Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I just like how it's been 3 days since the full set reveal and the pre-pre release and we're all in here chatting about old busted cards, reddit is on a token/alter binge and no one is giving a single gently caress about HOD. WotC have done the worst thing and made an utterly forgettable mediocre set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Sliver Queen is a 5c commander and I know there's several combos that can be done with her activated ability to generate heavy nonsense, so you might be underrating her slightly.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

AceClown posted:

I just like how it's been 3 days since the full set reveal and the pre-pre release and we're all in here chatting about old busted cards, reddit is on a token/alter binge and no one is giving a single gently caress about HOD. WotC have done the worst thing and made an utterly forgettable mediocre set.
Something Awful /= the entire Magic community. Just because you're not seeing it here specifically doesn't mean the people at my LGS aren't the most loving hyped for the set. Specifically, they enjoy the Commander stuff and are really jazzed for more cycling support.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Sliver Queen is a 5c commander and I know there's several combos that can be done with her activated ability to generate heavy nonsense, so you might be underrating her slightly.

Well, I included high-powered casual for a reason. There's lots of room for EDH decks with absurdly powerful effects and combos that aren't competitive.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

AceClown posted:

In another year we'll be not giving a gently caress about large sets.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

People aren't talking online any more.

The bans were a mistake.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

So D&T won the SCG invitational. SCG Modern classic has a fair amount of variety in their decks... Enduring Ideal top 16'd, only duplicates were 2 GB Tron and 2 Bant Eldrazi

I've been playing mono-white taxes for a while and the deck is surprisingly strong. I need to pick up a weathered wayfarer, I didn't realize that it could get nonbasics.

Crack ghost quarter -> hold priority, activate wayfarer -> grab another ghost quarter :twisted:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AceClown posted:

i'm mostly a limited player and get irrationally excited over commons but even the draft chaff is boring

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AceClown posted:

Hey man this set got me to pre-order (bad) cards for the first time in a long time.

Should probably pre-order Crucible Snake as well but eh, I don't know what I'd do with it yet.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm sincerely looking forward to forcing UR spells with stuff like Open Fire and Unsummon. :shobon:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Siivola posted:

I'm sincerely looking forward to forcing UR spells with stuff like Open Fire and Unsummon. :shobon:

Same. Janky as it might potentially be, I think it's time for Soul-Scar Mage to shine.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

Hey man this set got me to pre-order (bad) cards for the first time in a long time.

Should probably pre-order Crucible Snake as well but eh, I don't know what I'd do with it yet.

Play it in your animar deck.
Everyone has one of those right?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I am actually super pumped for Unsummon to be back so I can use my Revised copies again.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Oh man. I originally started back when every store had more lovely Fallen Empires packs than they knew what to do with, and I made so many terrible decks based around trying to get Ebon Praetor and Breeding Pit online.

Breeding Pit had cool art too:

Mega same, though I only had one Praetor

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Mega same, though I only had one Praetor

Only tryhards played more than 1 copy of anything. Unless they were lucky like me and opened TWO copies of Lord of the Pit and Breeding Pool.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

RE: EDH chat,

what around some of the higher-end meta commanders that people use these days?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Tournament results for Duel Commander

Otherwise, in regular commander on mtgo, it's Baral Polymorph, in paper, it's probably Oloro/Esper in general.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Carl Killer Miller posted:

RE: EDH chat,

what around some of the higher-end meta commanders that people use these days?

For multiplayer it's often stuff like Zur, Gitrog, Tasigur, Teferi, Thrasios & Buddy, Prossh, Arcum, Mimeoplasm, Jeleva etc. Generally fast-combo decks, stax/heavy control and storm. The fast-combo decks generally work off things like Doomsday, Ad Naus, Protean Hulk etc. If you really like playing dudes your best bet is something like Yisan or Selvala, Heart of the Wilds and winning with a creature combo.

