Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Ghostlight posted:

It features the perennial cry of the CIG shill - "keep doing what you're doing"

"keep doing what you're doing (to me)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

astroturfing glassdoor of all things is a new low, even for these cultists

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

If someone wants to archive it before it gets reported again (and again and again)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yifD1ipyA

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

The Titanic posted:

Been thinking about gravity liquid.

It should be a weapon. Crush your foes.

Imagine being in a compartment where the gravity goo flooded. Would everybody be flattened against some wall surface? Would people become a tiny attempt at a blood singularity?

Could you just pump gravity goo into a ship to kill everybody then pump it back out?

What if you flooded space with it? What about gravity goo mines? Would they crush parts of the ship they splatter across?

Being able to harness a natural phenomenon and then not militarize it is simply not something humans do.

What if you put gravity goo on a ceiling? Would everything in the room be lighter? Imagine lifting huge tractor trailer cargo containers around with just a single person as if they were pillows.

I repeat, this would be an excellent mechanic to center a game around.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

tuo posted:

If someone wants to archive it before it gets reported again (and again and again)...

that was the best thing I ever saw

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fellow goons...Chris Roberts is dead :/

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

spacetoaster posted:

Also, you can't tell me that the cultists aren't writing glassdoor reviews....

WE'LL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH!!!!

Pros: It's super awesome and wonderful and everything is great!

Cons: :argh: DEREK SMAAAAAAAAAAART!! :ssj:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

quote:

And when Ben on Bensday with Batgirl, said there was a "gamechanger" concept ship in the future, he did mean it.

How can you have a "game changer" ship when there's no game structure to change?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

tuo posted:

So, this would definitely need to go in the Derek Smart archive, correct?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

If Derek tweets it

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

tuo posted:

I missed it the first time around, thank you for uploading it again because it is fantastic.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Friendly reminder that 18 months ago this was the state of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

And this is where they are now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa1lxb7C4Ik

And yes, that really is someone so desperate for gameplay in Star Citizen that they modded it in.

Chris' CIG_Maverick chat handle probably refers to Christopher Blair, the player character of the Wing Commander games. Did he name the main character after himself?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/BlackSuns/status/881299892236423169

Seems to be a good example of the seamless planetary landings that CIG will be offering in 3.0.

Approach planet, screen fades to black, you're now on planet.

Amazing Zimmo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 4, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ShipsIllustr/status/882109519173607424

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Never not watch that video..

lol at B'Tak

Thanks for the re-upload dude :)

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Did they have a sale or something last week? According to the Stretch Goals page they raised a million dollars. Maybe they counted some or all of the loan.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WQAPGnf7Ic

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

that video was about to get good :(

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/_sailor67/status/882090799583854593

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

#cargo1.0 #grabbyhands #unload_byHand #fuckme

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Damnit. The vid is gone again. Missed it a 2nd time.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

I don't understand game development or this flight model.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Hello boredom my old friend,
I've come to shift a vending machine again....

at least it wasn't a big benny's this time.

:stimpire.txt:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ok, you can't convince me all these random twitters are not astroturfing.
Ships illustrated. Ugh, Buy, buy, buy!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

*NB. Please note client side and non persistent only. Observers will clip through while repeatedly asking WTF are you doing.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm not sure what's sadder. The thought that "vending machine delivery" is some guerrilla marketing company trying to drum up more backers ("Sir, the game's crap, you can't do anything but spin in place and ram passing space station rings." "But you can move vending machines! So this is now THE VENDING MACHINE GAME, hammer it home, wooo!"), or the thought that some actual Citizens are so desperate for something to do that they're actually resorting to roleplaying a vending machine delivery and telling themselves this is really fun guys.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Loxbourne posted:

I'm not sure what's sadder. The thought that "vending machine delivery" is some guerrilla marketing company trying to drum up more backers ("Sir, the game's crap, you can't do anything but spin in place and ram passing space station rings." "But you can move vending machines! So this is now THE VENDING MACHINE GAME, hammer it home, wooo!"), or the thought that some actual Citizens are so desperate for something to do that they're actually resorting to roleplaying a vending machine delivery and telling themselves this is really fun guys.

Hey, at least it gave three people something to do for an evening. Possibly four, if that screenshot isn't taken from third person perspective.

EDIT: Just saw the HUD. Four people moved the thing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
glad to see CIG's "flight model" is still just NOCLIP=1

revolutionising PC gaming

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
The only thing getting moved is me, to tears.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lmao i just remembered betty bigtits

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The Titanic posted:

Been thinking about gravity liquid.

It should be a weapon. Crush your foes.

Imagine being in a compartment where the gravity goo flooded. Would everybody be flattened against some wall surface? Would people become a tiny attempt at a blood singularity?

