Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

rscott posted:

There is not a ton of demand for plumbers and electricians and any of the other trades, stop repeating that asinine meme.

I mean the construction industry is only so big, but there is plenty of job opportunity there at the moment. More than can be said for dozens of other blue collar industries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The "liberal media" also touted rising stock market numbers during the Bush era even as hundreds of thousands were being fired each month and countless people had their houses stolen from them.

sean10mm posted:

For white people. Minority boomers were turbo hosed all along. But generation talk is always implicitly about white people.

Good union jobs brought plenty of minorities into the middle class, too. They could buy homes, take vacations to places like Idlewild, and retire with a pension before they were 80. Civil rights has improved in some ways but we're living in an era where open murder by law enforcement is protected by the criminal justice system and there are no more union jobs or home ownership.

Trump sign!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqkQs6ul6_Q

Posting this one mainly for the cavalcade of insane people saying how great Trump is in the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8qeIfPuK2Y

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 4, 2017

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SeANMcBAY posted:

North Korea apparently has a working ICBM now.:stare:

They had one before, it just wouldn't go very far before splashing down

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Post 9-11 User posted:

Good union jobs brought plenty of minorities into the middle class, too. They could buy homes, take vacations to places like Idlewild, and retire with a pension before they were 80. Civil rights has improved in some ways but we're living in an era where open murder by law enforcement is protected by the criminal justice system and there are no more union jobs or home ownership.

Lmao if you think rust belt unions were designed or ever intended for minorities to benefit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Vincent_Chin

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The new Governor of Missouri just lowered the minimum wage from $10 to $7.70.

52% of people making $10 or less (salary) voted for him in 2016.

lol

http://fox2now.com/2017/06/30/greitens-to-let-repeal-of-st-louis-minimum-become-law/

What businesses is this supposed to attract exactly? No company that needs college educated employees is gonna move away from cities to loving Missouri. The only thing this is gonna do is depress the local economy and drive business away

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

I can't write papers so I'm an idiot doomed to a lifetime of mediocrity.

Nah, just make it grad school. Forums posting on bbs becomes the nessisary skill. poo poo post all the way to magna cum laude.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What businesses is this supposed to attract exactly? No company that needs college educated employees is gonna move away from cities to loving Missouri. The only thing this is gonna do is depress the local economy and drive business away

Right, but businesses can lower their pay, but not their prices, thereby extracting more profit in the short term, which is the only term worth considering.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Taffer posted:

I'm quoting this post from lots of pages ago because I want to call it out. It's not general southern cultural identity like you say, it's not watered down to some simple idea of heritage - people who proudly fly the confederate flag know EXACTLY what it represents. Oppression, slavery, and unnecessary war and death. I didn't grow up in the deep deep south like you, but I grew up in rural Missouri and the flag is flown proudly here and people will tell you exactly why they like it, and how it makes them proud.

I grew up completely surrounded by these people and in rural areas they don't even have dissenting voices, it's nearly universal, the proud support of the confederacy and what it represents. I have heard "the south will rise again!" sincerely spoken by true believers more times than I can even count. I've seen the flags fly on houses and the backs of trucks and I've gotten into frequent discussions with the very people who put them there - they want to secede, they deeply, wholly, and disgustingly racist, they throw out the N word with reckless abandon and what makes that even more sad is that most of them have probably never had a single conversation with a black person. It's inbred racism, it's inbred hate, they grow up learning and they are deeply proud of it.

It's disgusting and making pathetic excuses for it like you are a joke. It's totally indefensible, it's just as bad and flying a swastika and supporting nazi ideals. Don't pretend it isn't, by doing so you're allowing it to continue.

E: i know i'm preaching to the choir and nobody agrees with this dude but having spent a life hearing bullshit about how great the confederacy is i can't just see something like this and not get mad

I'm a native southerner.

I hate the loving south so, so much. It's full of bigots and racists and LGBT haters.

I find the Confederate flash disgusting and spit on it whenever I get the chance.

Like the other poster, I too was raised in this environment and taught was surrounded by lost causers.

It took me years, but I was finally able to get out from underneath decades of social programming and work towards becoming a better person.

