Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Huh, nevermind apparently they were about to be super dumb, too. Hope neither MS nor Sony try that poo poo again next gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Unless something drastic happens I don't see either company pulling a stunt like that ever again. Even if people end up going mostly/all digital, it's extremely bad optics to be all "oh yeah and you have no right to sell that thing you bought." It works for iOS because most things are like a buck or less, and it works for steam because PC gaming is its own crazed monster of a business.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have no doubt that if a company things they can massage things in this direction, they'll readily do so.

They're more than likely planning to do so by steering the industry in an all digital direction.

Steam has already helped there, given everyone basically handed them a near monopoly on a silver platter, with Valve earning a "can do no wrong" reputation despite not really deserving it anymore.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Coolspaz posted:

I have a feeling I'm the only one who is excited for Splatoon 2

I'm more excited for Splatoon 2 than I am for Mario.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

wait.. what the gently caress happened to pocket fighter?

Pocket Fighter is the only thing I've ever kickstarted. They used to release updates monthly and after they got a build out with a few characters in it the update turned into "sorry we're not updating you that much we'll get it out eventually."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Physical media is on the way out for everything, games will follow suit eventually.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Pocket rumble you guys mean right?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

angel opportunity posted:

Pocket rumble you guys mean right?

Yeah, that thing. Made the same slip up. I mean don't get me wrong, what they put out was pretty neat but I totally expected for it to fall off the face of the earth until that little switch blurb.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
What's the update on the Miyamoto Perspiration Situation?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Commissar Ken posted:

Yeah, that thing. Made the same slip up. I mean don't get me wrong, what they put out was pretty neat but I totally expected for it to fall off the face of the earth until that little switch blurb.

Yeah im really hoping it comes out because it looks quite good

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Does anyone have a link to that website that tracks Switch shipments to Brick & Mortar stores? You could basically use a map to find stores near you and they would highlight stores that had stock. Tried googling but couldn't find this particular one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm more excited for Splatoon 2 than I am for Mario.

Me too, but possibly only because it's closer.

I think I have had more fun with Splatoon than any single Mario game though, at least since the 64.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
jet set radio HD & future ports for the switch when

actually, jet set radio exclusively for the switch when. GIVE US SOME ANSWERS SEGA

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Morby posted:

Huh, nevermind apparently they were about to be super dumb, too. Hope neither MS nor Sony try that poo poo again next gen.

its a fake article just like all the other pulled out of his rear end poo poo that guy posts

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Pablo Gigante posted:

Should be pronounced Spluh-toon tbh

Splezzz-tooz

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

woop woop

finally tried out ARMS ranked multiplayer last night and won my first game! also beat a couple of rank 4 people as a rank 1! Also got severly curbstomped by a 1 and a 2 so idk maybe I'm about as terrible at fighting games as I thought I was

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

iajanus posted:

woop woop

finally tried out ARMS ranked multiplayer last night and won my first game! also beat a couple of rank 4 people as a rank 1! Also got severly curbstomped by a 1 and a 2 so idk maybe I'm about as terrible at fighting games as I thought I was

Keep at it. Learning why you lost is half the fun imo.:thumbsup:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Only thing WiiU provides over Switch [currently] is the Miiverse.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Coolspaz posted:

I have a feeling I'm the only one who is excited for Splatoon 2

I'm excited but I don't believe they'll ever fix the inkbrush and make it viable for high level play.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it was viable if you can mash like Kenshiro can punch

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dizz posted:

Only thing WiiU provides over Switch [currently] is the Miiverse.

Are you trying to imply that dual-screen gaming is not the future?!

In all seriousness though, at least the Wii U has a virtual console. I'm secretly happy there's no VC on the Switch yet because I'd be spending so much goddamn money.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

spit on my clit posted:

jet set radio HD & future ports for the switch when

actually, jet set radio exclusively for the switch when. GIVE US SOME ANSWERS SEGA

Please don't tease me.
I'm already way more excited than I should be to be able to play JSRF on my Xbone.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is ARMS worth buying? I'm concerned that Splatoon 2 will eat its cake and the online will be dead within 4 months.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The switch is what the Wii U should have been. They had the genesis of a great idea in the Wii U gamepad. I liked off-screen play, but the 15 foot range made it kind of useless when what I wanted was to have the Wii U hooked up in the living room but also to be able to play it in bed. Which didn't work.

Also, people taking actual Wii U's on planes and plugging them in and playing on he gamepad proves that what consumers wanted all along was a console like the switch.

Sony got close with the vita, but after releasing one game for it, they turned over all future development rights to anime VN studios.