Could you just pump gravity goo into a ship to kill everybody then pump it back out?

What if you flooded space with it? What about gravity goo mines? Would they crush parts of the ship they splatter across?

Being able to harness a natural phenomenon and then not militarize it is simply not something humans do.

What if you put gravity goo on a ceiling? Would everything in the room be lighter? Imagine lifting huge tractor trailer cargo containers around with just a single person as if they were pillows.

How does gravity goo know which way is up?

I love Star Citizen because everything they touch is so incomprehensible, which is such a comical juxtaposition of the "rough and patchwork" sci fi universe Chris Roberts loves so much.

"We're just a rag tag band of cowboys in space that's basically world war 2!" *has developed gravity defying liquids with complex distribution systems in the rusted out, conduit exposed ships*

"Got to go load these boxes by hand cause we're so low tech!" *loads it into a ship with super light, super thin glass stronger than titanium and magic*

"Time to go fly my ship that flies slower than a Sopwith Camel through space!" *vaporizes into a wormhole harnessed by pure magic and appears at the other end of the universe near Earth because that was the secret jump hole the aliens are going to use to invade*

And speaking of aliens: "We are barely out of the Stone Age and use spears and knives!" *flies a technological wonder through space killing other races because they are very wrathful*

And this is in all of CRs games. Except maybe like Strike Commander because that was just modern stuff without him needing to destroy it too much or be too creative with the universe aesthetics.

gravity goo makes no sense because as it is described its a fluid that radiates gravitons, and gravitons presumably go at the speed of light forever

making some goo have enough pull to simulate the gravity on earth on a certain deck that would mean the deck suddenly has the same gravitational pull as the earth

I probably dont have to explain why it is a bad thing flying around in a spaceship with the same pull as a large planetoid body

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Mangoose posted:

Hey, at least it gave three people something to do for an evening. Possibly four, if that screenshot isn't taken from third person perspective.

EDIT: Just saw the HUD. Four people moved the thing.

One person moved the thing. Three more watched the other jumping around pushing thin air.

Experimental Skin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 4, 2017

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Experimental Skin posted:

One person moved the thing. Three more watched the other jumping around pushing thin air.

How do you know that they weren't watching the pushers twitch stream?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

tuo posted:

Fellow goons...Chris Roberts is dead :/

So that's his exit strategy, fake his own death. More creative than I'd expected.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

MedicineHut posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6l0yr2/erin_roberts_interview_studio_tour_overview/

How can someone go on a tour of F42 to be shown current, specific, actual and tangible work in progress only to leave the premises with a loving wall of dreams (tm) to report on.
:gonk:

MilesK posted:

Remember when Chris told a German magazine he hopes to develop "live-mocap" for news van owners to broadcast as their avatars about in 'verse events? Also "gamemasters" can create their own events. Somebody add that to the dreams tracker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5paz23/gamestar_star_citizen_preview_part_2_summary/
"Team reporting player driven events as in-fiction news" is on the tracker already but that doesn't mention this mo-cap bit.
(May 19th, 2014 - 10 for the chairman talks about this and also mentions player run broadcasts like differed GTA radio channels, but doesn't promise it)

"Large scale dynamic events" is also listed, but I'll add something separate about gamemasters. Thanks.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Originally Posted by TheVoidDragon
"Things like delays have occurred with the game so far, but i don't think I've really seen anything that's out of the ordinary and something to actually be concerned about regarding the success of the game. Delays, development issues and changes happen all the time with video game development, unless i've missed something there isn't really anything that's happened you should be worried about. The only difference between this and other projects is that with the other games we just don't find out about the problems. Things certainly haven't progressed smoothly until this point, but that is normal.

The majority of the drama has been from people who don't seem to know much about video game development, jump to conclusions or are just trying to find anything they can to bring the game down and say "I told you so!"...like with the recent loan."

:allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I wonder if everyone would support another Molyneux venture if it was run by Peter's wife, but also him while also not telling everyone they were married and at the top when it came to the company's payroll and management.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
"Pretty much. Lots of convenient amnesia, Derek Smart-ism and all the hard-boiled double standards that follow in the wake of Star Citizen being mentioned. Its like the project is from another planet and folks seem to ignore the advent of research. Somehow, someway. At times people make it seem like other projects haven't gone through the same type of hold ups or problems, because they don't get to see them traditional (for good reason, the poo poo storms). I mean it may seem that way but, we just don't hear about those problems.