Should those other southerners confront the bullshit they believe in? Sure. If it was up to me, I'd have forced cultural reprogramming.

But we don't, so if you want to change these folks minds, you have to work with them on at least some level.

I know it feels good to just completely poo poo on southerners, but it doesn't actually help solve the underlying issue at all.

Sometimes you have to be polite and be the better person when dealing with evil people.

Maybe instead of making GBS threads on those of us who were lucky enough to get out of that situation, you can realize that we actually have something to contribute to the situation.

Think about it in a war analogy; if an enemy soldier defects, you don't just say he's a piece of poo poo and shoot and kill him, you get the brains to come in and question him so you can understand as much about your enemy as you can.

And in my own personal experience, I'm a trans woman who grew up in that poo poo, if anything, I'm am abuse survivor, and getting poo poo on by supposed progressives for where I was born and grew up, even though I hated myself the entire time and it led to me being vehemently opposed to southern culture, is a pretty hosed up thing to do.

Ya'll.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SpaceCadetBob posted:

But the question that comes out of this is do you really need four levels of calculus to be successful in a generic computer science field? How much could we reduce the cost of higher education if all the fat of a bachelors degree was cut out, and people who just need some basic skills education in that field to be more employable could get it in a year or less.

As someone in this field, I've dealt with people who got degrees that weren't heavy on math and I'll tell you now: they're really bad at their job and don't last long.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

Lmao if you think rust belt unions were designed or ever intended for minorities to benefit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Vincent_Chin

Hey now, there were some pretty good unions in the Midwest!

Your point is still absolutely valid, I just wanted an excuse to post about the RUMs and the LRBW

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

namaste faggots posted:

Profoundly physically disabled, Ledgerwood participates in these activities only through the help of two government-funded programs that are now on the chopping block: Medicaid and legal aid.

I have no sympathy for this fucker. He voted for this poo poo, he can goddamn wallow in it till he dies

"But I didn't vote for this!"

V I'm not. Trump made his motives clear to everyone and these retards still voted for his rear end and are now shocked all the poo poo he said he'd do he's trying to do. gently caress each and every one of those motherfuckers, they're all too stupid to live.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 4, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SocketWrench posted:

I have no sympathy for this fucker. He voted for this poo poo, he can goddamn wallow in it till he dies

"But I didn't vote for this!"

I'm usually more sympathetic but this guy is frankly too stupid to live.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

rscott posted:

There is not a ton of demand for plumbers and electricians and any of the other trades, stop repeating that asinine meme.

Moreover, training in those trades is highly exclusive, and generally there are very significant barriers to access for women and minorities.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am rather shocked that 41 states have said no to Trump election comission request

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I mean the construction industry is only so big, but there is plenty of job opportunity there at the moment. More than can be said for dozens of other blue collar industries.

Yes, there's plenty of opportunity, because demand for the skilled trades outstrips supply.

Trade unions have worked very hard to keep it that way, by limiting enrollment into apprenticeship programs. Doctors, incidentally, do the same thing. What you want to do would bust the unions, depress wages for everybody, and wouldn't solve the problem you want to solve.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I'm pretty sure we have more arguments than that, like Trump acts like a child which lowers our standing in the world. Trumps tantrums divert effort and energy that should be spent addressing policy, appointing positions, etc. Trump and Republicans are currently working to take away everything that benefits you and me because you don't want *insert skin color here* to have it. Your racist ideologies fly in the face of everything that America is. Trump's foreign financial plans are set to gently caress the economy like a 10 dollar whore and lead to another depression.
Among others
but then I doubt this gently caress knows anything but "I vote Republican every time"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mynnna posted:

Doesn't even have to be a "unique" skilled trade. Lots of demand for plumbers, electricians, etc.

Looking up averages plumbers make about the half way point between a highschool degree and a college degree. A trade skill in general still falls into the range of "much better than having no advanced education, but not as good financially as having formal education". Like yeah, there is the plumber that owns his own business and makes millions and the college grads that are deep in debt and can't find any work but statistically college still raises people's incomes a LOT.

