Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Focus is definitely a crutch that I had to learn to live without when I got stuck on Soul Master. Once I weaned myself off it and started abusing some of the charm combos it was smooth sailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The blue charms makes bosses sort of trivial imo

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

myDad posted:

The blue charms makes bosses sort of trivial imo

I'm sure blue charms wont save you from the terror that is Dream Zote.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm hoping Dream Zote is genuinely incredibly difficult.

But the other option would be great, too. I guess what I'm saying is I really trust the developers of this game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm hoping Dream Zote is genuinely incredibly difficult.

But the other option would be great, too. I guess what I'm saying is I really trust the developers of this game.

Dream Zote is probably what he imagines himself to be. So that might be a tough one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So George posted that they had sold 130k units a couple weeks before the sale started, Steamspy confirms this number then and now showing they have 320k units sold. Glad they're doing pretty drat good with 250% increase

After Valve gets their cut (30%), that's about 2.7 million in their pockets, pretty good for a team of 3 (?)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hollow knight 2????

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So, in 2016-2017, just in the Metroidvania genre, I've replayed Symphony of the Night, played Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Castle in the Darkness, Guacamelee, and Ori and the Blind Forest (and watched an LP of Axiom Verge). Initially, I was hesitant to get yet another Metroidvania just because they all end up being variations on "Start with nothing, oh now you have double jump, now you have ground pound, now you have air dash, here's 1000 collectibles and two to four endings." Sure, Guacamelee has a humorous spin on Latin American culture, and Ori is very pretty and all that, and they all bring a special sauce to the table, but I was feeling a littttle burnt out on the genre standard gameplay loop.

I'm glad I listened to the word of mouth and bought this game anyway! I really enjoy it!

I think it benefits a lot from a charming art style, great (gibberish) voice acting, great music, and a really interesting world to explore. Guacamelee and Ori all have unique art styles, but their worlds didn't hook me like Hollow Knight. The comparisons to Dark Souls are apt in that it has that "Explore a dead civilization and piece clues together about its life and death" vibe that I love.

Also, I think the combat is more fun than many others in the genre. Guacamelee was an interesting mix of Metroidvania and beat-em-up but it had like 5 enemies it reused 2700 times. I like the mix of swordplay and magic in HK and I think the Colosseum really highlights the varied enemy design and combat styles (with various charm loadouts supporting players who prefer swordplay and damage races, players who like magic, and players who suck at fast fighting gameplay like me).

I also appreciate how non-linear HK can be past a certain point. I think once I got the air dash and Mantis Claw, I got Double Jump, Crystal Heart, Shadow Dash, Desolate Dive in a weird order, and I didn't discover the Abyss until I'd already maxed out my weapon. I also found a boss in the starting area that I somehow completely missed (the Mawlek one) and styled on at max-power. This game is loving huge.

So, if you're lurking this thread and on the fence, let me add to the chorus that says this is a best in class Metroidvania and definitely a contender for GOTY for me already. Honestly, the only thing missing for me personally is character customization. If that Mask Maker could create cosmetic changes to your character, I would be in heaven (and have something to do with all this money I'm hoarding).

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I started playing Ori and the Blind Forest recently, and one thing I had in mind going into it was this article which I completely disagree with.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/02/hollow-knight-review/

Ori is great but the combat is so different and I vastly prefer Hollow Knight's combat, art style, and enemy design. It's crazy that their review is basically "Ori did everything better".

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I find Ori to be surprisingly overrated so yeah, I think that review really missed what makes hollow knight great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ori is good, but Hollow Knight is far better in every way except maybe the platforming.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi. I don't really know how to progress. Can someone give me a hint or two? I've entered fog canyon and the fungal ... grounds? I have a map for the fungus place and I've seen most of it you can get to from greenpath, but no map for fog canyon.

I've killed all the bosses I've seen, two bugs that chuck mini-rolling bugs at you, two mushroom guys that chuck fire at you, the lady in greenpath, and various bosses earlier. I've tried to buy whatever I can afford. I've unlocked 5 slots, got no extra weapons, and notably(?) I have the shaman and longer-sword talisman things, and the dash-jump. What I find blocking me in a couple of places is black liquid that bounces me back.. Can anyone tell me where to go next?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Explore the Fungus area until you find the Mantis village. That will get you back on track.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

redreader posted:

Hi. I don't really know how to progress. Can someone give me a hint or two? I've entered fog canyon and the fungal ... grounds? I have a map for the fungus place and I've seen most of it you can get to from greenpath, but no map for fog canyon.

