Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Selling the phone would greatly offend the person who got me it

It was good, I really liked it, then they hosed it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jacobus Spades posted:

I'm surprised more of you haven't destroyed your Pixels given the lack of water resistance and the sheer amount of semen that must be spilling on your phones from all the circle jerking.

See if these steps still work for you.

When you have a phone that's just so much better than every other Android you have a lot more time for circle jerks. All the time spent Googling "How do I unfuck what Samsung did" is time we have free, for example. Then once you account for all the time we're not dealing with a jelly screen or a stuttering UI, well, let's just say that all adds up.

That's not to say that circle jerking is the only thing we spend our time doing. I know I personally set aside a few moments each day to reflect on how my choice of consumer product makes me a better person than someone who chose more poorly. All in all though it's a satisfying lifestyle and I highly recommend it to anyone with the opportunity to experience it. Life is good in Pixeltown.

:smug:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I posted about a month ago asking for advice on a new phone; that new phone ended up being a oneplus5 :shobon:.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

You got beyond Sarnsunged, friend.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Is the built in SIP client on the Pixel dialer not a completed feature? I only have an incoming calls SIP account, and it seems to have registered the device OK. But it's not ringing, either on wifi or mobile data.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Dodoman posted:

I posted about a month ago asking for advice on a new phone; that new phone ended up being a oneplus5 :shobon:.

never settle

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Speaking of protecting your Pixel from cum showers, I have a spare clear Google Pixel (not XL) case that I'm not using. I'll ship it to you (in CONUS) for free. PM me. Please only ask if you actually intend to use it.

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_case_clear

Claimed

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 4, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Keyboard input for the assistant, that supposed to be live or still in roll-out?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Keyboard input for the assistant, that supposed to be live or still in roll-out?

I still haven't gotten it on my Pixel XL, my girlfriend had it on her Pixel in May.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dodoman posted:

Same. Sold my s8

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't afford a S8 otherwise I would've bought that or a pixel :v:

Tbh I thought you were making a oneplus joke when you posted about it earlier.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I was but still ordered one lol.

Didn't like the s8, got in your way too much.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 4, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Pixel sadly isn't widely available in Europe, I think it's for that reason that it has seen very few discounts. The cheapest I've ever seen the Pixel was 600 Euros, I've already seen the S8 for less than that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Incessant Excess posted:

The Pixel sadly isn't widely available in Europe, I think it's for that reason that it has seen very few discounts. The cheapest I've ever seen the Pixel was 600 Euros, I've already seen the S8 for less than that.

The S8 isn't just a phone, it's a learning experience

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

LastInLine posted:

When you have a phone that's just so much better than every other Android you have a lot more time for circle jerks. All the time spent Googling "How do I unfuck what Samsung did" is time we have free, for example. Then once you account for all the time we're not dealing with a jelly screen or a stuttering UI, well, let's just say that all adds up.

That's not to say that circle jerking is the only thing we spend our time doing. I know I personally set aside a few moments each day to reflect on how my choice of consumer product makes me a better person than someone who chose more poorly. All in all though it's a satisfying lifestyle and I highly recommend it to anyone with the opportunity to experience it. Life is good in Pixeltown.

:smug:

A phone is as good as it fulfills someone's needs and it's kind of pointless to poo poo on someone asking for help when they've already spent their money. Every phone has problems including the Pixel, though none of the thread's proponents seem to have a trouble with being in a perpetual beta test since Google can instantly push out OS updates and break your bluetooth or some other random feature for no apparent reason.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"I need to reconnect Bluetooth when I get in my car" and " the manufacturer UI skin makes the phone unusable" are basically the same thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

" the fact oneplus exists makes the phone unusable"

ftfy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh yeah "my display was installed upside down not as a defect but as a design decision and the OS having to constantly run inverted is causing massive crippling UI lag" is also right up there with mild Bluetooth jank that no Android phone ever has suffered before.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DEFEND. YOUR. PURCHASE.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Y'all outta get into fencing for how effectively you missed my point. Obviously there is a difference in quality between devices and that's fine if you're pointing it out to someone who is seeking advice on what to buy. I'm saying if someone posts in this thread asking for advice on a phone they've already purchase it's a dick move to belittle them instead of helping. What are they going to do, pull an extra $750 out of their rear end and buy another phone?

FAUXTON posted:

Oh yeah "my display was installed upside down not as a defect but as a design decision and the OS having to constantly run inverted is causing massive crippling UI lag" is also right up there with mild Bluetooth jank that no Android phone ever has suffered before.

I'm sorry, when did we start talking about OnePlus?

Internet Explorer posted:

DEFEND. YOUR. PURCHASE.

ATTACK. THEIR. PURCHASE.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jacobus Spades posted:

Y'all outta get into fencing for how effectively you missed my point. Obviously there is a difference in quality between devices and that's fine if you're pointing it out to someone who is seeking advice on what to buy. I'm saying if someone posts in this thread asking for advice on a phone they've already purchase it's a dick move to belittle them instead of helping. What are they going to do, pull an extra $750 out of their rear end and buy another phone?

It's very possible they're within their return period and can exchange or return the phone. And, this isn't just a mere "difference in quality", you're really underplaying it here.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jacobus Spades posted:

I'm sorry, when did we start talking about OnePlus?

ATTACK. THEIR. PURCHASE.

And what are we supposed to do, not talk about it?

