Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Up Circle posted:

so elven mercenary is back to closed beta style?

you can more consistently play 7 cards on turn one than in closed beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the old dream is over. the new dream is as follows

Merc - > rally -> Merc - > rally -> Merc - > rally -> BLUE MOUNTAIN -> ape men immediately returned to the sea

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Even without rally you could just run buffs... rally is funny when you get a big chain going but it's unpredictable. But even something boring like merc + swallow potion would be an easy 10 point bronze that also gives deck thinning.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
you demonstrate a profound lack of understanding of how fun works

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah 3 mercs, 3 clear skies, 3 blue mountain commandos, 2 Thunderbolts, and 4 other bronze units will empty your deck of bronzes in 7 cards. Add 4 more thinning cards (choose from Brouver, Apemen, Yaevinn, Ithlienne, whatever) and you're drawing every card in your deck every game for very little cost (you'll effectively play 14 cards throughout the game and have 15 cards to play throughout the game, so you can choose which of your two cards to play at the end during the last round mulligan). Mercs/clear skies/commandos are very blacklistable given that having two mercs or 1 merc 1 clear skies is fine.

If scoia cards are still bad enough that even a deck that consistent can't make it, yeah, sure.

Shows though why mulligan is an awkward fit for scoiatel now. Which class needs to mulligan LESS? And how anti-synergy are mercs with that wardancer?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i might retire my wardancers for blue mountain commandos now.

Please more ambush cards though (like old ida emean)

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Not a fan of murdering weather. I think the bigger issue was cards that synergized incredibly well with weather, particularly cards like Wild Hunt Hound and Aretuza Adept (because we all know deck filtering is secret OP).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

weather was an incredibly unfun mechanic and I'm glad it's dead

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Best patch change:

quote:

The black bar obscuring vision "enemy is choosing a card" is removed.

Turin Turambar posted:

The good thing is that with this design philosophy, we are going to have a 'new' game every month!
I've played a couple of games that deliberately balance like this (with full dev explanations accompanying each change) and it's actually pretty fun for this exact reason.

hampig fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 4, 2017

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's hard just to do the 6 rounds today with the patch in sight. Frost was the least fun thing humanly possible for this game. Praise God that poo poo will soon be gone.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh man, just popped Calvs ability and my next 3 cards were all golems, that's some poo poo.

Though I did get to pull off a huge swing with Coehoorn in another game, wiping out all 2 Emissaries, 3 Ambassadors, Cantarella and Wett in one go that won me the game.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I am so mystified why they decided to make it so Calveit can't pull golds anymore. Golems not actively loving with his ability is a sensible change, but hardly balance out his loss of gold pulling or even simply seeing them to better predict future draws. Was Calveit's 45% win percentage just too oppressive? Or was making Calveit progressively shittier the only idea they could come up with to make someone/anyone play Emyr? Reveal is looking pretty good though!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
probably has something to do with a real nilfboy being able to prune every single bronze from his deck in 3 or 4 turns

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
its cool how when they came up with the concept of summon vs spawn they assumed that spawning would be the stronger of the two

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lol these changes feel really extreme, I hope they actually playtested these even a little bit this time. Kinda bummed that weather monsters won't be a thing anymore, consume is good but I don't really enjoy playing it. Weather actually felt relatively balanced for monsters because your own stuff wasn't getting bigger off it like SK was - kinda think they should maybe just limit certain weather to certain factions or something and balance like that instead of just making weather worthless.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Subvisual Haze posted:

I am so mystified why they decided to make it so Calveit can't pull golds anymore. Golems not actively loving with his ability is a sensible change, but hardly balance out his loss of gold pulling or even simply seeing them to better predict future draws. Was Calveit's 45% win percentage just too oppressive? Or was making Calveit progressively shittier the only idea they could come up with to make someone/anyone play Emyr? Reveal is looking pretty good though!

Yeah one of the biggest reasons to play him in the first place was to be able to know what the next 2 cards in your deck are, so you can manipulate what you draw with Cantarella/Cahir/ect. I bet Emhyr will see a lot more play after this patch.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
When's this patch dropping?

Also, HALLELUJAH! they are nerfing weather. Good riddance, now maybe I'll be able to play against decks that use actual unit cards instead of ten thousand spells and a smattering of golds.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
"The next few days" so probably Wednesday?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trogdos! posted:

How? It now can only damage 1 unit and the effect happens later

Also Caranthir moves 3 units intead of 5 yet the frost he applies can only damage 1 unit lmao

Misunderstood the fog thing. Well gently caress.

