Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I read somewhere in these forums that Call Center jobs are basically the modern equivalent of Coal Mining. I mean, they're lovely, but they sure as gently caress don't give you black lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Davincie posted:

isekai shokudou is pro modern slavery and thus i strongly suggest avoiding it if you as a person have any morals at all

do elaborate on how this is so, that is a strong claim to make and i wanna know how much i need to nope out if someone tries to recommend it to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wasn't familiar with that one, since the whole "otherworlders screech and moan like orgasmic chimps in response to japanese food" thing never appealed to me. the dorks writing those wn's really don't quite understand that different cultures and nationalities have varying palates, so no person has ever been waiting their whole lives for some lovely instant curry.
:catstare:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A demon girl ends up working at a restaurant once a week waiting tables. Ten silver coins (apparently this is good money?) & three staff meals per 14 hour shift.

I dunno, I watched one episode. Maybe the subplot about hardcore bondage play shows up later.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gyra_Solune posted:

do elaborate on how this is so, that is a strong claim to make and i wanna know how much i need to nope out if someone tries to recommend it to me

he's being facetious

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
you can tell by the fact that its a davincie post

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Isekai Startup: How I duped people out of their money and they dumped me into another world"

i wasn't familiar with that one, since the whole "otherworlders screech and moan like orgasmic chimps in response to japanese food" thing never appealed to me. the dorks writing those wn's really don't quite understand that different cultures and nationalities have varying palates, so no person has ever been waiting their whole lives for some lovely instant curry.
Maybe it's because I'm hungry, but "lovely instant curry" sounds really appetizing right about now.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

lovely japanese instant curry is great though

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Blhue posted:

you can tell by the fact that its a davincie post

see i barely know you people so i never knooooow

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wark Say posted:

"Isekai Startup: How I duped people out of their money and they dumped me into another world"

Maybe it's because I'm hungry, but "lovely instant curry" sounds really appetizing right about now.

there's a big difference between trying a wide variety of foods and dedicating your life to a vicious, all-consuming addiction to hamburger steak after eating it once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, the latter is badass

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

50 cents per hour for a 14 hour day is slavery

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

But the benefits package is great! You know how long you have to work at most restaurants to get an aegis of draconian protection?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

so no person has ever been waiting their whole lives for some lovely instant curry.

hi

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
The owner was gonna pay her 10,000 yen before correcting himself to 10 silver coins. So her wage is 88 dollars and 22 cents in usd. So she makes 6.30 an hour. Which still isn't great but maybe she also gets tips.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
federal minimum wage with tips in the US is 2.13. japan has a higher cost of living so 6.30 is probably not bad?

i think the real issue is the idea that japanese cuisine is super flavorful

whale meat is bland as gently caress, and yet all the murder

Relin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 4, 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
How do you know what whale tastes like

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't worry about it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Didn't a goon mention a couple of posts ago that the FLCL sequel is going to have a buncha young animators working on it? Because that was my whole connection.

yeah, it will have staff who have trended towards storyboarding/KA/design rather than directorial positions that get recognition. anybody more closely tied to LWA/Mob would be a later announcement though, since so far you just have Kazuto Arai (FLCL 2 director, KA on Mob ep3) and Yuichi Takahashi (FLCL 3 character design, KA on Mob OP). FLCL2 has a pretty strong connection with Flip Flappers though, with Oshiyama on mech design and three of the directors having done KA under him on that series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also said at the panel that they had gotten some ex-Gainax people to come on as guest directors.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

How do you know what whale tastes like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYTjjNp8ys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the japanese cook things besides whales.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All I hear is that whale tastes real bad and is very expensive so nobody actually eats it. Not that even in Japan i've ever seen any place that sells it.

Whale isn't really a staple of Japanese cuisine.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I still get the occasional hankering for 25 cent instant ramen, so I ain't judging a taste for instant curry.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for a while they couldn't get anyone to eat the whales they researched so thoroughly so they tried using it as pet food. i don't think that worked very well either.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
my old rear end japanese law prof told me whale is p good but also that the people that actually eat whale still are old fucks like him that grew up eating it

in non whale news they released a new pv for s2 of kekkai sensen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD9zDA8Ih0U

i really liked the first season, it was stylish as hell, but the story was a bit incoherent. looking forward to this season and hope they fixed that issue

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't know what I'm reading in this thread, but oh well

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think the japanese cook things besides whales.

Lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they would have stopped whaling by now if not for idiotic and murderous american activists

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I want rice after watching Isekai Shokudou

So just about the same reaction as I had w/ the novel, 10/10

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Compendium posted:

I don't know what I'm reading in this thread, but oh well
same

i never go in the chat thread, so i keep thinking i misclicked and am reading it by accident

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davincie posted:

isekai shokudou is pro modern slavery and thus i strongly suggest avoiding it if you as a person have any morals at all

Then I shall watch it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also if you have a job and support the idea of people having jobs you are a "wagecuck", sorry to tell you.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Homura and Sickle posted:

in non whale news they released a new pv for s2 of kekkai sensen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD9zDA8Ih0U

OCTOBER YAAAAAAAAYYYY

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think it's as much that s1 was incoherent as 80% of the show was directly adapted from an almost entirely episodic manga

anyway i'm looking forward to s2 a lot but i'm also a bit wary cause the only stuff i've seen from the new director was pretty plain, the music'll still be great though

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 4, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Compendium posted:

I want rice after watching Isekai Shokudou

So just about the same reaction as I had w/ the novel, 10/10
Sweetness and Lightning does that thing too.

Plutonis posted:

Also if you have a job and support the idea of people having jobs you are a "wagecuck", sorry to tell you.
Wait: Does that mean that I'm cheating on my job by supporting that other people have jobs? Or am I cheating in other jobs other people do by doing my current job?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Theowulv posted:

The owner was gonna pay her 10,000 yen before correcting himself to 10 silver coins. So her wage is 88 dollars and 22 cents in usd. So she makes 6.30 an hour. Which still isn't great but maybe she also gets tips.

Also gets 3 free meals during the shift from a guy who makes food some people pay literal gold for.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/disneyfireball/status/881848236402659328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think it would be interesting to explore the difference that a modern, fully-equipped kitchen makes in an otherwise medieval setting. Isekai Shokudou is not that show, but it's got a bunch of footage featuring wizards enjoying the hell out of lovingly rendered food, which is more or less what I wanted out of it.

Homura and Sickle posted:

i really liked the first season, it was stylish as hell, but the story was a bit incoherent. looking forward to this season and hope they fixed that issue
I enjoyed the individual episodes of BBB more than the overall plot arc, but goddamn were those some good episodes. They put out another 10 of those and I'll call it a win.

• Locked thread