Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

monster on a stick posted:

Opt-out is standard in class action suits. The idea being that if you are someone who isn't even aware of the lawsuit, you are automatically in, meaning you will be part of the suit and will receive your share of the settlement.

No, this is regarding "you agree to arbitration instead of a class action, unless you opt-out".

A few years back the supreme court ruled to allow this horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Class actions are a way to give a few lawyers millions of dollars and millions of people a few cents.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

couldcareless posted:

No Facebook installed and it seems to happen when I'm at home on my wifi (the signal is strong). It frequently happens when the phone is idle as well

Correction, I have Facebook messenger that I use very infrequently. I'll uninstall that and see how it goes.

Update on this from usage this morning, I disabled background data and let it chug along. Biggest issue I'm seeing is screen on time doesn't come close to awake time. I went through and purged a few more apps that I never use, but really my phone is pretty slim as far as junk apps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Class actions are a way to give a few lawyers millions of dollars and millions of people a few cents.

Exactly, literally the whole point is to take the millions of dollars from the company that wronged the customers. That's the entire raison d'etre.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mental Hospitality posted:

E: Phone related, the Huawei Mate 9 continues to be my favorite phone ever. Don't buy a One Plus anything, buy this. It's got a huge screen while being the same size as many 5.5in phones, gets 10 hours of screen-on-time, and takes good pictures.

Glad you like the Mate 9. I tried to buy one three times and every time I got a box with a fake Chinese phone inside (the nonworking displays they put on store shelves). Amazon wound up delisting them because someone was stealing them at the factory and resealing them with that crap inside. Wish I'd gotten a real one, the pictures look great.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Im so glad i skipped out on one plus anything.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I got $400 for a Verizon class action many years ago. So no your hot take isn't informed

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

oh no i'm owned

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

I made out pretty well in the Ticketmaster class action suit. I have so many promo codes that I can't use!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

nimper posted:

I made out pretty well in the Ticketmaster class action suit. I have so many promo codes that I can't use!

Not to mention all of the people just redeeming all of their promo codes on pairs of tickets to events they then try to scalp.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

Is Samsung still keeping compatibility with Gear VR for all these new phones?

The current gear VR works with S6/edge up to the s8+ including the note 5

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nimper posted:

Was the ebook price fixing technically a class action suit? I think I got $20ish for that.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Can I swap out the Android emojis without rooting my phone? Couple of searches suggests "no" but since I'm new to Android maybe I'm just not searching for the right things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tivac posted:

Can I swap out the Android emojis without rooting my phone? Couple of searches suggests "no" but since I'm new to Android maybe I'm just not searching for the right things.

No.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11601/nokia-6-to-hit-us-market-on-july-10-55-lcd-snapdragon-430-229

:lol: specs for the $340 International version, and a U.S version that only supports just one LTE non-main #5 band from AT&T.

The Glorious Nokia empire regaining their former glory is all but guaranteed

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11601/nokia-6-to-hit-us-market-on-july-10-55-lcd-snapdragon-430-229

:lol: specs for the $340 International version, and a U.S version that only supports just one LTE non-main #5 band from AT&T.

The Glorious Nokia empire regaining their former glory is all but guaranteed

That finishing description doesn't make sense. Anodized... twice? Polished "no less than" 5 times? :raise:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Like always, Nokia doesn't give a poo poo about the US, which is too much of a clusterfuck to bother trying to handle, and is instead targeting the rest of the world which has more sensible protocols?

Or they just suck because they're a lovely knockoff using the Nokia brand.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Rumor has it Samsung is working on an S8 mini with a 5.3 inch screen 18:9 screen and a Snapdragon 821 because of course it can't be an 835.

5.3 inches is not mini it's loving enormous jesus christ what is wrong with you people

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ColdPie posted:

5.3 inches is not mini it's loving enormous jesus christ what is wrong with you people

I have huge manly hands! Fear my masculinity as I use them to grasp my enormous phone and/or your woman!

they're actually quite dainty

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

ColdPie posted:

With an 18:9 screen and minimal bezel to screen ratio this would probably put it closer to the Galaxy S5 in terms of overall size. If that's still too big for you might I suggest a career change to politics?

