Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's inaccurate.

Caulifla started to be dumped on the moment she went super saiyan 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's inaccurate.

Caulifla started to be dumped on the moment she went super saiyan 2.

This is accurate.

Seriously the moment she started to upstage Cabba is the moment the Usual Suspects started coming out the wood work

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732619

Welcome, friend

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

This is accurate.

Seriously the moment she started to upstage Cabba is the moment the Usual Suspects started coming out the wood work

The "weird" thing is Cabba got to be super saiyan just as easily and no one said anything.

I say "weird" because everyone knows exactly why this is the case.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay, I don't LIKE doing this but lemme play devil's advocate here: people accepted Cabba transforming because it was a traditional "get real mad and go super saiyan" transformation, while Caulifla got a "just focus your energy on your upper back it's fine". DBZ nerds are very protective of power levels and how things "should" work, so it's no surprise people got pissy about that. I didn't see many people especially pissed at SSJ2 or even Kale going Broly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The super saiyan transformation got backlash, but SS2 ignited it all over again.

But really, the thing that tips it over to full blown misogny is that Goten and Trunks didn't even have to work to become super saiyan, and yet no one says anything about that anymore. Caulifla at least had to put some, albeit meager, effort into it.

Kale dodges some of it due to people knowing it was coming, but at the same time, she gets other kinds of crap thrown at her for "ripping off Broly", or disparaging remarks about what they're hinting at regarding her sexuality.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

seiferguy posted:

Who are these "people"? Is this measured in reddit upvotes or something?

Reddit, Youtube, various places, look at some of the top voted comments on this video for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANk4YWiOEgc
"hope they smack caulifa in the tournament and gogeta drops kale lmao"
"caulifla need to respect her elders"
"I want that Caulifla person to see Goku and Vegeta fighting serious and at full strength so she gets nervous and scared. I'm sick of how she thinks she's better than everyone. I hope it hits her hard that there are 2 other saiyans in front of her that outclass her completely."
"Lol Caulifla talking a lotta poo poo. Bitch, you JUST became a Super Saiyan a few hours ago. You in no position to talk poo poo. Goku and Vegeta will eat you alive."
"Goku goes SSB
Caulifla: Still wanna be friends?
Goku: No Punches Caulifla in the face"
"gently caress caulifla she a bitch"
"Caulifla is begging to get her rear end kicked"
"caulifa is hella disrespectful to my man goku. She needs to be put in her place"

etc.
I think some Dragonball fans might have a few issues.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 3, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the back tingles absolutely played a role in it because, let's be honest now, that was kinda dumb and an unnecessary bit of additional explanation for something that didn't need it. and dismissing the main character is gonna get some people against you, even if it doesn't make any sense

but it is true that a segment of the audience would have disliked caulifla and kale no matter what they did. the rest is just a way for them to justify it to themselves. it's not like the back tingles affect caulifla as a character or w/e so disliking her for it is weird

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the back tingles absolutely played a role in it because, let's be honest now, that was kinda dumb and an unnecessary bit of additional explanation for something that didn't need it. and dismissing the main character is gonna get some people against you, even if it doesn't make any sense

but it is true that a segment of the audience would have disliked caulifla and kale no matter what they did. the rest is just a way for them to justify it to themselves. it's not like the back tingles affect caulifla as a character or w/e so disliking her for it is weird

It's not really an unnecessary explanation I'd say. In fact if you want to be honest about it it's an entirely necessary explanation. Super Saiyan transformations quite literally can't just be triggered by being super angry or else Goten and Trunks would make no sense and Gohan and Goku's thing about doing a Super Saiyan Without Pissy Rage Issues wouldn't either.

"How did Goten and Trunks transform if they never got their rage boners on" is conveniently and comfortably explained by "they can do it because there's an easier method that's easy to figure out once you know what Super Saiyan is."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah. my point is more that people got mad because of it "cheapening" Super Saiyan (nevermind the bargain sale having done that since the Buu saga) AND because the average nerd doesn't like women as active protagonists. There's a justification and then it's all exacerbated by misogyny - it's basically the Rey thing in Force Awakens, where she's a "Mary Sue" for doing basically the same thing Luke did.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The "back tingles" make sense. There's always been a correlation between the body and the spirit in Dragon Ball, with characters training their physical form taking particular emphasis. With the super saiyan transformation focusing on anger, focusing tension and one's energy on the back, which tighten in times of stress combined with the torso being the center for a pool of energy in a lot of stuff DB and anime derive from, Cabba - who is a different kind of saiyan than the more emotionally driven U6 ones - finding a different path to activate super saiyan as a way of teaching others by paying attention to how it affects the body is something that actually works, in my opinion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Black August posted:

a vast majority of the fans loving hate women and jerk off to Videl being beaten up and would loathe to see a single one of them fight and hold their own against Power Levels

same poo poo different shonen

Oh God dammit. God loving damnit.

seiferguy posted:

There's something weird about being transferred next to the God of your universe and having to watch the hope of your universe fade.