Until after the fact through anonymous sources and or studio statements and interviews, once the game is released, shelved canceled. Unfortunately this project has a giant spotlight on it -usually fairly negative- due to their crowdfunding method, accumulated funds and development ambition. Some folks seem to dislike a thing that's enabling CIG to make the game. Then once that's pick on a few times, you get the situations that are minor to major they get forgotten or fixed by CIG. But because the game is open and public. Those situations get magnified and amplified. There really no balanced viewpoint or coverage of the game. No one seems to be able to criticize the game without beating a dead horse. Far to many have confirmation bias as well, along with a lack of understanding, when it comes to the estimated release dates and general methodologies CIG carries out. While they're still in active development making two triple A games.

Certainly, CIG did have to go through some global reorganized and start adapting more reason and sane business practices instead of the "develop by seat of your pants" before 2015. Since production was being bogged down and time zone management, leadership and communication issues continued to dwell. They had to re-think and stream line. Now we have a more effective CIG and the developers are much happier as well. Compared to the past. It should be made very clear, that the community does hold CIG accountable and does call them out on their possible slip ups. But they also give helpful feedback and criticisms. Instead of accusing them of certain things, that couldn't be further from the truth.

(Its what makes the accusations that 400 developers are trying to hoodwink people. After my recent visit, to be quite hosed up.)

In comparison to the issues they could be having, that's pretty normal stuff. After three to four years of full production by a young independent studio, doing things that have never really been attempted. It was a revaluation period, they closer to the estimated release date of 2016. Then realized that wasn't possible and that the community would be pissed off either way, if hey got re a unfinished product or just had to wait a little more. Because reality hit CIG hard.

At least CIG has the flexibility to react on things and to things, an not have to be secretive about it. Then you contrast that, with the many horror stories or self-sabotage like undertakings in the traditional space. Even with released games. We've all heard about them, stories of turmoil and games being in development hell for years; like Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Evolve, Destiny, Prey 2, The last Guardian, Beyond good and evil, Kingdom Hearts. Even the information about Rockstar's development practices and then you the rigamarole that was Final Fantasy XV.

Lets keep it balanced and focused on facts not on assumptions. Given the trials and tribulations of a game in development."
Last edited by Cabbagehead; Yesterday at 10:49 PM.

:allears: :gary: :allears::gary::allears::gary::allears:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Star Citizen: Just wait for 3.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Space Crabs posted:

actually if you read between the lines, the backer is asking if cargo loads will be realistically simulated down to the balance of the load and whether or not ships can fail to achieve orbit

CiG guys goes "YES! OF COURSE!" then lays out mechanics that do none of that. Based on what he is saying it will just be a cargo slider and your ship burns more fuel the higher the cargo slider. As for achieving orbit every ship will be able to (meaning that mechanic doesn't exist) and it's explained away as "No ship will have a cargo hold large enough that it can't achieve orbit!"

Backers read that and see it as explicit agreement of their cargo loading fantasies, CIG guy masterfully over explains the way cargo works in most other games already.
“If you are a dreamer come in, If you are a dreamer a wisher a liar, A hoper a pray-er a magic-bean-buyer, If youre a pretender com sit by my fire, For we have some flax, golden tales to spin, Come in! Come in!”

CR gave the exact same answer 3 years ago, how deep do these backers insist on dreaming?

Question: I have a question about ship cargo capacities. How strictly will they be "enforced"? My DUR Freelancer has a stated capacity of 148 freight units. Let's say that I accidentally (or deliberately) try to load 148.5 freight units of cargo. Will there be flashing red lights and warning sirens telling me that I can't load that much cargo or will I be allowed to load it anyway?
Answer: Well actually the way that our freight units work, is they're actually volume units. So originally we were talking about how many tons of cargo you could carry, but we sort of quickly realized that at a certain level, the tonnage is much less important than the volume, in terms of us building the ships and what they can fit inside. So we came up with a standardized container system at different levels, and so when it's 148, or 20, or 40, or whatever… that's actually talking about the units that can fit in the cargo hold. And so if the DUR Freelancer can fit 148, it won't be able to fit more than 148 - that's the most you can fit. Now of course, how much each one of those units weigh will be an issue, right? So if you're trying to fly with solid gold instead of, I dunno, 148 pieces of… err… whatever would be light - your ship would fly differently in space. And I don't know if we'd have a maximum takeoff load criteria that would prevent you, saying "oh no, you can't actually take that much mass," but basically the freight units is all about the volume and whether you can fit those pieces of volume in there. But in terms of the mass, maximum takeoff, all that stuff, we haven't really figured that out yet. So I don't know - there probably won't, but if there was that's where they would sort of, "hey, you can't take off with that level of mass." I mean we could probably just have you take off with whatever the mass stuff is, and then you're just a really slow ship, which is probably what the solution is as the moment, and we'll make it more sophisticated going down the way.