Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

would anybody be surprised if that by the end of the show, the ending of Z gets undone and becomes a part of Super?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Covok posted:

It's the tubetop. That frame with a tubetop makes you realize show how skinny she is. Kale and Cabba looks fine because you can't see their stomachs curve inward like a barbie doll.

Cabba is weirdly lanky too. I don't really mind it though because they look pretty different from typical DBZ characters, and after 20 years of stagnation I don't mind something new.

Caros
May 14, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Man, you have hundreds of people tripping over themselves to thumb up comments on how Caulifla should learn her place, and comparatively pretty much nobody is saying she's a cool badass or anything. I see the same to a lesser extent on Reddit, what else do I need to do to prove that there may be a slight bias against some of the ladies in the series among a lot of fans?

Address the fact that there is comparatively no one in this thread that is acting that way for starters? I presume everyone on this thread is a dragonball fan, yet no one is making lovely misogynistic comments about her. Its almost like reddit and youtube comments have a pretty lovely history of misogynistic and crappy comments regardless of subject matter.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I like caulifa BECAUSE she checks off all the boxes of female sayain dream lol and that's also what makes timid broly kale extra good as well.

I like cabbas character and his absurd naivety and trust but just really hate his design

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Caros posted:

Address the fact that there is comparatively no one in this thread that is acting that way for starters? I presume everyone on this thread is a dragonball fan, yet no one is making lovely misogynistic comments about her. Its almost like reddit and youtube comments have a pretty lovely history of misogynistic and crappy comments regardless of subject matter.

Oh my god, sorry for questioning the integrity of the venerated Dragonball fandom my goon sir. I didn't say anything about Something Awful, but its a pretty loving small part of the dragonball 'Community' compared to somewhere like Reddit or Youtube you know and I have no interest in digging any further into this whole thing.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caros posted:

Jesus, you sure are putting a lot of effort into defending anime fans. Face it dude, we are the damned and the fallen.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i don't care about defending anime fans i'm just insanely bored of pearl-clutching over what idiots on websites i don't read think about anime

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can forgive some re-used animation clips since the entire episode looked good overall. That's just their way of saving budget without making the action look like MSPaint garbage at all I guess.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Augus posted:

I can forgive some re-used animation clips since the entire episode looked good overall. That's just their way of saving budget without making the action look like MSPaint garbage at all I guess.

Right!?

Damned if they use non-repetitive episode 5 style animation, damned if they reuse top quality shots. There is just no pleasing nerds :mad:

Also personally I am not amused by Caulifla but I don't have anything against her either. She is just there. Kale on the other hand is much more interesting and I can't wait for her to dunk an incredulous Vegeta out of the ring.

I just wish Toei could have kept it in their pants and not blown off the Braly transformation in a previous episode already. I'd had like it much more if Kale spied on Cabba and Caulifla training and then went to train in secret and unlocked the Braly transformation out of her hate for that damned cabbage

Plus U6 saiyan style doesn't look as awkward on Kale as it does on Cabba and Caulifla. U6 Saiyan style just doesn't fly with me.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 4, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't care about defending anime fans i'm just insanely bored of pearl-clutching over what idiots on websites i don't read think about anime

We must all bear our cross of anime guilt

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I like Caulifa's voice actress. "Get all roary and flashy" was a fun line and I liked the delivery.

Caros
May 14, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Oh my god, sorry for questioning the integrity of the venerated Dragonball fandom my goon sir. I didn't say anything about Something Awful, but its a pretty loving small part of the dragonball 'Community' compared to somewhere like Reddit or Youtube you know and I have no interest in digging any further into this whole thing.

I'm just trying to understand how you managed to grow into a full fledged adult without realizing that Youtube comments are almost universally toxic as all poo poo, and that making sweeping statements about how every fan of a show is a misogynistic trash person because of what some idiots post on reddit is not indicative of the overall opinion of anyone other than those particular assholes.

That said, I thought you were actually the idiot who said this:

quote:

a vast majority of the fans loving hate women and jerk off to Videl being beaten up and would loathe to see a single one of them fight and hold their own against Power Levels

same poo poo different shonen

When you are merely the idiot who defended it. So you're not all bad, I guess.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Can we stop the circle jerk of jumping over each other to show how not sexist we are? This thread was fine and never even hinted at that stuff until some of you brought it up. We don't care what Reddit/4chan/youtube says. Nobody with a brain posts or talks there lets more on.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
But how are we supposed to feel morally superior otherwise?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mordaedil posted:

But how are we supposed to feel morally superior otherwise?

We could talk about that we enjoyed from Super, and the super ominous way it lingered over the greyed out portraits on the Godpad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbp posted:

I don't like cabbas design

cabba's pretty scrawny and caulifla's a noodle. they're a little weird looking and took some getting used to for me

kale looks alright tho

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

We could talk about that we enjoyed from Super, and the super ominous way it lingered over the greyed out portraits on the Godpad.

