Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, I'm curious myself what the technicals of the license Nintendo has. If it's full IP, then yeah we arent ever seeing Fatal Frame have a shot :(

Kinda lovely them and Silent Hill had to suffer the fates they did.

It's probably more that Nintendo was the only company that'd fund a new Fatal Frame, like with Bayonetta 2. You have to remember that mainstream PC Gaming is still a very new thing in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

One would also wonder just how exactly the new Fatal Frame would end up looking/playing like. Didn't the last ones have questionable design decisions?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was a bit more arcadey (for want of a better term) and split the game up into separate missions and let you buy items and stuff between them but there was nothing particularly wrong with it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the plot is bad

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I'm playing the enhanced version of system shock that was put out for a buck fifty during the summer sale and I'm impressed at how clever it is for a DOOM-era shooter. Your main character isn't some badass, he's just some hacker dude who helped start this mess, and that's represented by how if you go guns blazing the cyborgs and mutants tear you up. You have to peek around corners and pick them off. The sound changing in regard to the situation you're in is cool too.

One of my favorite bits of System Shock 1 is how some dipshit suit grabbed a hacker who'd been arrested and said 'Hey I dunno what this Ethics.dat file on the AI does but it's stopping me from erasing my embezzling records, give me a hand erasing it or I'll have you shot.' It feels like how an insane AI would get created despite reasonable safeguards in a corporate dystopia.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

The excellent Until Dawn is on PS+ this month if anyone hasn't gotten around to playing that yet.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Tired Moritz posted:

the plot is bad

Bad in the disjointed, unfun, boring way or bad in the cringeworthy, embarrassing to play way? Or both? I've only ever watched Crimson Butterfly.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Bad in the disjointed, unfun, boring way or bad in the cringeworthy, embarrassing to play way? Or both? I've only ever watched Crimson Butterfly.

The first. Though an argument could make for the second depending on youe opinion on a certain plot point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

Murdered: Soul Suspect - Yeah, I could tell it's not really a horror game, and more of a mystery adventure. But I really dug the first Let's Play video I watched of it and the graphics are good like you said. Plus a lot of very positive reviews.

+1 for this one. It didn't get a really great reception because it's pretty short and the gameplay is really limited in scope, but I was surprised when I couldn't put it down. There's something really gripping about the characters, story, and setting (even if they're not amazing) that I really loved. I can't describe exactly what I liked so much about it, just that it tickled me in some way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It reminded me of a less janky early PS2 Shadow of Memories

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

chitoryu12 posted:

+1 for this one. It didn't get a really great reception because it's pretty short and the gameplay is really limited in scope, but I was surprised when I couldn't put it down. There's something really gripping about the characters, story, and setting (even if they're not amazing) that I really loved. I can't describe exactly what I liked so much about it, just that it tickled me in some way.

I bought this and never got around to it because of the Steam Curse, but maybe I finally will.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, the one thing I can recommend to get the most out of Murdered is just to not worry about collectibles; if they're there in passing then cool but don't try to 100% the game...cause it's not worth doing.

That's after about 13 hours played in a roughly 6 hour long game cause....well for no good reason.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just used a guide to find all the collectibles. The stories you get are pretty creepy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, those stories are cool enough to at least wander about getting them all while looking at a guide.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, but those are at least around main points of the game and are pretty obvious. There felt like plenty of things that weren't though and required unnecessary scavenging.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Until Dawn is free on PS+ if anyone is looking to try it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did you guys know Until Dawn is on PS+ this month?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Until Dawn, which I hear is free on ps+, is a good game

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Sakurazuka posted:

It reminded me of a less janky early PS2 Shadow of Memories

that's a pretty good comparison, though it doesn't have all the endings like shadow of memories did.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's seven bucks on the Playstation Store right now and you convinced me to buy it. God help you if you're wrong that's it's gripping, because that money could have almost bought me a Big Mac combo meal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mysterious frankie posted:

It's seven bucks on the Playstation Store right now and you convinced me to buy it. God help you if you're wrong that's it's gripping, because that money could have almost bought me a Big Mac combo meal.

Full disclosure that I'm still not sure about why I liked it so much. Something about it just made me want to keep playing it until I hit the end and keep wandering around Salem.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Full disclosure that I'm still not sure about why I liked it so much. Something about it just made me want to keep playing it until I hit the end and keep wandering around Salem.