Edit:
VVVVVVVV I haven't checked the actual numbers on the measurements vs the S5 but if the larger S8 is already at the S5 size that would mean this is even smaller... would probably be in line with the iPhone 5?

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 4, 2017

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ColdPie posted:

Its 5.3 inches on their weird aspect ratio, 18:9 or whatever. The S8 has a 5.8 inch screen but is the same size as the older 5 inch models.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Does it fit in my JNCOs?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea the s8's 5.8" screen isn't really huge unless you are watching ultra wide screen poo poo. The oneplus5's 5.5" basically has more usable space.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The S8 can definitely be called a smaller sized phone, the screen size is misleading because there's hardly any bezel

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The site I got it from said it would be the equivalent of a 4.7 inch "traditional" phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

http://www.displaywars.com/5,8-inch-d%7B18x9%7D-vs-5,3-inch-16x9

5.8" 18x9 is = to a 5.3" 16x9 if you cut off the end

A 5.3" 18x9 would be = to a 4.84" 16x9

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ColdPie posted:

Is this a POTUS tweet

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The latest s8 update made the ui really bad. If you dont want disapearing buttons you get this poo poo that never goes away. It also hosed with the colours, pretty sure it was black before.

How do I revert? Or atleast get rid of that annoying poo poo?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I wish I could have gotten disappearing buttons on my s8. Waste of screen space always having the nav buttons.

Exenos does get it but not Snapdragon devices

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

underage at the vape shop posted:

The latest s8 update made the ui really bad. If you dont want disapearing buttons you get this poo poo that never goes away. It also hosed with the colours, pretty sure it was black before.

I know of a way but you won't like it

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

FAUXTON posted:

I know of a way but you won't like it

What is it

I just want my buttons to be black without paying for themes, and that annoying message gone

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

What is it

I just want my buttons to be black without paying for themes, and that annoying message gone

Use navbar apps

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What is it

Go here and follow their instructions. Like I said, you may not like this option but it seems like a pretty straight forward way to solve the issue with your S8.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

FAUXTON posted:

Go here and follow their instructions. Like I said, you may not like this option but it seems like a pretty straight forward way to solve the issue with your S8.

The pixels gently caress off expensive in Australia, so is the s8, but I had connections and got it cheap.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Flip on it Gumtree and then use your cash to get a Pixel? Too late now.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Samsung'd

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Like always, Nokia doesn't give a poo poo about the US, which is too much of a clusterfuck to bother trying to handle, and is instead targeting the rest of the world which has more sensible protocols?

Or they just suck because they're a lovely knockoff using the Nokia brand.

All of Europe is on LTE bands 1, 3, 7, & 20 with the exception of... Nokia's home country of Finland which adds bands 31 & 38. There are some oddball bands here and there (40, 42) but for the most part those 4 cover the entire continent while leaving out some minor carriers.

For America and leaving out Sprint because LOL SPRINT, one needs to cover bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, & 17 which sound like a lot but in actuality are really just three frequency bands divided into separate blocks. Where things get a little hairy is Verizon CDMA and of course trying to cover Sprint's garbage network but manufacturers can safely ignore Sprint if they'd rather have international frequencies in their modem and Verizon (I think) is now accepting devices that lack CDMA compatibility entirely.

Their decision to skip American bands is purely arbitrary at least from a technological perspective. I don't know if modem availability on that Snapdragon chipset is limited by Qualcomm however and that might be more the issue than anything.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I'm surprised more of you haven't destroyed your Pixels given the lack of water resistance and the sheer amount of semen that must be spilling on your phones from all the circle jerking.

See if these steps still work for you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ahahahahahahaha "tap here to fill entire screen"

Somebody thought that needed to exist. How are they so bad at ux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Everything in that screenshot looks godawful. And I'm not a Pixel Jerker.

Flip that phone for a G5+ and a bunch of cash.