Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Calaveron posted:

That's TA2. TA1's story is a kid from the real world and his psychologically damaged friends and wheelchair bound brother are also there and their issues get fixed and are really happy in a fantasy book and says "This poo poo is bananas! I must destroy it!" and then destroys it.

Yes, and the pic that everyone's laughing at is of Luso, the main character of FFTA2. He's the one that's loving this poo poo he's in, and I rationalise that art as Luso being so amped up that he just wears all the craziest poo poo he can find, and starts using the biggest, most impractical sword ever designed because he is just so loving jazzed to be here. IIRC, almost none of the other character art gets half as goofy as Luso's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mierenneuker posted:

Back to the first hand:

The other hand says that artwork doesn't really translate to pixels tho.

This guy (and War from Darksiders) look like they accidentally left a character designer on overnight.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Inco posted:

Yes, and the pic that everyone's laughing at is of Luso, the main character of FFTA2. He's the one that's loving this poo poo he's in, and I rationalise that art as Luso being so amped up that he just wears all the craziest poo poo he can find, and starts using the biggest, most impractical sword ever designed because he is just so loving jazzed to be here. IIRC, almost none of the other character art gets half as goofy as Luso's.

Okay, it is supposed to be he then? The high heels were throwing me off

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Calaveron posted:

That's TA2. TA1's story is a kid from the real world and his psychologically damaged friends and wheelchair bound brother are also there and their issues get fixed and are really happy in a fantasy book and says "This poo poo is bananas! I must destroy it!" and then destroys it.

It's actually pretty well written, subtle, and interesting, to be honest. To the point people have spent pages and pages arguing whether or not Marche (the main protagonist, i.e. you) are actually the villain of the whole thing, whether or not an illusion that's so real you can't tell the difference is really an illusion. It gets surprisingly philosophical.

FFTA2 is fun, but I didn't find it as mature or interesting and that disappointed me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just went to the sidequest town in the west of Horizon, the one immediately south of Sunfall at the port. I really like the design there, with the twin watchtowers, one full of the villain Carja clan and one full of the neutral/nice Carja. It's a very interesting setup, like the two sides are trying to observe an unsteady truce and set up like that so that each side could watch the other. I like that kind of visual design.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, it is supposed to be he then? The high heels were throwing me off

What are you getting at

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
H I T M A N

Getting Silent Assassin + Suit Only with some rancid Chef Boyardee cans.

:clint:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Action Tortoise posted:

H I T M A N

Getting Silent Assassin + Suit Only with some rancid Chef Boyardee cans.

:clint:

Spaghetti! Thunk!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I spent about an hour yesterday in Just Cause 3 just cruising around the starting island on the wing suit, and I am absolutely over the moon with it.

I think it controls really well, getting in and out of it is very smooth, and it's so pretty/exciting flying mere inches away from the ground.

The only bad thing is you can't fire your rocket launcher while wing suiting, but if you could I actually don't think I would ever stop.

Oh, and the game doesn't stop throwing ammo at you, which was a real nice change of pace from the second game where it felt like I was running out every two fights.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Calaveron posted:

The main character, Marche, is the only character in the game without any significant issues so he spends the bulk of the game just being the lame-o "I want to go home" nerd after seeing his first brutal street fight in this crazy fantasy world full of lizard people and donkey dudes. One by one all his friends show up and are like "This is cool, my problems don't exist here!" Especially his cripple brother who's like "Hell yeah, I can walk here! I'm going to walk all over this world!" While marche is just determined to bring everyone back home because he wants to do homework or something lame like that and force the antagonist to live with his unemployed alcoholic dad again.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

moosecow333 posted:

The only bad thing is you can't fire your rocket launcher while wing suiting, but if you could I actually don't think I would ever stop.

Get the dlc

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really want Square to bring back Amano concept art.

i like that a lot for some reason. Final Fantasy always had this gravitas to me as a kid, because it had a legit-seeming art style, even if it only showed up in the monster designs and the manual. I mean it's art nouveau with anime cake sprinkles but that really stood out in a world of airbrushed genre cheesecake.

Plus it makes sense as armor, it's just got a lot of decoration. The FFTA2 kid looks like he's wearing a Sexy Ronald McDonald halloween costume with 100 lbs of accessories and a sword that can play laserdiscs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

swamp waste posted:

i like that a lot for some reason.
Amano is legitimately a really good artist, all his poo poo looks extremely cool.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Amano is legitimately a really good artist, all his poo poo looks extremely cool.

