Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The B_36 posted:

I really, desperately, DO NOT want to wade into the Labour vs Capital debate and be faced with having to read 1100 pages of the Communist Manifesto, but why would this whole KD taking a paycut thing concern the Players Union at all? There are obviously real issues about labour vs capital in the modern world, but this contract seems to have absolutely nothing to do with it. As a whole, the players get 50% of league revenue, that number doesn't change at all if Durant signs for $500 million or if he signs for twenty bucks. This isn't labour giving the owners money - the players as a whole get the same, the owners get the same. I can see the top tier players getting a little annoyed that he's set a precedent that it's somewhat expected that you take a paycut to keep a good team together and win a championship, but again, that has nothing to do with the labour/capital divide, that's an issue between different groups of labourers. Him taking less money means that money goes to other players, not to the owners. He saved his team's owner some money, but that luxury tax money isn't going to the players, it goes to the owner's of teams who aren't spending as much money on their teams at the moment. I would think if you're anti-capital, you would like it if a bunch of owners weren't getting as much free money from another owner, or at least you wouldn't care (since you don't care how much tax Joe Lacob has to pay for his championship team, you shouldn't care how much tax money the Sixers owner receives).

This deal has nothing to do with labour vs capital, but from a competitive standpoint, it's still easy to see it as a weak move, so feel free to criticize him for that. In a regular job, taking less money to stay in a job and situation you like is usually a wise decision that people applaud you for, but sports are an inherently competitive industry for the labourers (the labourers compete directly against each other in an effort to win, whereas in my job I couldn't really care less if Honda out-competes Toyota or vice versa, as long as I get my paycheque) so it's a bit different. You're expected as an athlete to always be competing hard and helping your team win. It's weird tho, that KD made a decision that still resulted in him being on the best team, but I (and most non-Dubs fans) still think he's a bitch for it.

Sports are stupid sometimes.

This is the main issue and yes it absolutely is related to capital vs labor. It also isn't isolated to top tier players and frankly isn't even limited to professional sports. The idea that asking for a raise hurts your team gets ingrained in office settings as well. My wife works for a university and they structure raises in a fixed pool and make the information public such that the employees are guilted into not pursuing raises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Yea that doesn't seem much for George Hill

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2710284-zach-randolph-kings-reportedly-agree-to-2-year-24-million-contract

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I secretly wonder if Vlade mixed up the year when he has to give up the draft pick.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol, Portland isn't going to be able to dump anyone I guess.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If the Kings use the partial guarantee on Hill then he, Kuofos, ZBo and Temple all expire going into 2019.

That... actually makes sense and is kind of forward thinking. What the hell vlade

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/882295963175583744

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
gently caress today. America sucks. I miss you Zbo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How many Grizzlies eventually becomes Kings? I feel like this has been a trend.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but have only 3 West teams gotten worse so far this offseason? (Lakers, Clippers, Grizz)

Are the Lakers even worse? I guess depending on how good Lonzo is and if they sign anyone else.

Maybe Dallas? They're mostly remarkable for having done nothing whatsoever I guess and are just a year older

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's happening

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

He looks like a troller. I don't fuckin trust him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoeank posted:

If the Kings use the partial guarantee on Hill then he, Kuofos, ZBo and Temple all expire going into 2019.

That... actually makes sense and is kind of forward thinking. What the hell vlade

It's not really Vlade. Since Ken Catanella came over we've been giving out much better deals

https://twitter.com/TimMaxwell22/status/882296614278373377

Vlade, for all this faults, really did a good job of plugging leaks

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Hayward's website is down and is redirecting to his Facebook page. Clearly he's changing the color scheme.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

boston doesn't deserve nice things so I hope Hayward either signs with Miami or stays in Utah

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Danny is going to sign Hayward and then trade him immediately for PG

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

vaginal facsimile posted:

Danny is going to sign Hayward and then trade him immediately for PG

Please let this happen

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yes there are explicit prohibitions and those perks that you mentioned probably would attract the attention of the commissioner's office.

EvanTH posted:

There are absolutely rules against that. After the 1999-2000 season the league found out the Timberwolves had promised a completely average player with the completely average name of Joe Smith a future good contract if he'd sign with them for cheaper right then. They voided the last year of his contract and the T-Wolves had to forfeit FIVE first round draft picks, which is huge and hosed them up for a long, long time. It's almost certainly the main reason they have the longest playoffs drought in the league (made conference finals in '04), one year longer than the Seattle Supersonics (made semis in '05), a team which does not exist anymore.

Thanks to you both for the feedback. While I'd guess that some implicit arrangements fly under the radar, it sounds like the league does what it can to minimize them. Five first round picks is seriously dropping the hammer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

G-Hawk posted:

Are the Lakers even worse? I guess depending on how good Lonzo is and if they sign anyone else.

Maybe Dallas? They're mostly remarkable for having done nothing whatsoever I guess and are just a year older

The Lakers are worse because they gave up their best young player and replaced him with a rookie. This might be a good long term move but this season it will hurt them.

Dallas is almost all young guys now. They started playing decent in January onward, screwing up their spot in the draft. I expect them to be slightly better outside of Dirk. Roster continuity should help their improvement. The wild card is how much freedom Carlisle gives to Dennis Smith Jr. Yogi and Barea are probably better NBA players right now. Carlisle has said Smith Jr. will start, I'm curious to if he changes his mind after too many rookie turnovers and lapses on defense.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 4, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
They ended up reducing it to two, if I recall. But yeah they made an example. In that case though the Timberwolves literally put the agreement in writing so they were pretty stupid.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Will Tatum be able to get any playing time next season if Hayward signs with Boston

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

xbilkis posted:

Will Tatum be able to get any playing time next season if Hayward signs with Boston

Brad Stevens plays whoever he wants wherever he wants for better or worse so I don't see it being too much of a problem

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

He looks like a troller. I don't fuckin trust him.

Neubeck is very legit.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

cant trust any free agency leaks that arent from mike miller imo

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Neubeck is very legit.

Hahah I mean the trainer

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/882298340066635776

Real?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I guess this takes the Kings out of the running for Otto Porter, what does this do to that offer? Does he even have anything for Washington to match now?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
don't the kings have hella cap space? Hill and Randolph's money isn't that much.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

don't the kings have hella cap space? Hill and Randolph's money isn't that much.

Like 19 million or so now I believe

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/882302263519326208

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Bring back Dion, Pat!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Word is born

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

xbilkis posted:

He played like 90% of his time at Duke as a small ball 4, which is the duke style. He could do that off the bench and get minutes, with Brown starting, conceivably

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Boooooooo that blows

at the very least, it ensures that Tanner Ainge won't get elected to Congress since his dad broke up a team on the rise

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dexo posted:

They had something north of $50M in the offseason. 2Bog2Dan was about $10, Hill about $20M and Randolph about $10M. I think the rookie deals soak up the rest

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/882288357442801664
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/882288274886328320
https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/882288462702968833

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
I'm here for the Cool Buff Man reaction.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Aw crackers n cheese, my boy

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Cool Buff Man delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006