I was goofing. The way you described liking it really reminded me of how I get super into games that other people say are mediocre, ya can't beat that price, and I've wanted to play it for a while, so it's the perfect storm of Yes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

chitoryu12 posted:

Murdered just feels really good to play. The environments are modeled really well, it seems like there's something to find around every corner, and the ghost powers that let you phase through walls and teleport around really open the world up despite the actual areas being small. The only thing that ever holds you back are the demons, which are equally satisfying to hand-gently caress into oblivion so you can get back to ghosting around. And while the story might not be great, the writing is somehow really engaging, which is double the feat when it's coming from a fedora-wearing loner cop named Ronan and a Hot Topic trainwreck goth girl named Joy.

It really shouldn't be as good as it is, which alone kind of elevates it from passable to something special.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's a shame they had to invent everything in the game rather than keeping the actual charm of Salem in its place.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

exploded mummy posted:

It's a shame they had to invent everything in the game rather than keeping the actual charm of Salem in its place.

There's a charm to Salem? Honest question since I've never been and the only person I knew that lived there didn't mention it either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a charm to Salem? Honest question since I've never been and the only person I knew that lived there didn't mention it either.

Fun fact: a good portion of the actual witch trials took place in what we now call Danvers, MA about 5 miles northwest. It was renamed from Salem Village in 1752.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i live right next to both and i feel bad danvers got hosed over so hard.

at least it had the supposedly haunted danvers state hospital https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danvers_State_Hospital the inspiration for lovecraft's arkham sanatorium.

which is now condos!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Fun fact: a good portion of the actual witch trials took place in what we now call Danvers, MA about 5 miles northwest. It was renamed from Salem Village in 1752.

My brother's fiancee lived in Danvers for a time, so I asked her about the game and she was nonplussed when I asked about the giant museum that used to be a train station.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
She was legitimately mad that they didn't include the PEM

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Someone post the Murdered protagonists name because it is the most Irish cop name perhaps ever committed to vidgame

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bogart posted:

Someone post the Murdered protagonists name because it is the most Irish cop name perhaps ever committed to vidgame

Ronan O'Connor?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wonder what the licensing status of Nightmare on Elm Street is because I'm surprised a company went with Jason over Freddy. And I hope Freddy gets his due because "dream world" makes for a more exciting one-vs-many game when the players can conjure literally anything while Freddy is an omniscient shapeshifter.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jason's a cooler guy with better fashion sense :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

I wonder what the licensing status of Nightmare on Elm Street is because I'm surprised a company went with Jason over Freddy. And I hope Freddy gets his due because "dream world" makes for a more exciting one-vs-many game when the players can conjure literally anything while Freddy is an omniscient shapeshifter.

Friday the 13th was originally a generic slasher game that used pastiches of common slasher tropes, similar to Dead by Daylight. Their product was so good that they were granted a license by Sean Cunningham to adapt their game into a licensed Friday the 13th game.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

al-azad posted:

I dunno, the whole thing about Freddy is that his modus operandi is tailored to each victim. It'd be hard to translate that into a multiplayer game like the Friday the 13th one.

An interesting idea would be to somehow work him into the Friday the 13th game. Maybe have him be a summon, like Tommy, but a double-edged sword, in that his primary goal would be to kill Jason, but the counsellors are fair game, too.

Maybe include Michael Myers. Have him be a summon that Jason can do so that, when someone dies, it's Jason and the counsellors racing to summon. There can only be one summoned character on the map at a time.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 7, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dead by Daylight's plot involves a supernatural entity dragging people into it's dream to feed off their hope, and I kinda want Freddy to show up pissed off that The Entity is encroaching on his turf.

Bonus points for Michael Myers already being in the game (and also being objectively the most fun killer to play as)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I guess I just want a Dream Warriors game where teenagers with abilities tied to their personalities fight a monstrous entity that's kind of the master of the place.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh, Persona 5.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bogart posted:

Oh, Persona 5.

While it's horrifying & darkly humorous that i paid sixty dollars to play Persona 5, I don't think it qualifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Throwing in a review for Syndrome, which I completed after buying it on the summer sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/409320/Syndrome/

I bought this game after seeing it advertised on the main window and seeing most of the reviews were positive.

