Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My meta always targets him with CAW or Launch Assets. He has a habit of double reactor failing so we've nicknamed him the Kursk. It's purely a meta call. Putting one with the Taipeis is a really good shout though. I'll try both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

--------------------------------------
Starter set - 1474pts
PHR - 0 launch assets

SR20 Vanguard battlegroup (390pts)
1 x Leonidas - 195pts - H

SR8 Line battlegroup (267pts)
1 x Orpheus - 130pts - M
2 x Pandora - 100pts - L
1 x Calypso - 37pts - L

1 x Orpheus - 130pts - M
2 x Pandora - 100pts - L
1 x Calypso - 37pts - L

SR15 Line battlegroup (315pts)
1 x Perseus - 105pts - M
1 x Perseus - 105pts - M
1 x Perseus - 105pts - M

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (235pts)
2 x Pandora - 100pts - L
1 x Ganymede - 135pts - M
------------- dflist.com -------------

Just getting into this and looking at making this out of a pair of starter sets and a pair of additional cruisers. Anything catastrophically bad about it? I just found it off with a 20pt admiral somewhere.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Karandras posted:

Starter set - 1474pts
PHR - 0 launch assets

SR20 Vanguard battlegroup (390pts)

1 x Orpheus - 130pts - M
2 x Pandora - 100pts - L
1 x Calypso - 37pts - L

1 x Orpheus - 130pts - M
2 x Pandora - 100pts - L
1 x Calypso - 37pts - L

SR15 Line battlegroup (315pts)
1 x Perseus - 105pts - M
1 x Perseus - 105pts - M
1 x Perseus - 105pts - M

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (235pts)
2 x Pandora - 100pts - L
1 x Ganymede - 135pts - M

Just getting into this and looking at making this out of a pair of starter sets and a pair of additional cruisers. Anything catastrophically bad about it? I just found it off with a 20pt admiral somewhere.

You appear to have zero launch assets, which are a PHR strength. Maybe consider making one of the Leonidas into a Scipio? I don't have any experience with the Perseus, but you are pushing hard on them so this may or may not be a good thing!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Ugleb posted:

You appear to have zero launch assets, which are a PHR strength. Maybe consider making one of the Leonidas into a Scipio? I don't have any experience with the Perseus, but you are pushing hard on them so this may or may not be a good thing!

Yeah, I figured having zero launch was better than a little splash of it, as this way I 'waste' any points they've spent on Aegis or other anti-bomber stuff.

Perseus seemed like a good 300pts worth of powerful broadsides and a good way to have an aggressive pile of armour and damage to float about causing trouble.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Decided to move around my combat groups based on some combat cards. I've put the Toulons in with the Moscow for a maximum battery group for the Mass Driver card and punted one Jakarta into the Taipei group.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm a little confused about the Critical Locations rule. If a scenario has the critical locations rule (take the grid control scenario, for instance), does that mean all of the scoring locations are critical locations? Or that all are eligible to be critical locations if you scan it on a 5+ with something in low atmo?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's the latter if I remember correctly.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Ugh I don't know how many times I dealt with paint and glue clogging up the flight peg widget hole without thinking "gently caress it get a drill bit the exact size of the flight peg widget" and it's so much easier than trying to clean it out with a needle file and/or pin.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I made the "mistake" of using superglue to stick my unpainted models to sticks while painting them, and using a drill to redo the flight peg holes is so good. It just terrifies my wife that I am going to stab through the mini and mangle my hand. I used hot glue for my current batch and I imagine that will clean out far easier.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, I finally got that replacement hull for my Saratoga! My replacement rear hull. Which I can't friggin' use on account of the fact I'd already glued both halves of the ship together when I noticed the defect. FFS. Then again, I can't really complain, I'm not sure I would have believed me either...

Guess I can use it to convert a wreck or something. At least the missing chunk of the engine that lead me to send off for it in the first place shouldn't be super hard to replace.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
There is a 15min interview with Dave up on BoW about UK Games Expo and show models. Nothing really new in there that I noticed. I was mostly hoping for a mention of kickstarter wave 2.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/hawk-wargames/hawk-ukge/

However, as Dave has clearly taken time to fly over to Northern Ireland, this does imply some new recorded content on the cards with BoW. Maybe something to announce on the weekender?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Still haven't heard anything on my talon app since I sent in the fixed application form in march. Should I bug Hawk Liam about it?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Absolutely. That's the #1 hawk advice: go bug Liam about it.