Correct. He's one of my favorite artists ever.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Back to the first hand:

The other hand says that artwork doesn't really translate to pixels tho.

Does he have bucklers on his elbows? Is he carrying several sideways pizzas in a messenger bag?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Does he have bucklers on his elbows? Is he carrying several sideways pizzas in a messenger bag?
They're pizza pans on his elbows, and yes, he has pizzas in his bag. He is also carrying a large pizza cutter. Is name is Peter Pizzapie and he is the savior of Fantasyvania.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I bet those shoe funnels become real inconvenient when it rains.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're pizza pans on his elbows, and yes, he has pizzas in his bag. He is also carrying a large pizza cutter. Is name is Peter Pizzapie and he is the savior of Fantasyvania.

I just wanna say how much I love your videos, Mr. Griffin McElroy of Polygon Dot Com.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I just wanna say how much I love your videos, Mr. Griffin McElroy of Polygon Dot Com.

Nah he would have called him Pizza Boy if it was Griffin McElroy.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

And we'd have a video of him stuffing a printout of the character art in his mouth.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That big rear end sword btw is from both games, it's the sword used by the "judges" in battles (all battles have a ref who rezzes everyone after a battle, and jails people if they break arbitrary rotating rules) but aren't ever actually really used in the game, at least not the first one. The main character is shown posing with one but the item itself is never available to equip.

If they wanted my Marche to be accurate to the concept art, they should have shown him dual-wielding sabers while casting time magic :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So in Friday the 13th, players discovered a glitch where you could get yourself up onto the roof of a building and wait there for 20 minutes to win a match. The little thing I like is the immediate culture that formed where anyone up on the roof is to be IMMEDIATELY executed by any not-rear end in a top hat players who can find a gun or a machette. While they're patching out the exploits, the devs have started taking reports and banning exploiters, leading to people asking if they'll get banned if they execute traitorous players. The devs confirmed that glitching onto the roof is legal if, and only if, you're there to murder cheaters and leave afterwards.

Traitors get their just rewards :murder:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm in the middle of Rise of the Tomb Raider and I loving love it. It cobbles together a bunch of mechanics from the last decade but does it in a way that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Its open world, but each area is tiny and there are only like 20 minimap icons to collect instead of 100
It has a very naturally progressing metroidvania where you get better items that open up new areas, without the legend of zelda thing where the main character is carrying around 20 different items or doomguy thing where he has 10 different guns. I mean, it does get a little silly with Lara carrying a shotgun AND a rifle, but otherwise its all stuff that someone who got stranded while mountaineering would have. Like attaching wire to her climbing axes to make a grappling hook, or something as simple as a combat knife or lock pick. Awesome and effective
It does the "linear cinematic shooter" thing from Uncharted but for only like, 10 minutes at a time.
It has a good collection of puzzle platforming too, straight from the original Tomb Raider or Sands of Time.
The story is fairly non-generic as well. I was totally expecting a bunch of completely telegraphed twists that ended up not happening.
I like the combat as well - I'm used to too many games where can wade in and just take the hits but fighting with a bow and arrow means that i gotta stealth and I like that. until i unlocked the triple headshot power :getin:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Honestly the thing that impressed me the most in Rise of the Tomb Raider was the physics of Lara's hair. I don't know what this says about me, other than that I play a lot of games where everyone's hair has one model and never moves at all.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
~TressFX~

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
2 maps into H I T M A N and I've found 2 joke disguises that have no function to their maps.

I hope this becomes a running joke with the game.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

The chicken suit disguise has always been a Hitman tradition since I think Contracts. This even plays into a late Blood Money mission where you have to kill three rival assassins including one of the grey haired assassins that wears one of said suits.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

In the one hand, how could it be as good as the original. On the other hand, I can have pig friends in my clan.

Update, I now have a pig friend named Dermot. Game is good.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
e:Ulp! poo poo, beaten

thecluckmeme posted:

That big rear end sword btw is from both games, it's the sword used by the "judges" in battles (all battles have a ref who rezzes everyone after a battle, and jails people if they break arbitrary rotating rules) but aren't ever actually really used in the game, at least not the first one. The main character is shown posing with one but the item itself is never available to equip.