I've killed all the bosses I've seen, two bugs that chuck mini-rolling bugs at you, two mushroom guys that chuck fire at you, the lady in greenpath, and various bosses earlier. I've tried to buy whatever I can afford. I've unlocked 5 slots, got no extra weapons, and notably(?) I have the shaman and longer-sword talisman things, and the dash-jump. What I find blocking me in a couple of places is black liquid that bounces me back.. Can anyone tell me where to go next?

You have 3 obviously routes. Very minor to no spoilers but just route information that I spoiled just incase

- Listen to dishwasherlove, it's pretty obvious that will take you to a spot

- Buy lamp from shop (assuming you found him, in Crossroads) head right of Crossroads to Crystal Peak (you should see one entrance with a miner bug singing, you want the room below that that's all dark iirc)

- Go to City of Tears (use City Crest in Fungal Wastes to head right). Find the Nail shop for nail upgrade smith, and defeat a boss somewhere here important movement (breaks soft-ground) ability. You can split off and go through the sewers or go backup to 2 afterwards.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 4, 2017

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Also a lot of people get stuck in one of the fungus areas because it's not immediately obvious that you can jump/downslash on purple mushrooms to bounce super high so maybe that's limiting you

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mover posted:

Also a lot of people get stuck in one of the fungus areas because it's not immediately obvious that you can jump/downslash on purple mushrooms to bounce super high so maybe that's limiting you
Anyone that doesn't go around slashing everything with the nail all the time deserves to get stuck.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Got the acid-protection upgrade & found the Queen's Garden. Looks like the black beam upgrade is the last one before I finish up.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Xaris posted:

You have 3 obviously routes. Very minor to no spoilers but just route information that I spoiled just incase

- Listen to dishwasherlove, it's pretty obvious that will take you to a spot
did that bit, it helped a bit and I explored more areas but am again stuck

- Buy lamp from shop (assuming you found him, in Crossroads) head right of Crossroads to Crystal Peak (you should see one entrance with a miner bug singing, you want the room below that that's all dark iirc)
Too much money, will do when I can

- Go to City of Tears (use City Crest in Fungal Wastes to head right). Find the Nail shop for nail upgrade smith, and defeat a boss somewhere here important movement (breaks soft-ground) ability. You can split off and go through the sewers or go backup to 2 afterwards.
Aha. I have the crest, I need to figure out where/how to do this.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Actually for route 3 You can't do that until you finish route 1. Basically you are missing a very important area in Fungal wastes that you absolutely need to go to before you can go just about anywhere else. There is a path you aren't finding in the wastes. Once you do what you need to do in the wastes then the game opens up and you can go lots of places.

For some more details and possible small spoilers (why you need to go to the wastes):
In the mantis village which is near the end of the wastes you get the wall jump. You need that to get through the platforming puzzle that takes you to the main gate of the city which you can open with the crest (route 3). There are other ways into the city but for your first time through they will be very difficult to find. Also it's been a while but I believe you need wall jump for crystal peak as well or you wont be able to get around in there.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

gosh, I learned a lot from the Speedrun. Didn't even realize you could just walk away from False Knight lol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ambivalent posted:

gosh, I learned a lot from the Speedrun. Didn't even realize you could just walk away from False Knight lol

Yup. I'm honestly unsure why that's in the game. It seems like it's a setup for a pacifist run but I don't think that's actually possible.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pigbuster posted:

Yup. I'm honestly unsure why that's in the game. It seems like it's a setup for a pacifist run but I don't think that's actually possible.

It isn't possible. Probably just for speedruns so you can just fight him to get Vengeful Spirit (mandatory) but don't have to beat him to get his drop (non-mandatory).

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The devs seem to like little secrets like that in general, I really. I had no idea you could drop a chandelier on the watcher knights until I watched the speedrun.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, part of what I like about this game is the little things like that. It makes it really obvious that it was a labor of love.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

The devs seem to like little secrets like that in general, I really. I had no idea you could drop a chandelier on the watcher knights until I watched the speedrun.

you can WHAT?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

you can WHAT?

