Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well, that sucks. Garlic powder it is then I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
That would be silly. C. botulinum spores are literally everywhere, including on everything you put in your vacuum bag. Garlic is not exceptional in any regard.*

If you're storing any food in an anaerobic environment it can only be for a limited time at the right (refrigerated) temperatures - unless you can pressure-cook it (as in canning; to achieve temps able to destroy the spores), acidify it (as with jams, ketchup, or mayo), or keep it dry (dried herbs).

* Edit: Other than that people are more aware of botulism in regards to making garlic-infused oil. But sticking anything wet and nonacidic in oil for an extended period gives you the same problems.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 2, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Doing a 48 hour short rib and woke up to a punctured bag filled with water. How much of an effect on the finished product will that have, if at all? I'm guessing it was filled with water for maybe 4-5 hours after only being submerged for about 12. I'm just hoping I'm not going to lose a lot of flavor.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Welp

Sous vide on left, control on right.

165°F for 20 minutes. 3 minutes in a 550°F oven on one side, flip and top, 3 minutes broil on the other.

Definitely worth the experiment. You know how garlic bread can be pillowy? It's halfway between that and focaccia.

Might do canzones next.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I have been doing a lot of "big" cooks for friends and family and boy I am getting really tired of grinding pepper and sea salt but I do feel like freshly ground rules. Does anyone have any recommendations for grinders or something that make it easy to output a lot of ground pepper/seasalt quickly?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you've got a standard refillable with a metal spindle, you can take off the end and chuck it in a drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqadY4DUZVQ

The film canister part is just so you don't accidentally spill.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Knifegrab posted:

I have been doing a lot of "big" cooks for friends and family and boy I am getting really tired of grinding pepper and sea salt but I do feel like freshly ground rules. Does anyone have any recommendations for grinders or something that make it easy to output a lot of ground pepper/seasalt quickly?

Repurpose a hand-crank coffee mill.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Freshly ground salt is not a thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You don't need to grind the salt. For pepper I have a unicorn pepper mill and it makes pepper faster than you'd think possible.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
When I need to grind a lot of pepper I take the cap off the pepper mill and use a drill to turn the shaft. If the coarseness adjustment is important to you, this won't work well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Cuisinart spice grinder (a blade grinder) that I use for large amounts of pepper or any whole spice. It can turn things into a powder if you want. Because it’s a blade grinder it suffers from the same inconsistency that coffee blade grinders do but it doesn’t matter as much with pepper.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

:laffo:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

lifts cats over head posted:

Doing a 48 hour short rib and woke up to a punctured bag filled with water. How much of an effect on the finished product will that have, if at all? I'm guessing it was filled with water for maybe 4-5 hours after only being submerged for about 12. I'm just hoping I'm not going to lose a lot of flavor.

These are still cooking with no additional leaks but I'm still curious what the effect of the bag leak will be. I'm also curious if there are any food safety concerns I should have. Thoughts?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No food safety concerns. Seasoning will be altered but you probably retain all the benefits of the salt since you said it didn't flood in the first several hours.

Dry thoroughly before sizzling and season to taste!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Knifegrab posted:

I have an electric coffee burr grinder that I use exclusively (this is important) for spices. They are cheap on amazon and you do not need a fancy one. Thrown your peppercorns or whatever in, pulse for coarser grind or hold it down to get a fine powder.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you mean a blade grinder? Burr grinders aren't the cheap ones and they select your grind level based on a dial, not on how long you pulse them.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I've had the Krups F203 one for years and it's great. Easy to use, easy to clean, and doesn't take up much space.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Well this is a thing I guess

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
sous vide vomit yummm

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What am I looking at?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
A thing I guess.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Spotted Dick?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hopper posted:

What am I looking at?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrianBoitano posted:

Welp

165°F for 20 minutes. 3 minutes in a 550°F oven on one side, flip and top, 3 minutes broil on the other.

Definitely worth the experiment. You know how garlic bread can be pillowy? It's halfway between that and focaccia.

Neat. I wonder if there are any interesting flavors produced by prolonged periods of bulk fermentation just below the yeast die-off threshold. Maybe you could even eventually bread high temperature yeast using sous-vide?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Goast posted:

Well this is a thing I guess

Hot Pockets?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Is it risotto?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Burritos?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Large chunks of tofu with soy sauce?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Its clearly two brown hexagons with even browner dots. I don't see what the big deal is.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
But why would you sous-vide hexagons? That's way too complicated for such a simple dish that can be made effortlessly in any old pan in like 5 minutes...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A traditional round pan produces five uneven points on a medium rare hexagon, whereas sous vide will evenly cook through each side.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Human Tornada posted:

Hot Pockets?

I think so

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

BrianBoitano posted:

Do you mean a blade grinder? Burr grinders aren't the cheap ones and they select your grind level based on a dial, not on how long you pulse them.

Yes, blade not burr. Just a cheap one from Amazon.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm Ron Burrgrinder?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone tried adapting Chicken Parm to SV yet?
I'm thinking butterfly, brine overnight (buttermilk, salt, garlic, black pepper, italian herb seasoning), then SV to 147 for 90m, de-bag, dry, bread, then finish fry before a quick oven trip for melty cheese goodness.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

By the time you toast the breading fully, won't you have overlooked the chicken?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe, but that can easily be avoided if I split the cook and crash/chill ahead of time.

Chefsteps does it for a whole bird, but obv. cutlets/bashed tits are more surface area, less density
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/can-t-f-it-up-fried-chicken

Brine tonight, SV tomorrow, bread/fry/bake/plate Sunday.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I wonder if freezing before the fry step might help keep the chicken from overcooking.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Frying frozen stuff always makes me nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Will post results tonight.
Chicken is in the brineymilk now.
I'm going to try the fridge crash method, and I got really lazy and didn't pound the breast cuts because sv will cook them all evenly.