Edit: I basecoated a whole box of spaceships last weekend.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 1, 2017

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

PHR and Shaltari battlecruisers shown off:

I think Scourge takes the winner for best looking of the four.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

They do but drat if I don't want all of them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Maybe it's just me, but I think the UCM one looks kinda junk.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

UCM seems to be dividing opinion, but I like what I can see.

PHR looks decent, kinda chunky looking like the kickstarter version but I may prefer the three wings. I still wish Dave had put some panel lines on them tbh but its not a deal breaker.

The Shaltari is surprisingly similar to the kickstarter version at first glance with the four weapon prongs.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

FYI there is a UK Dropfleet tournament coming up in Bournemouth on Sunday 25th June. I know the guy organising it and he knows his stuff so I expect it will be well run.

It is 999pts, 3 games single day event.

Sign ups are low for some reason (I suspect it being on the Sunday might be a thing) so they need to get some more tickets sold over the next week else it will be postponed. The good news is a small field means more chance of prizes! I'm likely going once I juggle my calendar.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm working sadly. Bit of a trip for me but would have been fun.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah it got cancelled. But there was a Dropzone event at Firestorm on Saturday which may have been a factor there.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

We had 12-14 here for that which was pretty cool. I was working though so couldn't play. :( you should come to the next one!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I need one bloody tourney to fall on a weekend I'm not working. And there doesn't seem to be one at warfare this year.

And now with some ship images!

Oath Complete

First up the battleship Marcus Aurelius, in all three configurations.

Then the Avalon class battle-cruiser Nero (It has a burn-through laser. Mwah ha ha I pun so gud.)

Finally the light cruisers Romulus and Remus - one is in New Cairo configuration and the other in Osaka configuration.

I love magnets.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 26, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So the Battlecruisers are now up for preorder with a July 28th date.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

"The Advanced Sectors Pack is now available exclusively direct from the Hawk Wargames website."

boooo

I just got the regular sectors and they look great, I hope these don't stay website exclusive.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sojenus posted:

"The Advanced Sectors Pack is now available exclusively direct from the Hawk Wargames website."

boooo

I just got the regular sectors and they look great, I hope these don't stay website exclusive.

I noticed that too. I'm not sure what to make of it tbh. Have the standard sectors sold slowly enough to dissuade them from retail?

Are Hawk trying to encourage direct sales?

Did they just screw up the wording of the announcement?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Well, I still haven't actually found a second person interested in trying my starter set, but I did start painting it. Maybe with some colors on the plastic it'll be an easier sell to folks.

EDIT: Also, I think I may be a convert to 10mm scale just for funsies painting regardless. These were a joy to work on this morning.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 29, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I tend to find smaller scale stuff more fun to paint. 28mm just doesn't interest me that much now. I prefer the more realistic battlefield scale of 6/10/15mm

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The space station kit is doing nothing but giving me crippling analysis paralysis.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sojenus posted:

The space station kit is doing nothing but giving me crippling analysis paralysis.

I "solved" this by more or less recreating the ones on the box art.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Played some UCM vs PHR this weekend. Turns out burnthrough lasers are hit or miss (both a Bellerophon and a Berlin underperformed), and corvettes are good but don't quite make up for a severe deficit in drop assets (I am not sure where the balance is on adding a corvette vs taking another strike carrier).

We only have pictures from the end of each of the first three turns because we forgot to take more pictures and had to end the game after four turns.

Turn one:

Turn two:

Turn three:

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

I "solved" this by more or less recreating the ones on the box art.

Yeah, I was thinking of just modifying the box art setups.

Or gently caress it and:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Decided to attend Critical Engagement and get some Dropzone on this weekend now I need to come up with a 1k PHR list, some kind of plan and find out how rusty I am....

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I might have a need for 999 DZC lists in the future.

In the meantime, I'm really annoyed that you can't have two Vanguard groups in 999pt DFC. Means I'll need to buy a cruiser or starter box to fill out 999pt UCM.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

Decided to attend Critical Engagement and get some Dropzone on this weekend now I need to come up with a 1k PHR list, some kind of plan and find out how rusty I am....

spam fast movers I hear they're all the rage in this game.

Dzc needs some love big time

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I might have a need for 999 DZC lists in the future.

In the meantime, I'm really annoyed that you can't have two Vanguard groups in 999pt DFC. Means I'll need to buy a cruiser or starter box to fill out 999pt UCM.

