Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not traveling for business, but I am hauling my wife and 4 kids out of MCI to CLT tomorrow. Due to massive incompetence, my children's record locator is now different than mine, and they don't get free checked bags due to my credit card status.

They're sending me 100 bucks in vouchers so whatever, but I'm concerned about checking in and having them move the seats we were already assigned together. I could check us in online, separately, but I'll still have to check some bags when we get there.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to checking in online? I'm assuming that since our trip summaries still show the seats we selected, all together, that we shouldn't have any issues.

They shouldn't move your seats once you check in. If you decide to go the online route, you'll be asked to confirm seats (again) for both of your confirmation groups, and then save your selections prior to being issued your boarding pass.

Online shouldn't have any issues with you, but it might be worth politely speaking with a gate agent or desk agent once you get to the airport about keeping your family together. This is especially important if you end up in different zones or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

tomapot posted:

Oblivious I went to one with my wife and 10 year old daughter once. Once.

A few years ago the owner of Tilted Kilts did one of those Undercover Boss shows. He was shocked that putting scantily clad young women in an establishment that served alcohol could result in harassment.

He was a former CEO of Hooters and he gets super loving pissy if you call The Tilted Kilt a Breasturant chain or imply it has a similar business model.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crosspost from the legal thread:

quote:

I travel for work and I rent a car (with a company rental agreement) every week. A few months back, I was in an accident when I was away for work in a rental, and my company is trying to say they don't carry travel insurance for their employees and my personal insurance needs to handle it. I think this is absolutely insane and I've never heard of this before. I need to figure out what to do - call my insurance company? Call a lawyer? This isn't a small sum (~$11k) and it would absolutely destroy my insurance rates. I don't even think my insurance would cover it because I was driving a work vehicle for work purposes.

I'm going to be drinking tonight, I think.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I would be livid if that was my employer not having my back. What the gently caress. Sorry to hear that happened to you, I hope you have enough pull with your boss to get the company to fix it. Either way I'd be looking for a new job because they obviously don't give a drat about their employees.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

KillHour posted:

IANAL
I am reasonably sure that your insurance company won't cover this, even if you wanted them to. I know mine wouldn't, as they have no interest in subsidizing cheap business owners. When my work stopped the insurance it carried for rental car drivers, I started putting the usurious full coverage on the company card. gently caress this noise.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah... I don't have a company card. The company would refuse to reimburse it if I did that.

Is anyone hiring?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Don't most credit cards have rental insurance when you use them to get a rental car?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

So after spending 3 days in buttfuck Hicksville Tennessee I am now in small town central Florida between Orlando and Tampa and I'm gonna get drunk at one of the two nicest restaurants in the whole town

Chile's or Hooters boys what'll it be

Chili's. All the blandness and depression but without the desperation and slight awkwardness when turning in your expense report.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MickeyFinn posted:

IANAL
I am reasonably sure that your insurance company won't cover this, even if you wanted them to. I know mine wouldn't, as they have no interest in subsidizing cheap business owners. When my work stopped the insurance it carried for rental car drivers, I started putting the usurious full coverage on the company card. gently caress this noise.

Maybe? Driving somewhere for work in a rental is different than driving for hire ala Uber. And driving for hire without the proper coverage is where people get in to trouble. Regardless though, if they were driving a rental car for work on a company rate it is complete bullshit if they won't pay the deductible at the absolute bare minimum.

Most credit card rental insurance coverage is secondary, so that's unlikely to help.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KillHour posted:

When you say "work vehicle for work purposes" do you mean it was a specialized vehicle like a box van or something? Because IANAL but I've never considered a rental car to be a work vehicle for work purposes any more than a hotel room is a work bed for work purposes. It's a personal vehicle for personal purposes that you're provided with since you're away from your normal one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a normal car, but it's also a vehicle the company hired for the purposes of doing business. I don't see how it's different from a company car, in that respect.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Thoguh posted:

Most credit card rental insurance coverage is secondary, so that's unlikely to help.

Quoted because this is a fact that needs to be more broadly communicated. It's usually only good for the loss of use charges the rental company hits you with (that your primary insurance will not cover).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Chase Sapphire Reserve that I have is primary. But the accident has to be reported within 60 days and you have to fill out a form that says your insurance information (if any), presumably because they want you to use that first. It also only covers damage and theft of the car.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Thoguh posted:

When you say "work vehicle for work purposes" do you mean it was a specialized vehicle like a box van or something? Because IANAL but I've never considered a rental car to be a work vehicle for work purposes any more than a hotel room is a work bed for work purposes. It's a personal vehicle for personal purposes that you're provided with since you're away from your normal one.

