Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Got something interesting. Ordered a flexi from a small artist a few months back and kinda forgot about it, and it never shipped. By way of apology she sent me 4 flexis instead of the single one I ordered. I gave two away to friends who have turntables, but that still leaves one. Anyone here want it?

Here's their bandcamp, which has one of the songs on the flexi: https://kimandthecreated.bandcamp.com/

e: not selling, I'll just mail it out if you want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I'd love a flexi, I was just reading up on them the other day and thought it'd be pretty sweet to spin a new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul9_LO-IsnE

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ok, shoot an email to [email="my email address"][/email] and I'll get it sent.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 5, 2017

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found an original 1968 NM- vinyl / G+ cover copy of Frank Zappa's Lumpy Gravy for $20 today. Also a beautiful copy of Queen - News of the World for $5 but I think that's pretty common.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Boinks posted:

Found an original 1968 NM- vinyl / G+ cover copy of Frank Zappa's Lumpy Gravy for $20 today. Also a beautiful copy of Queen - News of the World for $5 but I think that's pretty common.

I look for Queen records every time I dig and I've only found a couple that have been reasonably priced, so I think you did pretty great with that

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I got a copy of Queen - Jazz from my dad, but it's horribly warped. My wife's favorite song is "Don't stop me now" and I've been looking for years for a copy priced less than $15. Haven't found one.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

One of my favorites is It's a Kind Of Magic but I've never seen it under $20. I always see The Game for $5 or less.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Don't know if I'm wrong for thinking I should be able to find them but I rarely see Kinks records for sale, and if I do it's fairly beat copies in the dollar bin. Maybe I'm overselling their popularly, but I don't find them unless people are asking $15-$20 for them. Doesn't match up with my perceived expectations. Am I wrong or just looking in stupid places?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Flea markets have always been my best bet for reasonable 1960s-70s era stuff in decent shape. I got a few Queen albums that way.

Schremp Howard posted:

Don't know if I'm wrong for thinking I should be able to find them but I rarely see Kinks records for sale, and if I do it's fairly beat copies in the dollar bin. Maybe I'm overselling their popularly, but I don't find them unless people are asking $15-$20 for them. Doesn't match up with my perceived expectations. Am I wrong or just looking in stupid places?

Beach Boys are my band in this regard, though I did get a copy of Holland the other day for $8, though it didn't come with the bonus fairytale single. Somewhere else had MIU for $15. I am disturbed that out of their represses, one of them is 15 Big Ones.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Schremp Howard posted:

Are you American?

If so, the Kinks weren't really that popular here. Like, they had hits, but their LPs weren't huge movers, and there was a period of time in which they were basically going nowhere in the US because they were forbidden from touring. Then add to that the fact that as time went on, their esteem in the US went up significantly because bands are always being influenced by them, that makes it so the records people love by the Kinks are in high demand and relatively low supply.

There was a really good reissue of their 60s Pye albums in mono last year. The book that came with the boxset was absolutely terrible and it could be summed up as interviews with Ray and Dave Davies about how awesome mono is. But the records were fantastic.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are you American?

If so, the Kinks weren't really that popular here. Like, they had hits, but their LPs weren't huge movers, and there was a period of time in which they were basically going nowhere in the US because they were forbidden from touring. Then add to that the fact that as time went on, their esteem in the US went up significantly because bands are always being influenced by them, that makes it so the records people love by the Kinks are in high demand and relatively low supply.

There was a really good reissue of their 60s Pye albums in mono last year. The book that came with the boxset was absolutely terrible and it could be summed up as interviews with Ray and Dave Davies about how awesome mono is. But the records were fantastic.

This is a good post. I got lucky and got my Kinks records from a record shop that had a huge collection they got from a British collector that had already moved his collection from the UK and he had to move across the US and decided not to move it again.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

cosmicjim posted:

This is a good post. I got lucky and got my Kinks records from a record shop that had a huge collection they got from a British collector that had already moved his collection from the UK and he had to move across the US and decided not to move it again.

Yeah. No problem finding the Lola 45, but I had to pay more than a couple bucks for Arthur. The 80s stuff always seems to be around though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are you American?

Thanks for the heads up on this. I've been trying to dig up their 60s albums for years. The only reissues I've seen out there are a bunch of counterfeit releases.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Then add to that the fact that as time went on, their esteem in the US went up significantly because bands are always being influenced by them, that makes it so the records people love by the Kinks are in high demand and relatively low supply.
Sparks syndrome. Or it's probably the other way around, Sparks might have Kinks syndrome. Either way, listen to The Kinks and Sparks.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
not sure if anyone would be interested but i pulled the download code cards out of all of my records that had them in there and put them all in a spreadsheet so if anyone wants any of these, go nuts. put an x or something in the column that says "claimed" if you take something so people will know it's been taken. cheers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lVReGwiuVAMZs9P783-taueSXQIfN977I8kOp0evUKg/edit?usp=sharing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

cosmicjim posted:

I bought most of my Kinks records over the course of several London trips a few years back. I've never seen anything decently priced here in the US that wasn't a compilation or something from the 80's. Even among pricey stuff, I've never seen a copy of Arthur sold at any of my local shops.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
That explains it then. I guess I'm jaded because my dad doesn't really care too much about music, but he loves the Kinks and always played them when I was growing up.