Switch. Perfect.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

if it comes out at all it'll be on the Nintendo Swiitch.

if this is your thing please clamp down on sharing it too much because, while hilarious, i'm worried it'll get out there and become our lovely reality in five years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anidav posted:

Is ARMS worth buying? I'm concerned that Splatoon 2 will eat its cake and the online will be dead within 4 months.

Arms is definitely worth buying. Really fun and unique multiplayer.

Splatoon 2 will be populated for a looong time, at least until 3. 1 still has a really active population and that's a 2 year old game on a dead system no one bought.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Anidav posted:

For the game itself, if you like the basic mechanics and plan to play online or local, ARMs is definitely worth buying. The mechanics are tight but not too complex, and most of the challenge is in tactics, adapting to your opponent and executing with the right timing. I don't like traditional fighting games, but I love online round based games. ARMs scratches that itch for me.

I doubt the online will *die*, especially because there will be a steady flow of free-DLC balance changes / new characters/arms/stages etc.. The big question is, do you live in an area with enough switch owners to support the online play? Ranked modes draw on the regional player pool, while party mode is worldwide. North America will be fine, Japan will be fine. You might have some trouble in some spots in Europe / Hawaii / other low-switch population areas.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Well I live in the strange country of Australia where Zelda and Bomberman sell out but the shelves are overflowing with copies of arms

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

MrSargent posted:

Does anyone have a link to that website that tracks Switch shipments to Brick & Mortar stores? You could basically use a map to find stores near you and they would highlight stores that had stock. Tried googling but couldn't find this particular one.

Is it this one?
http://www.istocknow.com

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

leftist heap posted:

The Wii U was good and so is the Switch

But the Switch is successful too

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

fwiw I used this to locate a Switch locally, but I also got lucky and called the store up a few hours after they got a fresh shipment. When I was there an hour after calling I saw four other people in there buying a Switch

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Mahoning posted:

Are you trying to imply that dual-screen gaming is not the future?!

In all seriousness though, at least the Wii U has a virtual console. I'm secretly happy there's no VC on the Switch yet because I'd be spending so much goddamn money.

I might be the only guy who liked the dual screen thing the WiiU provided, but I can understand why it caused tons of issues for developers

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I ordered a switch bundle today, and while I'm waiting, I'm gonna have to go buy a screen protector for the thing, and maybe a carrying case.

Is there a certain brand of screen protector or some type of case that's recommended? Or can I just go with whatever I like/whatever's a good deal?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

XavierGenisi posted:

I ordered a switch bundle today, and while I'm waiting, I'm gonna have to go buy a screen protector for the thing, and maybe a carrying case.

Is there a certain brand of screen protector or some type of case that's recommended? Or can I just go with whatever I like/whatever's a good deal?

The screen is plastic so I really like the glass one I got.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

XavierGenisi posted:

Screen protector:

amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch 2017 (2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fZVwzb8QJASEZ

Case:
The Nintendo Switch Case [29 Game Holder] Premium Quality Protective Portable Hard Carry Case Pouch for Nintendo Switch Console & Accessories - Best G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NFKBP7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_piVuaDatVXO6Z

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get the amfilm screen protector for sure.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Oh cool, I didn't know there was a glass screen protector available. I have one of those kinds of protectors for my phone, and it's great, so thanks, I'm gonna order that one right away.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need to hurry up and beat Zelda for when Spla2n hits :ohdear:

edit: I bought the Orzly screen protector set off Amazon for like fourteen dollars Canadian and it comes in a pack of two just in case you gently caress it up somehow. Can't say enough good things about it. It looks like it belongs on there, as if it came factory attached. It was literally also the first thing I did with my Switch. Like I took the switch out of the packaging and before I even turned it on I took it to the bathroom, ran the shower to kill any dust and applied the protector. Wanted that thing MINT.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 4, 2017

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let's be honest; the WiiU sold like poo poo and the Switch is selling like crazy. It's not hard to see why a lot of companies are rereleasing WiiU titles on the shiny new Nintendo machine that has better specs and an actual playerbase. I would not be at all surprised to see some of the actual decent titles like Project Zero/Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water and Tokyo Mirage Sessions get a Switch version.

If they do that they should really reverse the nonsensical changes they made in the NA/EU versions.

And release them both physically. No reason for digital only BS when Binding of Isaac and Cave Story can get Physical copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fatal Frame 5 was digital-only, because FF games sell like garbage in the US. J-Horror obviously does well on its own turf, and it does well enough in Europe that they got Project Zero 2: Wii Edition and a physical LE for FF5.

I don't blame them, honestly, and I wonder what the sales numbers on it were like.

• Locked thread