Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
e: wrong thread

FMguru fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

maskenfreiheit posted:

oh silly me I thought he meant a CEO wanted to fire a dev for banging his wife, bringing to mind the hit HBO comedy Silicon Valley

https://youtu.be/xY9PyM7mz8s

no worries. it's very easy to misinterpret people's posts when they use words wrong without making any kind of joke or wordplay. shalom friend.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Firing someone in the UK is a huge pain in the rear end. You have to be able to prove that they were truly hopeless even when presented with an opportunity to improve, or else you're open to unfair dismissal charges. Sounds like a great idea until you realise that people get warned and then improve and then go back to being dogshit 6 months later and the cycle repeats.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Firing someone in the UK is a huge pain in the rear end. You have to be able to prove that they were truly hopeless even when presented with an opportunity to improve, or else you're open to unfair dismissal charges. Sounds like a great idea until you realise that people get warned and then improve and then go back to being dogshit 6 months later and the cycle repeats.

better than the "at will" system in which you have the "right" to end your employment at will but so does your employer. if they sack you for your race or something you have to sue them so good loving luck with that unless you have a literally email from the CEO saying "fire Sally, im not fond of the blacks".

but see it's fair because you can quit for any reason also and employer employee relationships are totally symmetrical.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
You can be fired for any reason, or no reason, just not an illegal reason.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ShadowHawk posted:

as long as you have rock-solid physical evidence or have enough money to outlast an employer in court

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

let me guess, you're white, straight, and identify as the gender you were born

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

lmao

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
sometimes it's better to not :justpost:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

scsi is a bus god drat it

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

cis autodrag posted:

as long as you have rock-solid physical evidence or have enough money to outlast an employer in court
Basically, yeah. Courts have even ruled that wholly irrational and outright false reasons are still ok. The burden of proving it was an illegal reason is quite high, plus you're risking so much more by bringing suit, to the point that most affected don't bother.

minivanmegafun posted:

let me guess, you're white, straight, and identify as the gender you were born
If it was unclear, I do agree it is trivial how to exploit that by just making up any old bullshit reason. Your guess is nevertheless right, though I'll note I probably lost a couple jobs to my invisible disability.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Yeah it's really stupid but that's basically what "the law" on this is (which means in practice you should save as much evidence as you can but still expect to lose if you're on the wrong side of a wrongful termination)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
yeah your manager can literally fire you because they deeply hate that you are gay, but as long as all the documentation and their story are consistent in saying "we fired them for no reason at all, life sucks" they're in the clear. it's hosed. maybe im some kinda commie but i think you need to show some kind of cause and meet some level of proof for it to fire people unless your company is literally laying off huge groups just to stay open.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
most large companies are so scared of lawsuits (at least in west coast tech) that it takes about two years to fire someone that is terrible, even when they have great cause. you have to put them on a performance improvement program first and document their progress. smart but lazy people will immediately find a new job instead of trying to deal with it. those that are just bad will try to improve and most likely fail and then get bitter and probably ragequit before they get fired.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Being able to fire people for retarded reasons is less horrible than not being allowed to fire them at least

-anyone who has ever worked with people (idiots) ever

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

And yeah what the mgmnt said, firing is really rare because of conservative paralysis even if it's an ultra good idea

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

most large companies are so scared of lawsuits (at least in west coast tech) that it takes about two years to fire someone that is terrible, even when they have great cause. you have to put them on a performance improvement program first and document their progress. smart but lazy people will immediately find a new job instead of trying to deal with it. those that are just bad will try to improve and most likely fail and then get bitter and probably ragequit before they get fired.

east coast tech they gather evidence and fire you. at will doesn't really come into play unless you're a young white dude at which point theres no risk to the firing. when it comes to actual discrimination, legal harassment (bad assignments, strict policy enforcement, etc...) until they quit is the generally accepted practice.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qhat posted:

lol it really must make things tough when one of your coworkers doesn't give it their all coding enterprise-grade fart apps

basically you're a megachump if you care about someone else's work performance if they aren't in danger of killing someone

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

And yeah what the mgmnt said, firing is really rare because of conservative paralysis even if it's an ultra good idea

At my last company, I think I can recall 2 people in total getting fired in the 4 years I was there, both for gross negligence. And there were certainly a lot of people who I was convinced should not be employed by us.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ADINSX posted:

My name's Buck and I'm here to cuck

nuc if you cuck

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Being able to fire people for retarded reasons is less horrible than not being allowed to fire them at least

-anyone who has ever worked with people (idiots) ever

spoken like someone who has never been fired for retarded reasons

i'd rather work with 1 million retards than be unemployed and have to do interviews, fizzbuzz, and 6 hour unpaid homework projects.

School of How fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 4, 2017

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
so what you're saying is...

... job hunting is garbage??