I'm moving soon. Anyone have a better solution than using those grocery store reusable bags if I'm doing it myself?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

a false posted:

not sure if anyone would be interested but i pulled the download code cards out of all of my records that had them in there and put them all in a spreadsheet so if anyone wants any of these, go nuts. put an x or something in the column that says "claimed" if you take something so people will know it's been taken. cheers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lVReGwiuVAMZs9P783-taueSXQIfN977I8kOp0evUKg/edit?usp=sharing

I took two to help keep good sounds in my ears in my no-reception-having office at work. Thanks muchly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Sparks syndrome. Or it's probably the other way around, Sparks might have Kinks syndrome. Either way, listen to The Kinks and Sparks.

It's hard being a fan of these bands. Although I'm pretty sure at least Kimono My House got a reissue a few years ago.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

<3

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are any of you guys in the area where there is an Armageddon Shop? Because they are great.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It's hard being a fan of these bands. Although I'm pretty sure at least Kimono My House got a reissue a few years ago.
The two-LP Kimono reissue is still easy to come by. There was a sweet Sparks box set that came out last year that had all four of their Island releases and a bonus LP with B-sides, while Halfnelson was reissued earlier in the year, too.

But goddamn, my kingdom for a quality copy of Angst in My Pants.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

CPL593H posted:

Are any of you guys in the area where there is an Armageddon Shop? Because they are great.

I haven't been to the Providence one, but the Cambridge one is really cool. I don't live close enough to just go down there whenever, but I try to make it when I get to the Boston area if I'm able. Lots of good metal, but also plenty of older 70s rock and some others. There's a bookshelf with zines. If you like punk 7"s, you'll like the shop.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Some rad dark synthwave codes if anyone's into that:

Blood Runs Dry: Burning Tapes
gcm9-gkxq - burningallwitches.bandcamp.com/yum

The Coven: All of Them Witches
6gye-eqnw - burningallwitches.bandcamp.com/yum

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Peas and Rice posted:

Some rad dark synthwave codes if anyone's into that:

The Coven: All of Them Witches
6gye-eqnw - burningallwitches.bandcamp.com/yum

Thanks, but it says the All of Them Witches code is invalid.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

The two-LP Kimono reissue is still easy to come by. There was a sweet Sparks box set that came out last year that had all four of their Island releases and a bonus LP with B-sides, while Halfnelson was reissued earlier in the year, too.

But goddamn, my kingdom for a quality copy of Angst in My Pants.
No kingdom required - $19 shipped

?

Unless you can't use ebay, there you go.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

I haven't been to the Providence one, but the Cambridge one is really cool. I don't live close enough to just go down there whenever, but I try to make it when I get to the Boston area if I'm able. Lots of good metal, but also plenty of older 70s rock and some others. There's a bookshelf with zines. If you like punk 7"s, you'll like the shop.

I love both stores but I think Providence is slightly better. Either way they're at the top of my list of record stores and the first place I recommend to anyone in the area. And relating this to the other topic, the Armageddon Shops are the only places I've ever found Sparks records.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Any of you lot in the Oregon area and can recommend a solid record store in Portland? My neighbor is heading their tomorrow and I want to give him a store or two to hit, because at the very least if I have to get up at 6am to drive his rear end to IAH then he can bring me back a t-shirt from a local at the very least.

Yelp says Exiled is the best, but they have a super small web presence. Any other recommendations?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Thanks, but it says the All of Them Witches code is invalid.

drat, sorry about that. I'm about 99% certain I didn't redeem it since I bought the vinyl from Bandcamp to begin with and already had the music in my library.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

hatelull posted:

Yelp says Exiled is the best, but they have a super small web presence. Any other recommendations?
I love Exiled, but they're very niche in terms of selection. Solid Avant Garde/Jazz/Metal/World sections, but if you're looking for the hits, you won't find them there. Got a lot of nice Residents albums there. Any Everyday Music is a solid place to look. Music Millennium is a little cramped but it's pretty nice.

Your neighbor picked a poo poo time to visit: Crossroads just closed up shop and is relocating across town in August. About a dozen or so individual sellers selling tens of thousands of records, you'd have to wait for the weekend so you can block out an entire afternoon to go through everything. Hands down favorite place in Portland, period.

Green Noise is pretty sweet if you're looking for Punk/Hardcore, but they've moved so many times in the last five years, I have no idea where they are now. Off of Killingsworth, I believe.

EDIT: My weekend move (which includes a shitton of walking) would go like this: I'd hit Everyday Music off of Sandy on the east side, from there I'd walk down a couple blocks to Future Shock off of Burnside, continue on Burnside to Music Millenium, then walk from there to Hawthorne Blvd and hit Jackpot Records, then finally Crossroads. Five record stores in a day.