This is entirely the opposite of the way I think about it. If the only reason you are doing whatever the activity is, is because work wants you to do it, and it is a departure from your normal routine (driving to work every day does not count), then it is a work expense. Flights, parking, hotels, miles to your home airport, food in nowhere, Indiana, baggage fees, rental cars, and some other things I'm not thinking of are all work expenses and work can cover them all, or they can find someone else to go. This includes the risk management, like car insurance. By your apparent rational, food shouldn't be covered because it isn't "work food, for work purposes" and that seems nuts to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

"Is this hotel stay for business or pleasure"
"Well I am here for work but I love to sleep so mark it as pleasure"

Makes no sense.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

This is entirely the opposite of the way I think about it. If the only reason you are doing whatever the activity is, is because work wants you to do it, and it is a departure from your normal routine (driving to work every day does not count), then it is a work expense. Flights, parking, hotels, miles to your home airport, food in nowhere, Indiana, baggage fees, rental cars, and some other things I'm not thinking of are all work expenses and work can cover them all, or they can find someone else to go. This includes the risk management, like car insurance. By your apparent rational, food shouldn't be covered because it isn't "work food, for work purposes" and that seems nuts to me.

I agree with you. The second I leave my house on a work trip, everything is a work expense for the most part. I would never consider any food, rental cars, hotels, or other reasonable expenses required to complete the trip and do my job as a personal expense.

My old boss used to give me poo poo about stopping at Qdoba on the way home from the airport on Friday nights. He stopped doing that when I would just stay in the airport so it looked like a "travel expense" and my expense report went from a $9 burrito bowl and drink to a $35 who knows what I bought non-itemized receipt from an airport restaurant.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DJCobol posted:

I agree with you. The second I leave my house on a work trip, everything is a work expense for the most part. I would never consider any food, rental cars, hotels, or other reasonable expenses required to complete the trip and do my job as a personal expense.

My old boss used to give me poo poo about stopping at Qdoba on the way home from the airport on Friday nights. He stopped doing that when I would just stay in the airport so it looked like a "travel expense" and my expense report went from a $9 burrito bowl and drink to a $35 who knows what I bought non-itemized receipt from an airport restaurant.

This. Life is too short to worry about that poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mackieman posted:

This. Life is too short to worry about that poo poo.

Not if you're in money tracking it isn't! All loving finance officials can loving hang.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If I was going to give poo poo to someone, I rather give poo poo that they didnt get me souvenirs. Giving people poo poo about making a pit stop before/during/after work is just loving dumb.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You guys are misinterpreting my post. I wasn't saying that I consider any money spent as a result of travel as a personal expense. I was saying that the stuff you expense (food, hotel, car, tickets, etc) are for personal use. Specifically within the context of car insurance - the poster was worried that their insurance wouldn't cover them if their employer continued to gently caress them over. A rental car that work pays for is still a personal vehicle and you aren't driving for pay (uber, making deliveries, whatever).

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
You're talking out of your rear end, friend. If it wasn't for work purposes then why would you even need the vehicle?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thoguh posted:

You guys are misinterpreting my post. I wasn't saying that I consider any money spent as a result of travel as a personal expense. I was saying that the stuff you expense (food, hotel, car, tickets, etc) are for personal use. Specifically within the context of car insurance - the poster was worried that their insurance wouldn't cover them if their employer continued to gently caress them over. A rental car that work pays for is still a personal vehicle and you aren't driving for pay (uber, making deliveries, whatever).

Policies on this differ wildly among employers. My employer's policy is that you can use the car to get to and from the work site, hotel, food, and work-related errands. Want to go see a movie? Take a taxi. Other places consider any driving to be work-related while you're on a business trip. It's rare to have an office pay for the car but then claim it's 100% personal.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I was saying that the stuff you expense (food, hotel, car, tickets, etc) are for personal use.
This is where I lose you. Sure, I am using it personally, but I wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't on a work trip.