Yeah. Naruto Shippuden is one of my favorite animes except for the fact that the filler was awful, and the excessive use of flashbacks that sometimes would cover half an episode or more. Naruto Kai would easily be under 200 if done right.

Where is the insane nerd willing to do the most intensive fan edit ever conceived!?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really an unnecessary explanation I'd say. In fact if you want to be honest about it it's an entirely necessary explanation. Super Saiyan transformations quite literally can't just be triggered by being super angry or else Goten and Trunks would make no sense and Gohan and Goku's thing about doing a Super Saiyan Without Pissy Rage Issues wouldn't either.

"How did Goten and Trunks transform if they never got their rage boners on" is conveniently and comfortably explained by "they can do it because there's an easier method that's easy to figure out once you know what Super Saiyan is."

Yeah, I was just thinking that. Like its pretty obvious at this point that after the initial anger fueled transformation that pretty much all of the Saiyans know how to go Super without blowing their top so they must know how to control their energy to get there instead.

Course it still means that the whole thing is a lot cheaper than it was back in the namek saga, and for me begs the question as to how previous Saiyans didn't end up stumbling on it in the past, but that bridge has been well and truly crossed by the time of super.

I legit wonder if this was Toriyama's idea just to troll some people.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 4, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

goten did get mad and trunks was never shown. they are partially played as a joke at the expense of gohan and vegeta tho

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking that. Like its pretty obvious at this point that after the initial anger fueled transformation that pretty much all of the Saiyans know how to go Super without blowing their top so they must know how to control their energy to get there instead.

Course it still means that the whole thing is a lot cheaper than it was back in the namek saga, and for me begs the question as to how previous Saiyans didn't end stumbling on it in the past, but that bridge has been well and truly crossed by the time of super.

Goku only got mad enough to go Super because his best friend since he was a child was killed in front of him. According to Dragonball Minus, wasn't it implied Sayians didn't have families (Bardock and Gine being seen as an irregular exception as well as the royal family) and probably similarly kept weak friend relationships. As such, no one could suffer enough tragedy to awaken their genetic power, perhaps?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Course it still means that the whole thing is a lot cheaper than it was back in the namek saga, and for me begs the question as to how previous Saiyans didn't end stumbling on it in the past, but that bridge has been well and truly crossed by the time of super.

I think it's more that it's a necessity at this point so characters can actually stand up on a more even level and mitigate some of the power creep issues.

Super Saiyan Rage was the same thing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Covok posted:

Goku only got mad enough to go Super because his best friend since he was a child was killed in front of him. According to Dragonball Minus, wasn't it implied Sayians didn't have families (Bardock and Gine being seen as an irregular exception as well as the royal family) and probably similarly kept weak friend relationships. As such, no one could suffer enough tragedy to awaken their genetic power, perhaps?

But like even Bardock still clearly cared a lot about his teammates and I presume that that sort of thing would be fairly common with a warrior race. Seperate from that you also have Vegeta who went Super seemingly out of fear for his own life, admittedly after a lot of effort.

And then there's Goten, who seemed to just be training with his mother and things got a little hairy? I dunno its not very consistent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I always assumed that with Saiyans the issue was that they were a warrior race who blew through soldiers like they were tissue paper and none of them really lasted long enough to get beyond the early stages because they were all assholes who either effortlessly stomped their enemies or got super-killed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They were also a bunch of hedonistic, violent jerks who cowtowed to a tyrant who sold planets and a king who specifically hated anyone stronger than him.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

They were also a bunch of hedonistic, violent jerks who cowtowed to a tyrant who sold planets and a king who specifically hated anyone stronger than him.

Was this a thing outside of the Broly movies?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

khwarezm posted:

he blew up the planet and killed the entire race because of a rumor that someone could potentially get stronger than him in the future

e: o wait I read that all wrong. that does sound like movie filler but idk

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

TFRazorsaw posted:

The "back tingles" make sense. There's always been a correlation between the body and the spirit in Dragon Ball, with characters training their physical form taking particular emphasis. With the super saiyan transformation focusing on anger, focusing tension and one's energy on the back, which tighten in times of stress combined with the torso being the center for a pool of energy in a lot of stuff DB and anime derive from, Cabba - who is a different kind of saiyan than the more emotionally driven U6 ones - finding a different path to activate super saiyan as a way of teaching others by paying attention to how it affects the body is something that actually works, in my opinion.

I took it as explaining the whole rage thing as their boy tensing up and focusing Ki there anyway, and just doing it yourself is a way of getting it to shortcut it.