There's a breakable ceiling right before the boss room that leads to a chandelier you can drop on one of the knights so you only need to fight 5 instead of 6.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Wow I didn't know you could fit more charms in than you have notches by just mashing on the charm until you jam it in.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pigbuster posted:

It's so, so achingly close, but alas, no.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

yergacheffe posted:

Wow I didn't know you could fit more charms in than you have notches by just mashing on the charm until you jam it in.

You can but there's a penalty: you take double damage.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

yergacheffe posted:

That's amazing.

In spoilery boss stuff I beat four bosses today. Two really stuck out for me: flukewarm, which is an awesome name and made the otherwise mediocre royal sewers pretty cool, and mantis lords, who had a really cool song and were a fun fight. deepnest seems like it's going to be reeeeeeally hard.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

That's amazing.

In spoilery boss stuff I beat four bosses today. Two really stuck out for me: flukewarm, which is an awesome name and made the otherwise mediocre royal sewers pretty cool, and mantis lords, who had a really cool song and were a fun fight. deepnest seems like it's going to be reeeeeeally hard.

Did you fight the second sewer boss? If so, what did you think of him?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Did you fight the second sewer boss? If so, what did you think of him?

What fight was that? Dung Defender?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

myDad posted:

What fight was that? Dung Defender?

If that's him I fought him much earlier. My reaction to dying to that boss was i just died to a guy who threw poo poo at me. . I hadn't figured out everyone was a bug yet.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

ilmucche posted:

If that's him I fought him much earlier. My reaction to dying to that boss was i just died to a guy who threw poo poo at me. . I hadn't figured out everyone was a bug yet.

heh, it happens to everyone. I remember when I never rented Psychonauts a long time ago because I thought it was a game about ants called Psychonants

i mean Raz and Misha sorta looked like ants from Bugs Life right? :v:

also how are you supposed to find Hornet in Kingdom's Edge? I beat the game and went to almost every zone but I missed that fight entirely

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Desperate Character posted:

heh, it happens to everyone. I remember when I never rented Psychonauts a long time ago because I thought it was a game about ants called Psychonants

i mean Raz and Misha sorta looked like ants from Bugs Life right? :v:

also how are you supposed to find Hornet in Kingdom's Edge? I beat the game and went to almost every zone but I missed that fight entirely

She's not even hidden though? Like there's just one vertical passage in the open that requires a double jump.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Ugh, I forgot about going back after getting double jump, I got that ability right before fighting the first final boss. On my first playthrough I avoided the pit of spikes in City of Tears because I thought it was just for some geo. I also never got the upgraded Soul Spirit because I fought Soul Master first and forgot about the elegant key entirely.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Desperate Character posted:

Ugh, I forgot about going back after getting double jump, I got that ability right before fighting the first final boss. On my first playthrough I avoided the pit of spikes in City of Tears because I thought it was just for some geo. I also never got the upgraded Soul Spirit because I fought Soul Master first and forgot about the elegant key entirely.

I think we've played this game very differently. I don't even know where kingdom's edge is, and I've got loads of movement options.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

ilmucche posted:

I think we've played this game very differently. I don't even know where kingdom's edge is, and I've got loads of movement options.

Go to the right. All the way to the right. In the flooded king's station, at the bottom right flooded station platform, you can swim through a hidden tunnel, follow that til you reach the new area.,

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

It took me forever to find Kingdom's Edge, for whatever reason. I knew I had a bunch left to go because I had a bunch of missing stuff but it took me forever to even find Kingdom's Edge (I'd missed the Tram Pass)

As an aside note, inspired by GDQ, I looked up the guide and route for Any% Glitchless Run and managed to finish it in 2:37 :toot: Even with pretty precise explanation of the inputs, some of those skips/tricks are incredibly hard to pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took me way way too long to figure out what the hell to do after killing the first boss (the fly thing). I thought the False Knight's arena was the bug's arena on the map and kept walking away from it. :downs:

That's what I get for starting a new game right before going on vacation for five days!

quote:

Sure, Guacamelee has a humorous spin on Latin American culture, and Ori is very pretty and all that, and they all bring a special sauce to the table, but I was feeling a littttle burnt out on the genre standard gameplay loop.

Guacamelee's great. The combat's just a load of fun. So far Hollow Knight's combat feels pretty easy, but I think that's largely because it feels exactly like Rogue Legacy to me and I got to NG+4 in that.