Yeah, what the gently caress was up with that? I also thought the characters were going to get erased upon elimination, there's something more going on here.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Manatee Cannon posted:

cabba's pretty scrawny and caulifla's a noodle. they're a little weird looking and took some getting used to for me

kale looks alright tho

I'm pretty sure their rail-thin designs are because the U6 bunch are supposed to be teenagers? In which case it's the first Toriyama Saiyan teen design that actually makes sense, as opposed to suddenly going from roidchild to roidman without any transition like every Saiyan not named Gohan has done. Teens have lanky, awkward body proportions that are still somewhat childlike and their muscles haven't filled in yet. Then again, we never get any clue as to how old they actually are. They could be young adults and all U6 Saiyans just happen to be thinly built but incredibly powerful. Cabba mentioned a family when Vegeta was dissing him but it could very well be brothers and sisters instead of a wife and kids. I'm thinking they're teenagers because that one old dude Cabba talked to right before recruiting Caulifla looked like a grown man.

Anyway, as a female I think Caulifla is pretty cool but it's Kale who's really interesting. Yes she's Brolina, but her timid nature and the way she's probably going to get pushed into berserk mode is way more interesting than KAKAROOOOOOOTTT! :byodood: Considering Videl became a brainless waifu and the only slightly interesting female these days is Bulma, I'm just so loving happy to see TWO powerful female fighters.

I think the ToP losers poofing back into their benches is just more proof that the loser universes aren't actually going to get erased into oblivion and they're going to instead get asspulled into surviving as one big universe or something.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress was up with that? I also thought the characters were going to get erased upon elimination, there's something more going on here.

Could just be to give you another look at who else is on the team of the fighter that just got eliminated. There doesn't have to be some hidden sinister motivation.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dias posted:

Yeah. my point is more that people got mad because of it "cheapening" Super Saiyan (nevermind the bargain sale having done that since the Buu saga) AND because the average nerd doesn't like women as active protagonists. There's a justification and then it's all exacerbated by misogyny - it's basically the Rey thing in Force Awakens, where she's a "Mary Sue" for doing basically the same thing Luke did.

Rey did what Luke did in -3- movies, in her debut movie.

She was the best pilot (Luke did the trench run entirely based on the Force and with the actual best pilot, Han, protecting him at the end), could use Jedi mind tricks (Luke didn't figure that out until Jedi), could fight and beat the villain with a lightsaber (Luke couldn't use one until Empire, and couldn't win until Jedi), could use force pull and stuff (Luke at the beginning of Empire), could fight off multiple people without a saber (Luke got knocked out by sandpeople), etc. It's not comparable to Luke in his debut at all and took him 3 movies to do the same.

The problem with her isn't all misogyny, you would have half of the complaints if it was Ray the brand new guy, and he would be called a Gary Stu instead. The issue is that Force Awakens was basically cramming a "best of" all 3 of the Original Trilogy together, and let one person do everything instead of splitting it between multiple protagonists (give Finn Force Powers, split what each of them are specialized in doing instead of giving everything to one person, and you soften this a bit). I don't really *personally* care, as there is possibly a good future reason to be revealed as to why she can do everything without "apparently" being trained, but there are legitimate complaints that get hidden in the misogyny of other people.

Kale is the apparent top dog on a planet of Saiyans more naturally gifted than "our" own (since Cabba;'s base form is so powerful). She long passed the high limits of Goku/Vegeta reaching SS1, and even where Gohan was with SS2. None of them get mad anymore when becoming super, so Cabba figured out the short unlock they've used since and gave everyone else that is strong the shortcut. And hers could stack to SS2 since she had way more power and figured out how to make it better first time she got it.

Trunks and Goten are kids, they probably threw huge temper tantrums to get it. They're much more unbelievable than Kale.

Edit: things loaded slow for me, sorry to bring it back up.

Darko fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 4, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Caros posted:

I'm just trying to understand how you managed to grow into a full fledged adult without realizing that Youtube comments are almost universally toxic as all poo poo, and that making sweeping statements about how every fan of a show is a misogynistic trash person because of what some idiots post on reddit is not indicative of the overall opinion of anyone other than those particular assholes.

That said, I thought you were actually the idiot who said this:

When you are merely the idiot who defended it. So you're not all bad, I guess.

Holy poo poo, how the hell are you so touchy? This is like the only anime I watch and I'm starting to see why ADTRW has a reputation for being a collection of weirdo weeaboos if people like you are common. Why do you care about the fandom at all, why do you think it reflects on you or this thread, why do you seem to be taking this so personally? Somebody asked where it was that fans were bitching about some of the lady fighters so I pointed to an obvious place where I noticed people were complaining about how much of a bitch Caulifla is and everyone was high fiving them. Again, probably more reflective of the fans overall than SA is. Sorry if a bunch of sexists watch dragonball, loving sue me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Holy poo poo, how the hell are you so touchy? This is like the only anime I watch and I'm starting to see why ADTRW has a reputation for being a collection of weirdo weeaboos if people like you are common. Why do you care about the fandom at all, why do you think it reflects on you or this thread, why do you seem to be taking this so personally? Somebody asked where it was that fans were bitching about some of the lady fighters so I pointed to an obvious place where I noticed people were complaining about how much of a bitch Caulifla is and everyone was high fiving them. Sorry if a bunch of sexists watch dragonball, loving sue me.