I danged well hope I get full mill credit for Caranthir. :mad:

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Well those changes were pretty extreme holy moly.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Renew only pulling from your own graveyard is a huge change as well. On the plus side maybe it won't be an auto-include anymore.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Renew only pulling from your own graveyard is a huge change as well. On the plus side maybe it won't be an auto-include anymore.
It was like this in CB and was never, ever played.

HOWEVER, the mull changes might make this playable. They've made Dijkstra/Royal decree go from terrible and never played ever to fun and playable so maybe Renew will end up the same way.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

No Wave posted:

It was like this in CB and was never, ever played.

HOWEVER, the mull changes might make this playable. They've made Dijkstra/Royal decree go from terrible and never played ever to fun and playable so maybe Renew will end up the same way.

Yea, I can definitely see the usefulness of it for certain decks but for my Consume deck it's now out.

NG Reveal got a hell of a lot more viable now with this patch and also prep yourself to run against NR every single round. It's going to be the new meta for sure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You don't have to worry about the other player taking your own Regis Higher Vampire anymore. Also you can still renew opponent's Succubus/Letho because it's in your own graveyard(but not your own Succubus/Letho).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I hope the end result of this patch isn't just that already good 37-card NR deck just becoming the new Skellige.

Slightly salty that I never got to play my Monster deck with Succubus actually functioning properly, but oh well. It's the only faction I have a lot of good stuff for so I hope there are still some good options for it.

v- oh yeah, I was referring to it still being broken on consoles, you can only place it in the opponent's first row.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 4, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Succubus is still gonna be really, really good when your opponent's doesn't have a D. Shackles. The change just makes it so you can't immediately un-lock it with Fiend/D. Shackles to counter that.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I hope the end result of this patch isn't just that already good 37-card NR deck just becoming the new Skellige.

Slightly salty that I never got to play my Monster deck with Succubus actually functioning properly, but oh well. It's the only faction I have a lot of good stuff for so I hope there are still some good options for it.

v- oh yeah, I was referring to it still being broken on consoles, you can only place it in the opponent's first row.

Right now it definitely looks like NR is going to replace SK as preferred meta.

Consume is still a viable deck so you're still going to be able to play it.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Consume isn't dead but it is a bit weaker abd NR was already a bad matchup.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

King Pawn posted:

How is it weaker? And I've had mixed success against NR, it's not as rough as matchup as monster weather.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

King Pawn posted:

Consume is in an great place though? If I had to guess consume monster and Northern Realms Swarm decks will be the new amazing because without frost spam (and stammelford's tremors only hitting 6 targets) crapping out units all over the place is much more viable. Those harpies and arachas being spawned all over the board will now be much harder to clear en masse.

edit: actually lacerate may well become a very desirable bronze.

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 4, 2017

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

You don't have to worry about the other player taking your own Regis Higher Vampire anymore. Also you can still renew opponent's Succubus/Letho because it's in your own graveyard(but not your own Succubus/Letho).

or, more importantly, djikstra.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

How is it weaker? And I've had mixed success against NR, it's not as rough as matchup as monster weather.

Well, harpy and succubus are certainly nerfed. Most people were playing the hybrid version so Eredin/Dagon, Caranthir are also hurt.

I suppose people will go back to playing the Unseen Elder pure consume version which may indeed be very good with weather so nerfed. I still think you're gonna get hosed by machines if NR is popular.

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 4, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
one faction is overperforming and another one's on the rise, nerf the top deck and buff the upcoming one by 15% each *dusts off hands*

stop slamming 20+ power changes to a deck each patch, jesus.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Why Blizzard doesn't like to change cards: Exhibit A. If you are gonna make big changes though, beta seems like a good time to do it.

hampig fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 4, 2017

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
My reveal deck stays pretty much the same. Bonhart got hit and the rest of the deck got a whopping +2 net power gain (3 spotters, 1 alchemist, Avallac'h)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Some of these feel like overreactions, but most of the changes are fine. I'm excited to see where the meta will go!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
who is schirru?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Up Circle posted:

who is schirru?

Some elf from the books I think.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Does this mean we can do the powder -> scraps 'trick' again?

I have tonnes of powder since I don't care about cards moving or making noise or whatever it does, would be nice to fill out my missing golds.

Also if we can do it again (I missed it last time) can someone explain how it works.

Is it

1) Take nerfed gold
2) Use powder on it (-powder)
3) Mill for 1600 scraps (-powder, +1600 scraps, -card)
4) Craft nerfed gold (-powder, +800 scraps)
5) Repeat till you run out of powder and have + 1 gajillion scraps)

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
They realized their mistake and changed it so that you get a full scrap and dust refund now for premiums. No dust->scrap conversion anymore.