Yeah, it is frustrating not to be able to field two heavy cruisers or battlecruisers without cramming them together (and even then, running into the battlegroup point percentage cap pretty badly). Still, a few extra cruisers are helpful. Based off that one 750 pt game, I think I'll be glad to have at least one San Francisco in most lists even if it gets blown up pretty often. And then I'll still be happy with Moscow/BC, Berlin, Seattle, 2x New Cairo/Saratoga, fill the rest with Santiagos, strike carriers, and frigates.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

spam fast movers I hear they're all the rage in this game.

Dzc needs some love big time

You joke, but I do love the Athena....

Also considering a Hades and putting too many eggs in one glorious basket.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So the Critical Engagement missions are these:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KnUpiuvhR7SDNzMUd6V09LSlE/view

I read that as there will be a need to fight over objective buildings/bunkers in every mission while holding focal points or critical locations as well. As I still haven't picked up any Mechit A2's I'm short on flamers so I guess it will have to be a decent CQB presence instead. Janus are my AA and will be used to expand command radius. I think I may be short on AA here but strong on stuff to drop on focal points.

[size=150]2017 Crit Engagement V2[/size]
Clash: 998/1000 points
Standard Army
  • PHR Standard Roster [998/1000 pts]
    • [color=#915591]Hand of the Sphere[/color] [241 pts]
      • Command Squad: Zeus(Councillor), Odin, Neptune [241 pts]
    • [color=#98741F]Battle Pantheon[/color] [124 pts]
      • Battle Squad: 2x Ares, Neptune [124 pts]
    • [color=#697641]Immortals[/color] [111 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1(+Stealth Missiles) [111 pts]
    • [color=#697641]Immortals[/color] [111 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1(+Stealth Missiles) [111 pts]
    • [color=#A29B28]Pegasus Group[/color] [287 pts]
      • Janus Squad: 2x Janus, Triton A2(+Stealth Missiles) [74 pts]
      • Sirens: 2x Sirens, Triton A1(+Stealth Missiles) [139 pts]

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 5, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Seems a bit tight on infantry maybe? I'm not great at critiquing PHR though, I just know I always run out of bastarding infantry as UCM and end up having to take 4 squads. Doesn't seem that many objectives though at the same time.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Seems a bit tight on infantry maybe? I'm not great at critiquing PHR though, I just know I always run out of bastarding infantry as UCM and end up having to take 4 squads. Doesn't seem that many objectives though at the same time.

1K points games, 4 squads is a push. Unless I try to get a medusa in there.

Came up with another variation with heavier AA.

[size=150]2017 Crit Engagement V4[/size]
Clash: 999/1000 points
Standard Army
  • PHR Standard Roster [999/1000 pts]
    • [color=#915591]Hand of the Sphere[/color] [186 pts]
      • Command Squad: Zeus, Odin, Neptune [186 pts]
    • [color=#98741F]Battle Pantheon[/color] [284 pts]
      • Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]
    • [color=#697641]Immortals[/color] [101 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]
    • [color=#A29B28]Pegasus Group[/color] [203 pts]
      • Sirens: 2x Sirens, Triton A1 [129 pts]
    • [color=#697641]Immortals[/color] [101 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Very true with the points and PHR costs, I think I prefer the second list but I'm not the best judge. :v: AA is just too drat important.

I'm gonna be playing some Dropfleet in the upcoming weeks to get back into it at 1kpts. Anyone mind ripping these lists?

List 1
999 - 997pts
UCM - 9 launch assets

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (279pts)
1 x Atlantis - 205pts - H
+ UCM Commodore (40pts, 3AV)
2 x Lima - 74pts - L

SR12 Line battlegroup (328pts)
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (143pts)
1 x Madrid - 79pts - M

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (227pts)
1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L
5 x Taipei - 195pts - L

List 2
999 - 998pts
UCM - 6 launch assets

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (269pts)
2 x Lima - 74pts - L
1 x Avalon - 195pts - H
   + UCM Commodore (40pts, 3AV)

SR10 Line battlegroup (209pts)
1 x Madrid - 79pts - M
3 x Santiago - 66pts - L

SR12 Line battlegroup (328pts)
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (172pts)
1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L
4 x Toulon - 140pts - L

Think I prefer the first list but it's using the Limas to purely snipe from way back across the table on the first opener turns. No lasers though which are like the best thing about UCM..