Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The ironic thing is that tech bros tend to look down on peers who aren't perpetually chasing cash and more lucrative offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah that's basically how you should view signing Collison to be your starting PG

He's basically a modern day Earl Watson. Better than a backup PG, but not good enough for you to wish you had an upgrade

I liked him when he was here, but not as a starting PG. I guess Pritchard is setting up the roster to tank.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Strawberry Panda posted:

Everyone in this picture is cool and kind hearted.

I like making fun of Guy's appearance but you know I want him to take me to Flavor Town

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pubic works project posted:

I liked him when he was here, but not as a starting PG. I guess Pritchard is setting up the roster to tank.

While he'd make a great bridge PG, he's an awkward tanking PG because he's good enough to run things at a better than incompetent level.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

this point about Durant's decision keeping the Warriors window open longer is incorrect. The Warriors are still in the luxury tax for 17-18. They'll be there again next year, and still have to deal with the repeater tax and Klay's new contract in the summer of 2019. The issue at that point will be less about the 25 mil that Durant is saving them now, and more about a tax bill in the neighborhood of 90 million. Others have suggested this decision allows the Warriors to keep Iguodala and Livingston--again wrong because the complication on their contracts' was years and guaranteed money in the 3rd year as opposed to the dollar value in 2017-18. Durant's contract for the 2017-18 season will have very little impact on Lacob's capacity to pay the bills in 2019 or 2020 unless Lacob is cash poor and desperately needs that 25 million dollars to make payroll and luxury tax payments. Durant's short term contracts last summer and this summer don't alter the Warriors' window of contention.

If Durant signs a 4-year deal below market value next summer, he'll have made a long-term contribution towards team finances. As it stands, this is an odd contribution to the toilet arena slush fund. It's Durant's money and I don't see the point of the decision, but let's be clear about the actual impact.

I'll be honest. I don't understand the actual precise impact yet. I'll wait for the capologists to speak up.

I was just speculating about why he would do it - to delay the break up of the team core for a year or two I imagine.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

The ironic thing is that tech bros tend to look down on peers who aren't perpetually chasing cash and more lucrative offers.

Unless they're trying to convince you to join their startup and get paid in equity until they secure VC. I know a lot of dumb people who agreed to those kind of arrangements

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

cravius posted:

Just lol at the idea that nba players are "labor"

They're as clearly a 'labor aristocracy' as you like. And they're also involved in a false meritocracy. If we took every dollar spent on pro sports and just handed it to every single american to spend as they pleased, the country would be better off. If we took that money and use it to build cooperative businessess to fulfill city and state contracts over non local corporations, we'd be even better off. If we took that money and built a vanguard of a communist revolution, we'd be better still.

The players should be making a lot more of the total basketball spending pie, as there is none without them. But the networks decided to pay owners (but not players :eek: )even if there's a lockout. Even if the players built up enough of a strike fund to be successful, it would probably be followed every year by lockouts until they caved completely.

It doesn't help that the union leadership sold out the rank and file to benefit themselves (shades of every single big union from 1990 to present save MLB)

That being said, if you're stupid enough to listen to ESPN it probably gives you great peace of mind to answer "rings" to every inane question. Also, if you helped the shoe company that employs you seriously damage a rival, and you know they're going to make up the contract money you're giving up in hope of more rings, you probably aren't worried about much, other than small bones of the foot injuries

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are definitely labor what the gently caress

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The white Mike James signed a guaranteed contract with the Suns. Maybe this is why they waived Barbarosa

http://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/474959/mike-james-will-sign-phoenix-suns/

euphronius posted:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1916/imp-hsc/ You can read about labor aristocracies here

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

i think you will find that the actual rich people are the players. the owners are basically indentured servants at the whim of the players lavish demands. joe lacob is only light years ahead in poverty

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Not only are NBA players labor, they are my friends too

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Well CEOs are technically labor as they are employed by the companies they run

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/882031720945643521

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

cravius posted:

i think your analogy may be a bit off. maybe the highest level of management in a company is actually....management. not labor

jfc

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Your 76ers/Celtics summer league update after three quarters