EDIT: There's a lot more viable commanders than just that of course but it's mostly in that sort of vein. Sometimes you get commanders who would be unplayable jank in every other format (and in casual EDH too) but actually do stuff here. For example, Tazri Food Chain was a thing that got bandied about not so long ago. It's cool and weird.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 3, 2017

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

ZeroCount posted:

For multiplayer it's often stuff like Zur, Gitrog, Tasigur, Teferi, Thrasios & Buddy, Prossh, Arcum, Mimeoplasm, Jeleva etc. Generally fast-combo decks, stax/heavy control and storm. The fast-combo decks generally work off things like Doomsday, Ad Naus, Protean Hulk etc. If you really like playing dudes your best bet is something like Yisan or Selvala, Heart of the Wilds and winning with a creature combo.

EDIT: There's a lot more viable commanders than just that of course but it's mostly in that sort of vein. Sometimes you get commanders who would be unplayable jank in every other format (and in casual EDH too) but actually do stuff here. For example, Tazri Food Chain was a thing that got bandied about not so long ago. It's cool and weird.

Looking through these commander decks that already cost a ton of $$$, why do they include dual lands with drawbacks, instead of revised dual lands like taiga or something?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Misread the previous post

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Looking through these commander decks that already cost a ton of $$$, why do they include dual lands with drawbacks, instead of revised dual lands like taiga or something?

Reserve list cards are often the limiting factor in making an EDH deck "complete." Plus, it being a 100 card singleton format, having the absolute perfect mana base is far less important than just having all the right action cards. So, true duals are typically the last thing a person will get when building a deck.

Like, I have 9 "complete" EDH decks, but only two of them have their dual lands. And one of them is monocolored.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

You spend $70 on Mana Crypt because there is no substitute for that effect. You might not spend $70 on a Taiga for that same deck because you can mostly replace it with another land instead, even if it's slightly worse. Obviously if money was not a limiting factor you would run duals over / in addition to the others.

Then you have the duals with blue in them, which run from $150-$300 a pop.

EDIT: also, looking over some of the lists, many of the expensive ones do have their duals that cost <$100

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 3, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Actually the correct advice is to not play EDH

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Actually the correct advice is to not play MTG

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friends and I started playing millennium blades and it completely satisfies any and all desire to draft and open packs nowadays. There's even sweet chase cards like Chase the Price Sculptor.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I don't know if others are going to agree that its good but claim to fame is pretty legit so far in death shadow decks I am testing in 1 or 2 of. It gives you temur battle rage explosive damage with extra fun stuff with snappy.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

My friends and I started playing millennium blades and it completely satisfies any and all desire to draft and open packs nowadays. There's even sweet chase cards like Chase the Price Sculptor.
Grats for kicking the crack habit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

You're Saffron Olive?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No, I just have an annoying habit of speaking and an endearing affinity for bad decks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i love watching janky bad decks i just wish saffron had a voice that didn't hurt my ears

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait, is that a real card name in that?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

i love watching janky bad decks i just wish saffron had a voice that didn't hurt my ears

Me too, I have to watch his videos with headphones on because my partner hates his voice so much. She doesn't care about any other magic videos though and laughs at Cedric and LSV when I'm watching different events on the weekends. Saffron being super into his games is great though and I enjoy him even though his voice is horrible when he yells during a good top deck or match win.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Elyv posted:

Wait, is that a real card name in that?

Its better than that.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeeah his content is great, but he's nearly impossible to listen to

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Siivola posted:

No, I just have an annoying habit of speaking and an endearing affinity for bad decks.

Yeah, his Budget Magic column is maybe the only recurring piece of Magic content that I follow. Will also dip into the occasional Against the Odds or Instant Deck Tech if it looks interesting enough.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alris posted:

Its better than that.

the only thing i wish is it said price scalper

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Alris posted:

Its better than that.

This owns extremely hard.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

A fully optimized list will almost definitely include revised duals. An average manabase is essentially: every available dual -> every available fetch (including off color for shuffle) -> every available shock -> 5C lands like city of brass, command tower and tarnished citadel -> pain lands -> couple others like the orchards if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

another reason its obvious that commander is an inferior format? nowhere in that list of lands is the storage lands