Flying to visit relatives, renting a car, and staying in a hotel while there = personal use.
Flying to a city to visit a client or conduct meetings or whatever else, staying in a hotel, and renting a car to travel between the hotel, work sites, and around town = work use.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Midjack posted:

Policies on this differ wildly among employers. My employer's policy is that you can use the car to get to and from the work site, hotel, food, and work-related errands. Want to go see a movie? Take a taxi. Other places consider any driving to be work-related while you're on a business trip. It's rare to have an office pay for the car but then claim it's 100% personal.

what the hell? that seems like a very convoluted policy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what the hell? that seems like a very convoluted policy

Federal government, so of course it's dumb as hell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well it's end of Q2 so post some stats people

Delta:
MQM excl rollover: 157,826 / MQS: 53 / MQD: $59,850

AA:
EQM: 12,009 / EQS: 11 / EQD: $1,644

kill me

edit: added aa because its funny

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 4, 2017

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
American:

EQD: 7965 / EQM: 60,713 / EQS: 65

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
AA EQD 2282 / EQM 39839 / EQS 20

gosh I travel cheaply compared to you all. I guess that's what happens with small biz vs corporate

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 4, 2017

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I want kyoon's travel budget

AA EQD: 10,060 EQM: 91,046 EQS: 38

Getting to fly CX in premium economy helped a lot or I'd probably have half the EQM and EQD

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

creationist believer posted:

I want kyoon's travel budget

AA EQD: 10,060 EQM: 91,046 EQS: 38

Getting to fly CX in premium economy helped a lot or I'd probably have half the EQM and EQD

Yeah I don't understand how you could do 150k+ in six months 100% in economy, that would be really, really unpleasant.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I've barely traveled so far this year but starting next week it's off to the goddamn races:

AA: $180 / 1840 mi. / 2 seg.

DL: $1099 (nice, that's the tax number) / 27,971 mi. (roller over like 24k) / 4 seg.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm thankfully pretty light this year also.

AA: $3507/31,489 mi/16 segments

.....and 14 500-mile upgrades because I've yet to be able to actually use more than a few so far this year. It's much worse than last year in that respect.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I haven't done poo poo this year.

Delta: 51k MQMs, 18 MQS. With my rollover from last year I'm drat near platinum again, and another trip to India as well as a few other domestic trips should put me close to Diamond.
Southworst: 2,200 points, 2 flights. I hope that's all for them this year.
Hilton: only 12 nights, but got them to make me Diamond to match the Spire status I have with IHG.
IHG: 2 nights
Best Western: 9 nights
National: 10 rentals, only 2 more to go to maintain Executive status.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Delta: 25k MQMs, 24 MQS, $2300 MQD. Only one trip for business in there, and a few rewards flights, so I'm low compared to last year. FF programs are not made for short flights to/from the Midwest. :(

Now I just have to figure out whether I like Delta enough to stick with them even though I'm moving to Philadelphia, an AA hub. Is American going to be terribly different with mid-tier status (Delta Gold)?

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
As of March 31 I was at 17153 PQM and 19 PQS, and that's where it STAYED and I don't CARE anymore because I don't do work travel anymore ahaha ha

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AA: 71 EQS, 50204 EQM, $8850 EQD

United: 19 EQS, 18552 EQM, $1973 EQD

Marriott: 25 nights

SPG: 19 stays, 27 nights

Hertz: 35 rentals

I've been busy. Also, my last 8 hertz rentals netted me 3500 united miles each for some reason.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Delta: 25k MQMs, 24 MQS, $2300 MQD. Only one trip for business in there, and a few rewards flights, so I'm low compared to last year. FF programs are not made for short flights to/from the Midwest. :(

Now I just have to figure out whether I like Delta enough to stick with them even though I'm moving to Philadelphia, an AA hub. Is American going to be terribly different with mid-tier status (Delta Gold)?

do not stick with an airline if you live at another airline's hub airport

possible exceptions: soufwes, spirit, frontier

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not stick with an airline if you live at another airline's hub airport

possible exceptions: soufwes, spirit, frontier

Yeah I've done Delta from MIA (AA hub) the last few years and it's not bad, but comparing MIA-ATL-DCA to MIA-DCA isn't in Delta's favor.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
United

PQM: 14,275
PQS: 23.5
PQD: 1929

36 nights Marriott so far, challenged into platinum early this year.

I fly DEN-SLC about 15 times a year for 95% of my travel, that should expand into other such wild and exotic places as "Fresno" in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Delta:
MQM: 22,551
MQS: 26
MQD: $5,227

I'm about to get status on an airline for the first time :woop:

44 nights at the Sheraton as well. Once I hit platinum I'm going to start shopping around for a hotel near the client site that has a lap pool which is a lot harder than I expected.