Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

I'm going to ask a question that a whole lot of Clintonites have asked before, because apparently I don't know the answer either

what does "progressive" even loving mean anymore jesus

compassionate conservatism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

The democratic party was at the height of its power when it was the farthest left it ever was and would be. Like more powerful than the current GOP + a president who didn't have brain holes. Anyone who thinks centrism hasn't totally crippled the democratic partys ability to gain power has brain problems.

When was this?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

I'm going to ask a question that a whole lot of Clintonites have asked before, because apparently I don't know the answer either

it means a return to FDR style social safety nets, public spending on things for the common good such as infrastructure, redistribution of weath and TR style monopoly busting.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

loquacius posted:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

loquacius posted:

well about a year ago it meant "actually left" but now corporatists have taken it to pretend they're actually on the left

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

logikv9 posted:

if the voters in Iowa and NH are that brain-damaged to vote for Zuckerberg then it's pretty clear that democracy... was a mistake

WOW tough 2 imagine voters in iowa and new hampshire picking an absolute dumbfuck dirtbag shitheap. would be a truly shocking turn

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

loquacius posted:

It hasn't had a well-defined meaning in 70 years.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the campaign trail in 2019 Clinton will tell a crowd she takes a backseat to no one when it comes to being a leftist.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The notion of "progress" has no meaning in the absence of an ideological vision. Democrats are taking reactionary positions now because they already think we're in the end of history, and nothing could be better than the framework they already established in the 90s.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I think America is doing fine .. the flowers still smell pretty, the birds sing etc. my motto: be kind to thy neighbor

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

On the campaign trail in 2019 Clinton will tell a crowd she takes a backseat to no one when it comes to being a leftist.

By the time the 2020 primaries actually begin nothing will make you persona non grata more quickly in certain circles than attempting to claim that Hillary Clinton is not a Marxist

Serf
May 5, 2011

all progress is towards utopia

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

I think America is doing fine .. the flowers still smell pretty, the birds sing etc. my motto: be kind to thy neighbor

just wait, soon the bees will all die and that'll put a stop to this crap

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The notion of "progress" has no meaning in the absence of an ideological vision. Democrats are taking reactionary positions now because they already think we're in the end of history, and nothing could be better than the framework they already established in the 90s.

That's true.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Democrats are taking reactionary positions now because they already think we're in the end of history, and nothing could be better than the framework they already established in the 90s.

Yeah, how about that "End of History" stuff huh guys?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

eh even as recently as 2008 there was some honest mainstream representation of it as the policies which etalian said. like in the 08 primary even the baddest of bad dems were frank that obama was more progressive than hillary, but neither were very progressive on the historical dem spectrum (but of course this was necessary pragmatic because w was so far right recession overton window adults in the room etc)

that frankness disappeared in the 12 election when obama had lost all progressive policy trappings which shouldve prepared me for hillary goddamn clinton of all people being packaged and sold as a progressive but drat was it still shocking. by then progressive just meant correct as defined by what is currently in the interests of team dnc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"progressive" has looped back around and it's now all about eugenics and reordering europe again

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Democratic voters are stalwart progressives!

*Progressive candidates lose VA and NJ governor primaries, fail in Georgia, can't pass single payer in Calofirnia

thats not even remotely accurate, it appears that you have a poor grasp of these events

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

"progressive" has looped back around and it's now all about eugenics and reordering europe again

horseshoe theory at work

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
a goldman sachs exec won nj because he poured a shitload of money into the election while everyone else were nobodies not endorsed by anyone in the party in a state where half of the state and local taxes are paid via goldman sachs execs owning houses

also three progressives ran against one centrist

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my understanding is that progressive now means willing to compromise on abortion rights

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Joementum posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

New Jersey direct aggressive behavior is occasionally amazing

https://twitter.com/_Hetrick/status/881968870009044992

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

To add to that, we need to stop measuring things like the president's "approval ratings". It's dumb as poo poo and doesn't mean anything, and bad dems are parading it around like a 35% approval is guaranteed to win them all the mid term races on a silver platter.

Trump's approval could be 1% among republicans, but it doesn't mean anything unless we start asking them "Has Trump hosed up so much that you're willing to vote for a democrat instead?"

i absolutely hate this poo poo. how does anyone pretend that asking "do you think the president is doing a good job" gives any sort of idea as to what people think. it's a perfect framing device to obscure any actual understanding or opinions on the part of citizens and pretends the only possible opinions are republican and democrat

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

i absolutely hate this poo poo. how does anyone pretend that asking "do you think the president is doing a good job" gives any sort of idea as to what people think. it's a perfect framing device to obscure any actual understanding or opinions on the part of citizens and pretends the only possible opinions are republican and democrat

it also leads to poo poo like "obama has high approval ratings, so we should run on preserving his legacy" and "obama has high approval ratings, ergo he's a key part of retaking power"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

radical meme posted:

When was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjSTQwamo8M

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh Snapple! posted:

it also leads to poo poo like "obama has high approval ratings, so we should run on preserving his legacy" and "obama has high approval ratings, ergo he's a key part of retaking power"

Obama has low ratings, let's abandon our own platform and lose

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

obama used his popularity to endorse a guy who's currently trying to slash worker rights. also said guy sighs wistfully when thinking about the age of kings

thanks obama

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

quote:

They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.
Bad HillDems argue that organized mobs of people prove that the election was stolen (popular vote) while also being beholden to organized money.

:thunk:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/sensanders/status/881882978061864960

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

even his pragmatic plans are farther left than hillary's campaign promises

i wonder if hillary would've pulled a macron upon entering office. would she be bipartisanly working on a federal RTW? only baddems know how far-right they'll go

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Condiv posted:

even his pragmatic plans are farther left than hillary's campaign promises

didnt you read the twitter responses? this is exactly mi abuelas healthcare plan that bernie is stealing, once again a man taking credit for the work of a woman, also hes coming around to it now because hes just realized how complicated healthcare is, being a political neophyte who lacks hillary's many decades of policy experience

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie's always been willing to compromise. After all, he voted for Obamacare, unlike Hillary.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why do they call it "Right to Work"?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Did you know fdr had money and used money? Sounds like you are a hypocrite now :smuggo:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why do they call it "Right to Work"?

because its cynically constructed title designed to invoke American values

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Litzz11/status/881932888018751488

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hillary Clinton being elected president.

More 👏 black 👏 men 👏 in 👏 the 👏 white 👏 house 👏

Rand alPaul posted:

This shithead was just on MSNBC saying that the Democrats are going to win in 2020 because there are enough moderate Republicans "who lost respect for Trump" to vote Democrat.

it's like Lucy and the football, except the dems are Lucy and the rest of us are charlie brown

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

who would pigpen be in this analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

UHD posted:

who would pigpen be in this analogy

steve bannon

• Locked thread