If they wanted my Marche to be accurate to the concept art, they should have shown him dual-wielding sabers while casting time magic :colbert:

Here's a picture

Agents are GO! posted:

One of the things that I loved about Dissidia is that they followed those designs pretty drat well. And that Exdeath was the strongest character in the game.

My favorite thing about Dissidia and Exdeath is VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID

e2:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Actually it's a book with a pizza-shaped cover, I'm pretty sure it's the book of Pizza Rules, which defines what is and is not a pizza.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Jul 4, 2017

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

2 maps into H I T M A N and I've found 2 joke disguises that have no function to their maps.

I hope this becomes a running joke with the game.

Well I can tell you one of the Hokkaido mission rewards is a starting position above the main area, dressed as a ninja (he ain't gonna blend in).

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sad lions posted:

Well I can tell you one of the Hokkaido mission rewards is a starting position above the main area, dressed as a ninja (he ain't gonna blend in).

Found a Blood Money reference in Sapienza

Sometimes the game frames a moment that can only be described as art.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I honestly can't not see it as a pizza. What is it actually supposed to be?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Danaru posted:

So in Friday the 13th, players discovered a glitch where you could get yourself up onto the roof of a building and wait there for 20 minutes to win a match. The little thing I like is the immediate culture that formed where anyone up on the roof is to be IMMEDIATELY executed by any not-rear end in a top hat players who can find a gun or a machette. While they're patching out the exploits, the devs have started taking reports and banning exploiters, leading to people asking if they'll get banned if they execute traitorous players. The devs confirmed that glitching onto the roof is legal if, and only if, you're there to murder cheaters and leave afterwards.

Traitors get their just rewards :murder:

No, you see I was camping that rooftop to make sure I could swiftly dispatch any cheaters that might sneak up their to steal the match....

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Agents are GO! posted:

One of the things that I loved about Dissidia is that they followed those designs pretty drat well. And that Exdeath was the strongest character in the game.

In Dissidia, Exdeath has a small chance of screaming "Turtle!" during his ex burst.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

scarycave posted:

In Dissidia, Exdeath has a small chance of screaming "Turtle!" during his ex burst.
What about him screaming 'get the fruit' all the drat time.

Oh hey, here's a favorite little thing from Final Fantasy. Gilgamesh is consistently great once they decided that it's the same character that pops up in every game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Still think they should make a gilgamesh game where you hop dimensions with enkidu who changes forms in every dimension.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

scarycave posted:

Still think they should make a gilgamesh game where you hop dimensions with enkidu who changes forms in every dimension.

Enkidu is actually canonically not with him, and is either dead or lost and alone back in FFV's world! This is actually explained in-story in FFXIV, when Gilgamesh gets so lonely he accidentally summons an evil imitation of Enkidu in the same way that the various beast tribes and other antagonist groups summon horrible mockeries of their gods.

In other news: Persona 5 generally doesn't have super great writing, especially not in localization (there must be a really versatile Japanese word that most closely translates to 'cognition'), but I am genuinely stunned at how well they write a character with actual social issues. Futaba, your navigator, has massive social issues that lead to her having a lot of trouble going out and interacting with people. She's overtly a recovering hikkikomori, which I don't know much about, but to my eyes she also reads as a very strong depiction of a high-functioning autistic. Either way, from what I've so far seen it's a great effort that doesn't even really play it for jokes; her disconnect with people has some jokes in it, but they're not really at her expense. It's not played for laughs or dismissed as nothing when she's genuinely uncomfortable, which is amazing to see.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Jul 4, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So this is due to using a randomiser but my copy of Pokemon Emerald replaced Rayquaza with Lotad, Kyogre with Anorith and Groundon with Seedot. There's something amazing about the legendaries being replaced with trash mons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cleretic posted:

Enkidu is actually canonically not with him, and is either dead or lost and alone back in FFV's world! This is actually explained in-story in FFXIV, when Gilgamesh gets so lonely he accidentally summons an evil imitation of Enkidu in the same way that the various beast tribes and other antagonist groups summon horrible mockeries of their gods.

Gilgamesh's wish for his friend was so heartfelt and his soul so pure that he managed to do by himself what usually requires a vast amount of people, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cleretic posted:

That's kind of sad. Does that mean he's just been naming random monsters enkidu like the wolf thing he's with in 12 (which is the best gilgamesh - because his entrance is amazing).
Of course, that's whether or not Type 0's gilgamesh is the same gilgamesh who had a human adviser named enkidu.