Get the gently caress out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jacobus Spades posted:

A phone is as good as it fulfills someone's needs and it's kind of pointless to poo poo on someone asking for help when they've already spent their money. Every phone has problems including the Pixel, though none of the thread's proponents seem to have a trouble with being in a perpetual beta test since Google can instantly push out OS updates and break your bluetooth or some other random feature for no apparent reason.

what about peel smart remote

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think we should not be assholes.

That does not preclude pointing out that device X is better than device Y.

The person might be able to return it. Others reading the thread will get useful advice.

All responses don't have to be exactly, specifically how to fix a problem on that one single device if you're the owner of the device and you're out of a return window.

Also, responses don't have to be dick-ish. I think I'm going to start enforcing that part.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Edit: nah

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

DEFEND. YOUR. PURCHASE.

Samsung. Because they are the best.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

quote:

A new report originating from Korea mentions that the absence of English voice functionality on Bixby is due to lack of accumulated big data with Samsung. Big data is said to be the key to deep learning technology which learns and evolves the more users use it. Since Samsung is jumping late in the virtual assistant race, it lacks the competitive edge that other competitors like Google, Amazon and Apple have accumulated and honed over time. As a result, the English version of Bixby has been delayed.

Didn't they have s voice or whatever the hell for like four years? I guess mining data from that would have required people to use it tho

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

All my dumping on one plus and samsung and more to provide a warning to others than make the owner feel bad. There are so many complaints and issues that make them bad choices, and people that read this thread should know to stay away from them.

One plus and Samsung phones will give you headaches. You may think your situation is different or your tolerance for jank is higher, but you're still subjecting yourself to a subpar experience for the device you use more often than any other.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Didn't they have s voice or whatever the hell for like four years? I guess mining data from that would have required people to use it tho

Samsung is working on releasing an Echo/Home-style Bixby speaker too, so they're very intent on catching up in this market.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Samsung is working on releasing an Echo/Home-style Bixby speaker too, so they're very intent on catching up in this market.

"What if we did what someone else already does but worse?"

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Samsung phones do some things really well: the cameras and displays are excellent, and the phones usually look good.

But most customers are more like my mother-in-law than an XDA poster. My MIL was talked into a Galaxy S7 Edge by the salesperson at her carrier store. She barely touches any of the differentiating 'features' on it, but she constantly has problems finding the right menus/options/etc to get it to do basic things. Every time I visit her I'm troubleshooting a Samsung app, dealing with annoying notifications, etc.

Her husband, and other members of my family who are not enthusiasts, went with my advice and spent 1/3 of the money on the current Motorola E or G. I get almost zero tech support calls for these devices, and it's great.

That's why I bag on Samsung and will continue to do so. I'm not trying to insult anyone here. They're more expensive and generally more laggy, cluttered, and obtrusive.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, yeah, of course they are, they always skate to where the puck was but... their assistant quite literally cannot speak the language. I know that as a company they strongly feel that offering a nonworking solution is far more important than taking time to get things right but it's just a speaker and microphone and it doesn't understand English.

Also any mention of S-Voice is an excuse to dig this gem up:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

"What if we did what someone else already does but worse?"

FistEnergy posted:

Samsung phones do some things really well: the cameras and displays are excellent, and the phones usually look good.

But most customers are more like my mother-in-law than an XDA poster. My MIL was talked into a Galaxy S7 Edge by the salesperson at her carrier store. She barely touches any of the differentiating 'features' on it, but she constantly has problems finding the right menus/options/etc to get it to do basic things. Every time I visit her I'm troubleshooting a Samsung app, dealing with annoying notifications, etc.

Her husband, and other members of my family who are not enthusiasts, went with my advice and spent 1/3 of the money on the current Motorola E or G. I get almost zero tech support calls for these devices, and it's great.

That's why I bag on Samsung and will continue to do so. I'm not trying to insult anyone here. They're more expensive and generally more laggy, cluttered, and obtrusive.

These posts are great! Unfortunately people are wowed by the demos and impressed by the feature list. There's also a non-trivial amount of people that are just irrationally anti-apple, despite never having used any of their devices. These are the type that are super opposed to the "elite", yet fetishize wealth. Against nice things, but dream of big boats and big empty ugly houses. I am related to a few of these people.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Apple and Samsung are both poo poo, moto g ftw

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

This cannot be stated enough. My mom bought a Moto device when she finally moved up to the smartphone world - I'm not even sure if it's a G or an E. But it's a solid little device, it was dirt cheap, and despite it being her first smartphone (and maybe her second touchscreen device ever), I don't think I've ever had to computer-janitor it for her at any point. It just works.

It's about as close to the experience she'd have using an iPhone (as a completely non-power user) for a fraction of the cost.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Apple and Samsung are both poo poo, moto g ftw

Dont worry goonfriend. One day samsung will be your only phone company for a reason.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RZA Encryption posted:

These posts are great! Unfortunately people are wowed by the demos and impressed by the feature list. There's also a non-trivial amount of people that are just irrationally anti-apple, despite never having used any of their devices. These are the type that are super opposed to the "elite", yet fetishize wealth. Against nice things, but dream of big boats and big empty ugly houses. I am related to a few of these people.

Apple does a lot of things well but there are some basic flaws in iOS which make it very difficult to switch to from Android (at least it has been for me).

I'm actually finding it really difficult to recommend a device to my mum at the moment - the newer Moto models are unavailable locally, the SE is too small and the proper iPhone is too expensive (besides she's been an Android user for years so any change is going to be an issue)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Is the moto e4 an okay device for a kid?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Is the moto e4 an okay device for a kid?

No. Get a samsung anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

No. Get a samsung anything.

Lol. Yea the moto e is fine