Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dongattack posted:

I've done that multiple times and it's never been a issue.

You may see your old name sometimes around the world because either by wandering in somewhere or starting quests you triggered stuff like notes that reference you by name to be spawned and they do not update.

Okay so I did this. It seems to break something on SE: saves are organized by character name, so you can't see your old saves. Also, auto saves go under your old name. Turning off then reactivating the auto save types seemed to fix them though.

In contrast, letters in my inventory that mentioned me updated to the new name.

None of this was a real problem for me, just worth noting for others doing it on SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah LOL if you didn't buy Legendar for like $10 on the steam sale before SE was released.

Edit: Even greater LOL if all you were missing was the incredibly cheap Hearthfires.

Yeah well I never got around to buying any of the DLC and I stopped playing for a long time so I didn't heard about SE until well after it was out so the $20 sale is my best option.

Didn't want that extra :10bux: anyway. :saddowns:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Arivia posted:

Okay so I did this. It seems to break something on SE: saves are organized by character name, so you can't see your old saves. Also, auto saves go under your old name. Turning off then reactivating the auto save types seemed to fix them though.

None of this was a real problem for me, just worth noting for others doing it on SE.

Ah yeah, i've never tried the SE edition. Sorry! Seems like you fixed it tho.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Arivia posted:

Personally I just use showracemenualternate which seems to have neatly avoided that particular issue.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

Arivia posted:

Does anyone know if or how much it'll gently caress up the game if I use the racemenu to change my character's name? I accidentally named her the same as a main plot character.

I'm rather curious what character you inadvertently named yourself after if you don't mind sharing. You should kill them and take their place.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Owl posted:

I'm rather curious what character you inadvertently named yourself after if you don't mind sharing. You should kill them and take their place.

Okay so I couldn't think of a name. I'm playing a Breton woman, so I ended up on UESP's canonical Breton names page. I chose Delphine, because I've always liked it and it was apparently in Skyrim already so I knew it was appropriate. I ended up using the ever popular shipwreck and freezing by Winterhold LAL start. When I made my way down to Helgen to start the main quest, I ran into Delphine at the inn. Nice to get meeting my doppleganger out of the way early, and she's just an innkeeper. Oh no. Wait. Isn't she...? I've never finished the main quest but I have played through enough to remember that yep, she's Grandmaster of the Blades.

Can't exactly kill her and take her place. I'm pretty sure she's marked essential.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
There's a mod for that...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ynglaur posted:

There's a mod for that...

You can also just straight up ~disable her.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah but I kind of want to do the main quest sometime :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

She becomes completely irrelevant once you do the negotiation stuff at High Hrothgar and you push into Sovngaarde. Hell, the last time I played through the game I straight up shouted her and Esbern off the mountain as they were leaving.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Arivia posted:

Get up to where she tries to have you kill parthunax, download the mod that lets you shout her down for her pig headed stupidity, then disable her essential state and shout her off a cliff when no one is looking.

Problem solved.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I've just run into a fairly unpleasant bug in the main Dawnguard quest chain, at the end of A New Order. After it's finished, what's supposed to happen is that Isran checks you for vampirism, then invites you upstairs to talk to Serana, and the Prophet quest starts. What's been happening to me is that, after the quest finishes, Isran goes through his normal routine, but Serana doesn't appear in Fort Dawnguard and the Prophet quest doesn't start up. I don't know whether it's important, but Serana still shows up in Castle Volkihar after finishing New Order, and the gates that are supposed to appear when Isran checks you for vampirism are also missing.

So far I've tried going through the quest from earlier saves, and activating the quest through the console, but neither have worked so far. Does anyone have any advice?

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 28, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If all I have is a GT 710, I should probably stick with the FXAA injector instead of ENB, right?

Not than I can find an ENB compatible with my ENBoost, anyway.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't understand your question, but every ENB includes ENBoost. All ENBoost is, is an ENB with no aesthetic alterations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Have you tried loading the game up on that GPU first? It'll run, but if you haven't, you really need to see what sort of performance you can get out of it before you even think about wrappers and injectors to make things look any more pretty.

Also, if you're on an Intel CPU, consider giving the integrated graphics on it a whirl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6ltBCMDCE Relevant numbers @ 4:40.

Good luck. And I don't mean that to be condescending. I've had times where my only option was literally bottom of the barrel, but sometimes it pleasantly surprised me.

But yes. If you do feel you have the headroom, FXAA injectors over ENB. They are often about the same performance penalty as the vanilla FXAA.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, it can run Skyrim in high settings, but I dunno if you really should be pushing ultra high before loving around ENB things.(the lights part, already have the boost up and running)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, that's well enough. A lot of the ultra settings are well past diminishing returns, usually crippling performance for no appreciable visual improvement. If you're already at high and comfortable with performance, give ENB a shot. Find one of the worst performing areas in the game and start ticking on/off features until you find things you like/can get away with. Even if it's just the shadows, they're WAY better than vanilla shadows, and would be a MUCH better option than High -> Ultra shadows. It's basically just a DLL, so if it doesn't work you can quickly get rid of it and go check out FXXA injectors

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 27, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Beyond Skyrim: Bruma is out for Oldrim.

They had some problems but they already patched it.

