Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The GOP loved to poo poo on the "community organizer" thing but it was massively better credentials than any of the law firm this and bank that bullshit the wonks put in their resumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Agnosticnixie posted:

The GOP loved to poo poo on the "community organizer" thing but it was massively better credentials than any of the law firm this and bank that bullshit the wonks put in their resumes.

its a huge reason why he coasted into the presidency. he had more legitimacy with the average person and didn't have to account for secretly loving capitalism way too much since it wasnt really on a record anywhere, plus with so little political experience he got to dodge the iraq war poo poo he clearly would have voted for.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Frijolero posted:

Uhh, Obama was the greatest of garbos

Then of course there's Hillary Clinton :laffo:

Eric Holder lol, Rahm is like 4-5 on the list of terrible human beings

See I disagree here.

They all suck because they're liberals. Rahm sucks because he's a genuine reactionary.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Eh tbf I'd probably call Hillary a conservative

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

How is that good?

Becoming a homemaker at age 18?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Concerned Citizen posted:

she supported both public option *and* medicare buy-in, two separate proposals (although she is a bit ambiguous there). she also supported a public option when she ran in 2008

She clearly conflates the two in that quote. What she means by "public option" isn't at all remotely what anyone else considers a public option.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

The idea that Democrats are owed votes from the American people purely because their polices are less harmful than the Republicans'. It has never worked. And it doesn't even make sense.

I don't think it's true that this strategy never works. I think it can work under certain conditions. Specifically, if a large enough portion of the American public is satisfied with the status quo, a strategy which focuses on opposition to a harmful opponent can be successful. This is because, when people are generally satisfied with their lives, they tend to be more concerned at the prospect of things becoming worse than they are interested in the prospect of making things better. I believe that a big cause of our current problems is that there's a huge disconnect between the quality of life of the types of people generally responsible for the direction of the Democratic Party (educated, well-off urban managerial-professionals, for lack of a better description) and the quality of life of a huge portion of the Democratic voter base. This disconnect has always existed to one degree or another, but it's particularly noticeable now.

A big part of me fears that societies will always tend to become reactionary once quality of life reaches a certain level; i.e. people will always start caring less about positive progress once a certain threshold of quality is reached, as we saw with Baby Boomers who were raised in a relatively prosperous country (provided you were white, at least). So, at best, a society will just fluctuate between progressive and reactionary policy.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bip Roberts posted:

Why do you care so much how adults choose to live their lives?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

i agree with her

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

nah

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
A race to the bottom where our fed government is essentially just throwing the entire population to the wolves would just end in balkanization/mad max hellscape

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

A race to the bottom where our fed government is essentially just throwing the entire population to the wolves would just end in balkanization/mad max hellscape

how else do you think this ends kid

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GalacticAcid posted:

See I disagree here.

They all suck because they're liberals. Rahm sucks because he's a genuine reactionary.

I'd call Hillary a centrist, Obama a tragic figure, and Rahm stinking pile of dogshit.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah Rahm deserves a special level of scorn even among the Dems, who are bad.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol he was obama's chief of staff
rahm 2020

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Bip Roberts posted:

It's not a life choice I would recommend. But, it seems like a very Republican response to see someone facing a potential problem in life and propose as a solution something that will disrespect their accomplishments, shame them, and make their life artificially more difficult while not actually helping them at all.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Rahm was like the archetype of Clinton's people who got in the WH because they needed to let her have a few surrogates on top of State to concede.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

lol he was obama's chief of staff
rahm 2020

Those Pod Save America fuckers bring up their time in the White House every once in a while about how Rahm Emanuel would have them go in to work even during a holiday just to work on the ACA some more and they're laughing, but to me it just sounded like learned helplessness.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
In honor of America Day and the Suck Zone: :patriot:

quote:

"Embrace the suck": Translation: The situation is bad, but deal with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxs924BWX80

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/881989353253163008

what the gently caress even

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
so glad that france avoided electing an authoritarian

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frijolero posted:

Uhh, Obama was the greatest of garbos

Then of course there's Hillary Clinton :laffo:

Eric Holder lol, Rahm is like 4-5 on the list of terrible human beings

Rahm is the only member of the Obama administration who is fascist without subterfuge.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

lol

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When I think companies with lots to say about long term strategy and operational sustainability, I think Zynga and Linkedin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/882262950807040000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

sucks in air through teeth

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Macron Wins: Now Europe Does What Investors Want

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

Macron Wins: Now Europe Does What Investors Want

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/882181907760414720

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Redonner Gloire a la France

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

steinrokkan posted:

When I think companies with lots to say about long term strategy and operational sustainability, I think Zynga and Linkedin

Both the DNC and Zynga had their leader break down in tears at their nadir, so they do have something in common

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
america is already great :abuela:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i mean if you're rich lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think it's true that this strategy never works. I think it can work under certain conditions. Specifically, if a large enough portion of the American public is satisfied with the status quo, a strategy which focuses on opposition to a harmful opponent can be successful. This is because, when people are generally satisfied with their lives, they tend to be more concerned at the prospect of things becoming worse than they are interested in the prospect of making things better. I believe that a big cause of our current problems is that there's a huge disconnect between the quality of life of the types of people generally responsible for the direction of the Democratic Party (educated, well-off urban managerial-professionals, for lack of a better description) and the quality of life of a huge portion of the Democratic voter base. This disconnect has always existed to one degree or another, but it's particularly noticeable now.

A big part of me fears that societies will always tend to become reactionary once quality of life reaches a certain level; i.e. people will always start caring less about positive progress once a certain threshold of quality is reached, as we saw with Baby Boomers who were raised in a relatively prosperous country (provided you were white, at least). So, at best, a society will just fluctuate between progressive and reactionary policy.

I've yet to see this strategy ever work in politics anywhere. The only time it "works" is when turnout for both sides is embarrassingly low. See: Bill Clinton.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

And turnout would be higher if he energized the base

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

why-some-men-dont-work-video-games-have-gotten-really-good.html

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

consumed by normies posted:

why-some-men-dont-work-video-games-have-gotten-really-good.html

this is not a joke btw its Real

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES