Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Cool Buff Man posted:

So the Lakers are getting Rondo

:(

Why do you say thing that you know will hurt me (and Rick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WhyteRyce posted:

George Hill is a good bridge PG. He can start while Fox figures things out and even play opposite him when he's ready for more. And we still have room for a SF. But that's a year longer than I would have liked

fingers crossed it's a team or player option on the third year. If that's the case I don't mind it so much while Fox gets an NBA body and a decent jumper.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The Glumslinger posted:

:(

Why do you say thing that you know will hurt me (and Rick)

I'm disappointed just like you are, because George Hill would have been better to watch and still wouldn't have been enough to make you win too many more games. My condolences.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I really, desperately, DO NOT want to wade into the Labour vs Capital debate and be faced with having to read 1100 pages of the Communist Manifesto, but why would this whole KD taking a paycut thing concern the Players Union at all? There are obviously real issues about labour vs capital in the modern world, but this contract seems to have absolutely nothing to do with it. As a whole, the players get 50% of league revenue, that number doesn't change at all if Durant signs for $500 million or if he signs for twenty bucks. This isn't labour giving the owners money - the players as a whole get the same, the owners get the same. I can see the top tier players getting a little annoyed that he's set a precedent that it's somewhat expected that you take a paycut to keep a good team together and win a championship, but again, that has nothing to do with the labour/capital divide, that's an issue between different groups of labourers. Him taking less money means that money goes to other players, not to the owners. He saved his team's owner some money, but that luxury tax money isn't going to the players, it goes to the owner's of teams who aren't spending as much money on their teams at the moment. I would think if you're anti-capital, you would like it if a bunch of owners weren't getting as much free money from another owner, or at least you wouldn't care (since you don't care how much tax Joe Lacob has to pay for his championship team, you shouldn't care how much tax money the Sixers owner receives).

This deal has nothing to do with labour vs capital, but from a competitive standpoint, it's still easy to see it as a weak move, so feel free to criticize him for that. In a regular job, taking less money to stay in a job and situation you like is usually a wise decision that people applaud you for, but sports are an inherently competitive industry for the labourers (the labourers compete directly against each other in an effort to win, whereas in my job I couldn't really care less if Honda out-competes Toyota or vice versa, as long as I get my paycheque) so it's a bit different. You're expected as an athlete to always be competing hard and helping your team win. It's weird tho, that KD made a decision that still resulted in him being on the best team, but I (and most non-Dubs fans) still think he's a bitch for it.

Sports are stupid sometimes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yooo

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882288274886328320

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Hahaha the fuckin Kings

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What the gently caress are the kings doing Goddamn

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Vlade just saying gently caress it and cashing out

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Sad Z-Bo is leaving but happy that the Grizzlies are not the Kings

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm sorry for your loss nick

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

The B_36 posted:

I really, desperately, DO NOT want to wade into the Labour vs Capital debate and be faced with having to read 1100 pages of the Communist Manifesto, but why would this whole KD taking a paycut thing concern the Players Union at all? There are obviously real issues about labour vs capital in the modern world, but this contract seems to have absolutely nothing to do with it. As a whole, the players get 50% of league revenue, that number doesn't change at all if Durant signs for $500 million or if he signs for twenty bucks. This isn't labour giving the owners money - the players as a whole get the same, the owners get the same. I can see the top tier players getting a little annoyed that he's set a precedent that it's somewhat expected that you take a paycut to keep a good team together and win a championship, but again, that has nothing to do with the labour/capital divide, that's an issue between different groups of labourers. Him taking less money means that money goes to other players, not to the owners. He saved his team's owner some money, but that luxury tax money isn't going to the players, it goes to the owner's of teams who aren't spending as much money on their teams at the moment. I would think if you're anti-capital, you would like it if a bunch of owners weren't getting as much free money from another owner, or at least you wouldn't care (since you don't care how much tax Joe Lacob has to pay for his championship team, you shouldn't care how much tax money the Sixers owner receives).

This deal has nothing to do with labour vs capital, but from a competitive standpoint, it's still easy to see it as a weak move, so feel free to criticize him for that. In a regular job, taking less money to stay in a job and situation you like is usually a wise decision that people applaud you for, but sports are an inherently competitive industry for the labourers (the labourers compete directly against each other in an effort to win, whereas in my job I couldn't really care less if Honda out-competes Toyota or vice versa, as long as I get my paycheque) so it's a bit different. You're expected as an athlete to always be competing hard and helping your team win. It's weird tho, that KD made a decision that still resulted in him being on the best team, but I (and most non-Dubs fans) still think he's a bitch for it.

Sports are stupid sometimes.

Sir this is a Wendy's drive thru

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Z-Bo is going to teach Skal, Papa John, and WCS the secret to grit and grind

but seriously, those are two good moves for the Kings! vets that can teach the kids and make them semi competitive while giving a clear window for when the kids should be good enough to be competitive on their own

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 4, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also the only thing to take away from Durant's deal is he thinks not playing with Russ is worth 9m a year, and hell I agree.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

George Hill is a good bridge PG. He can start while Fox figures things out and even play opposite him when he's ready for more. And we still have room for a SF. But that's a year longer than I would have liked

Partial guarantee on the third year, at least.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Someone post that Where Amazing Happens video of Zach Randolph with the Knicks clumsily dribbling the ball all around the court before haplessly jacking up a 30' three pointer that catches nothing but air. That's probably the Zach Randolph the Kings are gettting. I can't see him being all that engaged with a lovely team with a lovely culture that has a snowball's chance in hell of winning more than 25 games in the Murder Conference.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/882285899723177984

Well

Someone took the money the Kings have been throwing out begging for people to come to them.

well georgie, you could have played for the spurs for cheaper, but you would have been competitive. instead you're going to one of the worst front offices in the NBA. wonder how you feel about that (probably happy considering he got paid $57 million)?

gonna be weird to see zbo off the grizz after all this time. he was part of a core that did some real cool poo poo

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Do they have good pizza in Sacramento

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

All being on a lovely team means is you have more free time to spend the bag.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Sir this is a Wendy's drive thru

This is probably the response my half-formed opinions deserve, good play :hfive:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

The B_36 posted:

Someone post that Where Amazing Happens video of Zach Randolph with the Knicks clumsily dribbling the ball all around the court before haplessly jacking up a 30' three pointer that catches nothing but air. That's probably the Zach Randolph the Kings are gettting. I can't see him being all that engaged with a lovely team with a lovely culture that has a snowball's chance in hell of winning more than 25 games in the Murder Conference.

lol, i looked that up and its pretty funny.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

vaginal facsimile posted:

Do they have good pizza in Sacramento

Pizza Rock has a decent Detroit Red Top Pizza!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Randolph deal, I don't know. He be great to have around but we've already got a full front court and Joerger won't be able to help himself and will play him for 30mpg

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah that's a really good signing. Takes pressure off Fox in the short term and is able to slide over to the 2 once Fox is ready

I really like Hill, I wish the timing with him in Utah had worked out better. They were a great team whenever he was healthy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
George Hill turned down essentially 3 years/80 million from the Jazz to sign with the Kings.

What.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm dating a billionaire heiress. Any tips on how I can leverage that into buying a basketball team? Thanks.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Wait I thought they liked Fox?

I guess Hill can play SG?

I don't understand this move....

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm dating a billionaire heiress. Any tips on how I can leverage that into buying a basketball team? Thanks.

expose an owner as a racist/hooligan

basically i'm saying use her money to buy the Knicks

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Correct me if I'm wrong but have only 3 West teams gotten worse so far this offseason? (Lakers, Clippers, Grizz)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Consult with Gayle Benson, wife of Pelicans owner, Tom Benson.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

George Hill turned down essentially 3 years/80 million from the Jazz to sign with the Kings.

What.

That offer was in like February but yeah. Point guard market wound up being a lot softer than people expected once the cap number dropped

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Fox can get a normal rookie workload of like 20-25 minutes a night and if he's great out the gate Hill is a trade piece.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

WhyteRyce posted:

The Randolph deal, I don't know. He be great to have around but we've already got a full front court and Joerger won't be able to help himself and will play him for 30mpg

I think he and Hill are going to be good for Sac.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

You can like Fox without wanting him to be your only option at point guard right away and yeah Hill plays very well off the ball and can guard both spots

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but have only 3 West teams gotten worse so far this offseason? (Lakers, Clippers, Grizz)

Talk to me again in a couple hours

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
There's like 20 teams in the tax or near it, and Phoenix and Brooklyn are the only bad contract dumping grounds left.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're going to spend 12 million annual at a player, why a PF when your roster is basically full of Bigs and not a SF?

Do the Kings even have a natural SF at this point?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

expose an owner as a racist/hooligan

basically i'm saying use her money to buy the Knicks

Who wants to work in my front office?

You'll have to answer to some of the guys on my rec league team though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Who wants to work in my front office?

You'll have to answer to some of the guys on my rec league team though.

Sign me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hill is a good signing for Sacramento

• Locked thread