Jaylen Brown = Summer League LeBron
Fultz looks really good
Tatum is just a guy out there, except for one flashy dunk
TLC third best player on the floor
Jonah Bolden looks like an NBA player
Zizic is very unathletic, but boxes out, can pass out of the post and has some nice big man moves, so probably an NBA rotation big

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
He's gonna get a max next year anyways. This was just a way to keep Livingston and Andre with them both getting paid too.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

E2M2 posted:

He's gonna get a max next year anyways. This was just a way to keep Livingston and Andre with them both getting paid too.

no its not

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

E2M2 posted:

Uhh not really, no

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Who gives a gently caress if they technically manage other employees or not, they are paid hundreds of millions largely thanks to their genetic luck. Regardless, I'm sure they will all invest their money in other ventures and become.... (gasp) capital!!!!

I get that we're desperate to use our worthless college degrees for something besides kindling but there are far more interesting things to talk about

Like how much Jaylen Brown is killing it at the moment

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

cravius posted:

This is low key the most hilarious post of this entire event

e: Jaylen Brown sucks

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

its weird that despite being the only player in the nba, kevin durant has teammates. i think it may be a 1 time thing im sure they dont have to pay players next year right?

like imagine if old beggar joe lacob had to pay people Every Single Year. monstrously unfair

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

verbal enema posted:

If LeBron loses again he has to come back with a Dr J level afro

The league may be way better now, but it will never be near as cool, imo, jimho.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

On one hand I appreciate other GMs not giving in and actually pulling off trades and signings to try and compete with the warriors.

On the other hand lol the league is so hosed KD is willing to perform bitch move after bitch move to ensure the team he joined stays intact so he can cruise to easy titles.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If KD was a real teammate he'd play for free that way his good friend Joe wouldn't be so poor.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Away all Goats posted:

On one hand I appreciate other GMs not giving in and actually pulling off trades and signings to try and compete with the warriors.

On the other hand lol the league is so hosed KD is willing to perform bitch move after bitch move to ensure the team he joined stays intact so he can cruise to easy titles.

If the union was any kind of real blue collar union, they'd send a goon to kneecap him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Durant is worse than DeRozan, paid worse than DeRozan. Checks out, I don't see the problem.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

tanglewood1420 posted:

Your 76ers/Celtics summer league update after three quarters

Jaylen Brown = Summer League LeBron
Fultz looks really good
Tatum is just a guy out there, except for one flashy dunk
TLC third best player on the floor
Jonah Bolden looks like an NBA player
Zizic is very unathletic, but boxes out, can pass out of the post and has some nice big man moves, so probably an NBA rotation big

Tatum has picked it up in the 4th qtr, good iso play to take the lead with 5 sec left and will finish with 21 pts and 5 steals. Agree with the rest.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Tatum has picked it up in the 4th qtr, good iso play to take the lead with 5 sec left and will finish with 21 pts and 5 steals. Agree with the rest.

Nader showed up too

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Steph Curry and Derek Carr have the biggest contracts in the NBA/NFL, all is right in the world.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Guy called himself the servant. Should've seen this coming.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This thread is now called LUMPKIN WATCH '17 and is about the Sanjay Lumpkin's summerleague heroics or, alternately, Reggie Hearn.

e: The Pelicans have Peter Jok and a dude from Chicago State, I love Del Demps.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

leftist heap posted:

lol have you seen LeBron's hairline

It'd be a clown wig we all know this

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Reddick is only making 2 mil more than KD next year lmao

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
x-posting but

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/882033584957136896

Durant can't even pay a guy a compliment without sounding corny as hell

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

lol Darren Collison. Garbage 8 seed time wooo. I guess currently Thad Young or Lance is the starting SF, but they might be able to get something for Young, some IU bust that's floating around out there.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Christ

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
He's already sounding like a techbro, that's next level mansplaining

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Jota posted:

x-posting but

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/882033584957136896

Durant can't even pay a guy a compliment without sounding corny as hell

hmm, poo emoji

hmm

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

kevin durant is hypnotized by the knowledge that all around him, everyones got some 💩 in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

im a big time honky and I dont really hoop but I understood what he meant

• Locked thread