Like that is in no way saying the college situation in the US is not super hosed up right now. Some stuff has gone seriously wrong. But there is also some weird opinions people have that seem almost like that lucky duck comic of the millionaire complaining the duck got a free burial. Like college educated people aren't doing super well in america right now, but the scary thing is is they are still doing so much better than not college educated people.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

Yes, there's plenty of opportunity, because demand for the skilled trades outstrips supply.

Trade unions have worked very hard to keep it that way, by limiting enrollment into apprenticeship programs. Doctors, incidentally, do the same thing. What you want to do would bust the unions, depress wages for everybody, and wouldn't solve the problem you want to solve.

I disagree, I believe strongly that the state community college system should embrace training of construction trades, and apprenticeship rates should be softened so more entry level positions could be opened. There are currently enough open construction jobs in the country to re-employ every miner/resource extractor there is.

^This is what I've been trying to get across since your first post on the matter today Owl, there is room in the education world for people between high school level and college level that people could use. I'm advocating for more education opportunities, not less.

edit2: The mean annual wage for a plumber nationally is $54,000, what is it for a generic college grad?

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 4, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SocketWrench posted:

I'm pretty sure we have more arguments than that, like Trump acts like a child which lowers our standing in the world. Trumps tantrums divert effort and energy that should be spent addressing policy, appointing positions, etc. Trump and Republicans are currently working to take away everything that benefits you and me because you don't want *insert skin color here* to have it. Your racist ideologies fly in the face of everything that America is. Trump's foreign financial plans are set to gently caress the economy like a 10 dollar whore and lead to another depression.
Among others
but then I doubt this gently caress knows anything but "I vote Republican every time"

I almost did the same thing until I stopped myself so I'm not judging but dude, you're ranting to a YouTube comment.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am rather shocked that 41 states have said no to Trump election comission request

I personally wish there had been more "hard no" responses, but at this point I'm just glad to see any kind of pushback.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Hey you know what the main driver of increased costs in education is? I'll give you a hint: it begins with an "h", it's a compound word, and it's been in the news a lot the last decade.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

namaste faggots posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...f9e9c&tid=sm_tw

People like this make an extremely strong case for supporting the AHCA, only so it will innoculate the 2018 and 2020 elections from any possibility the GOP will hold on to any of the branches of government.

loving lol though

LOL.

*Merica votes R to give the other side a chance in 2032*

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey you know what the main driver of increased costs in education is? I'll give you a hint: it begins with an "h", it's a compound word, and it's been in the news a lot the last decade.

Hillaryclinton?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A massive obstacle to any sort of higher education mandate is that it would entail harmonizing state and district lower level education systems. Without such a harmonization, absolutely nothing about the situation would be improved, for reasons illustrated by the initial set of personal narratives that folks gave in response to the proposal.

ugly contest
Feb 17, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's certainly possible that I'm misinterpreting this post because I am a Missourian and am used to my state being (rightfully) poo poo on, but are you implying that companies could not manage to find college educated employees in Missouri? I know Missouri has terrible politics, but we do have universities and we do have cities. Do you have any real reason to say "No company that needs college educated employees is gonna move away from cities to loving Missouri"?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Hillaryclinton?

Yes and now that this evil force has been destroyed tuition will surly return to being <$5,000/yr at topic public schools. Any minute now. MAGA.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Reminder, a car factory was moved back to Canada(e: and probably Mexico, also Mexico and S. America has higher vaccination rates than the US) because Mecian workers need picture books for the instruction manuals.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/staceyhopkinsga/status/882244576500752384

Happy Independence Day*!

*freedom and voting rights only apply to Republicans

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Like, he's a story in the NYT from 1990 featuring a student complaining about paying $10,000/yr to attend Uconn (the best public university in New England). That figure included ALL expenses, including room and board. It's worth remember the absurd extent to which costs have grown in the past 30 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/16/nyregion/at-uconn-costs-squeeze-the-students.html?pagewanted=all

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ogmius815 posted:

ah, harakiri

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

pillsburysoldier posted:

I think the problem isn't calculus and "esoteric" math, but rather the weird labeling of things like finance as academic disciplines that are better served in, like, bootcamp or professional training settings instead of universities.