settle down beavis

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A lot of people in this thread don't post otherwise on ADTRW, dbz is kinda the odd sheep appealing to westerners otherwise, operating as a gateway medium

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

luke was a whiny baby at the start of 4 and whose only real experience was being a pilot

rey's had to survive on her own

new trilogy is still kind of bad tho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah what kind of lovely fuckin trilogy has only one movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

luke was a whiny baby at the start of 4 and whose only real experience was being a pilot

rey's had to survive on her own

new trilogy is still kind of bad tho

More over, Luke was a dirt farmer back water gently caress boy whose only saving grace was that his dad was Darth Vader and he was found by Obiwan.

Rey actually had training as a pilot and real life experiences that weren't 'wanting to gently caress a particularly soft looking rock'

I'm no defender of the new Star Wars films because I am hugely against what Disney is doing with the franchise, annual movies are a god awful idea and the way they're going about them is the worst kind of mediocrity, but Rey is fine.

And no, no one would call her a Gary Stu if she had a dick. Because no one ever actually uses that term.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we all call Kirito a Mary Sue.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We really do

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Burkion posted:

And no, no one would call her a Gary Stu if she had a dick. Because no one ever actually uses that term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP7k-3Tipp4&t=105s

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Augus posted:

yeah what kind of lovely fuckin trilogy has only one movie

:thunk:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Remember when Vegeta was depicted as a scrawny little dude with little-to-no muscle definition when he was introduced with Nappa? I don't see why anybody cares about the new skinny-looking Saiyajin designs, just reminds me of a younger Vegeta. They're supposed to be teenagers, right? So who cares. :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jedah posted:

Remember when Vegeta was depicted as a scrawny little dude with little-to-no muscle definition when he was introduced with Nappa? I don't see why anybody cares about the new skinny-looking Saiyajin designs, just reminds me of a younger Vegeta. They're supposed to be teenagers, right? So who cares. :shrug:

You're allowed to be scrawny if you're evil

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Onmi posted:

Yeah I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Maybe it's the people who are boring that get erased?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jedah posted:

vegeta was short but he was definitely defined and poo poo. sayain saga goku/vegeta/krillin designs were probably my favorite in dbz, they look genuinely powerful and the detail that goes into how beat up they are at the end of that slaughter is amazing

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I just want Gohan to be the strongest dad.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
But Krillin's family will leave him if he becomes the weak dad!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

tbp posted:

vegeta was short but he was definitely defined and poo poo. sayain saga goku/vegeta/krillin designs were probably my favorite in dbz, they look genuinely powerful and the detail that goes into how beat up they are at the end of that slaughter is amazing

:yeah: agreed about the Saiyajin saga characters looking good and cool. Radditz and Nappa were muscle-bound and mostly useless, so muscles do not necessarily equal "power" in DB. But it was cool that Vegeta was depicted as a little dude who powered up and suddenly became overwhelmingly strong, I thought it was a nice character choice.

Let's give the new Saiyajin kids some time to train under 300x gravity and grow up. Vegeta went from a short little guy to incredibly ripped and huge by the time the Androids/Cell appeared. Cabba just needs to train with Sensei Vegeta and he'll bulk up quick.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Maybe it's the people who are boring that get erased?

Wasn't the whole erasure if you fall thing part of that batch of bullshit spoilers that also had Freeza joining universe 4. Godpads seem to be more about helping the audience keep track of who's out and giving the Zenos something to do as the match progresses.

Speaking of Universe 4, was thinking about how Lavender went from squaring off with Gohan to suddenly being part of the group ambushing Goku after his near ring out, which seemed really weird to me. Lavender of course has beef with Gohan and that rematch seems obvious, so it's weird he abandoned attack on Universe 7 B team. Got me thinking that two of Universe 4 fighters are still unknown and Universe 4 and 9 are twin universes that have conspired before, I could see them bringing a Shapeshifter who disguised himself as Lavender to play on what Goku assumes about Poison Wolf's fighting style to unleash some kind of trap to make sure the second ambush works this time. Not that it will, but it'd be neat to see Universe 4 doing something more sneaky than putting Goku in a headlock.

Oh yeah, and the whole Cabba thing. Was rewatching his introduction with a friend last night as she desires to catch up. That was a good episode and makes me really want Vegeta and Cabba to have a whole fight, it's got to be tough of Vegeta. He's not going to abandon his family to universal erasure, but to save them he has to doom a universe with a surviving Sayian race and his student to erasure. Seems like some good drama and would make a lot of sense if they're building to that given Vegeta not wanting to interact with Cabba in the last episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

he's gonna misclick and accidentally take out vegeta and not goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Denim Avenger posted:

Wasn't the whole erasure if you fall thing part of that batch of bullshit spoilers that also had Freeza joining universe 4. Godpads seem to be more about helping the audience keep track of who's out and giving the Zenos something to do as the match progresses.

I don't pay attention to leaks it's just that the music got really ominous and the long zoom in

• Locked thread