Special Edition version was delayed to fix some problems, possibly related, and to port it. Which is unfortunate because SSE is so much more stable and my current playthrough is on it and I can't enjoy it for at most a few days :argh:.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Goddamn the Ordinator Thief's Eye perks are broken. Free incredible loot for picking locks in people's homes with no respawn timer.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Arivia posted:

Goddamn the Ordinator Thief's Eye perks are broken. Free incredible loot for picking locks in people's homes with no respawn timer.
The creator will want to hear about this if you haven't mentioned it already, I'm sure they'll appreciate it! They openly encourage users to report any issues they come across and the change log includes many lamentations about seemingly nobody noticing that certain perks haven't worked at all for several iterations (among other things).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

basalt posted:

The creator will want to hear about this if you haven't mentioned it already, I'm sure they'll appreciate it! They openly encourage users to report any issues they come across and the change log includes many lamentations about seemingly nobody noticing that certain perks haven't worked at all for several iterations (among other things).

I don't think he was talking about it not working, he was talking about it being OP as gently caress.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

orange juche posted:

I don't think he was talking about it not working, he was talking about it being OP as gently caress.
The mod description says the effect is only supposed to occur once within a set period of time, so this behaviour doesn't seem intentional.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

basalt posted:

The mod description says the effect is only supposed to occur once within a set period of time, so this behaviour doesn't seem intentional.

The full perk chain removes the cooldown if you complete the robbery quickly.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Caphi posted:

The full perk chain removes the cooldown if you complete the robbery quickly.
Oh, I see! That does seem a little excessive.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

basalt posted:

The most apt description of every enaisiaion mod

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

basalt posted:

And it also leads to a bunch of perks that increase treasure generated overall. The thing is that it completely replaces whatever's in the existing chest as a new loot spawn, so it doesn't matter if you just cleared it out. I could easily do a route between Warmaiden's and Belethor's in Whiterun, getting an ebony piece per chest (at level 24.) I'm not sure if he's doing it normally or from a mod, but Belethor is happily buying the stolen-flagged loot that I just stole from him upstairs.

It's okay though. The Genesis mod turns pretty much any dungeon fight into a clown car of 10+ enemies way above my level, so I'm really just barely keeping pace.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Meanwhile I'm really happy that Ordinator adds the ability to Perform so I can have my character play a lute for 150 gold pieces once a day :downs:

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

Cephas posted:

Meanwhile I'm really happy that Ordinator adds the ability to Perform so I can have my character play a lute for 150 gold pieces once a day :downs:

You might enjoy a mod called Become A Bard. Let's you learn a bunch of new fairly appropriate songs and perform in taverns and inns, or just wherever I guess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mr. Owl posted:

You might enjoy a mod called Become A Bard. Let's you learn a bunch of new fairly appropriate songs and perform in taverns and inns, or just wherever I guess.

On that note (ha) are there any decent mods that expand the repertoire of the existing bards? Because if I have to hear Ragnar The Red one more loving time...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One of the Hearthfire bards is literally cringe inducing singing that.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I copy/pasted the ENB files into my directory, in addition to a preset I liked, but nothing has happened. What did I gently caress up? I'm using Mod Manager, but as far as I know ENB and SKSE need to be pasted into the games directory.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone else feel that the Special Edition is way more stable than old Skyrim? I'm running a bunch of mods (though I have taken care to mostly just use ones that seem like they might work well together) and have even been adding them as I've been playing. I think I have had one CTD.

This is a new and weird experience.

Might be because of the lack of extended script mods, maybe.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Randarkman posted:

Anyone else feel that the Special Edition is way more stable than old Skyrim?

Well it's supposed to be.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Anyone else feel that the Special Edition is way more stable than old Skyrim? I'm running a bunch of mods (though I have taken care to mostly just use ones that seem like they might work well together) and have even been adding them as I've been playing. I think I have had one CTD.

This is a new and weird experience.

Might be because of the lack of extended script mods, maybe.

Special edition is a shitload more stable than oldrim.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
It definitely is more stable, and a much smoother experience. Lack of SKSE hurts, though, and there are enough hacks/fixes based on SKSE that you can at least get Oldrim to be somewhat stable.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RobotDogPolice posted:

I copy/pasted the ENB files into my directory, in addition to a preset I liked, but nothing has happened. What did I gently caress up? I'm using Mod Manager, but as far as I know ENB and SKSE need to be pasted into the games directory.

Did you do the required changes to skyrimprefs.ini? Specifically, did you add "bFloatPointRenderTarget=1" to the ini under the display header?

Did you turn off Skyrim's anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing?

ENB requires both of these to function.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cat Mattress posted:

Well it's supposed to be.

It is, but then this is Bethesda we're talking about, so the fact that they succeeded is worth noting.

SE is hugely more stable for me, I've had one CTD that I couldn't trace to a mod after about 50 hours of play. That's an order of magnitude better than Oldrim.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Arivia posted:

A "main quest"? What mod adds that?

real post: is SKSE for SE still in "eventually, maybe, whenever we get around to it, don't wait up" territory or have they started actually working on it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

just fired up enderal last night and it's terribly impressive, though a bit more railroady at the start than i'd like. is there a list of good mods for it, or is it best to avoid mods to keep it stable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

YellerBill posted:

A "main quest"? What mod adds that?

real post: is SKSE for SE still in "eventually, maybe, whenever we get around to it, don't wait up" territory or have they started actually working on it

They worked on it for a while, real life took over, and then decided that if they don't have the time to work on it, no one does, and turned down all offers of help, because it's their baby, and they are special snowflakes who own possession over the project, etc etc etc.

I sincerely doubt they will ever get back to it.