Decoupling them isnt an option, since business degrees make up an extremely large proportion of overall enrollment, though, and universities rely on that income.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

:lol:

What a dumb opinion.

Yeah, that's an impressively bad thought. Holy poo poo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ogmius815 posted:

hentai

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Ogmius815 posted:

Like, he's a story in the NYT from 1990 featuring a student complaining about paying $10,000/yr to attend Uconn (the best public university in New England). That figure included ALL expenses, including room and board. It's worth remember the absurd extent to which costs have grown in the past 30 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/16/nyregion/at-uconn-costs-squeeze-the-students.html?pagewanted=all

I made it out of undergrad at UT paying only $30,000 in tuition and I feel like I won the loving lottery with it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

namaste faggots posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...f9e9c&tid=sm_tw

People like this make an extremely strong case for supporting the AHCA, only so it will innoculate the 2018 and 2020 elections from any possibility the GOP will hold on to any of the branches of government.

loving lol though

Through all of that, he still supports Trump? "If I lose my services" he says, having only kept them because he sued when they were being taken away?

gently caress him and everyone like him.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
these kids need to stop watching porno animes or we'll never have affordable college!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've never understood why municipalities and entire States compete to be the low cost leader with our own goddamned populace. This is one of those distinctly American things that is just heartbreaking.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

what did homeownership ever do to you

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I disagree, I believe strongly that the state community college system should embrace training of construction trades, and apprenticeship rates should be softened so more entry level positions could be opened. There are currently enough open construction jobs in the country to re-employ every miner/resource extractor there is.

^This is what I've been trying to get across since your first post on the matter today Owl, there is room in the education world for people between high school level and college level that people could use. I'm advocating for more education opportunities, not less.

edit2: The mean annual wage for a plumber nationally is $54,000, what is it for a generic college grad?

I'm with you. I know a couple of plumbers and electricians and they definitely aren't on the low end of the pay grade. Hell, I know a plumber who was pulling in almost double what another friend who has a Bachelor's in Human Resources.

The problem I see is that the Gen X and higher generations have been pushed and pushed that college is your primary goal, and to fall back on a trade means you've failed. This is leading to an increasing demand for skilled trades with a dwindling supply, because no one wants to become a "dirty plumber".

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm sooooo loving glad my dad worked for the university I went to and I was able to get free tuition as a result. I probably would have ended up across the country with 150k in college loan debt otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

You're missing a few really important things.

First, we're in a boom period, and so filling every open job now is likely to lead to unemployment later. The unions recognize this, so they're not rushing to fill every open job.

Second, once you do hit full employment, that $54,000 number is going to drop like a loving stone. Unions lose their leverage, and all of a sudden employees have to compete for positions with employers rather than vice versa. Double the number of plumbers, and they'll all be making Wal-Mart cashier wages.

Third, the skilled trades are painful, dangerous, and unappreciated work. Most of the ironworkers, pipefitters, and electricians I know are proud of what they do, but they almost all want their kids to go to college and get an office job. These are people who, in many cases, make as much money as a Seattle software developer right now. They're also people who have to do things like run an arc welder lying on their back in the rain, enter into confined spaces that can easily kill you with hypoxia before you realize what's happening, and work in an environment where even if you're perfectly safe, somebody else's fuckup can crush your torso between multi-ton pieces of steel.

Finally, and most important, most people will still want to go to college. It's a marker of privilege - which is a big part of why a lot of blue-collar workers who are doing well, financially, still want their kids to go to college instead of into an apprenticeship. To really get what you want - good, exclusive opportunities for college graduates - you're going to need to restrict enrollment into universities. This is how Germany's vaunted system does it: if you're not on the university track from an early age, or if you ever fall off, you don't get a university education.

Ogmius815 posted:

Huge-state-funding-cuts? Those haven't been in the news, but cost-per-student at a lot of major universities stayed flat while tuition saw double-digit percentage increases year over year for quite a while.

(of course, that's just liberal professor propaganda - the real answer is crazy waste like universities installing a $12,000 climbing wall instead of $50,000 of cladding on the one new building they got to build)

• Locked thread