Short: Don't bother. Not even for five bucks or whatever the sale is promising you.

Longer:

Syndrome has the underpinnings of a good horror game. It's set on a spaceship on which poo poo Goes Wrong. As the intrepid hero rising from cyrogenic suspension, you go through the ship while an NPC talks to you, punctuated by another NPC. They actually play off each other well enough, and the storyline is acceptable for a horror game. The ship itself is well done, and feels kinda like a ship where people would live and work on. In its current state, the environment is really creepy, although some areas go from Creepy Dark to I Can't See poo poo Dark, which is more frustrating than anything else, even with your flashlight. There are some ok jump scares, and most of the enemies look suitably creepy except for one that looks like it's in a red latex gimp suit. The enemies all have their own rules, so you can understand what you can do with each.

All this is hosed six ways to Saturday by playing through the game itself. It has inexplicably long load times when loading saves and going between levels of the ship. Eventually I realized it would be a good idea to play with my phone during the load times. This is also on an SSD, so likely the game itself is hosed in that retrospect. It might be more manageable if it wasn't for all the backtracking. All. The. Goddamn. Backtracking. There's eight levels to the ship, and you'll head to an objective on one level that will suddenly turn out to have an obstacle in the way, and you may go back to two or even three other levels to fix your problem. This happens multiple times, more than just "several".

Sometimes you'll have to accomplish multiple objectives on the same deck where most of it's just busywork to pad it. For example, in the end stretch of the game, I was on this deck where I had to go decode a computer thingy. I went to the appropriate room, which was locked. Ok, looks like I have to go to the tech chief's office to unlock it. I do it and return. Looks like the computer thingy has an extra layer of decryption or I need to read it in a special way? Let's go to another station on the deck. Ok, looks like this station is locked up and I have to hard reset it, again in the tech chief's office? Ok, do that, get back and grab the chip, dodging the monsters in the way. In any other game, I would have gone to the initial decoding thingy, decoded it, and been on my way.

If they had consolidated it in any fashion, like maybe how Dead Space has you moving through several parts of the ship but staying within a deck mostly, or even just flipping between any given two decks while moving downwards, the 7 hours I spent on this game would probably be more like 3. After a certain point I ended up just plugging through it so I could come here to explain just how bad it was in the face of the positive reviews I saw on Steam.

There are also save points like RE's typewriters, but often times there will be precisely one on a level. That means if you die trying to make your way to it initially, you're going to reload on the previous floor (waiting for it to load) and then load back into the level from the previous floor (again, taking time to load). Also they subdivide levels with broken machinery and walls, which adds to the atmosphere but makes it really loving hard to get back to it when you want to save.

Remember I said the enemy aesthetics were ok? Not so much for how they're used. There's virtually no, if any static placements, they seemingly all pop in on tripwires that activate at certain parts of the game. Some monster closets are ok, but the entire. loving. Game. You spend a good amount of time running into these tripwires, possibly dying, then doing the reload/double reload tango. That's why you end up running to save so much.

There's supposed to be a hiding mechanic in the game. Don't bother. There's like exactly one scripted scene where hiding works out. There's another scripted scene where running actually works better. This is because after sprinting for a while, most enemies will lose interest in you.

I can't figure out the guns. They work decently enough, but the reload rules seem to vary between "anytime!" to "better be at 0 before I'll let you". It's really loving fun to be at 5 / 40 bullets on your rifle and wondering if you should pop off those five just to have it fully loaded. Sometimes the reload key just didn't work, which I think ties into a bug I ran into where the interact key just wouldn't work when switching levels, necessitating reload or game restart (doing the double reload tango).

All in all, if the game had major fundamental changes to the gameplay, like cutting out all the bullshit running around and utilizing more static enemy placements/pathing you could either conclusively eliminate or learn to how to avoid, the environment and storyline would combine with those changes to result in a decent budget survival horror. As is, it's such a long goddamn slog that it's not worth any amount of money. The "Mostly Positive" reviews and the 7-8s from sites are a lie. Save yourself next Steam sale, maybe put that cash towards Evil Within 2 or Wolfenstein 2 if they see any discount, or gently caress, just buy those games. They should be good.