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cis autodrag posted:

i think he is being a dumb person who uses cuck to mean any kind of betrayal and the dev was doing work somewhere else on the side.

god that stupid meme has made the internet harder to read.

he was loving the ceo's wife

e: loving as in having sex with

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i wouldn't use literally figuratively my friend :)

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

well look the CEO wanted a rockstar developer... be careful what you wish for

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

power botton posted:

well look the CEO wanted a rockstar developer... be careful what you wish for

lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I remember joining a student job and telling them "I can work any night of the week except Monday since I have class that night", them saying "fine", calling me in on a Monday telling me I was scheduled while I was not. I managed to show up there anyway only for them to say "oh sorry you were right you were not scheduled but while you're here why don't you work tonight?"

Then when they gave the schedule for the next week with me scheduled on monday night again; I repeated "nope, I told you I can't work monday nights, I'm not giving up school for a part time job" and they fired me for 'lack of motivation' after 2 weeks.

well that's my story of lovely totally legal and valid reason for being fired.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

cis autodrag posted:

i think he is being a dumb person who uses cuck to mean any kind of betrayal and the dev was doing work somewhere else on the side.

god that stupid meme has made the internet harder to read.

No the story was the CEO was literally cucked by one of his employees:

https://workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/7617/how-should-i-deal-with-an-employee-who-has-slept-with-my-wife

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol. my point continues to be made; everyone using the word "cuck" in every context possible makes it practically useless for actual communication.

also i think "slept with your partner" is a reason to fire someone even i would support.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

lmfao this is gold because if he's fired for dating the wife (who has, at this point left the founder) it probably can be twisted around to sexual harassment.

there's a lot of confounds (did the cucking happen at work or work related functions) but yeah, firing someone for dating your ex wife at the very least would make it to court and cost a poo poo load to litigate

if the cucker is smart he'll leverage that fact to get a fat payout from the ceo

god bless america :911:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

maskenfreiheit posted:

lmfao this is gold because if he's fired for dating the wife (who has, at this point left the founder) it probably can be twisted around to sexual harassment.

there's a lot of confounds (did the cucking happen at work or work related functions) but yeah, firing someone for dating your ex wife at the very least would make it to court and cost a poo poo load to litigate

if the cucker is smart he'll leverage that fact to get a fat payout from the ceo

god bless america :911:

How would that ever get to sexual harassment? The guy didn't "date" his boss's "ex-wife", he had an affair with her while she was still married to him. I don't think he'd get any sympathy from any judge if he decided to take it to court after being fired for a serious breach of trust.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

qhat posted:

How would that ever get to sexual harassment? The guy didn't "date" his boss's "ex-wife", he had an affair with her while she was still married to him. I don't think he'd get any sympathy from any judge if he decided to take it to court after being fired for a serious breach of trust.

"stop dating soandso because I want to" is textbook sexual harassment.

he also should be recusing himself from personnel matters he has a conflict of interest in

and again, he might lose but if you have to spend 100k getting to that point a 50k settlement starts to make sense

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Honestly I think if I was in that situation I'd have the guy instantly locked out of all the company's accounts and phone him immediately after and tell him not to come in the next day or any day for that matter. Litigation or not, it's the only logical option since the person cannot possibly be trusted with the owner's assets (the business) and waiting around is only going to make him weaker in court. What would be funny is if the wife got a cut of the business in the divorce settlement and then married the guy she had the affair with.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

qhat posted:

Honestly I think if I was in that situation I'd have the guy instantly locked out of all the company's accounts and phone him immediately after and tell him not to come in the next day or any day for that matter. Litigation or not, it's the only logical option since the person cannot possibly be trusted with the owner's assets (the business) and waiting around is only going to make him weaker in court. What would be funny is if the wife got a cut of the business in the divorce settlement and then married the guy she had the affair with.

sorry he stole your wife, bro

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm really not seeing the connection between sleeping with someone's wife and not being trustworthy with assets

unless we're considering a wife an asset in which case get some loving perspective you creep

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I think there is an unspoken trust I have in all my friends and coworkers that they won't sleep with my wife and if that trust was broken I'd have good reason not to trust them with other things

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
Got and accepted an offer several weeks ago that is across the board way worse than the place cis autodrag worked for. Besides ruck marching at night I'm not really sure. What the hell else should I be doing? I use indeed.com and most of the daily upkeep is jobs that involve a mall in Madison, WI I Started looking at Vegas indeed but still I'm pretty sure that I'm shooting way to low.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

havent heard a peep posted:

Got and accepted an offer several weeks ago that is across the board way worse than the place cis autodrag worked for. Besides ruck marching at night I'm not really sure. What the hell else should I be doing? I use indeed.com and most of the daily upkeep is jobs that involve a mall in Madison, WI I Started looking at Vegas indeed but still I'm pretty sure that I'm shooting way to low.

What red flags did you ignore during the interview that led you to taking the job?

Alternatively: what questions did you not ask that would have uncovered the red flags?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

havent heard a peep posted:

in all your posting, i've never really managed to nail down what it is you do. did you at any point have a professional certification or degree of some type that would help narrow down the search, or are you pretty much just looking for "anything that will pay me without violation of bodily integrity"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

in all your posting, i've never really managed to nail down what it is you do. did you at any point have a professional certification or degree of some type that would help narrow down the search, or are you pretty much just looking for "anything that will pay me without violation of bodily integrity"?

the last bit doesn't hold lol, medical guinea pig crew

• Locked thread