And if we're being honest here, Super Saiyan was pretty much a joke the second Trunks showed up. He's my favorite character and I don't mind it, but his whole deal pretty much undermined the legend, and then Vegeta got it too by crying and whining.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Bardock, which is another special. But I also remember reading something that said for King Vegeta's character, they consulted on Toriyama on what he'd be like, and that's what direction he led them towards.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Perhaps Vegeta's greatest weakness was that didn't treat poor Nappa like a friend, instead of a weak underling.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love that it's loving Nappa of all people that is like the first suggest intentionally using the Earthlings to recreate the Saiyan race.

Vegeta thinks its a bad idea at the time, of course.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nappa got the last laugh; he's getting his fifth Oscar this year.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

khwarezm posted:

Course it still means that the whole thing is a lot cheaper than it was back in the namek saga, and for me begs the question as to how previous Saiyans didn't end up stumbling on it in the past, but that bridge has been well and truly crossed by the time of super.

u can assume that most regular sayains didn't reach it because, even knowing where to concentrate your power, you need a certain baseline to be triggered into the transformation. kale caulifa and cabba are all ludicrously strong in their base form compared to even like, buu era base levels for our boys, so SS as we understood it as a benchmark for most of the series is more or less beneath them.

Caros
May 14, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Reddit, Youtube, various places, look at some of the top voted comments on this video for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANk4YWiOEgc
"hope they smack caulifa in the tournament and gogeta drops kale lmao"
"caulifla need to respect her elders"
"I want that Caulifla person to see Goku and Vegeta fighting serious and at full strength so she gets nervous and scared. I'm sick of how she thinks she's better than everyone. I hope it hits her hard that there are 2 other saiyans in front of her that outclass her completely."
"Lol Caulifla talking a lotta poo poo. Bitch, you JUST became a Super Saiyan a few hours ago. You in no position to talk poo poo. Goku and Vegeta will eat you alive."
"Goku goes SSB
Caulifla: Still wanna be friends?
Goku: No Punches Caulifla in the face"
"gently caress caulifla she a bitch"
"Caulifla is begging to get her rear end kicked"
"caulifa is hella disrespectful to my man goku. She needs to be put in her place"

etc.
I think some Dragonball fans might have a few issues.

Yes, because YouTube comments are famously indicative of a community, and not just generally a cesspit of the worst the world has to offer. I'm fairly certain you'd find people being lovely misogynists in Martha Stewart videos, and those aren't exactly aimed at teenagers who are notoriously lovely human beings.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

not all fans

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone who doesn't like the U6 saiyans, for any reason, is not worth defending.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anime fans bad, so what

also caulifla had an easy time going super saiyan because she's always angry

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I don't like cabbas design

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tbp posted:

I don't like cabbas design

Cabba was a much needed breath of fresh air after the billions of steroid junkies that apparently make up the whole saiyan race.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I like the Universe 6 saiyans. Have a little variety, why not?

Momomo posted:

I took it as explaining the whole rage thing as their boy tensing up and focusing Ki there anyway, and just doing it yourself is a way of getting it to shortcut it.

And if we're being honest here, Super Saiyan was pretty much a joke the second Trunks showed up. He's my favorite character and I don't mind it, but his whole deal pretty much undermined the legend, and then Vegeta got it too by crying and whining.

I don't think Trunks undermined the legend at first just because he was from the future. It was everything else after those 3 years and the cell saga that ramped everything out of control, with Gohan being the cap. That being said I don't even see the problem with the U6 Saiyans figuring it out much much quicker, because at this point, the blue or red hair is the goal now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Perhaps the real Super Saiyan was back pain all along.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Covok posted:

Perhaps the real Super Saiyan was back pain all along.

If only Goku had Icy Hot

Or wait, that means if he did, he'd probably die. Nevermind.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Caros posted:

Yes, because YouTube comments are famously indicative of a community, and not just generally a cesspit of the worst the world has to offer. I'm fairly certain you'd find people being lovely misogynists in Martha Stewart videos, and those aren't exactly aimed at teenagers who are notoriously lovely human beings.

Man, you have hundreds of people tripping over themselves to thumb up comments on how Caulifla should learn her place, and comparatively pretty much nobody is saying she's a cool badass or anything. I see the same to a lesser extent on Reddit, what else do I need to do to prove that there may be a slight bias against some of the ladies in the series among a lot of fans?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Caulifa's a bit meh to me since so far she's come across as just checking off everything fans wanted from a female Saiyan character - which is fine if that's what you wanted, but I find it a little too expected. The general stick-thin U6 Saiyan design also kinda looks weirder on her in a way, I dunno.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Caulifa's a bit meh to me since so far she's come across as just checking off everything fans wanted from a female Saiyan character - which is fine if that's what you wanted, but I find it a little too expected. The general stick-thin U6 Saiyan design also kinda looks weirder on her in a way, I dunno.

It's the tubetop. That frame with a tubetop makes you realize show how skinny she is. Kale and Cabba looks fine because you can't see their stomachs curve inward like a barbie doll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Caulifla looks perfectly fine and I will hear no more of this body shaming.

• Locked thread