DOUBLE EDIT: Man, I completely blanked on those. I've found Kickstarter-funded Internet only releases stocked at 2nd Ave. Those fuckers are LEGIT.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 6, 2017

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

If your friend is into soul or roots music I really like Mississippi records, or their other shop in Hollywood, Little Axe Records. 2nd street records downtown is pretty fantastic for Metal and Punk too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SwimNurd posted:

If your friend is into soul or roots music I really like Mississippi records, or their other shop in Hollywood, Little Axe Records. 2nd street records downtown is pretty fantastic for Metal and Punk too.

These are great. My random stop on the way home from work today at Little Axe.

Everyday Music is huge with multiple locations. I always find something there.

Clinton St. Records, Music Millennium

Kinda depends what neighborhood yer in.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I picked up the Melvins A Walk with Love & Death yesterday, and the 'Death' songs are pressed on the pink 'Love' album and vice versa.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Flew in from Portland Oregon to Austin Texas because Jimmy was playing a tribute show for his brother Dennis, who passed away in 2012 (The Frogs hadn't played a show since 2011, if I remember correctly). Two sets, three hours. Tons of new material from a promised new and final Frogs album. He came out in Dennis' costuming instead of the traditional bat wings. Cried like a baby.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Banano posted:

I hate you

:grin:

Contents in no particular order...

-Mix Tape (Scotch 150) consisting of the Four Seasons all on side 1. Side 2 has Dave Clark Five, Roy Orbison, John Rivers, Dion, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, and MAYBE Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane? Those Beatles tracks are in different handwriting and off on their own in the margin.

-Mix Tape (Scotch 150). No tracklist. Some writing on it indicates my Dad had it in Vietnam, so probably circa 1967.

-Engelbert Humperdinck S/T

-Glen Campbell - A New Place in the Sun

-Mix Tape (Scotch 190) no tracklist. Only writing is "Jones," on one line, then "Dec 17 1966" on another line and finally "Party Tape" written underneath that.

-Glen Campbell - Gentle on My Mind

-Mix Tape (Ampex 641). Tracklist is in the photo above of the typed paper and yellowed tape (Platters, etc)

-Mix Tape (Ampex 641). Typed tracklist includes Sonny and Cher, The Sandpipers, and The Four Seasons

-The Hollies' Greatest Hits

-Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

-Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

-Lawrence Welk and His Orchestra - Scarlett O'Hara

-Glen Campbell - Galveston

-The Mamas and The Papas - S/T

-Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends

-Best of Bee Gees (from 1969 so it's pre-disco Bee Gees)

-Mix Tape (Soundcraft) no tracklist

-Mantovani and his Orchestra - The Mantovani Scene

-Peter, Paul and Mary - See What Tomorrow Brings

-Mix Tape (Scotch 90 hard plastic shell) no tracklist

-The 5th Dimension - The Age of Aquarius

-Mix Tape (Scotch 111) no tracklist, just dated Dec 23 1966

-Carpenters - Close To You

José Feliciano - Feliciano!

-The 5th Dimension - Up, Up and Away

-The Mamas and The Papas - Deliver

-Five BASF hardshell mix tapes I don't feel like going extensively over their tracklists, but they include a lot of Motown, CCR, and Cat Stevens. That's my Dad for you.

Again, I have no way to play these and honestly wouldn't be surprised if whatever was recorded on them a half century ago is long gone.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 8, 2017

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Enos Cabell posted:

I picked up the Melvins A Walk with Love & Death yesterday, and the 'Death' songs are pressed on the pink 'Love' album and vice versa.

Ipecac has one of my favorite rosters going right now, but their quality control is so out of whack.

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 9, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ballz posted:

-Best of Bee Gees (from 1969 so it's pre-disco Bee Gees)

And quite good. Words, Massachusetts and New York Mining Disaster are fantastic.

The Simon and Garfunkel albums are the best of the lot. Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme perhaps flows better together (and 7 O'Clock News/Silent Night is one of the most depressing things ever recorded) but drat if Bridge Over Troubled Water has a knockout song selection.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Flew in from Portland Oregon to Austin Texas because Jimmy was playing a tribute show for his brother Dennis, who passed away in 2012 (The Frogs hadn't played a show since 2011, if I remember correctly). Two sets, three hours. Tons of new material from a promised new and final Frogs album. He came out in Dennis' costuming instead of the traditional bat wings. Cried like a baby.

So when you got that copy of the LP did you sell your soul to Satan or just kill a guy and take his?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hahaha, my PayPal account is on lockdown and I can't access it, so when that showed up on eBay, I shoved $150 (I overreact) into a friend's hand and had them place the bid for me. Ended up costing a super reasonable $62. Sometimes a yellow first pressing will show up, and that'll run you about $200-300, though.

Bananimals and the Starjob 10" are the ones that are virtually impossible to find without going upwards of $300+ for. They're on my buy-immediately-after-getting-rich list which also includes anything released by Devil Doll (average price: $600+).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Can’t really tell much difference between OK Computer’s last reissue and OKNOTOK. I guess they did a pretty good job with the prior reissue. Like having the B sides and “new” tracks on LP tho.