally well.

fyallm posted:

Don't like:
-Rogue style games
-Horror games
-2d games
-racing games
-Turn based strategy
- tower defense games
-hunting games
-RTS

You're actually fairly close to my preferences.

Narrowing the genre's by removing all the stuff from your list I would say you should check out popular First Person Shooters and Third person, and Isometric Action RPG's. And if you like multiplayer you can also include whatever is good from that.

First person and Isometric games especially are almost always m+kb friendly.

Also when you say you don't like horror games do you mean stuff like Resident Evil or Outlast, or just any game with remotely horror elements? A lot of good games aren't straight horror, but do have stuff like monsters, ghosts, and demons as enemies, if you don't like anything like that you're going to be even more limited but you'll still have some options.

Anyway, here's a list of stuff so you can see if anything jumps out at you...

Check out
Bioshock series
Borderlands series
Fallout series
Dishonored
The Witcher series
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Far Cry series + Blood Dragon
Crysis series
Metro series
Shadow Warrior I/II
Hitman: Blood Money / Season 1
Mass Effect series
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Just Cause series
Splinter Cell series
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Alpha Protocol
Aragami
Risen 3
Rage
Wolfenstein: TNO/TOB
Hand of Fate
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Call of Duty games
Sniper Elite 3 or 4
Singularity
Torchlight I/II
Victor Vran
Van Helsing
Portal I/II
Talos Principle
The Turing Test

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 3, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Can I just thank everyone who hyped up (heh) Hyper Light Drifter because it is really, really good and probably the best 2d action game I've played in a long, long time. The combat feels so good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just get Dead Cells. It's an amazing game so far and you won't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just get Dead Cells. It's an amazing game so far and you won't regret it.
lol, I hate all of you. :negative:

• Locked thread